PDA

View Full Version : Is the 08-09 NBA WC the strongest conference in pro sports history?

DenButsu
10-16-2008, 05:10 AM
Is the 2008-09 NBA Western Conference the strongest conference in the history of professional sports conferences?

No offense, 1909 National League, but this is a valid argument for the simple reason that last season, the Nuggets had to win 50 games to claim the eighth and final playoff spot in the West, the first time that ever happened in NBA history. And now, some say the West is even stronger.

Stronger at the top, stronger at the bottom even the bad teams aren't that bad...

Now, a skeptic of this whole best-West argument could point to the aging superpowers in Phoenix, San Antonio and Dallas, and the cast of "Thirtysomething" Shaquille O'Neal, Steve Nash, Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Jason Kidd.

The Suns, Spurs and Mavericks are an injury away from becoming the New England Patriots. Still, these teams are dangerous and could compete for home-court advantage.

And is Portland the new New Orleans? A year ago, the Hornets went from the lottery to a playoff run, similar to Utah two seasons prior...denverpost (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_10730813)

I chopped up the article a bit. Click the link for the entire thing.

I was actually a little disappointed the the writer didn't flesh out the idea a little more. The story is pretty bare bones. But the question raised is a good one, I think.

So, what do you think? Is the 2008-09 NBA Western Conference the strongest conference in the history of professional sports conferences?

JordansBulls
10-16-2008, 08:36 AM
I don't think it is strongest, it just may have the most parity.

Giaps
10-16-2008, 11:49 AM
I actually think it was better in 07-08.

29$JerZ
10-16-2008, 11:52 AM
07-08 is the better of the two.
GS won 40 + and still didn't make the playoffs, can't say that happens often.

Tblaze
10-16-2008, 12:06 PM
I agree, I think last year was a bit better.. Some top teams in the east made some nice additions, and a few western teams are losing the pace.

S.J.Basketball
10-16-2008, 02:58 PM
07-08 was insane. Warriors won 48 games and were still 2 games out of the last playoff spot. Ridiculous....

Dol-Fan
10-16-2008, 03:04 PM
We'll have to wait and see, but it looks like this year's WC might be even stronger than last year, which would definately make it the strongest ever.

The league is getting more talented in general, though, even the EC is much stronger this year.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
10-16-2008, 04:49 PM
This one's among the strongest ever, but others have been just as strong, too.

Bruno
10-16-2008, 07:00 PM
I don't think it is strongest, it just may have the most parity.

Out of curiosity JB, youve been an NBA fan longer than most here. What examples can you think of that were just as strong?

I went with the 3rd option.

MTar786
10-17-2008, 01:12 AM
last years was the best west ever. if la had bynum it would have only been better. now with houston ud think theyre stronger but seeing as the spurs are older, the warriors arent as good, same with denver and phoenix now theres only like 6 potential 50 win teams right now. houston, utah, la, san antonio, new orleans, dallas....... maybe maybe the suns.. we'll see

Lakersfan2483
10-17-2008, 01:36 AM
denverpost (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_10730813)

I chopped up the article a bit. Click the link for the entire thing.

I was actually a little disappointed the the writer didn't flesh out the idea a little more. The story is pretty bare bones. But the question raised is a good one, I think.

So, what do you think? Is the 2008-09 NBA Western Conference the strongest conference in the history of professional sports conferences?

No, not the strongest conference ever, but it definitely was one of the most competitive conferences in quite sometime.

Blue Tiger
10-17-2008, 02:57 AM
The Western Conference is strong but I don't know about the strongest ever.

DenButsu
10-17-2008, 04:12 AM
No, not the strongest conference ever, but it definitely was one of the most competitive conferences in quite sometime.

I'm curious - for the people answering "No", what conferences do you think were stronger, and when, specifically.

I'm not saying I disagree (in fact, I'm not enough of a sports historian to be able to give an accurate answer), I'm just interested to hear which conferences in what sports you think were actually better than the current WC.