PDA

View Full Version : Patriots 09 Draft

Pages : [1] 2

griff141
10-15-2008, 12:54 AM
I know it's very early to be talking about this but with the way things are looking now, it seems we could have another high 1st round pick. Who do you all think would be good prospects that the Pats would consider drafting? For me the names Rey Mauluga, James Laurinatis, and Taylor Mays jump out. Any thoughts?

bagwell368
10-15-2008, 09:08 AM
They will never get JL, they won't draft that high.

They need:

LT - Light goes to RT
ILB - Bruschi is done
CB - Deltha makes my head hurt
TE - Watson is so gone after '09 when his rookie contract is up - get 2
G - bone up the line
S - not one really strong player there anymore
P - a real kick butt one please

ERLynx
10-15-2008, 11:03 AM
I remember last year Tom Casale and Andy Hart saying BB would take a pass on Ray M if he were available, because he "isn't the brightest candle on the table."

MilledgeGomez
10-15-2008, 11:04 AM
I think we definately need linebacker help and secondary help. Deltha has really sucked lately and Harrison will not be back at age 36. Plus most of the secondary looks awful as it is. Also I would be surprised to see Bruschi back next year so i think we should get another LB because in the next couple of years we will likely lose Bruschi and Vrabel and there is no way Alexander or Woods would step in there

Ewagner
10-15-2008, 11:24 AM
I heard an interesting story this morning about the patriots which fits in to this thread. It basically spoke of how the biggest loss they suffered was Daniel Graham. Mentioning that he was a great blocker and was like a 6th OL man. It gave several examples of how he was the type of TE a team needed to run a power running game. something obviously the patriots are missing. It also mentioned that by the personel on the field you could tell what a team was going to run but if you have a TE like Graham on the field it made it more difficult to figure out pass or run. It also mentioned that a player like Watson would benefit as it would be more difficult for teams to guess if he was staying in for protection or was going out on a route. If you look at all the successful TE's in the league they have a good blocking TE on the other side. I'm not saying this is a first round player we need to target but it is definately the type of player that will need to be targeted in this upcoming draft.

The Intimidator
10-15-2008, 02:54 PM
It's a bit early for this, but I'll bite, because I love draft talk. I don't think that we go LB in the first round again, no matter who's available.

They NEED to address the secondary, without a doubt. I would love to see them bring in Malcolm Jenkins from Ohio State, but I doubt that he would fall to us. I still don't think that our draft pick will be that high, either. I think that a great guy for this system would be Victor "Macho" Harris from Virginia Tech, who we could get in the second round. If we want a real shutdown guy not named Jenkins though, a guy like Vontae Davis from Illinois would be a great pick. He's a six foot tall, 200 pound guy, which we need more of in our secondary.

If we go safety in the first round, look no further than William Moore from Mizzou. He's 6 foot 1, 220 pounds, and runs a 4.45 in the 40. Most importantly, he has shown prowess at both Strong Safety and Free Safety. This is something that Taylor Mays from USC and Myron Rolle from Florida State have not shown the ability to do. The Pats love guys who can be flexible, so Moore would be a great fit here.

As for offensive lineman, a great pickup for us would be Alex Boone from Ohio State. He's a 6 foot 8, 315 pound offensive tackle, who also fits the versatility factor. He can play both offensive tackle positions, and could be a steal if he falls into the second round.

Now, if we address the LB position, we should do it in the second round. Sean Witherspoon from Mizzou runs a 4.54 in the 40, and is constantly overlooked. He can play both ILB and OLB, so once again, versatility.

The bottom line is that we love versatile players, and any of these guys could be Patriots next year because they fit those molds. Thoughts?

griff141
10-15-2008, 06:31 PM
It's a bit early for this, but I'll bite, because I love draft talk. I don't think that we go LB in the first round again, no matter who's available.

They NEED to address the secondary, without a doubt. I would love to see them bring in Malcolm Jenkins from Ohio State, but I doubt that he would fall to us. I still don't think that our draft pick will be that high, either. I think that a great guy for this system would be Victor "Macho" Harris from Virginia Tech, who we could get in the second round. If we want a real shutdown guy not named Jenkins though, a guy like Vontae Davis from Illinois would be a great pick. He's a six foot tall, 200 pound guy, which we need more of in our secondary.

If we go safety in the first round, look no further than William Moore from Mizzou. He's 6 foot 1, 220 pounds, and runs a 4.45 in the 40. Most importantly, he has shown prowess at both Strong Safety and Free Safety. This is something that Taylor Mays from USC and Myron Rolle from Florida State have not shown the ability to do. The Pats love guys who can be flexible, so Moore would be a great fit here.

As for offensive lineman, a great pickup for us would be Alex Boone from Ohio State. He's a 6 foot 8, 315 pound offensive tackle, who also fits the versatility factor. He can play both offensive tackle positions, and could be a steal if he falls into the second round.

Now, if we address the LB position, we should do it in the second round. Sean Witherspoon from Mizzou runs a 4.54 in the 40, and is constantly overlooked. He can play both ILB and OLB, so once again, versatility.

The bottom line is that we love versatile players, and any of these guys could be Patriots next year because they fit those molds. Thoughts?

I agree that it probably won't be a linebacker in the first round. I'd like to see them take care of the O Line and the secondary early on. I'd also really like to see them go after a Daniel Graham type TE. He was a big loss because he was such a great blocker it was almost like having a 6th offensive lineman, not to mention he was good in the passing game as well which was confusing for defenses because they never knew if he would stay on the line or break out and run a route. I guess we'll have a better idea of what the draft might look like after we see what they do in free agency. For now though I'm just hoping they can play better and become a playoff caliber team.

The Intimidator
10-15-2008, 06:40 PM
I agree that it probably won't be a linebacker in the first round. I'd like to see them take care of the O Line and the secondary early on. I'd also really like to see them go after a Daniel Graham type TE. He was a big loss because he was such a great blocker it was almost like having a 6th offensive lineman, not to mention he was good in the passing game as well which was confusing for defenses because they never knew if he would stay on the line or break out and run a route. I guess we'll have a better idea of what the draft might look like after we see what they do in free agency. For now though I'm just hoping they can play better and become a playoff caliber team.

:cheers:

JerseyBrave
10-16-2008, 12:23 AM
With the record I think we will have I think our pick will be a top ten pick b/c I do not think we will win more that 6 or 7 games, with the way we have been playing we can barely beat crappy teams. I think it comes down to the quality they get at that pick, for example if the player they are going to daft merits a pick that high they draft him whether it be LB, CB, OL, or DE (b/c I don't think they will resign seymour, but they will resign wilfork), these are the positions of major concern. But if they feel than get the same quality at that position in the second round then they wait, we do have 2 second round picks, and I could possibly see the pats trading up in the second round, or into the late 1st round, to feel both the LB and CB. But I personally see the poats drafting a DE first than a LB b/c BB believes are the most important positions in his defensive scheme.

bagwell368
10-16-2008, 07:13 AM
But I personally see the poats drafting a DE first than a LB b/c BB believes are the most important positions in his defensive scheme.

A year when first here I argued strongly for a DE for some of those reasons. But Seymour is signed through '09, and they could if he warrants it be franchised one more time for '10. I agree Wilfork will sign, and he has already said he will sign for reasonable money to stay. Warren is signed through '12 or '14.

Great DL's get drafted high - like QB's. If we do draft 9th, and BB has a guy he wants that's what he'll do, since the following year they figure to draft 32, and the help will be scant. If not, then I'll go back to my list.

ERLynx
10-16-2008, 12:14 PM
I hate already looking forward to the draft... in October. I'm not mad at you guys, I just wish this wasn't the only thing we had to be excited about.

futureheisman
10-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Michael Orr we need a big physical Offensive lineman or a malcolm jenkins type

MilledgeGomez
10-16-2008, 07:46 PM
I hate already looking forward to the draft... in October. I'm not mad at you guys, I just wish this wasn't the only thing we had to be excited about.

Haha i know this sucks

futureheisman
10-18-2008, 09:56 AM
you also some free agents that are really appelaing to me

safeties: Brian Dawkins Kerri Rhodes Mike Brown
Corners: Kelvin Hayden Nnamdi Asomugha Cortland Finnegan
LB's: Mike Peterson Bart Scott Johnathan Vilma
DL: Julius Peppers

You have Harrison and Brushi coming off the books this year. I would love them to sing Peppers and Dawkins but would that be too expensive. I think that could do it and sign a corner like Hayden who is very good but under the radar.

The Intimidator
10-18-2008, 01:22 PM

You have Harrison and Brushi coming off the books this year. I would love them to sing Peppers and Dawkins but would that be too expensive. I think that could do it and sign a corner like Hayden who is very good but under the radar.

Peppers won't be coming here, as we are all filled up on the D-Line, and guys like Warren and Seymour are signed long-term.

Mike Peterson is injured too often for him to be considered to join this team, and Vilma is vastly overrated. Bart Scott is a good LB, but he isn't the impact player that we need on this defense. After a great 2006 season, where he recorded 103 tackles and 9.5 sacks, he dropped off significantly in 2007. He still recorded 93 tackles last year, but 1/3 of those were assisted tackles, and he had only 1 sack in 16 games. That's a significant drop off.

Adding Kerry Rhodes would be significant because we would be taking him away from the Jets, but he's another guy who has had his numbers decrease over the last 3 years. He recorded 105 tackles in 2005, which reduced to 98 in 2006, and then to 67 last year. He did intercept a career-high 5 passes last year, but I would still pass on him. Brandon Meriweather has really started to develop, and bringing in Rhodes would take time away from Meriweather. I stay away from Dawkins because he'll be 36 next season, and he is on the decline as well.

griff141
10-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Peppers won't be coming here, as we are all filled up on the D-Line, and guys like Warren and Seymour are signed long-term.

Mike Peterson is injured too often for him to be considered to join this team, and Vilma is vastly overrated. Bart Scott is a good LB, but he isn't the impact player that we need on this defense. After a great 2006 season, where he recorded 103 tackles and 9.5 sacks, he dropped off significantly in 2007. He still recorded 93 tackles last year, but 1/3 of those were assisted tackles, and he had only 1 sack in 16 games. That's a significant drop off.

Adding Kerry Rhodes would be significant because we would be taking him away from the Jets, but he's another guy who has had his numbers decrease over the last 3 years. He recorded 105 tackles in 2005, which reduced to 98 in 2006, and then to 67 last year. He did intercept a career-high 5 passes last year, but I would still pass on him. Brandon Meriweather has really started to develop, and bringing in Rhodes would take time away from Meriweather. I stay away from Dawkins because he'll be 36 next season, and he is on the decline as well.

I agree with you entirely. Just wondering what you thought of Nnamdi Asomugha? He flies under the radar because nobody ever throws his direction. I wonder if he could be considered if the price is right?

bagwell368
10-18-2008, 06:18 PM
I agree with you entirely. Just wondering what you thought of Nnamdi Asomugha? He flies under the radar because nobody ever throws his direction. I wonder if he could be considered if the price is right?

he is going to be very expensive. there are not many radars he is not on i can promise. doubtful.

futureheisman
10-18-2008, 06:23 PM

I would love to see him here. there needs to more pressure being put on the QB then there is right now. Get peppers would take care of that problem. You need to get brushi out of there. Mayo looks a stud in the making vrabel is getting older and I think the adulis thomas signing was a major bust.

We need to put more pressure on the QB peppers would accomplish that. Yuo could change the defense to a 4-3 in put peppers on the D-Line. To make the secondary a lot better than it is.

D-Line:Peppers Warren Wilfork Seymour-if he is not cut this offseason. I would to see them sign a guy like bart scott.

Your linebacker Mayo Thomas Scott bring in vrabel on blitzing downs.

BouGa
10-18-2008, 07:02 PM
No1 mentioned a RB yet? From what we've saw from Maroney so far early in his career, he isn't the RB the Patriots have always had success with. We need a tough big RB that runs right down the middle instead of dancing in the backfield like Maroney does.

I agree our defense needs some major adjustments, but this is one position that is underlooked because how good our offense has been, but only passing. Our running game was non existent last year and people knew that.

Haven't really followed the RB's in college this year, but we need a back like we had in Smith, Dillon, etc. We need a tough guy who isn't afraid to knock heads as Morris does. I wish Morris was an every down back but he isn't anymore.

The Intimidator
10-18-2008, 08:18 PM
No1 mentioned a RB yet? From what we've saw from Maroney so far early in his career, he isn't the RB the Patriots have always had success with. We need a tough big RB that runs right down the middle instead of dancing in the backfield like Maroney does.

I agree our defense needs some major adjustments, but this is one position that is underlooked because how good our offense has been, but only passing. Our running game was non existent last year and people knew that.

Haven't really followed the RB's in college this year, but we need a back like we had in Smith, Dillon, etc. We need a tough guy who isn't afraid to knock heads as Morris does. I wish Morris was an every down back but he isn't anymore.

We would be smart to draft someone, but who? Javon Ringer from Michigan State?

celticfan
10-18-2008, 10:22 PM
What ever we do it has to be on defense.

