PDA

View Full Version : Ellis's Contract could be voided

RocketsRule
10-17-2008, 09:58 AM
The Warriors are retaining the option to extend the 30-game suspension of guard Monta Ellis, possibly all the way to voiding the six-year, $66 million deal he signed in July. Golden State would only throw that switch if Ellis struggles mightily to recover from an ankle injury that is now expected to sideline him until December or January, and even then would be a tough call, probably in summer 2009 at the earliest. He turns 23 next weekend, and players have come back from much worse. It's just that the W's don't want to be on the hook for $66 mil for damaged goods, since Ellis violated the contract by riding a moped and then lied to management by claiming he got hurt in a pickup game. In the unlikely event the deal is voided, Ellis would be waived but not go back to his previous status as a restricted free agent in a negotiating advantage for the Warriors. He would be unrestricted.

Sacbee (http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/1321556.html)

Beno7500
10-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Wow. I mean if they did this. wow

da wood
10-17-2008, 10:18 AM
i don't see this happening at all. they are not stupid. they just got rid of baron for this guy they will see this through.

RapsGuy23
10-17-2008, 10:23 AM
What a messed up situation. I wonder what the reports on his ankle really have to say. The Warriors would have to be convinced that the ankle injury would produce long term problems in order for them to make such a significant team altering decision. I hope to see Ellis in a Warriors uniform again though, the kid had loads of talent.

dre1990
10-17-2008, 10:44 AM
no way they do this

Hellcrooner
10-17-2008, 11:31 AM
they SHOULD do it, to send a message to all those stupid morons that are paid millions and then do whatever they want even if its forbidden by the team rules.

ANy one Jay wiliams and Stupid Motorcicle?

i wish Lakers had the bollocks to VOid Snowman Radman last year.

And for the "they just lost baron" thing.

Man they wernet going into playoffs this year, so use that 66 million in next years FA for example for AI

Sixerlover
10-17-2008, 11:37 AM
..and AI or a player like him would want to go to a terrible team in a tough conference because?

They shouldn't do this. Keep your young talent, or regret losing it for nothing.

KnickVeteran
10-17-2008, 12:25 PM
They wouldn't do this, He'll be back stronger than ever. If I was Ellis, I would continue to worry about getting back into shape. He'll have a lot of takers if He's let go.

bman2380
10-17-2008, 01:52 PM
No offense to GS fans but they going to be a lottery team anyways, why not save 66 million?

jimbobjarree
10-17-2008, 02:10 PM
you've made me dream of the possibilty of deron and monta in the same backcourt :drool:

I doubt it will come to this though

ramansingh3
10-17-2008, 02:23 PM
if they do choose to void his contract, i dont know of another team that can afford him? Maybe the Warriors make a deal for gordon? Personally I like Ellis better over Gordon, but that was a pretty stupid stunt to void your contract and then lie about it. The Warriors choosing to suspend Ellis for 30 games hurts them more than it hurts him, but they do have to send a message.

jimbobjarree
10-17-2008, 02:28 PM
why dont they just put him on the trade block so they make something out of him.

Chronz
10-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Cut him loose, the kid will never be the same again, why pay overpay for a poor mans Felton

why dont they just put him on the trade block so they make something out of him.

Because his value is ZERO

IndyRealist
10-17-2008, 03:21 PM
if they do choose to void his contract, i dont know of another team that can afford him? Maybe the Warriors make a deal for gordon? Personally I like Ellis better over Gordon, but that was a pretty stupid stunt to void your contract and then lie about it. The Warriors choosing to suspend Ellis for 30 games hurts them more than it hurts him, but they do have to send a message.

He's losing something like $5 million, I'd say it hurts him a bit.

AirJordanXVIII
10-17-2008, 04:29 PM
That would be some gay **** if that happened.

