PDA

View Full Version : Shaq calls Spurs cowards, rips Nash and Suns' defense

LAKERS 24/7
10-17-2008, 12:52 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Shaq-calls-Spurs-cowards-rips-Nash-and-Suns-de;_ylt=AtT8HHbKogqPk_cB3PLaTxa8vLYF?urn=nba,11509 3

As anyone who has ever been around a New York nightclub can attest, Suns center legend, sheriff, rapper, etc. Shaquille O'Neal tends to shoot from the hip/lip when he gets in front of a microphone. He's like Charles Barkley, but with a deeper voice and rhythm.

Well, Sports 620 KTAR had a mic at Suns practice Tuesday, so, naturally, The Big Outspoken did what he does best: talk. The money quote came when he was asked about the Suns' first-round loss to the Spurs in last year's playoffs. O'Neal said he didn't mind that "Hack-a-Shaq" strategy wasn't changed in the rules during the offseason, but that there is no need to do it when a team is up 10 points. Shaq, via FanHouse:

"When you're down, I can see using that as a strategy. But when you're up 10, 15 points, there's really no need for that. That's a coward move. And he knows that. I'll make 'em pay for that."

You hear that, Gregg Popovich? You're a coward! A coward hiding behind a beard!

And the fun/embarrassment didn't stop there. Later in the media scrum earmuffs, Nash and Raja! Shaq asks how he's supposed to stay in front Tony Parker and company if the Phoenix guards can't, and then notes a blown defensive rotation on Tim Duncan's [fudge'n] three in Game 1. He also takes credit for James Posey and Jason Kapono's fat free agent contracts.

Bright Side of the Sun has the other highlights, but here's the full audio (.mp3). When Shaq talks, you listen.

cahawk
10-17-2008, 01:33 AM
Typical hating by a kobe Laker fan.
Gee, all Shaq did was win them 3 NBA titles.

Lakersfan2483
10-17-2008, 01:34 AM
You have to respect O'neal's candor, he's like Barkley, they say what is on their mind. We may disagree, but they both make pro basketball interesting.

cahawk
10-17-2008, 01:42 AM
Agree...and they both do it with a sense of humor & mischieviousness.
I enjoy that much more than the pat, cookie cutter answers we so often get.

Beno7500
10-17-2008, 02:29 AM
Not a big deal. none of em can play D

sportsnutzz
10-17-2008, 02:47 AM
I do agree that shaq is entertaining, but honestly he needs to get over the fact he is getting old and stop making excuses about loosing. Wouldn't it be funny if one day we get to watch Barkley and Shaq together commenting on games? :smoking:

Sevilla91
10-17-2008, 03:01 AM
well its not like anyone is going to fight him, he can say whatever he wants

LAKERS 24/7
10-17-2008, 03:12 AM

wth are you talking about?

Industry
10-17-2008, 03:16 AM

I'm lost here...what are you talking about?

Why does everything that Shaq does gets passed off as "Thats just Shaq being Shaq"? If ANYONE ELSE in the league says these things, they are looked at as a cancer to the team. Why are all of you so quick to bend over for Shaq, all the time?

sportsnutzz
10-17-2008, 03:18 AM
well its not like anyone is going to fight him, he can say whatever he wants

:laugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiY1D1lAH-A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS6kFvIbGJU&feature=related

Speaking of Shaq Vs. Barkley....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpoAqEbxS18&feature=related

Musiq
10-17-2008, 04:41 AM
Why does everything that Shaq does gets passed off as "Thats just Shaq being Shaq"? If ANYONE ELSE in the league says these things, they are looked at as a cancer to the team. Why are all of you so quick to bend over for Shaq, all the time?

very well put

exactly, its a double standard...

he rarely gives any of his peers any respect (ask any other center in the league, past or present), yet he demands people respect him. I for one, have no respect for him as a person and as a basketball player, i think he took his god-given abilities for granted especially on the downside of his career. The only thing he's got left is his ego.

that's my 2 cents:D

JayW_1023
10-17-2008, 04:50 AM
Shaq is funny...even when he tries to be serious. That's Shaq for ya.

Fool
10-17-2008, 11:18 AM

lol so you have to turn everything into Laker fans hating other people? :confused:

L@ker4Life
10-17-2008, 12:31 PM

Its not like the guy added anything to the story about Shaq sucking or anything like that. All the guy did was post a story and now thats hating. I gurantee that if a fan from any other team posted this you would not have said he was hating.......

Good find on this articlte man....Just ignore the window lickers in here!! :D

RapsGuy23
10-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Shaq being Shaq.....who would have thought??

MassoDio
10-17-2008, 03:08 PM
I don't know why anyone would think this is a big deal. Everything Shaq said in that interview was absolutely correct. The Hack-A-Shaq, while effective, is a chicken **** way to play basketball when you are already up by 15 points. It basically makes it look as if you feel like you can't win without doing it. I am not saying that the Spurs couldn't win with out doing it, in fact I think they could have and that makes it even more of a cowardly way to play, but it makes it look like Pop felt that they couldn't. And Nash and Raja's defense against Manu, and Parker was horendous in the series. People don't seem to realize that half the reason that Amare was in foul trouble so often was because of poor guard defense. The other half was because he makes some dumb *** plays. And there was a blown rotation on the Duncan three. So why is this a big deal again? When did it become a bad thing to tell the truth in sports?

stawka
10-17-2008, 06:34 PM
How is he ripping Nash and his D? He simply stated that if Nash cant stay in front of him, how is someone that's 7'1 330lbs going to stay in front of one of the quickest guards in the league? He didn't say "Nash is a **** defender, it's his fault I was stuck guarding Parker."