Patsfan56
10-18-2008, 11:36 PM
I had heard this week that this upcoming draft could be huge based upon the conclusion of the existing players agreement in 2010. If this is tru, and lots of additional juniors are in the draft as well, I am curious how that will effect the Pats draft outlook.

No doubt we need to fill ILB, CB, and DT, but also TE, LT, and RB. I am just wondering if this is going to be the mega draft that was mentioned on tv this week?

Any thoughts?

The Intimidator
10-18-2008, 11:43 PM
Nothing better than young players...especially on this team.

futureheisman
10-19-2008, 05:38 PM
top FA

RB:Brandon Jacobs Steven Jackson

DL: Julis Peppers Kevin Carter Tommie Harris Paul Specier

CB:Nnamdi Asomugha

i would love to sign peppers and Asomuga. the defense needs to focus on pressure pressure. Peppers and in the draft if you could draft a guy like Brian orakpo out of texas. This kid is a freak who can bench over 500 pounds 4.55 40 time. I think that he could come in here and help out tredmously with the defense.

LB:

The Intimidator
10-19-2008, 06:26 PM
top FA

RB:Brandon Jacobs Steven Jackson

DL: Julis Peppers Kevin Carter Tommie Harris Paul Specier

CB:Nnamdi Asomugha

i would love to sign peppers and Asomuga. the defense needs to focus on pressure pressure. Peppers and in the draft if you could draft a guy like Brian orakpo out of texas. This kid is a freak who can bench over 500 pounds 4.55 40 time. I think that he could come in here and help out tredmously with the defense.

LB:

I already addressed why we won't be bringing in D-Linemen this offseason, so you can cross Peppers, Spicer, Harris, and Carter off the list. Asomugha could very likely be franchised by Oakland again this offseason, and if he isn't, he'll sign somewhere for Asante-like money. If the Pats weren't willing to sign Asante, a guy who knew the system, I'm not sure that they would sign a guy like Asomugha. He's the best corner in the NFL, but I just don't see it happening. If he did come here, however, I would love it.

futureheisman
10-19-2008, 08:00 PM
The D-line has underperformed this season and they need to blitzed more because of our bad secondary.

The Intimidator
10-19-2008, 08:06 PM
i think that there is a good chance that seymour gets cut this offseason. We need to address the lack of pass rush on this team. Enough being a passive group.

What?! Whatever you're smoking, I'd like some!

futureheisman
10-20-2008, 05:56 PM
what are you smoking look at his production buddy. We need someone in there who will GET PRESSURE ON THE QUATERBACK. He is not doing the job right now. Have you been watching the games or been lost in purple haze. Stop with the moonshine and relize that Seymour and the rest of the D-Line needs to get some pressure on the QB. Look a Denver two all pro corners but cant stop anyone. pressure on the QB is the way for defenses to be not only great but even average in this league

The Intimidator
10-20-2008, 08:08 PM
what are you smoking look at his production buddy. We need someone in there who will GET PRESSURE ON THE QUATERBACK. He is not doing the job right now. Have you been watching the games or been lost in purple haze. Stop with the moonshine and relize that Seymour and the rest of the D-Line needs to get some pressure on the QB. Look a Denver two all pro corners but cant stop anyone. pressure on the QB is the way for defenses to be not only great but even average in this league

You don't realize all the things that Seymour does for this team. Early in his career, Seymour recorded a healthy amount of sacks because he wasn't taken seriously yet. As he became more established, he was double-teamed more often, therefore resulting in fewer sacks. He is opening up opportunities for others to put pressure on the QB. It is not his fault that the rest of the line is not getting the job done.

celticfan
10-20-2008, 08:15 PM
I already addressed why we won't be bringing in D-Linemen this offseason, so you can cross Peppers, Spicer, Harris, and Carter off the list. Asomugha could very likely be franchised by Oakland again this offseason, and if he isn't, he'll sign somewhere for Asante-like money. If the Pats weren't willing to sign Asante, a guy who knew the system, I'm not sure that they would sign a guy like Asomugha. He's the best corner in the NFL, but I just don't see it happening. If he did come here, however, I would love it.

I think Champ Bailey is better.

bagwell368
10-20-2008, 11:31 PM

Do you watch the games? Do you understand what BB's concept of the 3-4 is? The DL of the 3-4 hold the 5 OL in front of them, so that the LB's can make tackles, or pressure the passer.

Many times Seymour gets 0's all across the stat line and the radio guys, and post game guys will tell you he had a great game. He was injured a lot the past two years, and while it seems nobody has patience with Maroney they had a lot with Seymour.

His contract is large ($6.7M per year through the end of '09). He won't be cut. He might be traded, he might not be resigned, or he might be franchised one more time. He is likely to command at least $7.5M per year if he is healthy and perhaps as much as $9M. Other teams won't pay that if doesn't do anything as you suggest. He has already been in 5 pro bowl's and given his game tonight may be headed to a sixth - along with his rings that's about when they start carving your place in Canton.

Wilfork is probably the #2 NT in football and was an all pro last year, and Warren holds his own, and is worth his contract. Green is perhaps the best backup for a 3-4 that there is - before the injury.

Seymour is getting older that's true and has been hurt. They may choose not to resign him, but, they will have to have a plan to replace him, because it's a huge hole to fill.

The Intimidator
10-20-2008, 11:46 PM
Do you watch the games? Do you understand what BB's concept of the 3-4 is? The DL of the 3-4 hold the 5 OL in front of them, so that the LB's can make tackles, or pressure the passer.

Many times Seymour gets 0's all across the stat line and the radio guys, and post game guys will tell you he had a great game. He was injured a lot the past two years, and while it seems nobody has patience with Maroney they had a lot with Seymour.

His contract is large ($6.7M per year through the end of '09). He won't be cut. He might be traded, he might not be resigned, or he might be franchised one more time. He is likely to command at least $7.5M per year if he is healthy and perhaps as much as $9M. Other teams won't pay that if doesn't do anything as you suggest. He has already been in 5 pro bowl's and given his game tonight may be headed to a sixth - along with his rings that's about when they start carving your place in Canton.

Wilfork is probably the #2 NT in football and was an all pro last year, and Warren holds his own, and is worth his contract. Green is perhaps the best backup for a 3-4 that there is - before the injury.

Seymour is getting older that's true and has been hurt. They may choose not to resign him, but, they will have to have a plan to replace him, because it's a huge hole to fill.

I can always count on you to back me up, Bags. :D

futureheisman
10-21-2008, 06:56 PM
whatever

The Intimidator
10-21-2008, 07:07 PM
whatever

Did you see how much pressure the D-Line put on Cutler last night? Yeah, I thought so.

futureheisman
10-21-2008, 10:30 PM
we need that more often

Bosoxgoober15
10-25-2008, 07:13 PM
i think the first few picks will be on the secondary and o line. moore out of mizzou is a ballhawk and taylor mays has the football version of the quote "flies like a butterfly stings like a bee" in the quote "runs like a cb, hits like a lb" he's a monster. or any of cb's like vontae davis, malcom jenkins or macho harris

The Intimidator
10-25-2008, 08:05 PM
i think the first few picks will be on the secondary and o line. moore out of mizzou is a ballhawk and taylor mays has the football version of the quote "flies like a butterfly stings like a bee" in the quote "runs like a cb, hits like a lb" he's a monster. or any of cb's like vontae davis, malcom jenkins or macho harris

Mays and Jenkins should be long gone by the time the Pats pick.

futureheisman
10-26-2008, 11:24 AM
brian orakpo is who we are going to pick

futureheisman
10-26-2008, 11:26 AM
i would really hope for taylor mays though

The Intimidator
10-26-2008, 01:17 PM
We won't pick either of those guys. Mays will be gone, and we have NO ROOM on the D-Line! That means no Orakpo!

futureheisman
10-26-2008, 03:04 PM
orakpo will be a beast and we need to put more pressure on the QB

The Intimidator
10-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Did you see how well our D-Line played today? Bulger was under pressure all day long!

futureheisman
10-27-2008, 03:51 PM
i did see that

The Intimidator
10-27-2008, 08:22 PM
So what are your thoughts on the D-Line now?

futureheisman
11-01-2008, 02:20 PM
they need to do that more often

The Intimidator
11-01-2008, 02:46 PM
they need to do that more often

That's what you said after the Denver game too. That means that they ARE doing it more often. They have put great pressure on the QB in each of the last two games, and if you take out the San Diego game, they have pressured the QB effectively in every game this season. The D-Line is not a problem for us, hence the fact that we are winning games.

chomaru
11-01-2008, 08:41 PM
how about a TE? Brandon Pettigrew out of Oklahoma State could be around when we pick.

it also looks like we could use a RB and Id love if we could nab LeSean McCoy out of Pitt but his stock might be rising with the year he is putting up so far

The Intimidator
11-02-2008, 04:28 PM
how about a TE? Brandon Pettigrew out of Oklahoma State could be around when we pick.

it also looks like we could use a RB and Id love if we could nab LeSean McCoy out of Pitt but his stock might be rising with the year he is putting up so far

McCoy is a guy I like because as I said in one of my previous posts, he plays in Wannstedt's pro-style offense. If the Pats were able to snag him, I would be thrilled.

futureheisman
11-02-2008, 05:42 PM
would love to see him here

griff141
11-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Now, with Harrison's future in doubt, I think we need to go for a DB in the first round, preferably a safety... Taylor Mays? I guess it all depends on what we do in free agency. If it's not the secondary, I think the O-Line will be addressed in the draft.

STAT OWNS
11-03-2008, 11:20 PM
Get a safety over aanything else

The Intimidator
11-03-2008, 11:31 PM
Now, with Harrison's future in doubt, I think we need to go for a DB in the first round, preferably a safety... Taylor Mays? I guess it all depends on what we do in free agency. If it's not the secondary, I think the O-Line will be addressed in the draft.

Taylor Mays is a projected top ten pick, as I have been saying for a while, so it is highly unlikely that the Pats will be able to draft him. I agree though, the secondary will be a priority this offseason. It would be nice to see the Pats draft the next Ty Law, but we'll see. Here are some more realistic options than Mays:

1) William Moore: S, Missouri (He is a guy who would have to drop to get to us, but it would be worth it.)

2) Myron Rolle: S, Florida State (Rolle looks like he could be available towards the end of the first round, so he is a viable option if the Pats go in that direction.)

3) D.J. Moore: CB, Vanderbilt (Best CB on the board not named Davis or Jenkins.)

4) Victor "Macho" Harris: CB, Virginia Tech (He could be available at #40, where the Pats have a pick.)

5) Trevard Lindley: CB, Kentucky (Lindley plays against some fantastic competition in the SEC, and holds his own.)

6) Alphonso Smith: CB, Wake Forest (Smith's stock has risen, ironically, as Wake's has fallen.)

7) Emanuel Cook: S, South Carolina (Another SEC guy, one of the top 5 safeties available in this draft, IMO.)

8) Darius Butler: CB, Connecticut (It's not a good year for the Big East in terms of its DB's, but Butler could be a solid 2nd round pick for the Pats.)

9) Patrick Chung: S, Oregon (If not for Mays, Chung could have been considered the best safety in the Pac-10.)

10) Mark Parson: CB, Ohio (Parson is one of the best corners that no one has ever heard of.)

bagwell368
11-04-2008, 08:01 AM
Safety? No way.

In general NFL drafting, a Safety is the lowest position taken - ahead of only K and P.

Merri looks to be rounding into good form, Sanders has taken a step back. They can get someone pretty good in the 3rd - 5th rounds.

Watson & Thomas are not very good, and both are FA after '09 - expect a choice here ahead of S.

Seymour, Wilfork, and Green are all up after '09. Seymour will get between $7M-10M per year here or elsewhere (he could be franchised one more time), Wilfork could command even more, but has said he wants to stay so they might get him for $6-7M which is stone cold bargain. Green is at $3M, and may be too expensive to keep. If the Pats plan a change here, then expect the #1 to be a DL.

Matt Light is starting to wear out at LT, he'd be a monster RT. They could draft a LT 1st.

Bruschi is done, another Mayo would nice - esp given how much the Pats emphasize the front 7.

I like the kid CB's, but drafting another one in the 2nd - 4th rounds wouldn't hurt.

Can't see it...

The Intimidator
11-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Matt Light is starting to wear out at LT, he'd be a monster RT. They could draft a LT 1st.

Bruschi is done, another Mayo would nice - esp given how much the Pats emphasize the front 7.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Pats addressed the O-Line in the first or second round. Here are some linemen they could be looking at:

1) Ciron Black: OT, Louisiana State

2) Eben Britton: OT, Arizona

3) Jason Smith: OT, Baylor

4) Russell Okung: OT, Oklahoma State

5) Alex Boone: OT, Ohio State

In terms of finding the next Mayo, good luck with that. Guys like Maualuga and Laurinaitis will already be off the board, meaning that the best remaining options would be the following:

1) Aaron Curry: OLB, Wake Forest

2) Brian Cushing: OLB, USC

3) Brandon Spikes: ILB, Florida

4) Marcus Freeman: OLB, Ohio State

5) Dannell Ellerbe: ILB, Georgia

6) Clint Sintim: OLB, Virginia

7) Tyrone McKenzie: OLB, South Florida

8) Darry Beckwith: ILB, Louisiana State

9) Zack Follett: OLB, California

10) Scott McKillop: ILB, Pittsburgh

sportpro70
11-04-2008, 06:17 PM

Rhodes is not a free agent, he's signed with the Jets through 2013.
Also Cortland Finnegan signed a 4-year extension earlier this year.
And why the hell would you guys want Vilma, he cant play in a 4-3...its been proven.