Hawkeye15
10-17-2008, 06:56 PM
I think they will leave the option open, and just wait to see what he looks like when he starts playing again. If they think for a second that his lateral quicks and jumping will never be the same, they should void it. Without his athletic ability, he is below average. Besides, it would send a message to the rest of the league, that yes, your free time is your free time, but there are 14 other guys who depend on you, and for the money you make to play a game, you owe it to your organization, the fans, and your teammates to treat your body like it should be

sportsnutzz
10-17-2008, 07:21 PM
Because his value is ZERO

Well as a Jazz fan I hope they are willing to void him and the Jazz can pick him up for "ZERO"

thrilla11
10-17-2008, 07:49 PM
that would suck
but its ellis fault i guess
poor kid

Beno7500
10-17-2008, 08:23 PM
I seriously doubt they would void the contract

TMAC94
10-17-2008, 08:45 PM
seriously would they do this?

ARMIN12NBA
10-17-2008, 09:00 PM
they SHOULD do it, to send a message to all those stupid morons that are paid millions and then do whatever they want even if its forbidden by the team rules.

ANy one Jay wiliams and Stupid Motorcicle?

i wish Lakers had the bollocks to VOid Snowman Radman last year.

And for the "they just lost baron" thing.

Man they wernet going into playoffs this year, so use that 66 million in next years FA for example for AI

I agree. I read up on this injury and it supposedly affects the rotation of your ankle, which subsequently can affect your speed and how you run. Monta relies on speed a lot and he may never be the same again. They should void the contract.

S.J.Basketball
10-18-2008, 09:42 AM
i don't see this happening at all. they are not stupid. they just got rid of baron for this guy they will see this through.

That's what I'm thinking.

b_rad23
10-18-2008, 10:24 AM
I'd like to see him in a Heat uni but I think it is just an idol threat to make sure he learns his lesson. And I agree he should; it was stupid and unnecessary. That's what he should be doing when he retires but right now he owes the Warriors who just paid out the big bucks.

lakers4sho
10-18-2008, 11:15 AM
And Lakers could sign him for the MLE...

:drool:

IndyRealist
10-18-2008, 11:51 AM

Because his injury could permanently impair his ability to play. For a short player who relies on quickness and mobility this is probably the worst injury he could have gotten besides a torn meniscus or a microfractured knee. It could prevent him from EVER being able to cut to the basket the same way. If after his recovery he's not able to put a full load on his ankle, then they'd better void his contract, tank the rest of the year, and hope for Ricky Rubio.

BkOriginalOne
10-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Personally, I wouldn't have paid ellis 11 mil per to slash and dunk. Sure he did get around 20ppg, but that was playing with a legit all star pg.
Now they want ellis to play pg?
Chris Mullin is going to stand for this much longer. The team is in shambles. they have a lot of young prospects though - i expect them to swing a deal for a decent player in the next 2 years.
I do think ellis would make a good running mate for a legit perimeter star.
Picutre ellis and kobe or lebron

_Sn1P3r_
10-18-2008, 01:04 PM
And Lakers could sign him for the MLE...

:drool:

Kobe is the SG but if Monta could play PG, that would be cool I guess.

GSW_Soul
10-18-2008, 01:48 PM

Probably if he doesn't go back the way he used to be but I doubt it...

HiphopRelated
10-18-2008, 01:56 PM
If he challenges the suspension, void it

who the hell would pay for Monta Ellis minus quickness??

JOSETHEALLSTAR
10-18-2008, 05:19 PM
that sucks for him

JayW_1023
10-19-2008, 05:34 AM
That would be harsh. Golden State already ridiculously overpaid Ellis, who is an unproven commodity as the main guy. They should pay the price for their stupidity and let Ellis take the money. If Ellis has a slight sense of conscience he will be motivated. If they void his contract he will walk and may become better than ever in another uniform.

I don't know which team had a more stupendous offseason: Golden State, LA Clippers or Denver? My guess is Golden State...

mariotubes
10-19-2008, 02:35 PM
Cut him loose, the kid will never be the same again, why pay overpay for a poor mans Felton

LOOOOOOOOL monta ellis is waaaaay better then felton

_Supreme_
10-19-2008, 02:47 PM
This is nothing more than Golden State's way to not have to pay Ellis as long as he is out injured.