In a game full of pick-n-roll's, it's pretty hard for a guy who's 7'1 to guard someone who's barely 6'0 and half his weight. The amount of hate on his forum is unbelievable. As soon as something is said about Shaq, Kobe, Wade or Carter - everyone sharpens their horns, lowers their head and charges full speed with BS hate. Just quit already

IversonIsKrazy
10-17-2008, 06:50 PM
man, suns players, fans, staff will say anything to insult the spurs. bottom line-spurs have beat them in a playoffs series 3 times in a row, suns have never beaten spurs in the tim duncan era. Pop is one of the greatest coaches ever! Shaq's gotta start 2 shut his mouth, do u c TD hating like that? TD is BETTER THAN SHAQ HAS EVER BEEN! SPURS R STILL BETTER THAN SUNS! SUNS CAN'T PLAY D! SUNS R ALWAYS DISSAPOINTING! just skip past the spurs-suns seasons/playoffs of 08-09, suns should BOW DOWN TO THE PRESENCE OF SAN ANTONIO SPURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

L@ker4Life
10-17-2008, 06:53 PM
man, suns players, fans, staff will say anything to insult the spurs. bottom line-spurs have beat them in a playoffs series 3 times in a row, suns have never beaten spurs in the tim duncan era. Pop is one of the greatest coaches ever! Shaq's gotta start 2 shut his mouth, do u c TD hating like that? TD is BETTER THAN SHAQ HAS EVER BEEN! SPURS R STILL BETTER THAN SUNS! SUNS CAN'T PLAY D! SUNS R ALWAYS DISSAPOINTING! just skip past the spurs-suns seasons/playoffs of 08-09, suns should BOW DOWN TO THE PRESENCE OF SAN ANTONIO SPURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you need to lay off the magic mushrooms! WOW!

P.S. I'm not a Suns fan and I can't stand the Spurs simply as an NBA fan they are not that much fun to watch.

Granted TD is Awesome....but you went overboard with that statment. Shaq is/was the best big man of this generation

Joshtd1
10-17-2008, 07:29 PM
How is he ripping Nash and his D? He simply stated that if Nash cant stay in front of him, how is someone that's 7'1 330lbs going to stay in front of one of the quickest guards in the league? He didn't say "Nash is a **** defender, it's his fault I was stuck guarding Parker."

In a game full of pick-n-roll's, it's pretty hard for a guy who's 7'1 to guard someone who's barely 6'0 and half his weight. The amount of hate on his forum is unbelievable. As soon as something is said about Shaq, Kobe, Wade or Carter - everyone sharpens their horns, lowers their head and charges full speed with BS hate. Just quit already

IMO, I just think its the fact that he decided to say it pubicly that makes it seem as bad. It does sound like he insults his players that way, even if he isnt trying to.

dre1990
10-17-2008, 07:49 PM
typicaLL Shaq Daddy

thrilla11
10-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Shaq is just getting old and he's looking for attetion again
he's just a big kid adn by listening to him when he wails, we're just telling him that its ok
he needs a time out

juju14
10-17-2008, 08:42 PM
I'm lost here...what are you talking about?

LOL cancer??A cancer who has 4 titles and 6 finals apperance.I will take that cancer please.

JayW_1023
10-19-2008, 04:48 AM
Shaq said numerous times he wants a fifith ring before Duncan wins one. I think he should stop worrying about that and let his play on the floor do the talking.

TMAC94
10-19-2008, 06:38 AM
who thought shaq would speak his mind aye?

Rapthug
10-19-2008, 07:40 AM
Shaq tries to be funny but just isn't. Barkley is funny and actually makes decent points. Shaq just uses it for attention....especially since he's at the end of the career. I feel bad for the real Suns fans.....Shaq is not going to win them a title and I certainly can see them struggling just to make the playoffs.

I don't get how he got James Posey the "big" contract. Posey signed a basically verterns min contract to play for the C's and then Posey won a title with the C's (yes Shaq...that WAS without you) and got a crazy deal with the Hornets.

HiphopRelated
10-19-2008, 09:45 AM
He didn't get Pono a contract either, he was out the 1st half of the season, Pono turned into defacto second option with Wade and went unconscious from deep.

Last Shaq contract = Damon Jones

JOSETHEALLSTAR
10-19-2008, 07:29 PM
okay he sucks so whatever

FOBolous
10-19-2008, 08:16 PM
I don't know why anyone would think this is a big deal. Everything Shaq said in that interview was absolutely correct. The Hack-A-Shaq, while effective, is a chicken **** way to play basketball when you are already up by 15 points. It basically makes it look as if you feel like you can't win without doing it. I am not saying that the Spurs couldn't win with out doing it, in fact I think they could have and that makes it even more of a cowardly way to play, but it makes it look like Pop felt that they couldn't. And Nash and Raja's defense against Manu, and Parker was horendous in the series. People don't seem to realize that half the reason that Amare was in foul trouble so often was because of poor guard defense. The other half was because he makes some dumb *** plays. And there was a blown rotation on the Duncan three. So why is this a big deal again? When did it become a bad thing to tell the truth in sports?

well maybe instead of ripping the other team....Shaq should think about why the other team was able to utilize "hack-a-shaq" so effectively. And once he figures out the answer, he should get his lazy *** off the couch and solve that problem...this way, no team would ever be able to use "hack-a-shaq" ever again. cause at this point of his career, he's more of a liability than an asset to his team towards the end of the game and he needs to fix tat. and it's not like that problem is hard to fix either...shaq ripping the other team over this make him look bad more so than it did the other team.

cmellofan15
10-19-2008, 09:16 PM
okay he sucks so whatever

LOL He has been past the first round so we can't talk about him...