The Intimidator
11-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Rhodes is not a free agent, he's signed with the Jets through 2013.
Also Cortland Finnegan signed a 4-year extension earlier this year.
And why the hell would you guys want Vilma, he cant play in a 4-3...its been proven.

Future Heisman doesn't always make the most sense...

chomaru
11-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Iv been reading Alex Boone could be a top 10 pick

The Intimidator
11-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Iv been reading Alex Boone could be a top 10 pick

Where exactly are you hearing that? He's possibly one of the top 10 linemen available, but I'm very skeptical that he ends up a top 10 pick.

chomaru
11-04-2008, 11:27 PM
Where exactly are you hearing that? He's possibly one of the top 10 linemen available, but I'm very skeptical that he ends up a top 10 pick.

honestly Iv seen him all over the place up and down on ppls mocks, which arnt that reliable. He has slipped quite a bit since pre season.....so has Laurinaitis ( who Im constantly seeing in the late first round these days ) but I think we are all in agreement he isnt going to go that late.

Im not sure where Boone will go, I should have mentioned I was getting that info from pre season mocks.

The Intimidator
11-05-2008, 12:17 AM
honestly Iv seen him all over the place up and down on ppls mocks, which arnt that reliable. He has slipped quite a bit since pre season.....so has Laurinaitis ( who Im constantly seeing in the late first round these days ) but I think we are all in agreement he isnt going to go that late.

Im not sure where Boone will go, I should have mentioned I was getting that info from pre season mocks.

Yeah preseason mocks aren't very reliable...

futureheisman
11-07-2008, 05:50 PM
I read it online that Rhodes was a free agent and finnegan

The Intimidator
11-07-2008, 07:56 PM
I read it online that Rhodes was a free agent and finnegan

Not all websites are that reliable.

futureheisman
11-08-2008, 11:40 AM
we need to draft someone who can rush the passer

The Intimidator
11-08-2008, 01:42 PM
we need to draft someone who can rush the passer

I'm tired of explaining to you how our D-Line isn't the problem. Stop posting this. My God. Look at how many times you have posted this:

I would love to see him here. there needs to more pressure being put on the QB then there is right now. Get peppers would take care of that problem. You need to get brushi out of there. Mayo looks a stud in the making vrabel is getting older and I think the adulis thomas signing was a major bust.

We need to put more pressure on the QB peppers would accomplish that. Yuo could change the defense to a 4-3 in put peppers on the D-Line. To make the secondary a lot better than it is.

D-Line:Peppers Warren Wilfork Seymour-if he is not cut this offseason. I would to see them sign a guy like bart scott.

i think that there is a good chance that seymour gets cut this offseason. We need to address the lack of pass rush on this team. Enough being a passive group.

brian orakpo is who we are going to pick

orakpo will be a beast and we need to put more pressure on the QB

Do you see how annoying your posts are? You never listen to reason.

futureheisman
11-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Because your wrong

The Intimidator
11-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Because your wrong

I'm wrong? I'm wrong in saying that your prediction that the Pats will cut Seymour is absolutely ********? I'm wrong in saying that Brian Orakpo will be off the board long before the Pats pick next April? I'm wrong in saying that the Patriots' problems do not include the D-Line? No, you're wrong.

futureheisman
11-09-2008, 06:06 PM
i got to admit they got great pressure today I didnt say they would cut Seymour I said they may cut Seymour

The Intimidator
11-09-2008, 07:03 PM
i got to admit they got great pressure today I didnt say they would cut Seymour I said they may cut Seymour

Even saying that they MIGHT cut Seymour is ********. He's a perennial Pro-Bowler, and he is in the midst of another fantastic year.

bagwell368
11-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Cutting Seymour is a ******** notion. However:

trading him

letting him walk after '09

franchising him for '10

are all possible. All 3 taken together is probably at least 40% likely to happen IMO versus signing a fairly middle aged -> old player (then) to some 4-5 year deal.

kbjohnson26
11-10-2008, 12:00 PM
The pats have IMO the best DL in the NFL. Even though it is hard to believe Seymour has been in the league for over eight years already.

The Intimidator
11-10-2008, 12:47 PM
The pats have IMO the best DL in the NFL. Even though it is hard to believe Seymour has been in the league for over eight years already.

I don't think that it's the best, but it's definitely one of the best, which means that it is NOT the source of our problems.

futureheisman
11-16-2008, 12:21 PM
the titans do by far

BIGpoppaRose33
11-16-2008, 01:07 PM
I'm pretty sure this is a draft thread.. Not for you to be posting who has the the best line in your opinion.. You never have anything intelligent to say so stop posting, for everyones sake

Wake's Fastball
11-16-2008, 01:13 PM
Back to relevance, is anyone else intrigued by the idea that Knowshon Moreno or Beanie Wells could be available at our pick?

futureheisman
11-16-2008, 01:33 PM
I like Beanie Wells a lot. A guy who can break Tackles and has great speed. I think we need to think about are secondary with this pick though or getting another linebacker. A guy like Taylor Mays i would like to see fall there but I seriously doubt that He will. if we finsh 8-8 will have a top 16 pick. A guy like Aron Curry would be a good choice here as well.

ben_watson_84
11-16-2008, 03:28 PM
New England doesn't need a Defensive Line at all

they have the best 3 down lineman in the nfl. Prob the best 3-4 DE in the NFL w/ Richard Seymour, and the best NT in the league in Vince Wilfork.

We need to adress secondary needs. At S and CB, mostly CB, Maybe an OLB, but in the later rounds.

ben_watson_84
11-16-2008, 03:30 PM
I don't think we need a RB either. Maroney was hurt this year, that doesn't make hm a bust. Even though he is injury prone. He can play well when healthy.

Our only needs are in the secondary, I think people give Nick Kaczur too much heat, he's good enough to start at RT for us.

bagwell368
11-16-2008, 07:21 PM
New England doesn't need a Defensive Line at all

they have the best 3 down lineman in the nfl. Prob the best 3-4 DE in the NFL w/ Richard Seymour, and the best NT in the league in Vince Wilfork.

We need to adress secondary needs. At S and CB, mostly CB, Maybe an OLB, but in the later rounds.

That's just pissa. Except Seymour, Wilfork, and Green are all FA after '09. Maybe we don't want to pay Seymour top dollar - rightly fearing age and past injury issues will eat into his abilities. Maybe Wilfork is leading us on by saying he'll take a home team discount. Maybe Green will decide to stop being a second banana and leave.

In the open market Seymour and Wilfork could both command $6.5 - 8.5M per year each. Green about $3M. No way the Pats can afford to keep all three.

The Intimidator
11-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Back to relevance, is anyone else intrigued by the idea that Knowshon Moreno or Beanie Wells could be available at our pick?

Not really, only because our much more glaring needs are on defense, and IMO there's no way we don't draft a defensive player in the first round. The only exception would be if there was an O-Lineman that fell to them that they felt was a can't-miss. Maybe someone like Ciron Black from LSU.

futureheisman
11-16-2008, 09:46 PM
I think we may draft a D-lineman for this reason

bagwell368
11-16-2008, 10:04 PM
Not really, only because our much more glaring needs are on defense, and IMO there's no way we don't draft a defensive player in the first round. The only exception would be if there was an O-Lineman that fell to them that they felt was a can't-miss. Maybe someone like Ciron Black from LSU.

betting on what BB will do with draft picks has proven to be very much a losing proposition.

The Pats also will need a new stud LT and TE in the next two years - premium players at both positions along with QB and DL make up most of the first round year in and year out. It makes a lot of sense if one or the other is available to draft one next year to learn, and then let Watson walk after '09 (don't let the door hit you in the butt you bum), and move Light to RT after the new kid plays RT for a year, then shifts to LT.

The Intimidator
11-16-2008, 10:05 PM
I think we may draft a D-lineman for this reason

Oh you're back on this again? :bang:

The Intimidator
11-16-2008, 10:10 PM
betting on what BB will do with draft picks has proven to be very much a losing proposition.

The Pats also will need a new stud LT and TE in the next two years - premium players at both positions along with QB and DL make up most of the first round year in and year out. It makes a lot of sense if one or the other is available to draft one next year to learn, and then let Watson walk after '09 (don't let the door hit you in the butt you bum), and move Light to RT after the new kid plays RT for a year, then shifts to LT.

I fully expect the Pats to take care of the TE position through the draft, just not in the first round. They can get a great TE with one of their second round picks if they so desire, or in the third round. That's the beauty of having 4 picks in the first 3 rounds, I guess. And yeah, I have been hearing your theory on Light a lot. He would be a fantastic RT if he were to switch over. Good call. Also, you're correct when you say that predicting what BB is going to do in the draft is a losing proposition, but one could also make the argument that in past years the team's holes were a bit less glaring.

bagwell368
11-16-2008, 11:20 PM
I fully expect the Pats to take care of the TE position through the draft, just not in the first round. They can get a great TE with one of their second round picks if they so desire, or in the third round. That's the beauty of having 4 picks in the first 3 rounds, I guess. And yeah, I have been hearing your theory on Light a lot. He would be a fantastic RT if he were to switch over. Good call. Also, you're correct when you say that predicting what BB is going to do in the draft is a losing proposition, but one could also make the argument that in past years the team's holes were a bit less glaring.

I think U need to look at the "great" TE's in the NFL and ask yourself where they are drafted.

In the NFL the most drafted positions due to need and/or lack of good talent is at:

QB
DL
LT
TE

everybody else is in the middle, except for S, special teams guys -- and then K, P which are last.

BB has shown a heavy propensity to draft DL and TE with his 1st picks, then scatter others in like a S, ILB, RB and such in. But the multi picks are DL and TE.

Also depending on what they do with the FA DL's, and who is available they could go DL. It isn't out of the realm of the possible. I do not expect to see a WR, QB, S, K, P, OG, RB drafted #1 next year. Outside of that - who knows for sure?

The Intimidator
11-16-2008, 11:35 PM
I think U need to look at the "great" TE's in the NFL and ask yourself where they are drafted.

Yeah, a lot of them are picked high, but I wasn't suggesting that we could get a Pro-Bowl TE in the 6th or 7th round. 2nd or 3rd round is still a great place to find talent. A good example is Antonio Gates: Sign as Undrafted Free Agent in 2003 by San Diego.

chomaru
11-17-2008, 12:39 AM
Yeah, a lot of them are picked high, but I wasn't suggesting that we could get a Pro-Bowl TE in the 6th or 7th round. 2nd or 3rd round is still a great place to find talent. A good example is Antonio Gates: Sign as Undrafted Free Agent in 2003 by San Diego.

I agree the 2nd and 3rd round is a good place to find talent but Gates was a rare find/project bc of his love of basketball. Chris Cooley is a better example, taken in the 3rd round.

The Intimidator
11-17-2008, 01:09 AM
I agree the 2nd and 3rd round is a good place to find talent but Gates was a rare find/project bc of his love of basketball. Chris Cooley is a better example, taken in the 3rd round.

Ah yes, I knew there was a better example. Thanks. :D

bagwell368
11-17-2008, 08:43 AM

Then there is Watson and Graham - both drafted on the first round which are sadly more typical of TE drafting results in the NFL.

There are basically 10 great/real good TE's in football at any given time. Let's see:

Winslow (#1 - 6)
Gonzales (#1 - 13)
Shockey (#1 - 14)
Graham (#1 - 21)
Clark (#1 - 24)
Miller (#1 - 30)
Watson (#1 - 32)

Witten (#3 - 69)
Cooley (#3 - 81)
Daniels (#4 - 98)
Gates (undrafted - BB player)

In fact it is such an under staffed position that quite a few teams do not feature TE's in most offensive plays, but instead go 4 wide, H back, or offensive linemen playing in the TE slot.

Great TE's are like hen's teeth, everyone wants one, few have them. If the bottom 4 guys were undertood to be what they were going to be on draft day each one gets drafted in round #1.

Don't bank on a big shot TE in round 3. BB has tried twice in round 1 with mixed results.

chomaru
11-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Then there is Watson and Graham - both drafted on the first round which are sadly more typical of TE drafting results in the NFL.

There are basically 10 great/real good TE's in football at any given time. Let's see:

Winslow (#1 - 6)
Gonzales (#1 - 13)
Shockey (#1 - 14)
Graham (#1 - 21)
Clark (#1 - 24)
Miller (#1 - 30)
Watson (#1 - 32)

Witten (#3 - 69)
Cooley (#3 - 81)
Daniels (#4 - 98)
Gates (undrafted - BB player)

In fact it is such an under staffed position that quite a few teams do not feature TE's in most offensive plays, but instead go 4 wide, H back, or offensive linemen playing in the TE slot.

