PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs add boiman

RustShack
10-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Posted by Mike Florio on October 15, 2008, 12:39 p.m.

The Kansas City Chiefs, a day after cutting linebacker Napoleon Harris, have announced the acqusition of linebacker Rocky Boiman.

Boiman has signed a one-year deal, presumably for the veteran minimum.

He was a fourth-round draft pick of the Titans in 2002. After four years in Tennessee, Boiman spent two seasons with the Colts.

While in Tennessee, Boimanís position coach was Gunther Cunningham, the defensive coordinator of the Chiefs.

RustShack
10-15-2008, 02:03 PM
The Chiefs were pretty interested in him a couple years ago...

RustShack
10-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Kansas City Agrees to Terms with LB Rocky Boiman
Oct 15, 2008, 11:35:54 AM

boimanKansas City Chiefs President Carl Peterson announced on Wednesday that the club has agreed to terms of a one-year contract with LB Rocky Boiman. Boiman is reunited in Kansas City with defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham who served as his position coach in Tennessee. No other terms of the agreement were made available.

Boiman (6-4, 242) has played in 86 games (19 starts) with Tennessee (2002-05) and Indianapolis (2006-07). He has produced 194 tackles (76 solo), 1.5 sacks (-7.5 yards), five interceptions with a TD, four passes defensed, one forced fumble and a fumble recovery in addition to 91 special teams tackles. He has also played in nine postseason games with one start, recording two tackles and 10 special teams tackles.

The Cincinnati, Ohio native originally entered the NFL as a fourth-round draft pick (133rd overall) of Tennessee in 2002. Boiman saw action in 54 contests (11 starts) with the Titans, registering 113 tackles (66 solo), 1.5 sacks (-7.5 yards), two INTs with a TD, three passes defensed and 59 special teams tackles. He attended training camp with Philadelphia this year, but was released prior to the season.

Boiman appeared in 43 games (21 starts) at Notre Dame, totaling 144 tackles, 8.5 sacks, five fumble recoveries, two forced fumbles and one pass defensed. He was a prep standout at St. Xavier High School in Cincinnati, Ohio where he earned all-state honors as a senior.

rhensley3
10-15-2008, 03:27 PM
i'm really not terribly inclined to put much faith in gun's judgement these days. his eye for talent isnt what it used to be.

Pipes
10-15-2008, 07:16 PM
We'll see... Not very excited about this signing...

touchdown bowe
10-15-2008, 08:45 PM
lame signing..

Gigantes4Life
10-15-2008, 08:51 PM
We're lame.

Kcfanbaby212*
10-15-2008, 11:11 PM
good STs player lol...I also remember us being interested in him a couple years ago....

Pipes
10-15-2008, 11:20 PM
Just another waste of paper move.... Way to go King Carl 2 thumbs up from me.....:up:...:rolleyes:

In_Ned_I_Trust
10-16-2008, 01:21 AM
Well he is a Notre Dame player just not the one most of you want.

rhensley3
10-16-2008, 09:01 AM
wow...a practice squad player getting a thread of his own! does anybody believe that another team's castoffs will make us better?

Kcfanbaby212*
10-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Well...he cant do no worse than Napo did this year. lol...plus he can play all LB spots...

RustShack
10-16-2008, 12:11 PM
wow...a practice squad player getting a thread of his own! does anybody believe that another team's castoffs will make us better?

Even though he played a key role for the Colts when they won the Super Bowl and also with the Titans when they were good(not this year). I don't think hes better than DJ or Williams... but hes probably our third best LB.

Pipes
10-16-2008, 07:34 PM
He sucks.... I mean I'm not knocking you about the thread... I probably wouldn't have noticed it out here in Cali... It isn't like the Chiefs get big play out here... but still I feel like most on here. He's just another guy that will play a small role if he's lucky and be just a blip on the radar... And I'm sorry he's not better then Donnie... I don't care how old or slow that man gets!

RustShack
10-16-2008, 07:43 PM
If Donnie was still any good he wouldn't be replaced by DJ Williams... Boiman could be another impact on ST like Walden... Edwards is healthy again, but he will probably get hurt a little bit after he makes 0 impact again.

Pipes
10-16-2008, 07:54 PM
I think you answered your own question... But anyways that still doesn't mean Boiman is better then Edwards.... And please correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Boiman released before the season? So if he's hands down better then guy's like Edwards and Thomas wouldn't it seem smarter to have grabbed him right after he was released?... No Boiman is just a filler to replace Harris nothing more.... The only way he sees extended time is if we see a ton of injuries...

RustShack
10-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Let me try to explain it a little better. Boiman now > Edwards now. Boiman prime(now)<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Edwards prime(years ago)

RustShack
10-16-2008, 07:58 PM
If Edwards was so good why was SD trying so hard to trade him? If hes so good still why didn't teams try trading for him? If hes so good still why weren't any other teams jumping all over him when he was released?

ldslngr10x
10-16-2008, 08:11 PM
If Edwards was so good why was SD trying so hard to trade him? If hes so good still why didn't teams try trading for him? If hes so good still why weren't any other teams jumping all over him when he was released?

