PDA

View Full Version : Its Portland a smart move away from contending NOW?

SAVAGE CLAW
10-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Fact : Portland is 15 deep, and has young/good talent at every position.

Fact: They are not going to be strong at 09 free agencie because they still have unpaid contracts of Francis and Miles pending on them

Fact: Is not likely they would try to go into the strong 10 free agencie because by then they will have to offer new contracts to Roy, Aldrige, Webster and keep money for Oden, yes they have Allen and a big budget but they will have to use it on bird rights so no go for Lebron , Wade etc.

Fact: They have one of the Nicest expiring contracts out there in Lafrentz, its a lot of money and as he will miss the season, the team that lands him will only pay 20% of his salary.

Fact : they dont need to be that Deep for every position they can use an Odd Man Out in each of the five Positions specially since a lot of the players can play more then 1 position

so you can afford to give up 1 out of each of this trios of players and still be Hella Deep at each position

Group 1 Blake, Bayless, Rodriguez

Group 2 Roy, Rudy, Jackson

Group 3 Outlow, Webster, Batum

Group 4 Aldrige, Frye, Diogu

Gropu 5 Oden, Przybila, Randolph

Fact: Roy and Aldrige are ready to shine, Rudy seems ready too, Rudy and Roy can both Play PG if neeeded.

Fact: So far in preseason Oden seems to live to hype he could be an Instant Impact, Duncan or Shaq Style.

Fact: They could use a veteran STAR to help them make that leap to the next level of excellence, specially since Leadership and experience in Playoffs would be a lot of help.

Fact : the Weakest position is SF.

Fact : They have some extra picks to trade

Fact: they have some Players with upside developing in Europe like Koponen and freeland.

Fact: There are some Sf that are STARS that are rumored to be on the Trading Block liKe Carter,Kirilenko or Marion.

There are some Star Fowards that given certain situations could be had by mid season like Melo ( there was a Pistons offer entertained by Nuggets Gm) Dirk ( could get fed up of going nowhere in Dallas) .

I hardly doubt one of those teams, Specially Miami would reject having a 4 for 1 players trade wich brougth them a fat expiring Contract and 3 potentialy awesome players.

So think about this offer, Bayless,Batum, Frye, a pick and Freeland/Koponen for one of those Small Fowards.

Result

Blake/Rodriguez

Roy/Fernandez/Jackon

(Ak or Marion, or Carter, or Melo, or Dirk)/ Webster

Aldrige / Diogu/Randoph

Oden/Przybila

That could be a COnference finals at least isnt it?

bogdanrom
10-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Depends on what that smart move is. I think that while they are very deep that will cause problem later on when people will ask for more minutes, touches etc. Only time will tell.

LAKERS 24/7
10-15-2008, 10:07 PM
No.

Not in the west

BadBoy
10-15-2008, 10:08 PM
I would not say you are as deep as you think you are. However, you do have alot of talent all over the floor and every positon is covered very well.

JordansBulls
10-15-2008, 10:10 PM
Yes Portland is a smart move away from contending and that move is keeping the team together for another 2-3 years. No way should they trade anyone on that team yet.

Roy, Lamarcus and Oden is there future and all are young. Dominant big men in the paint and good wing player. They are prepared for the future, they have no need to rush anything.

SAVAGE CLAW
10-15-2008, 10:18 PM
^i Hardly doubt they can keep all of them togheter because im Sure fore example, Rudy fernandez can handle splitting 24/24 with Roy but he is not going to take long term playing 12 minutes becuase you have to leave room for Bayless.

Sergio is not going to settle for 8 minutes a game.

Diogu and Frye are not going to settle for 10 minutes each a game etc etc.

So , better cash some of them while they can.

Its realistic to keep Two talented players for position but not Three for position like they have now..

Ask Toronto how did it work out the Tj + Calderon tandem.

Rome
10-15-2008, 11:59 PM
Fact: they can't keep all their core players together that long so a potential trade is possible.

See how they do in the first half of the season.

Beno7500
10-16-2008, 12:45 AM
Hell no.

rhino17
10-16-2008, 12:51 AM
not even close

Beno7500
10-16-2008, 12:53 AM
Everyone thinks that just because they are young, they are going to be very very good. Memphis and Sacramento are young, what about them?

