PDA

View Full Version : Peavy being shopped...

bigity b
10-17-2008, 09:59 AM
Saw on ESPN last night that the Padres are officially accepting inquires from teams interested in Peavy. That's a roud-about way of saying he's being shopped and their gauging the interest. My question, should the Orioles jump in?

I say yes for a few reasons,
1) he's a young, established pitcher we could put at the top of our rotation for many many years.
2) he's signed for another 3 years (i believe, maybe longer)
3) we have plenty of pitching prospects to send back in return
4) he's a guy to build a pitching staff around
5) he wont break the bank ($6.5 mil for a #1 starter? do it).
6) if we get him, this summer might be easier to attract other free agents - hello texeria, hello burnett
7) he would draw fans to the game who just want to see him pitch

In relation to other threads in the o's forum, i.e. who to trade for or sign, i would put this at the top of the list. Our starting pitching is our greatest greatest need. Sure we need a SS, but i would still put a top of the rotation pitcher above that.

brewersfan729
10-17-2008, 10:15 AM
He said he wants to stay in the NL and play for a contender.

McJoe
10-17-2008, 10:30 AM
1. The Orioles are not on his list
2. It doesnt make any sense for the Orioles to deal baseballs best prospect Matt Wieters which they will have too

bigity b
10-17-2008, 02:31 PM
damn reality

Brendan
10-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Yeah they would have to deal ALOT. Why not go out and get CC.

Its ashame that we cant sign big name FA's like that because of us being such a low market team

Eicholtz
10-17-2008, 04:17 PM
No.

bigity b
10-18-2008, 10:52 AM
Yeah they would have to deal ALOT. Why not go out and get CC.

Its ashame that we cant sign big name FA's like that because of us being such a low market team

I wouldnt say we're a low market team at all. A few years ago we had a payroll almost pushing $90 mil. Last year our payroll was around $70 mil. Low payroll teams are the Minnesota's, Tampa Bays, Milwaukee's, etc. Unfortunately we dont have a payroll half of what our inner-division competitors pay (boston, ny, toronto) but that didnt stop the Rays. They have the second lowest payroll in baseball. The problem with Baltimore is they dont have either identity - do we compete financially or with talent (hot prospects)? I got faith in McPhail he'll find a balance.

TChef02
10-23-2008, 04:13 PM
He is an amazing pitcher that I would love to have on this roster, HOWEVER....

With him having to come here in a trade the chances are what we would have to give up are some of our young prospects and in essence our future. Guys like Peavy are great for teams like the Angels, Dodgers, etc who are one great starter away from a championship and can afford to give up prospects. We would be better served sticking with free agent pitching and keeping our young players while building for a run in 2-3 years.