They will never void his contract unless this injury causes him to be permanently damaged goods in the future (and there is no reason to believe that is the case).

cali72888
10-19-2008, 03:24 PM
That would be harsh. Golden State already ridiculously overpaid Ellis, who is an unproven commodity as the main guy. They should pay the price for their stupidity and let Ellis take the money. If Ellis has a slight sense of conscience he will be motivated. If they void his contract he will walk and may become better than ever in another uniform.

I don't know which team had a more stupendous offseason: Golden State, LA Clippers or Denver? My guess is Golden State...

ellis is not overpaid, the kid put up big numbers as a #2 and he will florish in his roll as the go to player once he comes back from the injury. 66 million for 6 years to a player who will lead the team in scoring is not overpaid, not to mention he hasent even peaked yet.

you all underestimate what the warriors have done in the offseason. they might have lost a good PG in baron, but they have added much needed depth to the bench and created a good core of a team by getting maggette and turiaf to join the team. randolph is a star in the making, dont expect the warriors to just fail because of elllis injury and barons departure. we have one of the best coaches in the league and we run and gun better then any team there is.

Chronz
10-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Well as a Jazz fan I hope they are willing to void him and the Jazz can pick him up for "ZERO"

I hope so as well, once hes waived his value will no longer be zero. Now hes a worth the gamble because hes not being paid like a star.

Chronz
10-19-2008, 06:35 PM
LOOOOOOOOL monta ellis is waaaaay better then felton

yea not right now he isnt

mariotubes
10-19-2008, 07:34 PM
yea not right now he isnt

yea not right now as in because hes hurt... compare stats from last year and then tell me whos better, ellis has a way better upside

Chronz
10-19-2008, 07:44 PM
yea not right now as in because hes hurt... compare stats from last year and then tell me whos better, ellis has a way better upside

Let me know when that Ellis returns

cmellofan15
10-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Right now Monta isn't worth Marcus Camby ( :laugh: ). But really who wants an overpaid guy who won't even play until about Winter? Well probably a good team who wants to expirement and try to get to the Finals.

blacknell
10-19-2008, 09:21 PM
why don't they do it?

ridere46
10-20-2008, 12:16 AM
It's too early to decide on anything. Every party involved: Ellis, the Warrriors, the NBA and the fans all end up as loosers. While the warriors entrusted their future to Ellis, you can't blame the kid for what happenned. No one in their right mind plans to get hurt on purpose. It was an unfortunate accident. Personally I'm more worried about the situation between Robert Rowell vs. Mullin/Nelson. There's an obvious rift and it's going to get bigger. Sucks for the DUBS.

cali72888
10-20-2008, 12:34 PM
can someone tell me how 23 year old player who averaged 20 ppg, 4 apg, and 1.5 steals a game getting paid 11 million a season is overpaid??

i dont see the logic in that.

carmello is putting up 5 more points a game and 3 more rebounds and he is getting paid 5million more a season, if you want to pay one million for a point more a game then so be it.

ellis is a steal.

JayW_1023
10-20-2008, 04:48 PM
11 million a year is franchise player money. I like Ellis, he has promise...but he isn't a proven franchise guy in my opinion. So yes, I think he is overpaid. 11 million based on potential is basically a move out of good faith...Ellis could've ended up like Jay Williams and the situation would've been really ugly.

AtlFANATIC
10-20-2008, 05:19 PM
I hear the Warriors are moving to Seattle.....the new team name is the Seattle Moped Brigade.

RapsGuy23
10-20-2008, 05:42 PM
can someone tell me how 23 year old player who averaged 20 ppg, 4 apg, and 1.5 steals a game getting paid 11 million a season is overpaid??

i dont see the logic in that.

carmello is putting up 5 more points a game and 3 more rebounds and he is getting paid 5million more a season, if you want to pay one million for a point more a game then so be it.

ellis is a steal.

A steal that made a moronic and costly mistake. I'm not going to patronize you by explaining how NBA contracts work. It is evident that Ellis' behavior was in clear violation of his contract. He also lied about how he sustained the injury (a clear omission of guilt in my book). He signed a $60 million dollar contract to play basketball and he' potentially thrown it all away. He's an idiot .