PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Bynum's agent disappointed with contract talks with Lakers

JordansBulls
10-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Source: LATimes (http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers17-2008oct17,0,3176928.story)

Andrew Bynum turns 21 on Oct. 27. Then comes an even bigger date.

The Lakers have until Oct. 31 to sign Bynum to a five-year contract extension, though discussions with the team have been "few and not significant," according to Bynum's agent, David Lee.

"I just don't get it," Lee said. "I do not understand certain things that happen. Andrew has taken everything the Lakers have thrown at him, including criticism. He doesn't do anything to respond other than go on the court. He just goes on with his business."

Lee is traveling from New York to meet today with Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak in hopes of working out a deal.

Bynum, who will make $2.8 million this season in the final year of his contract, can sign a five-year extension worth up to about $85 million, a figure that won't officially be determined until the NBA's salary cap for the 2009-10 season is announced next summer.

The Lakers currently do not plan on offering Bynum a maximum deal, and they want to gauge his health and on-court prowess over the final five exhibition games.

"I know that the Lakers take their sweet time doing everybody's deals," he said Thursday. "I'm just going to be patient and keep waiting like I am."

Said Bynum's agent: "It has to get done by the 31st. Otherwise there are, of course, consequences under the collective bargaining agreement."

innovator
10-17-2008, 11:42 AM
i thought it was david lee the player, and it become funnier when it said that his coming from new york....

i feel that andrew bynum deserves a max contract since he is the 3rd best center in the league

bman2380
10-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Maybe he should play this full season and he will earn the contract.

23LBJCleBrowns
10-17-2008, 02:25 PM
He is the most overrated player, he doesn't deserve a huge contract yet becasue what if he ends up being a huge *** bust.

MassoDio
10-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Does anyone honestly think that the Lakers will not get a deal done with Bynum at one point or another? Serioulsy? Bynum is overrated as far what he has done so far, and what he can do right now, but the kid can play, and he is improving still. WHat is his ceiling? Who knows, but with the lack of true back to the basket post players in the NBA right now, you gotta keep ones that are good in the post, have some sort of offensive and defensive game, and who are large, and somewhat mobile. I hate the Lakers, but I repect them, and they are not dumb enough to let this kid go. This is a whole lot of smoke being blown because there isn't much to talk about right now in the NBA. Pre season ******** stories.

jgonboricua
10-17-2008, 03:20 PM
lakers should make an offer quik other wise i have a weird feeling bynums agent could convince bynum into asking for a trade....

the bulls have more than enough assets to make a good pitch for him. ;)

$KnicksAndKobe$
10-17-2008, 03:20 PM
hes worth 8m now, give hm a FULL year before you discuss about max $mula$

Hellcrooner
10-17-2008, 03:39 PM
WHo didnt see this coming?

He iwll laso become a burden for the lakers because he is oging to make ill advised shots to inflate his numbers too

Ill say it once

Showcase him, make the already blown out of proportion hype even HYPER andTrade the ****ing dude for a Good PF or PG and lets win some Rings.

Pau can Play Center if they have someone Tough at PF like........

"I may not resign" Boozer.

DerekRE_3
10-17-2008, 03:40 PM
I can understand his frustration. Andris Biedrins got big money and he isn't even that good. Same with Sam Dalembert.

donttellmethis
10-17-2008, 04:29 PM
dang the agent really wants that 15 or 20% lol.

KnickVeteran
10-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Wow, lets play two more years at a high level without injuries before you think about 85 million over a 5 year span. That's whats wrong with players today. They haven't even proven themselves to be winners but they want the big contracts. Teams need to put their foot downs and tell them no, you're not worth that much.

DreamShaker
10-17-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm suprised they haven't gotten this done....overrated or not overrated....they aren't gonna find a better center for that price in a league with few big men who have post skills....

Wait....17 mill a year??? That is alot but I would till at least talk to him about it....

Hawkeye15
10-17-2008, 06:53 PM
The Lakers will give him whatever he wants, regardless of what he truly is worth, or any of the posters on these boards think. They have the means to go way over the cap, which they already are. Is Bynum worth $17 million a year, hell no. But you can't let another team just come and take him away. 7', athletic centers who may turn into a 17-12 player don't grow on trees

lakers4sho
10-18-2008, 11:11 AM
Remember guys, it's his agent. Agents...agents...agents...

Hellcrooner
10-18-2008, 11:13 AM
^Neither does Cap SPace.