Great TE's are like hen's teeth, everyone wants one, few have them. If the bottom 4 guys were undertood to be what they were going to be on draft day each one gets drafted in round #1.

Don't bank on a big shot TE in round 3. BB has tried twice in round 1 with mixed results.

dont get me wrong, I wasnt disagreeing with your earlier post about most of the good TE's going in round 1, Im just saying there is some nice prospects to be found in round 2 and 3. Quite a few of those guys plus a couple others you didnt mention (Greg Olsen#31/Todd Heap#31) are taken at the end of the first round so you could say they were borderline 1st/2nd round picks.

couple other guys
Alge Crumpler 2nd round
Alex Smith 3rd round

1 more thing, its not really fair to say if it was understood what those guys would be doing they would have gone in round 1, you could say that about many other positions as well.

bagwell368
11-17-2008, 10:30 AM
1 more thing, its not really fair to say if it was understood what those guys would be doing they would have gone in round 1, you could say that about many other positions as well.

Fair? Obviously everybody would draft better w/ 20/20 hindsight. But the absolute dearth of top quality guys at these positions, in roughly this order:

DL
QB
TE
LT
CB

assures that they jump up higher then other positions overall.

As a Pats fan if they land a six time pro bowl TE in round 4 this year, I'll be happy, very happy, just don't see it as realistic - maybe a 1 in 23 shot.

chomaru
11-17-2008, 10:54 AM
Fair? Obviously everybody would draft better w/ 20/20 hindsight. But the absolute dearth of top quality guys at these positions, in roughly this order:

DL
QB
TE
LT
CB

assures that they jump up higher then other positions overall.

As a Pats fan if they land a six time pro bowl TE in round 4 this year, I'll be happy, very happy, just don't see it as realistic - maybe a 1 in 23 shot.

your right but I dont really think I said it was likely they will find someone in the mid to later rounds, just playing some devils advocate.

The Intimidator
12-02-2008, 01:00 PM
I thought I would resurrect this thread, seeing that even though the season isn't over, the draft is getting closer. Positions I could see the Pats looking into are of course CB, S, RB, and OL. A guy like Vontae Davis could very well fall to us in the 20's, assuming that we finish around 10-6 like I think we will. One mock draft has the Pats taking Knowshon Moreno in the first round, which would undoubtedly get fans excited. I don't see the Pats paying two RB first round money though, so that could be more of a pipe dream. Who do you guys feel the Pats should draft now that the draft is less than 5 months away?

BRADY4MVP
12-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Moreno would be fun....... what about the guy from BC Herzlich (sp?) if he comes out, where do you think he goes??? mid-to-end of round 1 would be my guess...and bingo, there we are!

obv. it is out of the question to mention Brian Orakpo, James Laurinaitis and Rey Maualuga- if any of them slipped we def. take them......but im gonna say Herzlich for now? Aaron Curry could be a steal too...

The Intimidator
12-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Moreno would be fun....... what about the guy from BC Herzlich (sp?) if he comes out, where do you think he goes??? mid-to-end of round 1 would be my guess...and bingo, there we are!

obv. it is out of the question to mention Brian Orakpo, James Laurinaitis and Rey Maualuga- if any of them slipped we def. take them......but im gonna say Herzlich for now? Aaron Curry could be a steal too...

Herzlich is staying at BC for his senior season, so the Pats will have to wait until 2010 if they want him. :D

Orakpo will be a top 10 pick, and is said to be going as high as #2. That means he is without a doubt out of the question. Laurinaitus is most likely out of our reach as well. Of the guys you mentioned, Curry is the most attainable, with Maualuga a close second. I really think that he can drop into the 20's.

However, I really don't think that we go with a LB in the first round. We are in desperate need of help in the secondary, and even though the Pats have proven to be unpredictable in the draft, I can't see them passing up a guy like Vontae Davis or William Moore, if they are available.

futureheisman
12-02-2008, 08:26 PM
We also have the chargers 2nd round pick which could be trade bait to move up in the first round

BRADY4MVP
12-03-2008, 11:44 AM
i think i read somewhere that vontae davis got benched? i could be mistaken though.......

if true, apparently he is following his older brother's example very well :rolleyes:

futureheisman
12-04-2008, 03:08 PM
He did.. if we could trade up and get someone like Michael Johnson it would be great. i think they address the secondary through free agency. I think though if William Moore falls to us and were unable to trade up you take him.

Sportfan
12-07-2008, 02:18 PM
what about Malcolm Jenkins of Ohio State? He would have been considered the best DB last year if he came out.

futureheisman
12-07-2008, 05:46 PM
forget corner in the first round we need someone who can rush the passer. Today's game as a prime example

griff141
12-08-2008, 10:30 AM
I think it's getting clearer and clearer that we need some speed and power coming off the edge. Mike Vrabel is doing o.k. but his clock is ticking. I hope Shawn Crable will pan out, but if not, OLB is a position that must be addressed. Tedy Bruschi is a shell of his former self and there is only so much Jerod Mayo can do on his own. We need to keep rebuilding that linebacking core!

griff141
12-08-2008, 10:39 AM
forget corner in the first round we need someone who can rush the passer. Today's game as a prime example

LOL AHHHHH DUDE! ENOUGH WITH RUSHING THE PASSER!!! We all know it's important but you've said it about 384756283754.84785 million times! WE GOT IT!

Patsfan56
12-08-2008, 01:13 PM
You guys!!

You know, I've been thinking, and you know what we need to do with this upcoming draft?...

We need someone who can rush tha passer!

Your thoughts?

:p

bagwell368
12-08-2008, 04:40 PM
BB built a team with a potent defense and a shoe string offense

Then he managed to get some serious talent on O for good prices

The D started to age, and get hurt. The D is simple in conception. 3 studs to hold the line, 4 enterprising and tough LB's to make the plays (1 to rush the passer sometimes). 1-2 good/cheap CB/S 1-2 lousy/cheap CB/S.

We simply need the DL to stay intact for four more years, and get a couple of more Mayo types, and one med/high level CB, and we are set. Of course we then to replace at least one TE, get a LT for the future. You can't have it all....

futureheisman
12-08-2008, 08:44 PM
to fix the secondary Duant Robinson is a guy I think who the patriots will go hard after and wouldnt be suprised if they grabbed early in free agency. You have your two safeties Merriweather and Sanders so that is not an issue. iu would like to see build from there strengh which is the D line and go with the 4-3 defense. Sign a guy like a Tommie Harris and have two elite run stuffers in there. this would allow Warren and Seymour to blitz. So heres what you defense what look like.

D-Line:

NT:Wilfork
NT Harris
DT:Warren
DE:Seymour

OLB:Vrabel
ILB: Mayo
ILB:Thomas

FS: Merriweather
SS:Sanders
CB: Robinson
CB:Hobbs who scares the crap out of me

BeAn 5 ToWnE
12-08-2008, 09:25 PM
You guys!!

You know, I've been thinking, and you know what we need to do with this upcoming draft?...

Your thoughts?

That concept is completely unheard of. Therefore, it is crazy.

futureheisman
12-08-2008, 09:46 PM
You guys!!

Your thoughts?

HAHAHAHAHAHA i get the point

Patsfan56
12-09-2008, 08:55 AM
I'm just messing with you man, nothing serious.

I've been rummaging through dome of these threads and I find Bagwell p-retty much summing up where I am thinking as well. I don't see safety as a glaring issue for us. Sanders seems to be able to get around the field pretty well, and Meriweather looks like he is shaping up nicely. As for LB, that's a whole other issue that needs attention. BB likes the 3-4, so it is even more pronounced. We have a solid DL, but where will it be in three years? Our CB situation is, well, not good at all. I like Hobbs, but he is not what I would want as my #1 corner.

So, if I were king for a day, I would take action, be it FA or draft to address the first four in the best order they presented themselves in the draft: ILB, get a long term DL prospect, get a RT and develop him for LT in a season, then CB. Then OLB. I would like us to pick up a quality blocking TE as I want insurance up front with Brady recovering and the fact we have great weapons in the receiving corps already.

I'm not a fan of RB by large committee, but I see other more pressig needs right now. However, we also might look at who might be able to pick up the mantle for Faulk when the time comes as that utility player.

I keep going through this and each time I come up with a different answer.

griff141
12-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Switching gears a little bit to free agency, I think that if we were to ever spend big money on a defensive back, Nnamdi Asomugha should be the one. I'm a firm believer that if we wanted a big money CB we would've paid Asante, but Nnamdi would make such a huge impact. He would take our secondary from mediocre to really good! He can shut down every number 1 receiver known to man!

futureheisman
12-10-2008, 08:48 PM
would love to see him here best corner in the NFL

The Intimidator
12-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Switching gears a little bit to free agency, I think that if we were to ever spend big money on a defensive back, Nnamdi Asomugha should be the one. I'm a firm believer that if we wanted a big money CB we would've paid Asante, but Nnamdi would make such a huge impact. He would take our secondary from mediocre to really good! He can shut down every number 1 receiver known to man!

There are going to be about 10 teams lusting after Asomugha this offseason, so it's unlikely he ends up here. I think that we will inquire, but the safe money says that he goes elsewhere. I think that the Pats will address the secondary through free agency, however, as well as through the draft.

futureheisman
12-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Duant Robinson would be excellent 2nd option to Asomugha. Phillip Buchanon would be great opposite of him. Buchanon and Robinson A lot better then oneal and Hobbs.

#37SHS#37
12-13-2008, 03:18 PM
the thing the pats need to do the most right now that noone can deny is adress our secondary. if you think different all i have to say is.......ELLIS HOBBS
i would love to see the pats make a run at either nnamdi asomugha ( the best cover corner in the game) or marcus trufant. i dont think we will get nnamdi for the fact that he is going to command a boatload of money( well deserved) that the pats arent willing to spend
trufant though is very good
if we dnt get a free agent corner we need to either draft vontae davis of illinois or malcom jenkins of ohio state.
we could also use another linebacker and i would love to see rey maualuga or aaron curry come to us but thats not likely to happen as they should both be top ten picks
brian cushing and james laurinitis would aslo be very good choices as they should also go between the mid 1st and late 1st rounds
if not then we could always go after a linebacker in free agency someone like a bart scott who is a great athlete and very talented player
my hopes are that we sign either trufant or nnamdi and draft either maualuga or curry

or if we go after a linebacker in free agency then it wud b we sign bart scott and draft malcom jenkins or vontae davis

griff141
12-13-2008, 03:38 PM
the thing the pats need to do the most right now that noone can deny is adress our secondary. if you think different all i have to say is.......ELLIS HOBBS
i would love to see the pats make a run at either nnamdi asomugha ( the best cover corner in the game) or marcus trufant. i dont think we will get nnamdi for the fact that he is going to command a boatload of money( well deserved) that the pats arent willing to spend
if we dnt get a free agent corner we need to either draft vontae davis of illinois or malcom jenkins of ohio state.
we could also use another linebacker and i would love to see rey maualuga or aaron curry come to us but thats not likely to happen as they should both be top ten picks
brian cushing and james laurinitis would aslo be very good choices as they should also go between the mid 1st and late 1st rounds
if not then we could always go after a linebacker in free agency someone like a bart scott who is a great athlete and very talented player
my hopes are that we sign either trufant or nnamdi and draft either maualuga or curry

or if we go after a linebacker in free agency then it wud b we sign bart scott and draft malcom jenkins or vontae davis

Bart Scott has stated before that he wants to remain a Raven and would take less money to do so, so I don't think we'll be seeing him here.

The Intimidator
12-14-2008, 11:04 AM

1) No one is denying that we need help in the secondary. In fact, everyone is saying that we do.

2) Trufant isn't a free agent this offseason, and won't be until 2013.

3) Malcolm Jenkins will be long gone by the time the Patriots pick.

4) Cushing may be a possibility in the late parts of the first round, but Laurinaitis will go no later than pick 15 or 16 I'm afraid. But why would we take Cushing if we need so much help in the secondary.

5) Bart Scott will most likely be staying in Baltimore. Like Griff said, he is on the record as saying that he would take a hometown discount to stay there.

futureheisman
12-14-2008, 11:40 AM
1) No one is denying that we need help in the secondary. In fact, everyone is saying that we do.

2) Trufant isn't a free agent this offseason, and won't be until 2013.

3) Malcolm Jenkins will be long gone by the time the Patriots pick.

4) Cushing may be a possibility in the late parts of the first round, but Laurinaitis will go no later than pick 15 or 16 I'm afraid. But why would we take Cushing if we need so much help in the secondary.

5) Bart Scott will most likely be staying in Baltimore. Like Griff said, he is on the record as saying that he would take a hometown discount to stay there.

