PDA

View Full Version : Koufos shines, Sloan still demands more

jimbobjarree
10-16-2008, 02:38 PM
"He didn't just get the memo. He apparently read it, too.After a dismal 0-for-5 shooting performance in last Sunday's preseason loss at Portland, Jazz rookie Kosta Koufos took mostly safe shots in Wednesday's 120-119 overtime exhibition loss at Denver.And he made 5-of-7 from the field as a result.Still, even after Koufos had one block and seven rebounds to go with his 11 points in 20 minutes, Jazz coach Jerry Sloan said the 7-footer from Ohio State has "a long ways to go.""He's got to figure out what's going on in the game, what's happening out there, who he's guarding," Sloan said of Koufos, who got caught out of position on one critical defensive play in particular."I think everybody's pulling for him, but he's got to be held responsible for not knowing where he's supposed to be after a while," Sloan added."He's got to learn how to get to the right spots, know what play we're running, know what we're doing defensively. That's part of being a basketball player."And it's part of being a rookie, too."I'd hate to have seen him if he hadn't been here in the summer league," Sloan said. "If he hadn't been here in the summer league, he would have been way, way behind. He's got a lot of work to do to get better. But he's willing to work.""

Deseret News (http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705255709,00.html)

good old Jerry Sloan keeping players feet on the ground. Yeah he has a bit to go, but that game was very promising, I really hope he gets a shot with us this season, he could be an important part.

again, did anyone watch the game, how was he on defesne, if he can play some decent post defense that would be pretty damn good.

Raupie
10-16-2008, 03:07 PM
I didn't watch the game either, but that is some solid numbers for a rookie. I think Koufous has the work ethic to get the job done. I predict he will not be going to the DeLeague this year unless they cut Fez... because Almond sure won't be on the active squad. He is struggling to do much this preseason.

jimbobjarree
10-16-2008, 03:11 PM
yeah Almond fouled out of the Denver game.

It will be an interesting 2 weeks regarding the futures of Almond (has an option to be picked up by the team before the end of the month) and Fess (D League/cut/active roster)

but I really hope Kouf kan keep this level of play up