PDA

View Full Version : Are you growing tired of Shaq?

Rapthug
10-16-2008, 09:03 AM
I'm by no means a Shaq hater but I have to admit I'm tired of Shaq. His latest comments about "hack a shaq" have prompted me to post this thread. I'm not quoting him exactly but he said he'll make teams pay if they do that. Not sure what that means unless if hitting one out of two free throws is making them pay. Shaq should have retired a couple of years ago. He's a shell of what he once was. He's always hurt mostly due to being out of shape but always talking about how great he is. Yes Shaq, you have had a great career and a certain HOFer but your game now is average.

What further annoys me is his stupid one liners like calling himself "the big cactus" or whatever. He must spend hours trying to come up with these but manages only one halfway funny one out of ten.

Anyways, maybe I'm alone on this one, but I wish Shaq would retire. A great career but you are no longer the most dominate force in the paint. That crown now sits atop of Dwight Howard's head.

MTar786
10-16-2008, 09:35 AM
well, u def sound like a shaq hater

Industry
10-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Nah, he sounds like someone voicing an opinion. Lets be honest here. Shaq goes at Nash for not "staying in front of Steve Nash"...he goes at Amare for a "blown assignment" that gave Duncan the three pointer, but instead of blaming himself for being a poor free throw shooter for which in turns SPURS (pun intended) the "hack-a-shaq" strategy, he takes none of the blame and actually lies about "making them pay". He also stated that "hak-a-shaq" didn't work because they "lost to the Lakers"? LOL... Yeah, this is going to be a lllooonnnggg season...

Aapox
10-16-2008, 10:38 AM
If I could still play, I would, just for the money. But with that said, he has passed the point of annoyance with me many years ago.

king4day
10-16-2008, 10:50 AM
well, u def sound like a shaq hater

Gotta agree there.

I'm not a huge Shaq fan, but since he's one of the biggest names in the NBA, any interview he does, something will get blown up.

He wasn't specific, but if I had to guess, he's talking about hitting the FT's, dominating in the post or on D, as his way of payback.

Raidaz4Life
10-16-2008, 10:59 AM
Nahh Shaq will always be cool in my book

hdxstunts1
10-16-2008, 11:13 AM
Yes. I've been tired of shaq since he was a Laker! I thought he was good with Orlando but then when he signed with my 2nd least favorite sports team of all time (LA Lakers) just to win a few championships i disowned him. I hated him in miami and hate him in pheonix. He cant hit a free throw to save his life. Hack a shaq is the best coaching move ever by the way. He had 30 years to learn to shoot free throws and he cant say its because his hands are so big, yoa has big hands and he has a decent shot. Peja has giant hands and shoots 90% what is shaqs excuse? Lazyness!!!!!! I think he's way overated! And is slow fat and stupid. Has a gigantic mouth that only talks **** yet cant back it up. He needs to retire asap!

king4day
10-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Yes. I've been tired of shaq since he was a Laker! I thought he was good with Orlando but then when he signed with my 2nd least favorite sports team of all time (LA Lakers) just to win a few championships i disowned him. I hated him in miami and hate him in pheonix. I think he's way overated! And is slow fat and stupid. Has a gigantic mouth that only talks **** yet cant back it up. He needs to retire asap!

The only thing I have a problem with here is I don't think he went to LA just to win some rings. LA is a great place to play ball. He got the money and it worked out that LA was able to trade for Kobe when they did. Things fell into place and the right role players were there for them to make a juggernaut run for those 3 years.

hdxstunts1
10-16-2008, 11:31 AM
The only thing I have a problem with here is I don't think he went to LA just to win some rings. LA is a great place to play ball. He got the money and it worked out that LA was able to trade for Kobe when they did. Things fell into place and the right role players were there for them to make a juggernaut run for those 3 years.

True but he knew he wasnt going to win in Orlando and he knew LA was a winning team and would spend money to win! BUt i see what your saying there wasnt a team for him there yet but he knew that they would spend the money to get him a championship team! (Hiring Jackson! Trading for Kobe! Signing Rick Fox, Ron Harper, Robbert Horry! Trading Fro Glen Rice! Signing Rodman! Signing Karl Malone(Sell Out) and Gary Payton!) All these moves were Shaq demanding the wins so the Lakers would buy a championship!

I hate teams that buy championships Yankees, LAkers, Red Wings. It shows no class. Plus Lakers and Yankees havent one in a while so i guess im happy!

