PDA

View Full Version : Manny

thegreatone08
10-16-2008, 06:35 PM
Just heard on Around the Horn that possible teams to sign Manny are the Yanks, Mets, Blue Jays, and Orioles. Thoughts on Manny in Baltimore? I really wouldn't mind it. He is one of the best hitters of all time is still has atleast 4 more years in him, maybe not in LF but he could still DH. I also believe he would put some fans in the seats. It would be a pretty sight seeing him in an O's uniform.

Khennick
10-16-2008, 09:48 PM
No! No! No! He is a club cancer and do to the young hitters on the Orioles what David Wells did to Sidney Ponson. It would be a disaster both for the payroll and the team!

Tragedy
10-17-2008, 01:49 AM
As a Red Sox fan:

He's a fantastic hitter, but any team that signs him will regret it. They simply will not be getting the Manny that the Dodgers saw. In the 7 1/2 years that I saw Manny play on my team, I NEVER saw him play hard the way he played for the Dodgers. The man is motivated by money, and he proved that when he was granted FA when he was traded. It was THEN that he really turned it on and played as hard as possibly could. What motivation will he have to play as hard as he can once he gets the contract he's looking for this offseason?

Teams should stay away, but some team will overpay him to death.

bigity b
10-17-2008, 09:46 AM
i wouldnt do it for a number of reasons.

1) we arent ready to compete and he will want to play for a contender im sure (or else he'll get real bored)
2) he's a veteran closer to the end of his career rather than the beginning of his career - how does that help the rebuilding process?
3) he's going to demand about $20 mil. a year. if we dumped veteran salray last year (tejada), why pay twice as much for another?
4) i wouldnt call him a clubhouse cancer, but he certainly isn't a role model for the young guys. he doesnt have the work ethic for the other outfielders to emulate
5) sure he'll be the LF (or DH) but isn't our strongest position (and least position of need) the outfield? We have Jones and Markakis entrenched with Scott, Reimold, and the other guy battling it out for LF.
6) wouldnt you rather spend the money on pitching? What else could you get for $20 mil.? - Texeria OR Sabathia + Burnett - not saying we'll go after then or get them, etc, but im just pointing out the cost equivalency

I like Manny, but it just doesnt make sense to come here.

Brendan
10-17-2008, 03:07 PM
No. He isnt the type of guy that we want around our young team

sboy2012
10-18-2008, 08:59 AM
Just heard on Around the Horn that possible teams to sign Manny are the Yanks, Mets, Blue Jays, and Orioles. Thoughts on Manny in Baltimore? I really wouldn't mind it. He is one of the best hitters of all time is still has atleast 4 more years in him, maybe not in LF but he could still DH. I also believe he would put some fans in the seats. It would be a pretty sight seeing him in an O's uniform.

besides the fact that i personally wouldn't want manny, why would manny want to come to baltimore? unless we would give him a ton a cash, he is going to a contender. why would we waste the cash on him when we could give it to tex?

Brendan
10-18-2008, 11:37 AM
I personally think he goes back to the Dodgers

Tragedy
10-18-2008, 12:46 PM
I personally think he goes back to the Dodgers
I doubt it.

He's going where the highest bidder is. He's going to be asking the Dodgers for the moon considering he realizes how desperate they are to retain him. A team like the Mets would make perfect sense - New stadium, trying to get the fans back into it, and a lethal weapon on offense.

thegreatone08
10-18-2008, 01:32 PM
He's going to an american league team. he can barely play LF now and he wants a 4 year contract. that makes him 40 when it's up. he will be DH'in not playing LF

Tragedy
10-18-2008, 02:54 PM
He's going to an american league team. he can barely play LF now and he wants a 4 year contract. that makes him 40 when it's up. he will be DH'in not playing LF
1) He wants a 5 year deal (He's also been linked to 6 and 7 year deals).
2) He's going where the highest bidder is. He does not care one way or another whether it's AL or NL.
3) Teams are being blinded by his two month play with the Dodgers; AL AND NL teams will want him.

TChef02
10-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Sammy Sosa #2...... big pay day and no production

thegreatone08
10-22-2008, 12:35 AM
Sammy Sosa #2...... big pay day and no production

How can you even compare Sosa to Manny? Manny is one of the greatest hitters of all time whether you like him or not. Sosa is a roid head that did nothing after he stoppin juicin. Manny on the other hand could honestly hit350 with 45 hrs and 170 rbis if he played every game hard. Now I know thats his downfall but you can't compare manny and sosa..sorry.

bigity b
10-22-2008, 10:26 AM
how about this comparison Manny = Albert Belle. Great great hitter with questionable attitude and flaky locker room influence who got too old before they knew it.

Arenas519
10-22-2008, 08:07 PM
im a big fan of manny but we dont need him on this team

Paul_msr
10-22-2008, 09:08 PM
The Orioles aren't ready for a hitter like Manny Ramirez. This team isn't even close to being a competitor so why blow the money? Only thing I can think of is that they hope signing a player like Manny would put fans back in the seats.

TChef02
10-23-2008, 03:49 PM
How can you even compare Sosa to Manny? Manny is one of the greatest hitters of all time whether you like him or not. Sosa is a roid head that did nothing after he stoppin juicin. Manny on the other hand could honestly hit350 with 45 hrs and 170 rbis if he played every game hard. Now I know thats his downfall but you can't compare manny and sosa..sorry.

I can compare him this way.... Sosa was one of the best hitters of his day and was consistent as well even if it was as a result of steroids. In the field however he was useless but the O's still decided to pay him way too much money late in his career and it was a waste! I see Manny as a guy who is getting old and looking for one last big pay day before throwing in the towel and not trying anymore.... as if he has been trying anyway. Yes, he is a slightly better hitter than Sosa but the difference isn't that far off and wherever he goes I see decent batting stats but nothing worth the $20 million+ per year he is going to want.

Aubrey Huff hit .304 with 32 HR's and 108 RBI's last season and made $8million
Manny hit .330 with 37HR's and 121 RBI which is better but for $20million

Is the difference between these two guys worth the extra $12million a season? We could use that money to really fill some needs a lot more efficiently then what we would get from Manny.