PDA

View Full Version : new all star game

cegielskijastro
10-14-2008, 01:16 AM
i have no problem with the all-star game, or the way they pick the all-stars that play in it, but the game sucks they dont take it seriously because the players arent playing for home field advantage in the finals... so why not a USA vs. World game more people would get into it, and with the globalization of the league, and the talent levels of foreign players it would make for a great game...

The Starters

USA--------------------------WORLD
C.Dwight Howard--------------Yao Ming
PF.Tim Duncan----------------Dirk Nowitzki
SF.LeBron James--------------Pau Gasol
SG.Kobe Bryant---------------Manu Ginobili
PG.Chris Paul-----------------Steve Nash

I dont feel like doing the reserves but you get the idea, and i know yall may be bias and put your teams favorite players, im a rockets fan and i just of easily could've but Scola instead of Pau or T-mac instead if Kobe, you have to realize i hate Dirk, Kobe, Chris Paul, Manu, and Duncan, but im just going what i think the fans would pick... good idea or bad idea? would yall watch? Tell me what yall think...

Lost Art
10-14-2008, 01:19 AM
Good idea.........and this comes up every year when we get near the allstar break ;)

barreleffact
10-14-2008, 01:22 AM
isnt that racism? americans vs immigrants?

cegielskijastro
10-14-2008, 01:25 AM
isnt that racism? americans vs immigrants?

WOW your clever...

barreleffact
10-14-2008, 01:26 AM
WOW your clever...

does that mean you disagree or that is is racism?

pd7631
10-14-2008, 01:27 AM
i have no problem with the all-star game, or the way they pick the all-stars that play in it, but the game sucks they dont take it seriously because the players arent playing for home field advantage in the finals... so why not a USA vs. World game more people would get into it, and with the globalization of the league, and the talent levels of foreign players it would make for a great game...

The Starters

I dont feel like doing the reserves but you get the idea, and i know yall may be bias and put your teams favorite players, im a rockets fan and i just of easily could've but Scola instead of Pau or T-mac instead if Kobe, you have to realize i hate Dirk, Kobe, Chris Paul, Manu, and Duncan, but im just going what i think the fans would pick... good idea or bad idea? would yall watch? Tell me what yall think...

That's because the US reserves would own the foreign reserves.

lavis
10-14-2008, 01:32 AM
Old old old idea.. And we've had this topic numerous times..

East vs West is good. But I think they should like play for a charity. Say each member from the winning team gets like 10 grand donated in their name to a charity in their teams hometown. Maybe that would motivate them a little and make it a game? Might be an old idea too..

SAVAGE CLAW
10-14-2008, 01:50 AM
Own rest of the world reserves? well, first of all i would use Dirk as the Sf and Pau as the PF :P but anyway of course, Usa bench would rule over world bench, you know they just woudl have people like...... Tony Parker, Calderon, Diaw, Barbosa, Nene, Stojakovic, Rudy fernandez, Deng, Marc Gasol, yeah crap you know?

Storch
10-14-2008, 01:51 AM
Great idea! The world never had any problems getting along, they are more then capable of creating a 12 man allstar world team. :pity:

SAVAGE CLAW
10-14-2008, 01:52 AM
^ Well you just could mix Up Argentina and Spain and reinforce it with Parker, Dirk and MIng......

SAVAGE CLAW
10-14-2008, 01:53 AM
Parker/Calderon/Rubio

Manu /Rudy/Navarro

Dirk/Garbajosa/

Pau/Scola

Ming/ Marc Gasol

sounds baout right:P

Lost Art
10-14-2008, 01:58 AM
Parker/Calderon/Rubio

Manu /Rudy/Navarro

Dirk/Garbajosa/

Pau/Scola

Ming/ Marc Gasol

sounds baout right:P

PG Chris Paul / Deron Williams / Gilbert Arenas
SG Kobe Bryant / Dwyane Wade
SF Lebron James / Carmelo Anthony
PF Kevin Garnett / Tim Duncan (yes, he's on team USA)
C Dwight Howard / Andrew Bynum / Greg Oden

Yeah, I'll take team USA :eyebrow:

Hellcrooner
10-14-2008, 02:29 AM
^Team usa almost lost to Spain, now add Ming Dirk and Parker to spain like proposed.....

Dont be so egocentric.

Anyway jsut wait and see 2010 World Cup, youll get defeated again.

Lost Art
10-14-2008, 02:47 AM
^Team usa almost lost to Spain, now add Ming Dirk and Parker to spain like proposed.....

Dont be so egocentric.

We'll see about that. Honestly I think that team USA would be better off just sending one NBA TEAM to the olympics. I think that if we sent the Celtics or the Lakers to the Olympics this year they would've cleaned up. IMO the problem with our Olympic team is that we send a bunch of players that aren't used to playing with one another. If we sent a team that was used to playing with one another I think that we'd be much more dominant. I'd take this team to win the whole thing:

PG Fisher
SG Kobe
SF Ariza
PF Odom
C Bynum

or

PG Rondo
SG Allen
SF Pierce
PF KG
C Perkins

I think either team would've played much more cohesive basketball. Also stars sometimes don't know how to play the role of second fiddle, its hard for them to get into any kind of rhythm when they are being subbed in and out so frequently and have to tone back their game. I think having role players along with stars makes the strongest team.

barreleffact
10-14-2008, 03:13 AM

Dont be so egocentric.

