PDA

View Full Version : You can't talk championship without mentioning DEFENSE

Kiss Ma Grits
10-14-2008, 03:05 PM
All summer long I along with everyone else on here have made case after case as to why are teams are going to be playing in the finals. Most people point out the players that they've added and how that player helps them offensively but when the post season swings around your teams defense will play just as much of an role as your teams offense. When you're DEEP in the playoffs your team will be facing offenses who are just as good as your own but DEFENSE wins championships. I'm a Cavalier fan and I'll be the first to tell you that even with Lebron, if not for our defense we would NOT be as successful as we've been in the last post seasons. Our head coach tries his best to model the team's defensive mindset to that of The Spurs and the Pistons who are ALWAYS in championship contention because of their DEFENSE. Boston was no of the top 5 defensive teams last year. That's what got them there. Check out the number they did on Lebron in last years series. Check out the number that San Antonio did on him the year before. I, myself could care less who got what over the summer, if your team and coach don't take pride in their defense and defending as if their life depended on it then what you'll end up with is Golden State or Phoenix.

pebloemer
10-14-2008, 03:19 PM
I agree.

If you look at the worst defensive teams in the league last year, you may notice that they are usually also the worst teams in the league.

Here's a stat from Hollinger:

Worst Defense Against 2-PT Shots, '07-08
TEAM Opp. 2-pt FG%
Memphis 51.4
Milwaukee 50.9
New York 50.7
Minnesota 50.7
L.A. Clippers 49.8
League average 48.4

You can debate the value of the statistics, but not surprisingly the 5 worst teams in the league at defending the 2pt shot all did not make the playoffs.

PhillySportFan
10-14-2008, 03:27 PM
I agree and I'll always make that argument for the Sixers because they do play defense and have good athletes. It's obviously the truth, Celtics, Spurs, Pistons, Shaq and Kobe, all those teams that year they won the championship were one of the best defensive teams in the league.

cegielskijastro
10-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Im a Rockets fan, and they had the second best defense last year behind the Celtics... now that they've added Artest they have two of the best defenders in the league(Battier) i dont know but it could end up being a Celtics-Rockets Final if we can stay healthy... and im not being biased did you see that Rockets-Celtics preseason game? that was pretty intense...

JayW_1023
10-14-2008, 05:35 PM
If you play great defense you win more consistently. Fact.

JordansBulls
10-14-2008, 05:39 PM
Depends on the team. If you don't have inside presence with guys that can score in the paint, you will definitely need to be a good defensive team to have a shot of winning.

Hellcrooner
10-15-2008, 02:44 AM
I disagree

Magic= Bad Defenders

KAreem= Notoriosulty bad Defender.
WOrhty= Ok defender

Wilkes, = Bad defender

sCOTT = ok Defender.

Thompson= horible defender

Mcadoo? Denfese? whats that?????

Cooper = good defender

Rambis / Ac Green = Good Defender.

yes you can name it they won 5 rings with not more than 2 a little more than average deffenders in each roster.

Vinny642
10-15-2008, 08:48 AM
I can say my teams a contender for a championship, we had a top 5 defense last year. And our offense is pretty good.

Wilson
10-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Agreed, we've seen time and time again that offense will get you to the play-offs, but defense will keep you there.

Bwangster12
10-15-2008, 09:49 AM
I think guys like Bird, Magic are exceptions as they are HOFers.

Defense wins championships... like it does in every sport.

JordansBulls
10-15-2008, 09:55 AM
I disagree

Magic= Bad Defenders

KAreem= Notoriosulty bad Defender.
WOrhty= Ok defender

Wilkes, = Bad defender

sCOTT = ok Defender.

Thompson= horible defender

Mcadoo? Denfese? whats that?????

Cooper = good defender

Rambis / Ac Green = Good Defender.

yes you can name it they won 5 rings with not more than 2 a little more than average deffenders in each roster.

That made me laugh. Kareem a bad defender? I don't think so.

Hellcrooner
10-15-2008, 11:01 AM
He himself has ecognised it was the sourest spot of his game, and fans used to pick at him for not being agressive enough in the rebounds fo exampe.

JordansBulls
10-15-2008, 11:09 AM
He himself has ecognised it was the sourest spot of his game, and fans used to pick at him for not being agressive enough in the rebounds fo exampe.

He might not have been the best defender but he was an excellent defender. You don't make 5 defensive 1st teams and 6 second teams without being an excellent defender.