PDA

View Full Version : tony gonzalez

thephoenixson28
10-16-2008, 03:47 PM
I think if we would've traded for him I think they would be talking superbowl imagine that cardinals going to the superbowl on espn they were saying that they just wanted a 2nd round pick for him then you would have a receiving core looking like this larry fitzgerald, anquan boldin, tony gonzalez, and steve breaston. Defenses around the league would hate to face us. But knowing the bidwells they probably didnt want to spend any money

davekrieg lives
10-16-2008, 04:03 PM
Gonzo just signed a big contract like a year ago making him the highest paid tightend in league history, with all the players we need to re-sign in the off-season it just doesn't make sense to eat that contract. Unless ur willing to let Dansby, Antonio Smith, possibly Boldin, jj Arrington, Adrian Wilson, and Warner all go into free agency.

Plus Ben Patrick will develop into a very gifted TE, he's an 07 draft pick from a division 2 school, so it will take a while for him to really become a center piece in the juggernaut that is the cards offense, even this year Warner has hit him on a number of third down plays and given the youngen a shot....now if only patrick could keep healthy......Pope unfortunetly drops way too many passes and is primarily used for the end-zone...and even then he's unreliable.

chadillachembre
10-16-2008, 06:26 PM
im content with our two tight ends ben patrick and leonard pope. they are both very average with little upside but thats al we need from that position. unless we get a steal we dont need to upgrade the TE spot. we have other concerns. we need to drop some cash on a better secondary. DRC has really dissapointed me this year.

davekrieg lives
10-17-2008, 12:20 PM
How do they have little upside? Pope is a 3rd pick from '06 who had 5 td receptions last and caught passes totaling over 900 yards in Georgia, he's only 25 how could he not improve. I mean im critical of him because he has a penchant for dropping clutch end-zone grads and getting injured, but even I would admit he has an up-side.

As for Patrick, just watch him out there he makes great 2nd down grabs and occaisonal 3rd downers that keep the chains moving, to say a guy going from Delaware college to the NFL in a mere two years has no up-side makes litle sense to me but any way let me give you a little background info so you can see what im talking about, In Patrick's last year of college he went on to lead Division I-AA tight ends in receiving with 64 catches for 639 yards and six touchdowns and was named a first-team All-America … also as a senior at Deleware, he was rated the best tight end prospect in the NCAA Division 1-AA ranks by The NFL Draft Report

nashty13
10-18-2008, 01:14 PM
I'm not too big on our TE situation either, but getting TG doesnt make sense if his contract were too big. I didnt realize he signed such a large extention. Either way, losing JJ arrington isn't a big loss. We're gonna have to move on w/o warner soon anyway, Wilson just got a deal last off season. But yes, we do need to give Dansby, antonio smith and boldin new deals.

chadillachembre
10-18-2008, 04:08 PM
How do they have little upside? Pope is a 3rd pick from '06 who had 5 td receptions last and caught passes totaling over 900 yards in Georgia, he's only 25 how could he not improve. I mean im critical of him because he has a penchant for dropping clutch end-zone grads and getting injured, but even I would admit he has an up-side.

As for Patrick, just watch him out there he makes great 2nd down grabs and occaisonal 3rd downers that keep the chains moving, to say a guy going from Delaware college to the NFL in a mere two years has no up-side makes litle sense to me but any way let me give you a little background info so you can see what im talking about, In Patrick's last year of college he went on to lead Division I-AA tight ends in receiving with 64 catches for 639 yards and six touchdowns and was named a first-team All-America also as a senior at Deleware, he was rated the best tight end prospect in the NCAA Division 1-AA ranks by The NFL Draft Report

dude im not arguing that patrick and pope arent good right ends. they have a limited role recieving wise and it will always be that way with our passing attack. im saying they are consistant TE's that you can rely on for dump passes or some 3rd down convertions. as long as they are used sparingly theyre great. for their talent levels they fit the role perfect for what this system needs in a TE. I dont think either will be a pro bowler but they are very servicable players

davekrieg lives
10-20-2008, 09:51 AM
dont sleep on those te's, your correct in saying they are serviceable, but they youth is a major asset, they could easily develop into premier players, i mean it sounds like a long shot but dont be too surprised if it happens