Lasty year edwards had a good year......I think when hes healthy he will be a contributer.....his leadership/experience is priceless.....

RustShack
10-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Well we will find out this Sunday, unless he gets hurt again. Either way hes not anywhere close to what he used to be.

Pipes
10-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Let me try to explain it a little better. Boiman now > Edwards now. Boiman prime(now)<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Edwards prime(years ago)

You really are young huh! Let me try to explain it to you buddy... By putting a > sign next to his name doesn't make him better... No looking at stats from both players since 02' pretty much tells me who's better....So lets take a look heh... Donnie 846 tkls, 9 Sks, 18 Int, 1 fumb from 02 through 07... Boiman 180 tkls, 1.5 sks, 5 Int, 0 fumb in the same period... But to be fair we'll go with now but being neither has put up any stats of note this year we'll go off of last year... Donnie 104 tkls, 2 sks, 1 int, 0 fumb... Boiman 55 tkls, 0 sks, 2 int, 0 fumb. Numbers don't lie I believe after looking at these and then combining it with the fact that Boiman was looking for work while in the middle of his prime tells me that Donnie even in his advanced age is way more productive and just flat out better! I hope I was able to explain it better to you... To be honest with you I can't believe were even having this conversation...

RustShack
10-16-2008, 08:44 PM
I understand why you are so attached to him, and its so hard for you to realize when a player your attached to is washed up. I have no doubt Edwards career blows his away, but at this point in time Donnie is nothing compared to what he used to be. If he had the size in the first place he might be able to pull it off at this age, but hes just to old and has slowed down for his style of play. I think him having so many different injurys in such a short time says a lot about age effecting him...

Pipes
10-16-2008, 08:49 PM
I understand why you are so attached to him, and its so hard for you to realize when a player your attached to is washed up. I have no doubt Edwards career blows his away, but at this point in time Donnie is nothing compared to what he used to be. If he had the size in the first place he might be able to pull it off at this age, but hes just to old and has slowed down for his style of play. I think him having so many different injurys in such a short time says a lot about age effecting him...

Like Napoleon Harris....:D

touchdown bowe
10-16-2008, 10:16 PM
They both suck..end of story

Kcfanbaby212*
10-16-2008, 10:45 PM
im not a big fan of Edwards anymore...hes slowed down quite a bit...and is a liability in coverage now....and he doesnt help much vs. the run either..

Pipes
10-17-2008, 12:06 AM
I'm not a big fan of this version of Edwards aswell! Clearly he has lost a step... I was just trying to make a point! IMO saying Boiman is the 3rd best linebacker on this team was just plain ingnorant...

RustShack
10-17-2008, 01:36 AM
A couple years ago Edwards would be the best LB on the roster, hes just not his old self at all anymore. I think Walden has a chance to be a good player, if they ever decide to put him in and blitz him a lot.

Pipes
10-17-2008, 08:33 AM
Maybe.... But IMO short of DJ and maybe Williams everyone else is crap! I have respect for what Donnie has done but like I said earlier hes clearly los ta step... but as far as the rest of them noth'n but fillers.

Kcfanbaby212*
10-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Donnie E is nothing but a filler anymore either...and Boiman is young and still has his speed...he might not put up amazing numbers...but hes young and can still make plays....not to mention hes going to be a ST player anyway....he could be a good rotation in cases Edwards happens to get injured again....which is likely...but I would agree. Boiman is probably our 3rd best LB...mainly because Edwards has slowed and isnt much use in the run or pass game...

RustShack
10-17-2008, 01:20 PM
If Edwards had the size and could make hard hits in the first place he probably wouldn't be as bad right now. Ty Law was once the best CB in the NFL, age has caught up with him. Same situation Donnie is in.

Kcfanbaby212*
10-17-2008, 01:23 PM
^^ exactly

Pipes
10-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Call me ingnorant, nestalgic or whatever I just don't think Boiman's better then Donnie... I guess I'll just have to agree to disagree with you guy's on this one...

DKKC
10-18-2008, 10:51 AM
I bet if Donnie was playing a on a decent team that had a playoff chance he wouldnt be hurt all the time and he might even play with that fire he had in SD

Pipes
10-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Are you suggesting that Donnie is a pouter... These are professionals and Donnie as been around because he is one... The man is old most older players tend to get dinged up from time to time and Donnie is no exception... I'm sure if he was healthy he would be out trying to help this pathetic team get a win...

RustShack
10-18-2008, 01:34 PM
I bet if Donnie was playing a on a decent team that had a playoff chance he wouldnt be hurt all the time and he might even play with that fire he had in SD

I really don't think playing on a bad team gets him hurt more, especially since hes barely been on the field.

DKKC
10-20-2008, 03:50 AM
Im not saying he's hurt more but just doesnt play through the pain because it doesnt matter. He's not going to change anything by himself, the guy has aged and life in the NFL is almost over.

He's in KC for the paycheck and nothing more, but a lot of players do that.