Like i have said many many times we can address the secondary can be addressed through free agecny. We have our safeties all set for next year. corners on the free agent market include: Duanta Robinson Phillip Buchanon
Mike Brown and Asomugha. I would like to sign two of these guys. Buchanon and Robinson look like the most realstic. so you sign those two. Now you look at the strength of the team the defensive line. I think the defense should change to a 4-3 and sign a guy like Tommie Harris to plug up the middle with Wilfork to help hide the slowness of the linebacking unit.

The Intimidator
12-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Like i have said many many times we can address the secondary can be addressed through free agecny. We have our safeties all set for next year. corners on the free agent market include: Duanta Robinson Phillip Buchanon
Mike Brown and Asomugha. I would like to sign two of these guys. Buchanon and Robinson look like the most realstic. so you sign those two. Now you look at the strength of the team the defensive line. I think the defense should change to a 4-3 and sign a guy like Tommie Harris to plug up the middle with Wilfork to help hide the slowness of the linebacking unit.

Bill Belichick isn't going to switch to a 4-3 defense just because Tommie Harris is a free agent. As I have said countless times to you: our D-Line is FINE. I don't think the Patriots' ideal solution for the secondary is to sign a pair of DB's who are nothing more than decent, like Buchanon and Robinson are.

futureheisman
12-14-2008, 08:45 PM
look at Robinson's stats when he wasnt hurt thats more then decent.

The Intimidator
12-14-2008, 11:53 PM
look at Robinson's stats when he wasnt hurt thats more then decent.

Robinson had 6 interceptions in his rookie season, back in 2004. He's had just 7 interceptions in 50 games since then. I understand he has missed a few games this season and played in only 9 games last season, but in 2005 and 2006 he was fully healthy and managed only 3 interceptions in the 32 games over those two seasons. He has also seen his numbers decline in the following categories: sacks, forced fumbles, tackles, and passes defended. Face it, he isn't the big play DB that he looked like he was going to become during his rookie season. In fact, if you look at his numbers, he's really no better than Deltha O'Neal. So no, he isn't anything more than a decent CB, and therefore wouldn't be my first choice to help improve this secondary.

futureheisman
12-15-2008, 05:23 PM
who do you want in here to help imporve this secondary gimme a name that could help it that would be so much better????

The Intimidator
12-15-2008, 05:47 PM
who do you want in here to help imporve this secondary gimme a name that could help it that would be so much better????

The only guys who I would go after from the free agent class, with the exception of Asomugha, would be Bryant McFadden and Dawan Landry. I leave Asomugha out because I highly doubt the Pats break the bank for him. McFadden, on the other hand, has been a very solid corner for the NFL's best defense. He will also be very attainable and could fit into our system. Landry, who may be better known as being LaRon Landry's brother, is also a solid young safety. He played only 2 games this year due to injury, but he is another solid young defensive player. Like McFadden, he plays on a fantastic NFL defense, and has also proven to be a bit of a ball hawk. So, I would go after these guys this offseason. Other than that, I think we will improve the secondary through the draft.

futureheisman
12-15-2008, 07:02 PM
okay I will give you Bryant but I would love to get robinson into this defense.

griff141
12-15-2008, 07:12 PM

I'm still not sold on the DB pool in free agency this coming off-season. The only standout is Asomugha, and there is no way he ends up here. My honest opinion regarding the secondary is to keep building through the draft and develop our young players. There is no band-aid fix if we want long term success. Meriweather is coming into his own, Ellis Hobbs isn't great but he's not terrible, Wilhite and Wheatley just need the experience.

The Intimidator
12-15-2008, 07:55 PM
okay I will give you Bryant but I would love to get robinson into this defense.

Why? I just explained to you why Robinson isn't an impact player on defense. IMO a change of scenery isn't going to make him one, either.

futureheisman
12-17-2008, 05:51 PM
you just dont get it buddy not at all this guy was great until he got injured and has shut down a lot of good WRS

The Intimidator
12-17-2008, 06:59 PM
you just dont get it buddy not at all this guy was great until he got injured and has shut down a lot of good WRS

I gave you stats that showed why he wasn't an impact CB ANYMORE. It doesn't matter if he was becoming a shutdown corner before he got hurt. Since his injury problems, he hasn't been that guy anymore. It doesn't matter how good you thought he was in 2004 or 2005. We won't be getting that guy. We'll be getting the new Dunta Robinson. Can you provide me with stats that will explain why Dunta Robinson will be a shutdown corner for us? Because I constantly provide stats for you.

futureheisman
12-18-2008, 04:22 PM
its not only about stats you should know that. watching him I think He can be a shut down guy for us

The Intimidator
12-18-2008, 06:31 PM
its not only about stats you should know that. watching him I think He can be a shut down guy for us

I'll humor you here, even though you're talking out of your behind at this point. Okay fine, we'll throw stats out the window. So answer me this: what exactly is it that you see when you watch Dunta Robinson that makes you think that he could be a shutdown corner for us? And here's a better question: why the hell are you watching Houston Texans' games?

hockeyunhboy77
12-18-2008, 10:00 PM
I think that belichick and scott will take Brian cushing OLB, D.J. Moore, CB or Ciron Black, OT, LSU.

Ronniebasco15
12-19-2008, 10:46 AM
draft smart or not at all

Ronniebasco15
12-19-2008, 10:59 AM
draft smart or not at all

Snydesdale
12-22-2008, 01:34 PM
I would say the pats try and sign mike peterson or Jonathan vilma as free agents then do what they have to to get malcom Jenkins in the first round. If they can't Maluga would be a great player and we could go after Finnegan. Another interesting depth for linebacker is Marcus freeman in the late second or third round depth of woods Alexander crable freeman would be nice and look good for the future.

The Intimidator
12-22-2008, 02:15 PM
I would say the pats try and sign mike peterson or Jonathan vilma as free agents then do what they have to to get malcom Jenkins in the first round. If they can't Maluga would be a great player and we could go after Finnegan. Another interesting depth for linebacker is Marcus freeman in the late second or third round depth of woods Alexander crable freeman would be nice and look good for the future.

1) Peterson is a good player, but he may be looking for more money than the Pats are willing to spend, and judging from his recent troubles in Jacksonville, I would say that it appears as if he has a bit of an attitude problem too. Vilma is someone the won't go near, either. He has proven to be an ineffective LB in a 3-4 system.

2) People need to get the pipe dream of Malcolm Jenkins out of their heads. The Patriots aren't the type of team that sacrifices future picks, money, players, etc. in order to move up in the draft. If anything, they usually trade out of high picks, such as this year when they picked Mayo, because they don't want to pay big money to unproven players. I'm not saying that moving up is impossible, but Belichick hasn't done it before and probably won't do it ever. Jenkins will be a top 10 pick, and assuredly gone before the Patriots are on the clock on draft day.

3) I don't see the Patriots addressing their LB corps in the first round, and even if they did, I wouldn't expect Maualuga to be available from where they'll be picking. I fully expect us to address the secondary in the first round, and a guy like Vontae Davis comes to mind here, as he could be available in the later parts of the first round.

4) Cortland Finnegan is a restricted free agent. He will most likely remain in Tennessee, because they will match any offer the Patriots make, if they make one. This is unless, of course, the Patriots for some reason try to break the bank for him, which they wouldn't do. If they did that for anyone, which they won't, it would be Asomugha.

futureheisman
12-22-2008, 03:25 PM
The only guys who I would go after from the free agent class, with the exception of Asomugha, would be Bryant McFadden and Dawan Landry. I leave Asomugha out because I highly doubt the Pats break the bank for him. McFadden, on the other hand, has been a very solid corner for the NFL's best defense. He will also be very attainable and could fit into our system. Landry, who may be better known as being LaRon Landry's brother, is also a solid young safety. He played only 2 games this year due to injury, but he is another solid young defensive player. Like McFadden, he plays on a fantastic NFL defense, and has also proven to be a bit of a ball hawk. So, I would go after these guys this offseason. Other than that, I think we will improve the secondary through the draft.

Bryant Mcfadden plays for the Brown buddy you calling them the best defense in the NFL. He has 38 tackles and 2 INT'S. Landry is a safety who has 11 tackles and no INTS so how he a ball hawk????. your earlier post about finnegan would be great for a guy like Mcfadden. Then sign a guy like Tommie Harrsi to help[ plug up the middle with Wilfork.

NT: Vince Wilfork
NT:Tommie Harris
DT:Ty Warren
DE:Richard Seymour

OLB:Jerod Mayo
ILB:Vrabel

CB: Mcfadden
SS:Merriweather
FS:Sanders

Snydesdale
12-22-2008, 03:28 PM
i think they need to sign peterson hes the best fit in my opinion and i have never been a fan of trading up in the draft but i like the idea of trading up for jenkins, but vontae davis is a solid coner. Also i believe that signing peterson would be the cheapest for us considering finnegan and Asumaoouga or however you spell it are pro bowlers and are going to cash in big time.

The Intimidator
12-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Bryant Mcfadden plays for the Brown buddy you calling them the best defense in the NFL. He has 38 tackles and 2 INT'S. Landry is a safety who has 11 tackles and no INTS so how he a ball hawk????. your earlier post about finnegan would be great for a guy like Mcfadden. Then sign a guy like Tommie Harrsi to help[ plug up the middle with Wilfork.

My god, your lack of information frightens me. Bryant McFadden plays for the Steelers, not the Browns. Here's proof of that, even though it seems like common knowledge.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8476

Dawan Landry, as I mentioned in the post you quoted, played in only 2 games due to injury. If you want an accurate sample of what he can do, look at his past stats.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=9732

In addition, you still haven't answered my question about what you see in Dunta Robinson when you watch Texans games that makes you think that he would be a shutdown corner for us. Care to respond?

futureheisman
12-23-2008, 11:53 AM
there must be two Bryant Mcfaddens then.

griff141
12-24-2008, 01:14 AM

NT: Vince Wilfork
NT:Tommie Harris
DT:Ty Warren
DE:Richard Seymour

OLB:Jerod Mayo
ILB:Vrabel

CB: Mcfadden
SS:Merriweather
FS:Sanders

1.) Bryant McFadden plays for the Steelers

2.) Our base defense is 3-4 not 4-3

3.) Thomas and Vrabel are naturally outside backers and Mayo plays on the inside

4.) Why are you drooling over Dunta Robinson? He's done nothing since his rookie year.

hatch81
12-26-2008, 09:48 PM
I would like to see them draft James Laurinatis but I doubt he would fall that far due to the fact New England will proably get a pick in the high teens, that is if they don't make the playoffs. Now they do have to get young on defense that's obvious but I would like to see them draft a running back with one of their picks, maybe in the second round because I do believe they get 2 second round picks this year, because I think they get one from San Diego. But since Maroney is a big waste they need to think about a running back.

ERLynx
12-27-2008, 07:27 PM
i dont see them picking a RB before the 3rd round. my money says that in the first round, if he is still there, (which depends on what happens sunday) they take Mays from USC. i love that kid. they wont look at Ray M because the pundits say he isnt smart enough to play in BB's system. (he was benched a couple times this year for being out of position, something that doesnt fly with BB). i see mays as a meriweather type player except bigger and faster. denver really boned NE last week against SD, so that pick wont be as good as it could have been. as far as LB, i see them looking at James Laurinaitis and Cushing from USC. just a hunch.

The Intimidator
12-27-2008, 07:49 PM
i dont see them picking a RB before the 3rd round. my money says that in the first round, if he is still there, (which depends on what happens sunday) they take Mays from USC. i love that kid. they wont look at Ray M because the pundits say he isnt smart enough to play in BB's system. (he was benched a couple times this year for being out of position, something that doesnt fly with BB). i see mays as a meriweather type player except bigger and faster. denver really boned NE last week against SD, so that pick wont be as good as it could have been. as far as LB, i see them looking at James Laurinaitis and Cushing from USC. just a hunch.

Mays' stock keeps rising and falling, and it's unclear whether or not he'll be available by the time the Pats pick. If he is, however, I'm sure they'll take a hard look at him.

I haven't heard the criticism of Maualuga that you speak of. From what I hear he's a very smart guy, and more importantly, a hard worker. He's been out of position a few times, but who hasn't? That being said, I don't think the Pats are looking LB in the first round. Like I have said many times, the they Pats may be unpredictable in the draft, but the secondary needs too much help for them not to address it.

ERLynx
12-27-2008, 10:19 PM
about Ray, i heard the criticisms last year about his lack of "intellectual depth" on PFW in progress when they were looking at linebackers who could potentially come out. Tom Casale and Andy Hart didnt like him then, but who knows, maybe he has become more disciplined this year. though i heard those things about him being caught out of position happened this year, so who knows. Either way, I will bet on USC over PSU. i think there's a chance SC shuts them out. You heard it here first.

futureheisman
12-28-2008, 02:12 PM
I would to see them get a guy in the middle rounds like pat White to run the wildcat.

The Intimidator
12-28-2008, 05:34 PM
I would to see them get a guy in the middle rounds like pat White to run the wildcat.

For once, we are on the same page. I agree with your notion, but I think the guy we would draft is Tim Tebow. His versatility is perfect for the Patriots, and he's more suited for a change of position than White is, IMO.

futureheisman
12-28-2008, 08:26 PM
they would be both great for this but white has more speed Tebow is more of a power type guy. i would love to see them also get a speed back as well to make it work maybe sign a guy Ricky Williams.

