PDA

View Full Version : I Need Some Opinions & Input!

chicagowhitesox
10-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Allright, so me and my friend have an argument. In a hypothetical situation, he believes I would be dominated in a 1-on-1 game to 21 by any NBA player. I would strongly agree with his opinion. However, he thinks that I would be completely incapable of scoring whatsoever. If I were to play Kirk Hinrich, let's say, he tells me the score would be 21-0 every single time. I dispute this to the highest degree. I'm 6'3" (6'4" with shoes) with a 6'8" wingspan. Almost exactly the same frame as Derrick Rose. I have a 31" standing vertical, which isn't a horrible number for an NBA pg. I can dunk one handed, two handed, reverse, and alley oops if the pass is accurate. I honestly believe I wouldn't be the least athletic player in the NBA. I have a pretty solid jumpshot. Probably around 70% ft to give you an idea. The last time I played organized basketball was middle school. But I've been playing intramurals ever since then and everyone tells me I could have started for my hs team if I would have tried out. Now do you guys think I honestly would not be able to get a lucky basket or two against some guy like Kirk Hinrich, who is a similar size and athletic ability? I think the score would be about 21-5 Hinrich. Please help me settle this.

Zefflin
10-14-2008, 07:22 PM
The Captain would sink your ship bro.

Hah.

21-0.

chicagowhitesox
10-14-2008, 07:23 PM
The Captain would sink your ship bro.

I know I totally agree but do you think he would shut me out every time we played? Completely blank me?

chicagowhitesox
10-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Hah.

21-0.

How? Do you think he would block every shot of mine or steal the ball from me every time? I'm sure I'd make a lucky fadeaway or something.

Zefflin
10-14-2008, 07:27 PM
Haha, I'm just busting your balls. You might get a point against Boykins.

sacgiants1213
10-14-2008, 07:30 PM
depends if it's winners or losers outs....

if it's winners then you'd lose, but if its losers you'd have so many opportunities to get lucky that your bound to make a prayer.

Lakersfan2483
10-14-2008, 07:31 PM
Allright, so me and my friend have an argument. In a hypothetical situation, he believes I would be dominated in a 1-on-1 game to 21 by any NBA player. I would strongly agree with his opinion. However, he thinks that I would be completely incapable of scoring whatsoever. If I were to play Kirk Hinrich, let's say, he tells me the score would be 21-0 every single time. I dispute this to the highest degree. I'm 6'3" (6'4" with shoes) with a 6'8" wingspan. Almost exactly the same frame as Derrick Rose. I have a 31" standing vertical, which isn't a horrible number for an NBA pg. I can dunk one handed, two handed, reverse, and alley oops if the pass is accurate. I honestly believe I wouldn't be the least athletic player in the NBA. I have a pretty solid jumpshot. Probably around 70% ft to give you an idea. The last time I played organized basketball was middle school. But I've been playing intramurals ever since then and everyone tells me I could have started for my hs team if I would have tried out. Now do you guys think I honestly would not be able to get a lucky basket or two against some guy like Kirk Hinrich, who is a similar size and athletic ability? I think the score would be about 21-5 Hinrich. Please help me settle this.

You may be able to hit a jumper on him. 21-1.

chicagowhitesox
10-14-2008, 07:33 PM
depends if it's winners or losers outs....

if it's winners then you'd lose, but if its losers you'd have so many opportunities to get lucky that your bound to make a prayer.

This was my argument exactly.

Hawkeye15
10-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Miamiheat had it right. If it is winners outs, than he may run the table. But if you are what you claim, you would be able to get a basket or two against Hinrich.

chicagowhitesox
10-14-2008, 07:56 PM
Miamiheat had it right. If it is winners outs, than he may run the table. But if you are what you claim, you would be able to get a basket or two against Hinrich.

lol what you think i made something up? i have some videos on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/chicagowhitesox1989
they're a couple years old and i've grown since then, but that should give you an idea.