SAVAGE CLAW
10-16-2008, 01:06 AM
^ Roy is young but he is good as in " All star in just his second season" Good.

Where Kobe or Garnett All stars in his second Season?

Oden is Good as in , David Robinson walks into the league Good.

Rudy Fernandez is good as in "Manu ginobili just lands into the league after being a top player in europe for years " good with the + that he is younger than Manu was and with more experience than Manu Had

SAVAGE CLAW
10-16-2008, 01:11 AM
Anyway i really like Memphis line up for this year but they are not as deep as Portland and they lack a Good PF, since Darko is not the answer.

Tblaze
10-16-2008, 02:45 AM
Everyone thinks that just because they are young, they are going to be very very good. Memphis and Sacramento are young, what about them?

no everyone thinks they're very good because they're very talented. it has nothing to do with youth itself. I think there's alot more talent on the blazers roster then on the memphis or sacramento roster.

And about 2009 free agency, Francis' contract does come off the books than, and if Miles isn't picked up by any team and doesn't play 10 games, so does his.

KG#1
10-16-2008, 03:03 AM
And about 2009 free agency, Francis' contract does come off the books than, and if Miles isn't picked up by any team and doesn't play 10 games, so does his.

im pretty sure miles is gonna play 10 games so thats about 10 million less for a free agent

if they can keep this team together they dont need anyone but if they cant getting rid of outlaw, blake, and lafrenz for someone good is a great idea

THE MTL
10-16-2008, 03:04 AM
Fact : Portland is 15 deep, and has young/good talent at every position.

Fact: They are not going to be strong at 09 free agencie because they still have unpaid contracts of Francis and Miles pending on them

Fact: Is not likely they would try to go into the strong 10 free agencie because by then they will have to offer new contracts to Roy, Aldrige, Webster and keep money for Oden, yes they have Allen and a big budget but they will have to use it on bird rights so no go for Lebron , Wade etc.

Fact: They have one of the Nicest expiring contracts out there in Lafrentz, its a lot of money and as he will miss the season, the team that lands him will only pay 20% of his salary.

Fact : they dont need to be that Deep for every position they can use an Odd Man Out in each of the five Positions specially since a lot of the players can play more then 1 position

so you can afford to give up 1 out of each of this trios of players and still be Hella Deep at each position

Group 1 Blake, Bayless, Rodriguez

Group 2 Roy, Rudy, Jackson

Group 3 Outlow, Webster, Batum

Group 4 Aldrige, Frye, Diogu

Gropu 5 Oden, Przybila, Randolph

Fact: Roy and Aldrige are ready to shine, Rudy seems ready too, Rudy and Roy can both Play PG if neeeded.

Fact: So far in preseason Oden seems to live to hype he could be an Instant Impact, Duncan or Shaq Style.

Fact: They could use a veteran STAR to help them make that leap to the next level of excellence, specially since Leadership and experience in Playoffs would be a lot of help.

Fact : the Weakest position is SF.

Fact : They have some extra picks to trade

Fact: they have some Players with upside developing in Europe like Koponen and freeland.

Fact: There are some Sf that are STARS that are rumored to be on the Trading Block liKe Carter,Kirilenko or Marion.

There are some Star Fowards that given certain situations could be had by mid season like Melo ( there was a Pistons offer entertained by Nuggets Gm) Dirk ( could get fed up of going nowhere in Dallas) .

I hardly doubt one of those teams, Specially Miami would reject having a 4 for 1 players trade wich brougth them a fat expiring Contract and 3 potentialy awesome players.

So think about this offer, Bayless,Batum, Frye, a pick and Freeland/Koponen for one of those Small Fowards.

Result

Blake/Rodriguez

Roy/Fernandez/Jackon

(Ak or Marion, or Carter, or Melo, or Dirk)/ Webster

Aldrige / Diogu/Randoph

Oden/Przybila

That could be a COnference finals at least isnt it?

Check again. Cause Francis contract expires this season off their cap.

Tblaze
10-16-2008, 04:51 AM
im pretty sure miles is gonna play 10 games so thats about 10 million less for a free agent

if they can keep this team together they dont need anyone but if they cant getting rid of outlaw, blake, and lafrenz for someone good is a great idea

As of right now Miles is still the only non-guaranteed contract on a 16 man roster which needs to be cut by one.. besides even if Miles goes back on the cap, there will still be about 20M in capspace left for the 2009 free agent class. Of course it might be not realistic to add a multi-year max contract when the next year you will add 2 more max contracts and the year after that another one...

but the options are out there, so if we wanted marion, there's a possibility to simply sign him in the offseason.. I'm not saying it's going to happen, it's just a possiblity

Big Quett
10-16-2008, 05:34 AM
No.