ERLynx
12-29-2008, 12:10 AM
yikes a running qb? im interested, but only because they have a team that could win this year. running qbs never last past age 29, so i dont know how high a pick i would use on pat white. i like cushing in the 2nd round because they say he has McGinest size and can play close to the line like he did. i am not as sold on meriweather as you guys. he hits high, and to me, it seems like he misses a lot of tackles. i was at home today in CT and i got to watch the game, and hes always there, but guys get past him. id like safety help. like i say constantly i like mays, but if hes not there, well, you guys know the drill.

NCBoSoxfan21
12-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Meriwheather is solid. He's got four INTs, 2 forced fumbles and over eighty tackles. What more can you really ask? Sure Reed has 9 INTs, but 1 FFs, and less than 50 tackles. Same for Polamalu basically. He's only a second year man, he will get better.... chill.

I think the secondary is a concern, but I think that can be addressed in the second round with one or both of those picks. I think first round is for a LB.

The Intimidator
12-29-2008, 06:06 PM
Meriwheather is solid. He's got four INTs, 2 forced fumbles and over eighty tackles. What more can you really ask? Sure Reed has 9 INTs, but 1 FFs, and less than 50 tackles. Same for Polamalu basically. He's only a second year man, he will get better.... chill.

I think the secondary is a concern, but I think that can be addressed in the second round with one or both of those picks. I think first round is for a LB.

Yeah, Meriweather is solid, but there is more than one safety on the field. And if you don't think that our secondary is our biggest concern, than I'm not sure what's going on in your head. Our first round pick will almost certainly address the secondary.

Wake's Fastball
12-30-2008, 12:10 AM
I vote Mark Herzlich. Mayo and Herzlich in the Pats' linebacking core for the next decade could be the answer to all my hopes and dreams.

Lord Byron 34
12-30-2008, 12:13 AM
The pats won't run the wildcat--why take Brady off the field? (and yes, it will be Brady, not Cassel going forward). But i agree that the secondary must be addressed, maybe twice on day 1. i think the linebacker situation is OK, but i would love another tackle.

Vincent33
12-30-2008, 01:47 AM
Did you see how well our D-Line played today? Bulger was under pressure all day long!

Bulger?

MVPedroia
12-30-2008, 02:51 AM
1st round draft picks are often the best player available at the time. If a team needs secandary help, but a better linebacker is still available than a team could pick him instead.

NCBoSoxfan21
12-30-2008, 10:20 AM
I said it was a concern. But we don't need to use our first round pick to address it.

piercethetruth
12-30-2008, 03:48 PM
top 3 needs:

1. Secondary
2. LB
3. OL

I say we take a look at Taylor Mays from USC...he is one of, if not the most athletic secondary player in college footbal this year. I watch every USC game and get amazed every week by their unreal defense. I doubt the pats will take another LB with their first pick...but i'm sure they will will either their second or third pick. Look at what other recent USC players have done in the NFL. This year, Reggie Bush was on pace to lead the league in touchdowns before an unlucky injury. Lendale White produced 15+ TD's, and Carson almer is a great QB, again dealing with an unlucky injury but will be back at pro bowl form next year. Lofa Tatupu, another pro bowl LB, rookie wide out steve smith for NYG had tremendous season with Eli, and so did special teams player terrell thomas.

USC runs pro style offenses and defenses and they will produce great professionals. I think the pats should go after another USC guy like Matty Cassel

The Intimidator
12-30-2008, 05:45 PM
top 3 needs:

1. Secondary
2. LB
3. OL

I say we take a look at Taylor Mays from USC...he is one of, if not the most athletic secondary player in college footbal this year. I watch every USC game and get amazed every week by their unreal defense. I doubt the pats will take another LB with their first pick...but i'm sure they will will either their second or third pick. Look at what other recent USC players have done in the NFL. This year, Reggie Bush was on pace to lead the league in touchdowns before an unlucky injury. Lendale White produced 15+ TD's, and Carson almer is a great QB, again dealing with an unlucky injury but will be back at pro bowl form next year. Lofa Tatupu, another pro bowl LB, rookie wide out steve smith for NYG had tremendous season with Eli, and so did special teams player terrell thomas.

USC runs pro style offenses and defenses and they will produce great professionals. I think the pats should go after another USC guy like Matty Cassel

I think you left out the guy who is arguably the best defensive player to come out of USC in the past 10 years or so, and that's Polamalu.

However, I have a hard time believing that Mays would fall to the Patriots at #24, as there are quite a few teams who will be looking at him who are picking ahead of us. Teams that come to mind are Houston, Denver, and Buffalo, as they could all use a good deal of help in their secondary. Now, this could change after free agency, but I still wouldn't count on Mays being available for us. I could very well see William Moore from Missouri fall to us at #24, however. Mike Mickens and Vontae Davis are also viable options from this spot. I do not see us taking a LB in the first round under any circumstances, unless of course we acquire another first round pick in a Cassel trade.

ERLynx
12-30-2008, 09:29 PM
that stinks i want mays. this whole picking 24th thing is a crock of shyt. an absolute crock.

piercethetruth
12-30-2008, 10:00 PM
haha of course polamalu probably the best secondary player in the league

bagwell368
12-30-2008, 10:03 PM
top 3 needs:

1. Secondary
2. LB
3. OL

Somewhat disagree. The hole at strong side ILB is much deeper the anything at CB, this team is built on an all pro type front 7 and the rest of the D has to help out whomever is playing there, although Seau was holding out pretty well.

CB, OL, TE is next, but my order is LT, TE, CB, S

futureheisman
12-31-2008, 11:24 AM
we have two 2nd rounders we could move up

Panzer133
12-31-2008, 01:20 PM

Your linebacker Mayo Thomas Scott bring in vrabel on blitzing downs.

Only problem here is that BB won't change to a 4-3 defense, it's not his style. Plus if they did turn into a 4-3 defense, it would be Jarvis Green, not peppers they would put in.

Also I feel that the AD Thomas signing wasn't a bust. He plays great on defense, only problem is that he got injured this year.

It would be awsome if they brought Scott in. He and Thomas already know each other from Baltimore.

I think though that they need to sign Cortland Finnigen or atleast draft a good CB in the draft. They can't have Deltha O'neal starting beside Hobbs. I love the guy but i mean come on. THE BENGALS DIDN'T WANT THIS GUY ON THEIR DEFENSE. THE BENGALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think they should draft a seafety. Meriweather played well as soon as Harrison ent down, plus he was our first round pick in the 2007 draft. You gotta give him a chance to play.

The Intimidator
12-31-2008, 03:34 PM
I don't think they should draft a seafety. Meriweather played well as soon as Harrison ent down, plus he was our first round pick in the 2007 draft. You gotta give him a chance to play.

Yes, but there are 2 safeties on the field at all times. If you play Meriweather at SS, you can draft a FS. That very well may be what they do.

Ewagner
12-31-2008, 03:45 PM
i would be shocked to see the pats go after a big name CB. they never want to pay big money to guys whose whole career is based on the front seven. if your front seven is excellent the corners will look better. BB is building his secondary and LB on speed. what the pats really need right now is a ted johnson LB in the middle. they need someone who can take on that back coming up the middle. that will free up mayo to rome a bit. i can see them sticking to drafting undersized fast CB in the later rounds. i can see there draft going a bit like this

DT
ILB
CB
TE
OT

Canada26
12-31-2008, 07:41 PM
Im not even sure what position the Pats NEED to adress in round 1. Obvioulsy LB needs to add some youth, but with guys like Gary Guyton and Shawn Crable, how much more youth do we need? A pick I would love to see would be Rey Maualuga, however, he will probably be gone by then. A guy I see being destined for NE is Clay Matthews. Such a Patriots type player with his work ethic and smarts. He is able to play both inside and outside in the 3-4, could be a valuable pick.

bagwell368
01-01-2009, 02:24 AM
Pats hit it big with Mayo. I don't see another one. Use the draft for depleted positions such as TE, CB, S, LT, RB, P (please) but for the Pats in '09, let's get a proven and expensive FA ILB so we know what we are getting.

Guys like Crable and Guyton are young and have proven little. Of all the positions we need to make go next year, its ILB.

ERLynx
01-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Pats hit it big with Mayo. I don't see another one. Use the draft for depleted positions such as TE, CB, S, LT, RB, P (please) but for the Pats in '09, let's get a proven and expensive FA ILB so we know what we are getting.

Guys like Crable and Guyton are young and have proven little. Of all the positions we need to make go next year, its ILB.

crable was on IR all year and is a OLB.

futureheisman
01-01-2009, 04:21 PM
If we could somehoe trade up and get Taylor Mays :drool:

bagwell368
01-01-2009, 05:05 PM
crable was on IR all year and is a OLB.

thanks, I was responding in part to Canada26 - the point is - there is nobody on the roster and nobody in college that is a slam dunk to be a top notch ILB for this team in 2009 IMO.

BTW, just for clarity sake - Crable was inactive for the first 8 games of the season and then was placed on IR with a shin injury in early November.

futureheisman
01-01-2009, 07:54 PM
.Michael Johnson is a guy who I would love to see a Lamar Woodely type I think would do very well in this defense.

MVPedroia
01-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Taylor Mays :drool:

The Intimidator
01-02-2009, 09:34 AM
.Michael Johnson is a guy who I would love to see a Lamar Woodely type I think would do very well in this defense.

Michael Johnson is widely viewed as a top 15 pick, so it is highly unlikely that he would fall to us. That being said, we're almost certainly not going to be looking at d-linemen in the first round.

futureheisman
01-02-2009, 12:14 PM
you could convert him into a LB

The Intimidator
01-02-2009, 04:49 PM
you could convert him into a LB

6 foot 7, 260 pounds is a bit big for a LB. He'd be more successful in the NFL staying at DE.

NESports2004
01-04-2009, 02:50 AM
Yes, but there are 2 safeties on the field at all times. If you play Meriweather at SS, you can draft a FS. That very well may be what they do.

Id prefer a vet at the FS spot, we put a rookie back there with Brandon itll be a very very young secondary.

MVPedroia
01-05-2009, 04:47 PM
We are going to have a very good draft.

The Intimidator
01-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Id prefer a vet at the FS spot, we put a rookie back there with Brandon itll be a very very young secondary.

Young but very talented at the same time. At the very least, I'm very excited to see what Meriweather can do next season. He improved by leaps and bounds this season.

flyanhawayan
01-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Merriweather should be a beast this year he had a very good season. Top FA's this offseason are asomugha, dawkins, mike brown, dawan landry. If we can sign one of these guys are secondary should be set. Maybe we would take Brian Cushing, versatile LB who played well in the rose bowl and we need depth at LB after it getting totally depleted during the season or Victor Harris nasty CB.

MVPedroia
01-06-2009, 01:30 PM
we adress a few key pieces in the draft and get Brady back we are going to the super bowl. book it.

PIPster86
01-06-2009, 04:15 PM
I think that Patriots should definately address the secondary issues with their their top pick in the draft by going after somone like Vontae Davis (CB) with the #24 pick. Then with the 2 picks they have in the second round try and go after Shonn Green (RB) with the #48 pick and Chase Coffman (TE) with the #56 with each addressing the problem areas on the offensive side of the ball. With the #88 pick I could see them going after someone to help out with the aging OL such Jason Watkins from Florida who can play OT/OG. Then in the 4th round I would like for them to go after another ILB to play with Mayo, a possible choice here would be Jasper Brinkley.

Any thoughts?

Cowboy Up
01-07-2009, 07:41 PM
We always have a really strong draft, I'm thinking the first few rounds would be a middle linebacker and some secondary picks. Although I wouldn't be surprised if they went against the grain a little, but I trust any drafting the Pats will do because it's always yielded excellent results.

BoSox47
01-08-2009, 08:59 AM
I heard an interesting story this morning about the patriots which fits in to this thread. It basically spoke of how the biggest loss they suffered was Daniel Graham. Mentioning that he was a great blocker and was like a 6th OL man. It gave several examples of how he was the type of TE a team needed to run a power running game. something obviously the patriots are missing. It also mentioned that by the personel on the field you could tell what a team was going to run but if you have a TE like Graham on the field it made it more difficult to figure out pass or run. It also mentioned that a player like Watson would benefit as it would be more difficult for teams to guess if he was staying in for protection or was going out on a route. If you look at all the successful TE's in the league they have a good blocking TE on the other side. I'm not saying this is a first round player we need to target but it is definately the type of player that will need to be targeted in this upcoming draft.

Patriots are not lacking a run game. they were 6th in the league in rushing.....

futureheisman
01-08-2009, 11:49 AM
i say we go with the system we had this year. have 2 or 3 running backs. Short yardage back third down back and every down back we can have a balanced attack between the pass and the run

Wake's Fastball
01-08-2009, 04:18 PM
With an absurd amount of good WRs going this year, anybody else think we ought to pick one up in the second round?

futureheisman
01-08-2009, 04:46 PM
The draft and Free agency should be focused on Defense. Two corners I like that are really under the radar are Bryant Mcfadden and Dewan Day. Both are very good cover guys and are ball hawks. I think you need another corner after that guys like Duante Robinson or Phillip Buchannon to lineup opposite side.