BoltLakerPadre
10-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Look up the a link on True Hoop about Devin Harris playing a guy in a white V neck sweater, and tell me that kid looks athletic, street baller or no. You could score on Hinrich, but if it was winners outs, he might blank you a few games.

ARMIN12NBA
10-14-2008, 08:10 PM
You could probably get a few buckets. He may not take you seriously and he will cheat for a steal and you will have a wide open layup to the basket. It happens.

S.J.Basketball
10-14-2008, 08:15 PM
If you played Kwame you'd win 21-0.

pete_one
10-14-2008, 09:15 PM
u might dunk on his ***. 21-1

Hawkeye15
10-14-2008, 09:29 PM
lol what you think i made something up? i have some videos on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/chicagowhitesox1989
they're a couple years old and i've grown since then, but that should give you an idea.

I am seriously not trying to criticize, but you would not score more than a bucket. Sorry. I am 5'11", and could dunk easily from 17-26 years old, until I quit playing. My younger brother was a 6'4" point guard, who played D1, and he could beat me 21-8 on average. He had no prayer at the NBA, or any pro league period. I don't think you could score on a pro player more than 1/20 posessions, at best. Sorry. You asked for our opinions. My father was an NBA player, but was older by the time I played, and he still kicked my butt. And I was a 19 ppg player my last 2 years in high school. The level of play in the pros is unreal

metsfreak
10-14-2008, 09:31 PM
You might get lucky and get a bucket or two.

chicagowhitesox
10-14-2008, 09:36 PM
I am seriously not trying to criticize, but you would not score more than a bucket. Sorry. I am 5'11", and could dunk easily from 17-26 years old, until I quit playing. My younger brother was a 6'4" point guard, who played D1, and he could beat me 21-8 on average. He had no prayer at the NBA, or any pro league period. I don't think you could score on a pro player more than 1/20 posessions, at best. Sorry. You asked for our opinions. My father was an NBA player, but was older by the time I played, and he still kicked my butt. And I was a 19 ppg player my last 2 years in high school. The level of play in the pros is unreal

I know, I know. It's not even like that. I'm not trying to say I'm anywhere near being on the level of NBA players. Or even have the ability to score on them. I just think I could get shots off and eventually I would be lucky enough to sink a couple. My friend somehow thinks I would be completely suffocated and never get a decent enough shot off to come close.

Hawkeye15
10-14-2008, 09:38 PM
I know, I know. It's not even like that. I'm not trying to say I'm anywhere near being on the level of NBA players. Or even have the ability to score on them. I just think I could get shots off and eventually I would be lucky enough to sink a couple. My friend somehow thinks I would be completely suffocated and never get a decent enough shot off to come close.

nah, if you can handle, and are over 6', you could at least scramble, and get a few decent looking shots off. If that is what you mean, then sure, I think you could get a decent look at the rim in a game of 21.

cmellofan15
10-14-2008, 09:44 PM
I think you could put up points against someone like Damon Stoudamire. Nobody over 6' though, esoecially a starter.

chicagowhitesox
10-14-2008, 09:54 PM
I think you could put up points against someone like Damon Stoudamire. Nobody over 6' though, esoecially a starter.

idk even know about that, though. what about someone like jason kidd? i'm sure he can't dunk anymore. he's not going to block me all the time or anything. i could get shots up and maybe have one go in.

bogdanrom
10-14-2008, 10:06 PM
I think you might surprise him and score a bucket or two because he won't take you serious at first. It all depends on who gets ball, losers or winners. I've played with a bunch of college D-1 players and I know for sure I will barely score 5 or 6 points. I will be hard for him to beat you 21-0 but definitely not impossible.

SAVAGE CLAW
10-14-2008, 10:09 PM
dont dream buddy, professionals are millions of miles away at every abilitie than playground players.

You probably wouldnt score over a Cba or Nbdl Player.