Not in the west

They won 42 games in the west last year. And they have only gotten better with the additions of Oden, Rudy and Bayless. So what is your actual argument against them besides the fact that you dont like them because your a lakers fan?

I think they are one SMART move away from contending. but i dont think any of the above mentioned guys are the way to go. Especially not Carter.

daleja424
10-16-2008, 09:09 AM
I think Lafraenz, Frye, Bayless, and Batum for Marion and Banks would improve both squads.

Zefflin
10-16-2008, 09:40 AM
I think they should just sit back and watch this team evolve into a huge contender. It won't take long at all. They'll probably make the playoffs this year...barely if at all. They won't make it past the first round based on playoff experience with the youngsters of the squad. But after the humbling loss they'll recieve from the Lakers would be my guess they will be more then ready and able to go even further next year. Portland will improve every year for a long time.

Tblaze
10-16-2008, 10:08 AM
I think Lafraenz, Frye, Bayless, and Batum for Marion and Banks would improve both squads.

Like I said before, there's no point in giving anything up for marion right now as they can offer him a max contract next year if they want to.

Industry
10-16-2008, 10:40 AM
LOL, Portland is the first day of the season away from contending for a championship if all goes the way that it should

daleja424
10-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Like I said before, there's no point in giving anything up for marion right now as they can offer him a max contract next year if they want to.

You sound like the Bulls last summer. The baby bulls, full of talent, coming off a good post season run...primed to take the league by storm...but guess what... their "stars" took a step backwards. They could have traded for Kobe Bryant, but they thought they would be good last year without him, well guess what... they werent...and now no one will touch guys like hinrich and gordon with a 10 foot stick...

youth and potential doesn't equal wins...

blazerman
10-16-2008, 11:46 AM

They are gonna each be in NY for the lottery.

Portland is gonna be good for 3 reasons ROY,ALDRIDGE, AND ODEN.
Your Kings and Memphis dont have a player 1 player as good as any of these 3.

Mayo,Martin and Gay can score but none are a complete package or a defensive force. Dont get me wrong Id take any of the three in a heartbeat but not 1 before any of the Blazers 3.

Frank Costanza
10-16-2008, 11:57 AM
if portland wants a sf, and wants to unload youth there is only one move and i hate the guy but he produces, go after Vince Carter and give the nets something to rebuild with, both sides win, different conferences, get carter 3000 miles away from NY

Tblaze
10-16-2008, 11:58 AM
You sound like the Bulls last summer. The baby bulls, full of talent, coming off a good post season run...primed to take the league by storm...but guess what... their "stars" took a step backwards. They could have traded for Kobe Bryant, but they thought they would be good last year without him, well guess what... they werent...and now no one will touch guys like hinrich and gordon with a 10 foot stick...

I don't see that much similarities. People often say Portland are too young.
I agree they are young, but there's 2 things when it comes to youth. Maturity and experience. Clearly the blazers lack experience, I can't deny that at all, but the personalities of most players on the roster are very mature. They play a kind of basketball that's very slow paced (like detroit) unlike most other young teams. You wouldn't EVER see Roy make a streetball move or try anything stupid to be the hero. I think that's what people forget. Besides this team has lots of time to grow, and I think adding a star right now isn't smart. Maybe at the trade deadline when it's more clear where the holes are in the roster.

My point is Maturity is as important as Experience, and I'd rather have mature youth then experienced players that will break down any form of chemnistry in the team.

jgonboricua
10-16-2008, 12:48 PM

i can not beleive you put sacramento in the same sentence as portland the way you did, memphis i could see since they have 3 future all stars, and the bulls i could see but scramento has 1 guy in kevin martin who is a second option at best, really a pretty good third option on a contending team. sorry buddy but your team will be competing for the #1 pick this year, be happy for that....

and if portland made a deal for melo i think it would be awseom, maybe a bayless, outlaw and lafrentz package could do it?
rudy fernadez
b-roy
melo
aldridge
oden.....sick

NYMETS6986
10-16-2008, 01:14 PM
i think they can contend for a lower seeded playoff spot right now with the team they have...