Frank Costanza
10-16-2008, 11:45 AM
never get tired of shaq, im tired of the public hating on shaq expecting him to either play at the same level for life to retire at the top of his career, almost all stars live out the twilight of their careers where the focus turns to leadership in the lockeroom expereince in the playoffs and for a team with little defence he is a big body that can still defend the center position, i dont want shaq to stick it out till his stats are 9.8ppg 7.8 rpg but his production now is far from that, i do consider him a big part of the big 3 shaq and amare make the most devastating front court in the west, prolly a lil more talented than the best front court in the east of J'Oneal and C Bosh, i hope shaq wins a championship in phnx, give the suns their first, prove that he can win a championship wherever he goes

PhxOakFan3220
10-16-2008, 11:52 AM
i think shaq is hilarious

rrude
10-16-2008, 12:07 PM
Shaq just isn't that funny. I think a good comparison here is Barkley. He's of a similar star stature, and carries himself with some bravado, makes a lot of brash statements.

Two differences, the second probably helps explain the first:

Barkley is funny

Barkley can laugh at himself

I don't think Shaq can really step back and stop taking himself seriously in the same way. And let's face it, being able to call your own BS is one of the most important parts of being an adult. And being funny.

Tblaze
10-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Well I've got to agree to him that the hack-a-shaq is just lame, plus I HATE watching freethrows.

Rapthug
10-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Shaq just isn't that funny. I think a good comparison here is Barkley. He's of a similar star stature, and carries himself with some bravado, makes a lot of brash statements.

Barkley is funny

I don't think Shaq can really step back and stop taking himself seriously in the same way. And let's face it, being able to call your own BS is one of the most important parts of being an adult. And being funny.

I agree totally.

UofA
10-16-2008, 02:12 PM

Barkley is funny

Excellant post. My thoughts exactly. Barkley's ability to laugh at himself is what makes him great.

rrude
10-16-2008, 02:14 PM
and you can't really see Shaq going on TV and making fat jokes about himself

barreleffact
10-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Honestly, i think shaq is funny. I take what he says in stride and its hilarious. I used to hate shaq. when he was with the lakers, he was the most arrogant piece of crap ever. but i think he has humbled(some). now its just funny. he fights with bill walton...hilarious and stupid. then the how my *** taste made no sense but it was funny...wrong, very wrong, but when he explained it it actually made sense. that new video he has on espn.com is freakin hilarious too.

S.J.Basketball
10-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Shaq is full of excuses and one liners. Period.

RapsGuy23
10-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Shaq always makes me laugh. He's near the end of his career sure but I think he can still help a team like Phoenix win it all. Love him or hate him Shaq has always been outspoken and at times a bit outlandish but that's who he is and I doubt he'll change anytime soon. The concern for me would be whether or no Shaqs comments/conduct are having a negative influence/effect in the locker room...I've yet to hear anything of that nature occurring.

Shaq's inability to hit free throws is another conversation in itself.

barreleffact
10-16-2008, 03:39 PM
His saying he'll make a team pay is pretty stupid but his reasons are valid. it is disrespectful, smart, but at the same time it shows fear when a team goes to the hack-a-shaq when they are up by 10. he was right about that so i pardon his threat and take the rest in stride

SwaggaIke
10-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Shaq could easily still average 20 a game if he hit his free throws.

Fireworld
10-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Gotta agree there.

I'm not a huge Shaq fan, but since he's one of the biggest names in the NBA, any interview he does, something will get blown up.

He wasn't specific, but if I had to guess, he's talking about hitting the FT's, dominating in the post or on D, as his way of payback.

I think his way of payback is acting in a new movie!

JOSETHEALLSTAR
10-16-2008, 04:48 PM
who cares freedom of speech

Beno7500
10-16-2008, 06:18 PM
I agree totally.

cahawk
10-17-2008, 01:48 AM
never get tired of shaq, im tired of the public hating on shaq expecting him to either play at the same level for life to retire at the top of his career, almost all stars live out the twilight of their careers where the focus turns to leadership in the lockeroom expereince in the playoffs and for a team with little defence he is a big body that can still defend the center position, i dont want shaq to stick it out till his stats are 9.8ppg 7.8 rpg but his production now is far from that, i do consider him a big part of the big 3 shaq and amare make the most devastating front court in the west, prolly a lil more talented than the best front court in the east of J'Oneal and C Bosh, i hope shaq wins a championship in phnx, give the suns their first, prove that he can win a championship wherever he goes

Shaq has been great for the NBA, good points.

ARMIN12NBA
10-17-2008, 01:57 AM
Yes. I've been tired of shaq since he was a Laker! I thought he was good with Orlando but then when he signed with my 2nd least favorite sports team of all time (LA Lakers) just to win a few championships i disowned him. I hated him in miami and hate him in pheonix. He cant hit a free throw to save his life. Hack a shaq is the best coaching move ever by the way. He had 30 years to learn to shoot free throws and he cant say its because his hands are so big, yoa has big hands and he has a decent shot. Peja has giant hands and shoots 90% what is shaqs excuse? Lazyness!!!!!! I think he's way overated! And is slow fat and stupid. Has a gigantic mouth that only talks **** yet cant back it up. He needs to retire asap!

Shouldn't that be a players ultimate goal? Not make money or get women...But to win championships. I would love for more players to go to teams just for championships...It means they care about winning.