Ive played against some spanish league third!!! division players and could barely avoid being harrassed, you can be sure you wouldnt score against anybody on a pro league around europe too.

Only chance is see is beating Shaq in a Free trow game, thats it.

chicagowhitesox
10-15-2008, 10:36 AM
dont dream buddy, professionals are millions of miles away at every abilitie than playground players.

You probably wouldnt score over a Cba or Nbdl Player.

Ive played against some spanish league third!!! division players and could barely avoid being harrassed, you can be sure you wouldnt score against anybody on a pro league around europe too.

Only chance is see is beating Shaq in a Free trow game, thats it.

I've played against D1 college starters before and didn't get destroyed. I think it was just like 21-7 or something. It's really hard to shut someone out in a game up to 21 no matter how superior one player is.

23LBJCleBrowns
10-15-2008, 04:06 PM
You would score.

Frank Costanza
10-15-2008, 04:27 PM
hey chiwhitsox i think if you got first ball and felt good yu could hit 1-2 early shots then one or 2 later on when he missed, im saying 21-6(7)

Hawkeye15
10-15-2008, 06:48 PM
I've played against D1 college starters before and didn't get destroyed. I think it was just like 21-7 or something. It's really hard to shut someone out in a game up to 21 no matter how superior one player is.

Like I said, I played against my brother, a D1 point guard, and my father, a former NBA player, and it is possible to score, but if they get the ball on winners outs, and take it seriously, you won't be able to stop them, that is the problem.

Lost Art
10-15-2008, 06:52 PM

You'd get ruined by anyone in the NBA..........but by no means would it be a shutout. If you can shoot the ball, you'd at least be able to drain a couple 3's from the top of the key or something. Although I wouldn't recommend putting the ball on the floor and trying to drive to the hoop. And like others have mentioned, if its winners out you might be in for a tough day. Most NBA players could simply out-muscle you or just take it to the hoop every time. You might not get the ball back :(

JMan17
10-15-2008, 06:53 PM

well i would beat you 21-0. I'm 6'7, size 15 shoe. you wanna go? :D

BadBoy
10-15-2008, 07:02 PM
If your as good athleticly as you say you should beet him. But you did not mention if you had any handles or not. if not he will pick you poket all game. He does reach alot and there would be no Ref

Hawkeye15
10-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Larry Johnson's grandma could beat you. Course, she is 6'5", 220 lbs and can reverse dunk in her Sunday dress

JOSETHEALLSTAR
10-15-2008, 07:47 PM
no chance

RapsGuy23
10-15-2008, 08:20 PM
21-0 if your playing winners.... if your playing losers you may get 1 basket (probably not though). The NBA is the top league in the world. Unless you've played against NBA players in NBA competition you have no way to accurately gauge yourself against them.

UofA
10-15-2008, 09:16 PM
maybe 2 or 3 points

sacgiants1213
10-15-2008, 09:26 PM
u probably have a better chance against players like matt caroll or travis diener

NYMetros
10-15-2008, 09:34 PM
21-1 or 21-2 probably.

Hinrich probably is a lot quicker and has better footwork than you, so your chances of getting to the basket are minimal. Your best chance of scoring would be to keep taking fade away's and hope one goes in.

Not that you're actually going to play him or anything though.

chicagowhitesox
10-16-2008, 10:18 AM
well i would beat you 21-0. I'm 6'7, size 15 shoe. you wanna go? :D

sure let's do it. i don't see how that shoe size comment had any relevance, but okay. i'd put money on me scoring at least a bucket.

Industry
10-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Depends on who is the better street ball player. NBA is the NBA but street ball is street ball. John Stockton is one of the best point guards of all time, but he would have lost to Marbury in his prime in a game of one on one on a blacktop court anywhere in America. Thats just my opinion. Its a different game and we need to stop trying to apply an organized, help defender based game to a bunch kats on the block banging each other calling their own fouls lol