The Intimidator
01-08-2009, 05:37 PM
The draft and Free agency should be focused on Defense. Two corners I like that are really under the radar are Bryant Mcfadden and Dewan Day. Both are very good cover guys and are ball hawks. I think you need another corner after that guys like Duante Robinson or Phillip Buchannon to lineup opposite side.

Who the hell is Dewan Day? Do you mean Dawan Landry? If so, aren't McFadden and Landry the guys that I recommended that you hadn't heard of until I mentioned them? :laugh:

Snydesdale
01-11-2009, 04:01 AM
Tim Tebow 4th round move him to TE the man can do it all. Maybe let him play some ILB lol.

cneil99
01-11-2009, 12:40 PM
i'd really like the Pats to get Lauranitis or Taylor Mays. We really need secondary help and LB's. If we have Vrabel, Thomas on the Outside, Mayo, Lauranitis on the inside that would be awsome. Bruschi will probably be back but he's not an every down player anymore. We really need secondary help, so hopefully some of the guys we drafted last year step up. Wilhite didn't look too bad the more I saw him, but is he ready to start? Not sure about that. Offensively I'd say we are fine. The only improvements I can see if O-Line depth and a TE who can catch the ball. Watson has never panned out.

Basically, we need secondary help and pass rushing ability. Hopefully Brady is good to go next year and we can get something good for Cassel, not sure what his trade value would be though.

Wake's Fastball
01-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Who the hell is Dewan Day? Do you mean Dawan Landry? If so, aren't McFadden and Landry the guys that I recommended that you hadn't heard of until I mentioned them? :laugh:

A recently released Red Sox pitcher.

The Intimidator
01-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Tim Tebow 4th round move him to TE the man can do it all. Maybe let him play some ILB lol.

I'm not sure if you were being serious or sarcastic, but I agree with you. Tebow will most likely be available in the 4th round if he goes out, and he definitely has the body to be a TE or H-Back type of player. What's also interesting is that Belichick and Kraft were in Miami to watch the National Championship Game last week. I know that they were there as guests of Urban Meyer because he BB are pals, but it's possible that Tebow was being scouted as well.

kazzy4080
01-11-2009, 04:02 PM
I'm not sure if you were being serious or sarcastic, but I agree with you. Tebow will most likely be available in the 4th round if he goes out, and he definitely has the body to be a TE or H-Back type of player. What's also interesting is that Belichick and Kraft were in Miami to watch the National Championship Game last week. I know that they were there as guests of Urban Meyer because he BB are pals, but it's possible that Tebow was being scouted as well.

if the pats go tim tebow they could run some trick plays and maybe a version of the wild cat

kazzy4080
01-11-2009, 04:09 PM
tebow said hes staying for another year so we arent going to be drafting him

Snydesdale
01-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Really tebow is going back huh really thought he would come out. Anyway where is cushing projected to go I like him a lot. And what about trading up a bit to get orakpo reminds me of adaluis and could be moved to outside. And will someone fill me in on who Taylor Mays is?

futureheisman
01-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Really tebow is going back huh really thought he would come out. Anyway where is cushing projected to go I like him a lot. And what about trading up a bit to get orakpo reminds me of adaluis and could be moved to outside. And will someone fill me in on who Taylor Mays is?

Mays is the best safety in the draft who people drool over. He can cover and Hit the crap out of people everything you want in a safety.

griff141
01-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Most mock drafts have us selecting Brandon Spikes, William Moore, or Vontae Davis. If Cassel is franchised and traded, how high could we move up the board? I'm thinking we might be able to get into the top 15.

Sportfan
01-11-2009, 07:11 PM

I've seen a few mcoks that say we could get Cushing. Personally unless we get a guy like Asomugha or a shutdown corner through trade i think we should get CB. I really like Vontae Davis unless a top 10-12 player falls. Id defiantly take Jenkins if he fell to us and if Jenkins and Davis are both taken i say get Smith

Wake's Fastball
01-11-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm a big DJ Moore fan if Jenkins is off the board by our pick.

Sportfan
01-11-2009, 07:49 PM
I read in a scouting report for Alphonso SMith that he has some Asante Samuel in him. interesting

The Intimidator
01-11-2009, 11:36 PM
Yeah, it's too bad that Tebow is staying in school for his senior season. I really thought that we were going hard after him.

Ewagner
01-12-2009, 02:43 PM
just a little knowledge for everyone. since arizona and eagles both won the patriots will be moving up to the 23rd pick. with that said i would be shocked to see us draft a corner very high. i would love to see James Laurinaitis fall to us. i have seen him from the top ten to the second round. i have no desire for mays and i would be shocked to see him in NE. his biggest knock is that he is a poor tackler http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/prospects/taylor_mays.html. i have watched some of his highlights and that looks to be true. he trys to kill people instead of wrapping up. i know i stated that the pats would not draft a corner high but if the football gods love the patriots and give the patriots a top ten pick i could see the pats going after michael jenkins. he is the only corner they would draft in the first round. he is a jerod mayo type talent that is the only reason that would happen.

futureheisman
01-12-2009, 05:16 PM
you have no desire for Mays WHY NOT

Ewagner
01-12-2009, 11:27 PM
you have no desire for Mays WHY NOT

i prefer a guy a little more fundementally sound. i have watched of a lot games of this guy. he never takles anyone. he just trys to knock people out every time. the guy is a highlight reel. he reminds me of lavar arrington. lot of build up. for such a big the guy did not have one forced fumble all year. that is in a very weak pac-10. he was 5th on his team in tackles which is not that big of a deal considering the team he played on. I would rather take a chance on another safety later in the draft like rashad johnson of alabama, http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/prospects/rashad_johnson.html, then someone like mays

|--------Tackles--------||---Pass Def---|
Solo Ast Total TFL/Yd BrUp

Mays, Taylor 38 15 53 2.0-7 9

MVPedroia
01-12-2009, 11:47 PM
just a little knowledge for everyone. since arizona and eagles both won the patriots will be moving up to the 23rd pick. with that said i would be shocked to see us draft a corner very high. i would love to see James Laurinaitis fall to us. i have seen him from the top ten to the second round. i have no desire for mays and i would be shocked to see him in NE. his biggest knock is that he is a poor tackler http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/prospects/taylor_mays.html. i have watched some of his highlights and that looks to be true. he trys to kill people instead of wrapping up. i know i stated that the pats would not draft a corner high but if the football gods love the patriots and give the patriots a top ten pick i could see the pats going after michael jenkins. he is the only corner they would draft in the first round. he is a jerod mayo type talent that is the only reason that would happen.

you would be shocked that we got something we need? We need a lockdown corner and it might have to come in the first round. If Davis falls to us we have to grab him.

BENTHELEE
01-13-2009, 02:06 AM
Bruschi announced that he is going to honor his 2yr contract he signed in january 08....he's coming back

Canada26
01-13-2009, 02:30 AM
i prefer a guy a little more fundementally sound. i have watched of a lot games of this guy. he never takles anyone. he just trys to knock people out every time. the guy is a highlight reel. he reminds me of lavar arrington. lot of build up. for such a big the guy did not have one forced fumble all year. that is in a very weak pac-10. he was 5th on his team in tackles which is not that big of a deal considering the team he played on. I would rather take a chance on another safety later in the draft like rashad johnson of alabama, http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/prospects/rashad_johnson.html, then someone like mays

|--------Tackles--------||---Pass Def---|
Solo Ast Total TFL/Yd BrUp

Mays, Taylor 38 15 53 2.0-7 9

I wouldn't look too into his stats. They had a rediculous defense. For as good as Rey Maualuga is would his stats (tackles wise) even be good enough for top 50 in the country? And he won the Bednarik. That defense was forcing 3 and outs, left-right-and center. Mays is a big hit type of player and misses tackles, but that is nothing you cant really groom him into. I believe Laron Landry was kind of like that wasn't he? I would take Mays in a heartbeat. I think that he may end up in Buffalo with the 10th pick.

Bruschi announced that he is going to honor his 2yr contract he signed in january 08....he's coming back

Im happy. Favourite NFL player and hes back He was a 2 down player this year and I really don't see that changing this year. Good to hear.

eztmac1
01-13-2009, 03:23 AM
All this talk has me excited about seeing Meriweather (big hitter) with Mays (athletic, Ed Reed-type) in the secondary... stop talking about this because I will be very let down when I see Mays get drafted top 10 lol.

BENTHELEE
01-13-2009, 03:29 AM
lets grab a tightend, offensive lineman, and a cornerback...

we dont need anymore linebackers..keep in mind we have shawn crable who was out all year and could possibly move adalius thomas back to inside with mayo if crable works out

jetsRsnitchaz
01-13-2009, 08:07 AM
malcolm jenkins and taylor mays will be gone by the pats selection. i say take vontae davis if he's there. he's a genetic freak like his brother. his athleticism is through the roof. he has a great upside.
a guy i would like to see the pats pick maybe in the 2nd round would be c.j. spiller. i know the pats had the #5 (i think) rush offense in the league, but they don't have that threat that can break it 50 60 yards.

Crickr
01-13-2009, 09:36 AM
lets grab a tightend, offensive lineman, and a cornerback...

we dont need anymore linebackers..keep in mind we have shawn crable who was out all year and could possibly move adalius thomas back to inside with mayo if crable works out

Ummm If I remember corectly Thomas is a better OLB then ILB . He belongs where he is now in the lineup. But that being said I liked what I saw in Crable last pre season. He was a beast.

ZoisKing
01-13-2009, 10:51 AM
Hey guys, first time visitor/poster. Some good arguments on this board so far, and good enthusiasm for the upcoming (still so far away...) draft.

I'd like to throw my two cents in on possible early picks by the Pats. First off, I believe that the Pat's will think long and hard about teaming their young star, Mayo, with another budding talent. There are a good amount of quality LBs that will be available early in the draft. That will work in the Pats' favor. A guy that hasn't been getting significant hype, but definitely has the game is Brandon Spikes of Florida. He's typically rated as the 4th or 5th best LBer prospect in the draft, but a fellow SECer (Mayo) was perceived similarly last year and ended up being the DROY. They are eerily similar to me, though Spikes has a little more flamboyant personality. He seems to be a Belichick pick to me.

Another guy I'm high on is Willliam Moore of Missouri. He is equally efficient against the run and the pass and has good size at 6 and half feet tall and 230pounds. He has had a few minor injuries over his college career, but none too substantial. I think he would make our safety group very versatile and talented as both he and Meriweather can swing between SS and FS. I could see him being more SS and Meriweather being the FS. His availability may be in question though as he jumps to the head of the class with Mays' return to school. The Pats won't hold the same advantage they would when drafting LBs.

Both guys could be had depending on what happens with the Cassel/Brady drama. Then the team could focus on CB and OT.

Ewagner
01-13-2009, 11:12 AM
you would be shocked that we got something we need? We need a lockdown corner and it might have to come in the first round. If Davis falls to us we have to grab him.

yes i would be shocked. how many years have people said they need a linebacker or corner and they never drafted one? they finally drafted mayo last year. they make great organizational decisions in the draft. i beleive they will only draft a player in the first round at one of those two positions if they are a can't miss prospect like mayo. jenkins falls in that catagory but obviously will not be around when we select.

i agree about the talent on USC and the stats don't say everything. watch the highlights of the guy. go on youtube and look up these devestaing hits he lays. he never wraps up. he basically runs into the guy. he misses tackles because he doesn't wrap up. that's a problem. that's a habit that will need to be broken. the question is what happens when he misses a tackle for a big run?

i like william moore but he seems exactly like merriweather and i believe a big hitter is what is needed with our S that is why i mention rashad johnson. i beleive you will be able to get him in the second round and that is good value.

The Intimidator
01-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we can end the slobbering over Taylor Mays, and the theories about how to move up and pick him. Pete Carroll said yesterday that Mays is returning to school for his senior season. Here's the link: http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_11439613

chomaru
01-13-2009, 07:57 PM
Hey guys, first time visitor/poster. Some good arguments on this board so far, and good enthusiasm for the upcoming (still so far away...) draft.

I'd like to throw my two cents in on possible early picks by the Pats. First off, I believe that the Pat's will think long and hard about teaming their young star, Mayo, with another budding talent. There are a good amount of quality LBs that will be available early in the draft. That will work in the Pats' favor. A guy that hasn't been getting significant hype, but definitely has the game is Brandon Spikes of Florida. He's typically rated as the 4th or 5th best LBer prospect in the draft, but a fellow SECer (Mayo) was perceived similarly last year and ended up being the DROY. They are eerily similar to me, though Spikes has a little more flamboyant personality. He seems to be a Belichick pick to me.

