PDA

View Full Version : Should the Nuggets extend Kleiza's contract by the 10/31 deadline?

DenButsu
10-15-2008, 07:49 PM
"The Nuggets have until Oct. 31 to sign forward Linas Kleiza to an extension or he becomes a restricted free agent July 1, 2009. " (rmn (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jun/26/carter-najera-hope-to-remain-with-nuggets/)) This is a kind of difficult decision for Denver to make.

Financially, waiting until the offseason of 2009 could be the better route to take. We're already well over the luxury tax, and LK is likely to command somewhere in the neighborhood of the full MLE, so even though his contract would probably be something like $5-6 million, Denver would pay twice that this season. But after AI's contract comes off the books at the end of the year, it will be easier to take on that chunk of salary load.

There's also the question of flat out do the Nuggets want to keep him as part of their future or not. Extending him now would be a major vote of confidence at a time when his performance actually slumped in the second half of last season. It's a definite gamble, and one that Denver would be regretting if Kleiza's development stagnated or regressed this season. (Not to mention the financial risk of committing over $20 million to the SF position in combined salary for Melo and LK). But then again, Kleiza's performance in the Olympics showed he might still be on a trajectory of improvement, and could be a real asset for the Nuggets to keep around long term. Locking him up now would probably be the best way to make sure that the cost would be reasonable. If he has a breakout season, Denver will be paying more next summer.

So, what do you think? Should the Nuggets extend Linas Kleiza's contract by the Halloween deadline? (And yes, I know I've made this poll before, but it's more timely now).

C-Dub
10-15-2008, 09:35 PM
we have a lot of forwards and guards who can play quick forwards, and plenty of offense
..just let him go

chaugh970
10-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Yeah Great idea c-dub, just let go the guy who according to Karl is "the hardest working player hes ever seen." why would we want a young player who brings his "A" game every night and a player who stays out of trouble off the court. That just wouldnt be nuggets fashion would it.

Theanswer76
10-16-2008, 04:34 PM
i agree keep him

IBleedPurple
10-16-2008, 06:27 PM
keep him......you can't tell me that a lot of teams wouldn't trade for him if he becomes expendable to us

it is widely known that he is a very good young talent, going over 40 points for a bench player will get your name mentioned plenty

SlowMo
10-17-2008, 05:28 PM
Wait and see how this season goes. Kleiza is an all-offense player. When he's in the zone, I love the guy, but he's not the most valuable bench player. If at the end of the year he's still progressing then offer him a new contract.

If he's doing well this year, but the team still doesn't look like a contender, then consider him as bait for a decent trade in January.

If he regresses, then let him go.

Right now, we really need to see how this group functions together. Our team will have a different look and feel than last year. I think it's going to work out for us, and we can push for the top spot in the West. If that happens, Kleiza will probably be a big part of that, providing energy and points off the bench.

So yeah, indecision for now...

avsman05
10-17-2008, 06:21 PM
I'm all for keeping him i dont know if you guys have been watching the preseason games. it is preseason but Melo, Kleiza, KMART and Nene have really stepped up on Defense. In addition, after that olympic showing Kleiza led them to the bronze medal game. Definately a keeper in my mind.

DenButsu
10-17-2008, 09:15 PM
I just voted "No".

He'll become a restricted free agent if we don't extend him, which means that we'll be able to retain him next summer if we want to. In the meantime, we'll give ourselves more time to evaluate whether we do want him in the longer term picture or not, and with his supremely reasonable contract he's under right now (combined with the Bird rights that will travel with him) he'll be a more valuable trade asset should we choose to move him before the deadline.

b_rock007
10-19-2008, 09:38 PM
He is one of my favorite nugs so I would like to see him stay for a long time. Although I know the nugs cant do much until Kmart's cancerous contract is gone.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
10-20-2008, 01:21 AM
Keep him. But I'll always remember that because of him we didn't get Artest :(