8kobe24
10-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Portland has a great young core, and a bright future. But it takes time to contend specially in the West. I wouldn't count them out of the playoffs though, I think they are good enough to take 7 or 8. If all goes well for them, I'd say they would be a good contender in 2-3 years assuming they have the same core of guys.

blazerman
10-16-2008, 01:38 PM
i can not beleive you put sacramento in the same sentence as portland the way you did, memphis i could see since they have 3 future all stars, and the bulls i could see but scramento has 1 guy in kevin martin who is a second option at best, really a pretty good third option on a contending team. sorry buddy but your team will be competing for the #1 pick this year, be happy for that....

and if portland made a deal for melo i think it would be awseom, maybe a bayless, outlaw and lafrentz package could do it?
rudy fernadez
b-roy
melo
aldridge
oden.....sick

Portland will be adding a high caliber player anyway it goes by the trade deadline or next summer.

Portlands owner loves to win and I highly doubt that he would flinch at some luxury tax to re up a 4th star. After enduring 5 seasons of heavy losing, I think Paul Allen wants to win titles and has the chance of a lifetime as an owner and dont think he's gun shy when it comes to his money(about 40 billion). Only P. Allen and M. Cuban would be willing to pony up big luxury tax dollars for a chance to complete a championship team.

The Knicks like to pony up luxury tax dollars for a chance to get more pingpong balls in the lottery.

The nba is big business for an owner and paying extra money doesnt make good business sense but P. Allen bought the Blazers and Seahawks more or less for a hobby.

C_Mund
10-16-2008, 02:49 PM
I'd say it's not a crazy question, but we'll have to wait to see how Oden pans out before we start making predictions like that. It's possible if all of their players reach their potential this year or next.

JordansBulls
10-16-2008, 03:20 PM

Not really the same. Bulls were nothing but a jumpshooting team and people were overrating them because they swept Miami that year in the playoffs. Really we probably were the only team that could have beaten Miami in the East that year IMO because of Hinrich on Wade.
Portland has the inside and outside combination and multiple big men that can control the paint by rebounding, defending and most importantly by scoring. That's the difference between Portland and the Bulls.

Chicagofaithful
10-16-2008, 03:28 PM
im my opinion you are 2-3 years away from being Elite... (assuming everyone lives up to their hype)

Cali4rnia
10-16-2008, 04:01 PM
they lack small forward, they must avoid injuries and they need more experience which means u must learn from loosing which will happen with lakers, spurs and NO.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
10-16-2008, 04:47 PM
they just need to keep Roy, Lamarcus and Oden

TheShowzOver
10-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Portland should do everything in their power to get Lebron, that's a dynasty waiting to happen. However i doubt he'd go there

Bruno
10-16-2008, 07:06 PM
I'd say yes. They could trade a few of their young talents and get a star in return. If they wanted to be a contender immediately, they would offer up a package, including players other than Roy or Oden. They couldnt get a superstar, but a nice allstar.

Durant is hype
10-16-2008, 07:49 PM
Yes Portland is a smart move away from contending and that move is keeping the team together for another 2-3 years. No way should they trade anyone on that team yet.

Roy, Lamarcus and Oden is there future and all are young. Dominant big men in the paint and good wing player. They are prepared for the future, they have no need to rush anything.

Naw all the need is to have guys like Oden,Fernandez to play at the level the expect and the will be contenders,not right away though like in 2 years.

mrblisterdundee
10-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Portland is a smart move from contending now, but is facing financial uncertainty in the future. All their talent will want more money as the team gets better. Eventually, Pritchard must choose who stays and goes aside from Roy, Aldridge, Oden, and probably Fernandez.

Because of the need to trade some of their periphery players, Portland is in a good position to trade. Outlaw, Webster, Bayless, and Blake are all valuable trading assets, along with some of the other less valuable players. Any combination of those four, coupled with some of Portland's lower-tier players, could net a highly talented, and possibly somewhat young, veteran.

BoltLakerPadre
10-16-2008, 08:39 PM
Deep team indeed, but trying to keep them all together when all these contracts expire in the next couple of years is going to be hard. Hopefully Allen is willing to go over the cap by a fair bit for the chance to keep this team together.