Another guy I'm high on is Willliam Moore of Missouri. He is equally efficient against the run and the pass and has good size at 6 and half feet tall and 230pounds. He has had a few minor injuries over his college career, but none too substantial. I think he would make our safety group very versatile and talented as both he and Meriweather can swing between SS and FS. I could see him being more SS and Meriweather being the FS. His availability may be in question though as he jumps to the head of the class with Mays' return to school. The Pats won't hold the same advantage they would when drafting LBs.

Both guys could be had depending on what happens with the Cassel/Brady drama. Then the team could focus on CB and OT.

iv seen a lot of mocks that have us taking this guy, Id be all for it.

Sportfan
01-14-2009, 07:36 PM
Mays is the best safety in the draft who people drool over. He can cover and Hit the crap out of people everything you want in a safety.

mays is staying at USC

Morgan
01-14-2009, 07:46 PM
This years draft and offseason should be very interesting with Pioli not making the picks and signings. This guy who's replacing Pioli could be a totally different GM and, he could possibly go out and spend a little money on free agents and we could use a couple expereienced guys.

kbjohnson26
01-14-2009, 08:23 PM
No, they promote hire Pioli's replacement from within (Cesario probably) and everything will stay the same. As long as BB is still there.

kbjohnson26
01-14-2009, 08:43 PM
I think BB is picky when it comes to drafting certain players. Especially from the LB position.

Also, don't forget we have alot of young guys already at Corner and LB. Between Wheatley and Wilhite, one of them will either start or fight for a starting job. And I think Crable has been coming along and I think he will emerge. I can see maybe going after a CB through FA and a OL in round one of the draft.

John Reeese
01-14-2009, 09:15 PM
you know your right and also they should put Brady on the line

The Intimidator
01-14-2009, 10:27 PM
you know your right and also they should put Brady on the line

What the hell are you talking about?

tonyd3b54
01-17-2009, 01:44 PM
patriots should draft william moore safety... great run stopping saftey and they say hes great in coverage even thos hes 230lbs....should be around by our pick if the vikings dont take him right before us

Super.
01-17-2009, 02:14 PM
patriots should draft william moore safety... great run stopping saftey and they say hes great in coverage even thos hes 230lbs....should be around by our pick if the vikings dont take him right before us

dont they have a good saftey named darren sharper?

The Intimidator
01-17-2009, 03:56 PM
It would be great if Moore was available to us at #23, but I think he's ticketed for the middle of the first round. I would love to see him in a Patriots uniform though.

king boSox
01-17-2009, 09:58 PM
to the patriots have go after one of these 3 CB Vontae Davis, D.J moore, and sean smith and as for a safety looking to William Moore i also they we have to beome quicker at the linebacker postion and start producein sacks i bearly see the pats gettin sacks yeah they was 14th in sacks but i want 2 see them pick up another player like mayo and add him to the linebacker core

bagwell368
01-17-2009, 11:05 PM
This years draft and offseason should be very interesting with Pioli not making the picks and signings. This guy who's replacing Pioli could be a totally different GM and, he could possibly go out and spend a little money on free agents and we could use a couple expereienced guys.

Pioli only knows what BB disclosed to him, wait til they found out they got an empty suit in KC....

Pioli wasn't a GM, he was a coordinator of information for BB - like a private secretary.

BTownTeamsRKing
01-18-2009, 03:05 AM
for a while i thought that we would go LB, buttt james sanders is a FA so how about that beast Harris from OU? i also would like to somehow get their TE Greshem. he was great in the title game.

my dream off season for NE

Harris - Safety from OU
Greshem - TE from OU
Sign Jonathon Vilma and take a chance on him.
attempt to get Lito Sheppard for cheap.
Re-sign Wilfork and Seymour to new deals.
and maybe take a chance and draft RB Shonn Green.

bagwell368
01-18-2009, 10:43 AM
Whatever goes down in the offseason, I think it's better then 50/50 that the roster will be the deepest and strongest in the entire BB reign on opening day '09. Further, after '09 when so many FA's come up, I think they won't be able to maintain this roster, and we'll slip back a notch.

It's a shame about Brady because they would have 13-3 or better this year with him, and the league seems down in general, so a title looks to have been in the cards. Next year I fear is it for a really strong road to a title, after that back to a dogfight. May God bless Tom Brady, and his knee!

Wake's Fastball
01-18-2009, 12:20 PM
for a while i thought that we would go LB, buttt james sanders is a FA so how about that beast Harris from OU? i also would like to somehow get their TE Greshem. he was great in the title game.

my dream off season for NE

Harris - Safety from OU
Greshem - TE from OU
Sign Jonathon Vilma and take a chance on him.
attempt to get Lito Sheppard for cheap.
Re-sign Wilfork and Seymour to new deals.
and maybe take a chance and draft RB Shonn Green.

Gresham is going back to school with Bradford.

The Intimidator
01-18-2009, 12:38 PM
It's a shame about Brady because they would have 13-3 or better this year with him, and the league seems down in general, so a title looks to have been in the cards. Next year I fear is it for a really strong road to a title, after that back to a dogfight. May God bless Tom Brady, and his knee!

Without a doubt. With Brady at the reigns this season, there is no doubt in my mind that the Colts game would have been a win. You could also assume that one of the other 4 losses (Dolphins, Chargers, Jets, Steelers) would have been a win as well. There are your 13 wins right there.

Next year is going to be a very tough road, definitely. We'll be playing the Ravens, Panthers, Falcons, Titans, and Jaguars at home, and the Broncos, Buccaneers, Saints, Colts, and Texans on the road. So, if you include the Dolphins, we'll play 7 games against teams who made the playoffs in 2008, and 10 games against teams who had winning records in 2008. Not an easy road, Brady or no Brady.

MVPedroia
01-18-2009, 01:35 PM
it seems like we play the Colts away every ****ing year

hockeyunhboy77
01-18-2009, 02:19 PM

This guy copied exactly what one guy wrote word for word I recall reading the exacted same thing. One of the mock draft website site about how the patriots need to replace dainel gram atleast quote it.

The Intimidator
01-18-2009, 02:32 PM
it seems like we play the Colts away every ****ing year

That's because we do. :rolleyes:

Canada26
01-18-2009, 03:04 PM
With Tedy Bruschi coming back, should erase LB being the first pick unless a guy like Rey Maualuga fell to the Patriots. In that case, I could see the OL or TE being adressed. The only TE I really see that is worthy of the 1st round pick is Brandon Pettigrew from OK State. Best blocker in the draft and would be a better blocker than some in the NFL right now. As far as OL goes, there will be one of a couple of guys who may jump up into the late picks of round 1. I really see those positions being adressed first. There is a chance that they go with a guy like Tyson Jackson or BJ Raji to add youth and depth at the DL.

futureheisman
01-18-2009, 09:25 PM
With Tedy Bruschi coming back, should erase LB being the first pick unless a guy like Rey Maualuga fell to the Patriots. In that case, I could see the OL or TE being adressed. The only TE I really see that is worthy of the 1st round pick is Brandon Pettigrew from OK State. Best blocker in the draft and would be a better blocker than some in the NFL right now. As far as OL goes, there will be one of a couple of guys who may jump up into the late picks of round 1. I really see those positions being adressed first. There is a chance that they go with a guy like Tyson Jackson or BJ Raji to add youth and depth at the DL.

I see no way that the patriots draft a TE in the first round. The whole idea of getting depth at the D-line is one that I love. Julius Peppers is a guy who I would love to have coming off the edge along with Seymour. You get guys in here who can rush the passer it improves your secondary. So you get Peppers and change this defense to a 4-3. So you have Peppers Seymour Warren and Wilfork:. You have Thomas Vrabel and Mao as your LBS.

Your front 7 is Peppers Warren Seymour Wllfork Vrabel Thomas and Mayo.

Then you have to address the secondary. I cant stand seeing another season with Deltha Oneal and Ellis Hobbs as your two corners. Im looking at the under the radar guys. Bryant Mcfadden is one guy who I like from the Steelers. very physical and good cover guy. Dawan Landry is a guy who I would die to see in this secondary. Highly productive his first two seasons and has had injury problems. You stick him back there as your SS and him and Merriweather back there as your safeties. Then address the other corner through the draft. So youre defense for 2009 would be

DE:Peppers
DE: Seymour
NT: Wilfork

LB: Thomas
LB:Mayo
LB:Vrabel

CB:McFadden
CB:Wilheight
SS:Landry
FS:Merriweather

:drool:

hatch81
01-18-2009, 10:21 PM
I was trying to figure out since Arizona made the super bowl don't the Patriots move up a spot in the draft now from 24 to 23.

MVPedroia
01-18-2009, 10:48 PM
I see no way that the patriots draft a TE in the first round. The whole idea of getting depth at the D-line is one that I love. Julius Peppers is a guy who I would love to have coming off the edge along with Seymour. You get guys in here who can rush the passer it improves your secondary. So you get Peppers and change this defense to a 4-3. So you have Peppers Seymour Warren and Wilfork:. You have Thomas Vrabel and Mao as your LBS.

Your front 7 is Peppers Warren Seymour Wllfork Vrabel Thomas and Mayo.

Then you have to address the secondary. I cant stand seeing another season with Deltha Oneal and Ellis Hobbs as your two corners. Im looking at the under the radar guys. Bryant Mcfadden is one guy who I like from the Steelers. very physical and good cover guy. Dawan Landry is a guy who I would die to see in this secondary. Highly productive his first two seasons and has had injury problems. You stick him back there as your SS and him and Merriweather back there as your safeties. Then address the other corner through the draft. So youre defense for 2009 would be

DE:Peppers
DE: Seymour
NT: Wilfork

LB: Thomas
LB:Mayo
LB:Vrabel

CB:McFadden
CB:Wilheight
SS:Landry
FS:Merriweather

:drool:

Whilite* :)

Crickr
01-19-2009, 09:43 AM
I was trying to figure out since Arizona made the super bowl don't the Patriots move up a spot in the draft now from 24 to 23.

Yes I think they do

futureheisman
01-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Another thingwe could do is trade up for Michael Jenkins which I would love to see them do. we have two 2nd round picks so I think we could do it

Ewagner
01-19-2009, 11:17 AM

they moved up no matter what because philadelphia and arizona were drafting in front of them

Wake's Fastball
01-19-2009, 11:31 AM
Whilite* :)

Wilhite*

MVPedroia
01-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Wilhite*

lol had a feeling I was wrong

Crickr
01-19-2009, 02:03 PM
lol had a feeling I was wrong

Bur we all knew what you meant lol

jim51990
01-20-2009, 05:18 PM
i feel hobbs is a very solid corner hes not a number one but he would be a great number 2.

futureheisman
01-20-2009, 05:29 PM
i feel hobbs is a very solid corner hes not a number one but he would be a great number 2.

Me too

Crickr
01-20-2009, 06:23 PM

He is a very good kick returner but as a cb I have many doubts.

poppa12645
01-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Hobbs is a nickel back at best he's too short and many times is out of position in our zone coverage and better suited for man coverage but again hes too short taller receivers take advantage

poppa12645
01-21-2009, 06:19 PM
Lets talk about Ben Watson he is a phenomenal athlete above average speed above average blocking, below average hands, needs work on his football handling. He accounted for 4 turnovers, three deflected passes that hit him in the hands intercepted, and the phantom fumble against the jets I dont think they will get rid of him until next season, What do you guys think?? I do miss Daniel Graham

The Intimidator
01-21-2009, 06:23 PM
Lets talk about Ben Watson he is a phenomenal athlete above average speed above average blocking, below average hands, needs work on his football handling. He accounted for 4 turnovers, three deflected passes that hit him in the hands intercepted, and the phantom fumble against the jets I dont think they will get rid of him until next season, What do you guys think?? I do miss Daniel Graham

Quite simply, I think Watson is gone. Just ask Bagwell368 what he thinks about Watson. :D

bagwell368
01-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Quite simply, I think Watson is gone. Just ask Bagwell368 what he thinks about Watson. :D

OK... he sucks big time. Bye Bye! Plus get this, some team will actually pay this stiff big money to take him off our hands.

Also who said he is an above average blocker, he's a turnstyle!

poppa12645
01-21-2009, 06:53 PM
well if watson is gone who replaces him there is only a handful of good te in the draft free agency is pretty crappy

Ewagner
01-22-2009, 12:19 PM
i agree watson will probable be gone. he is a poor mans version of vernon davis which isn't a good thing. a super athlete that just can't do the basics, block, catch, or run routes. i would like to see them draft Davon Drew, East Carolina. he is an amazing blocker that the pats would be able to get in the later rounds.

Red_Sox_89
01-22-2009, 08:11 PM

Number one priority: defense
Our top two picks need to go to defense, preferably OLB and CB. Then, we can go for a runningback. We have two picks in the 2nd round, and I think our 3rd overall would be a good time to pick up Donald Brown outta UConn. He had over 2000 rushing yards and 18 scores

poppa12645
01-22-2009, 11:18 PM
I think an OLB would be a great addition because everyone knows a good pass rush = good corner backs

Pass rush = Good cornerbacks

MVPedroia
01-22-2009, 11:52 PM
I'd love for us to get Donald Brown.