On thing is having a KObe eating up half your cap, ok you bring the right pieces at his isde and he can win.

But eating hlaf the cap on a 17 points a gmae dude like you say?????

COme on!!!!

I can sadly see my team going into a Knicks mode, because if this dude gets 17 million kobe will opt out and say he is not going to settle for less than the Max again, because if the kid cant take a little Pay cut why should him?

THen pau will be next and of course he will say, why the hell must i take a paycut if this YOung Moron who still has not played a full season is nto wiling to do it.

Trade him NOW mitch!!!

theimortalone
10-18-2008, 11:39 PM
Why the hell would he ask for a max contract when he was hurt in 40+ games last year. I can understand Kobe asking for a max contract, but Bynum??? Come on Andrew get real. Play a full successful season then ask for it. Right now you dont deserve a max contract.

theimortalone
10-18-2008, 11:41 PM

Exactly!

Beno7500
10-18-2008, 11:44 PM
Bynum isnt worth that much right now

SAVAGE CLAW
10-18-2008, 11:46 PM
Hey Crooner you want to deal? mmm Werent you looking for a more typycal Sf? And some toughnes inside? Gallinari+Lee For Bynum :P

cmellofan15
10-19-2008, 12:08 AM
i thought it was david lee the player, and it become funnier when it said that his coming from new york....

i feel that andrew bynum deserves a max contract since he is the 3rd best center in the league

LOL!!!!

:laugh:

I'll tell you 3 centers who are light years ahead of him (no order they're just better)

Big Al
Yao
Dwight

KG#1
10-19-2008, 12:53 AM
asking way to much for a half season of decent play

Hellcrooner
10-19-2008, 02:38 AM
Hey Crooner you want to deal? mmm Werent you looking for a more typycal Sf? And some toughnes inside? Gallinari+Lee For Bynum :P Very Funny how about all your roster for Luke walton?

God i think im Overpaying...

JOSETHEALLSTAR
10-19-2008, 07:32 PM

thats what im thinking too

Sox Appeal
10-19-2008, 07:47 PM

Yep, I agree with you completely. For the first few years of Bynum's career, he looked like he was going to be your typical draft bust. (Just ask Kobe) Some injuries, poor play, etc. Then he FINALLY starts showing some promise, and he goes down with an injury. Maybe, if he stays healthy this season he'll be able to earn that MAX. contract.

ARMIN12NBA
10-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Yep, I agree with you completely. For the first few years of Bynum's career, he looked like he was going to be your typical draft bust. (Just ask Kobe) Some injuries, poor play, etc. Then he FINALLY starts showing some promise, and he goes down with an injury. Maybe, if he stays healthy this season he'll be able to earn that MAX. contract.

Bust? What injuries? He played a full season two years ago when he was 19. He also averaged 8 and 6 while shooting 56% from the field, which is pretty good for a 19 year old. He actually had a couple of monster games in his first month. 18 and 9 against the Suns and 20 and 14 against KG and the Wolves. He always had the talent and potential, but he couldn't sustain it for the whole season because he came out of high-school and obviously they play a lot less games in high-school. He started off very well in the first month and then tailed off a bit for the 82 game season with some promising games every now and then. Not a bust at all. Then last year he was playing great, but he was doing it consistently and sustaining that level of play and actually improving with more minutes until the injury. This year he will have to prove he can keep that level of great play going like last year and stay healthy like two years ago.

kylem4711
10-19-2008, 09:45 PM
I can understand his frustration. Andris Biedrins got big money and he isn't even that good. Same with Sam Dalembert.

he plays without getting hurt though

DODGERS&LAKERS
10-19-2008, 10:38 PM
This is all Andrew Boguts fault!!! That dude got overpaid and set the standard for bigs with at least a little bit of skill. Then Biedrinis and now Bynum knows he is bigger, stronger and more skilled than those guys so he thinks he has earned the right to max dollars. We all know he has not but we cant be mad at him. The Market was set by the Bucks and Bogut.

bogdanrom
10-19-2008, 10:41 PM
The Lakers are doing a good thing here. Let him have one good full season before risking. The Wiz gave $110 million to a player that won't play until like January or later.

STAT32
10-20-2008, 12:26 AM
Bynum needs to play a season a full season at a high level, then he can have a max contract. Why should he get a max contract before even playing his first game back from surgery?

homeofsport2008
10-20-2008, 12:31 AM
good luck.
(sell cheap nike shoes: http://www.homeofsport2008.com)