OK...add KG and or TD to our roster this year. same thing. the only thing we missed was a great post presence. No matter how you look at it, a USA roster should never lose talent wise.

I also agree with Lost Art tho. Teamwork and knowing roles, as-well-as being comfortable accepting them, go a long way and would help us a lot with dominateing further.

Big Quett
10-14-2008, 03:26 AM
OK...add KG and or TD to our roster this year. same thing. the only thing we missed was a great post presence. No matter how you look at it, a USA roster should never lose talent wise.

I also agree with Lost Art tho. Teamwork and knowing roles, as-well-as being comfortable accepting them, go a long way and would help us a lot with dominateing further.

Yeah i agree with that. But just think about what he just said. Adding international superstars would give the world team the same problem. Yao, Dirk, and people like Tony Parker would have to make the same adjustments. So it would really be a wash and talent would just have to win out.

Dont be so egocentric.

LAcowBOMBER
10-14-2008, 03:42 AM
It's not a good idea because it wouldn't be the 24 best players in the league. I don't think that half of the all-stars would be foreign players if you picked it normally

pd7631
10-14-2008, 08:23 AM

Dont be so egocentric.

The only reason we almost lost was because we had to play your cheap FIBA style play. I'll take team USA over team Spain 100 times out of 100. Let's see, the optimal team USA IMO would be:

PG-Chris Paul / Deron Williams / Jason Kidd
SG-Kobe / Dwayne Wade / Allen Iverson
SF-Lebron / Carmello / T-Mac
PF-Tim Duncan / KG / Amare
C-Dwight Howard / Al Jefferson / Shaq(what the hell)

The world may be able to put together a starting lineup together to compete against the USA, but if you're talking about Luis Scola being a part of the world all star team then there's no way in hell that you can possibly believe that the world team would stand a chance.

I think it's great that you love your country, but c'mon dude....you think way too much of Spain's bball team. You put the Olympic teams against eachother with NBA rules, and USA wins by 25 easily.

NYKnickFanatic
10-14-2008, 08:29 AM
LeBron would destroy Pau at the 3. :D

pd7631
10-14-2008, 08:31 AM
Own rest of the world reserves? well, first of all i would use Dirk as the Sf and Pau as the PF :P but anyway of course, Usa bench would rule over world bench, you know they just woudl have people like...... Tony Parker, Calderon, Diaw, Barbosa, Nene, Stojakovic, Rudy fernandez, Deng, Marc Gasol, yeah crap you know?

You're exactly right, compared to what the USA bench would be, that is a bunch of crap you just named. Tell me how many All Star games those guys have been a part of. What has Marc Gasol ever done that is so great? Diaw had one good year, he's been crap ever since. Nene hasn't proved anything because he's hurt all the time. Stojakovic can't do anything but shoot. Luol Deng has good potential but hasn't taken his game to the next level.

These guys are all role players on their teams with a couple exceptions(Parker, Calderon).

You're comparing these guys to proven NBA All Stars and future HOF'ers

Don't get me wrong these guys are good players, but most of them will never make an All Star game their entire career, and as a fan I would never watch the All Star game again if I had to watch those guys play in it.

JJ81
10-14-2008, 08:34 AM
Nah there should be a one-on-one tournament!:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

kingkobe
10-14-2008, 10:02 AM
It's not a good idea because it wouldn't be the 24 best players in the league. I don't think that half of the all-stars would be foreign players if you picked it normally

Yeah but then its the same right now. West is stuffed with way more all-stars than the east. Like for PG - theres Nash, Parker, Paul, Williams and now even Kidd who are the top 5 PG in the league right now but all in the west.

Maybe they should make it all open. Like select 4 PG's total from the whole league instead of East/West. and then divide the teams. Like the team USA A and team USA B that they did for team USA practices.

Hellcrooner
10-14-2008, 10:12 AM
^ mmmmm how about Voters decide Captain of team 1 and Capgtain of team 2

then those captains Choose their players for the game kind of when you play in the street.

Hellcrooner
10-14-2008, 10:17 AM
oh and the number of good foreigners is not going to go down but on teh contrary, some day a foreigner will be the best player in the league ( most pobably an africna born player developed and raised in europe) wheter american recognise it or not.

think it this way

30 years ago there were NO foreigners.

20 years ago there were some token foreigners playign rubish time until Petrovic who was the first who coudl have been allstar

10 years ago there were some solid starters like Kukoc but no all stars.

today 2 mvps Nash and Dirk and 1 finals mvp Parker and a lot of players in the top ten ro top five at ther positions Like Nash, Parker, Calderon, Ginobili,Dirk, Pau, MIng

$ NyC $
10-14-2008, 10:20 AM
How do you expect the World team 2 talk 2 each other?

JordansBulls
10-14-2008, 10:29 AM

The Starters

I think it would be cool if that was the game on Friday night instead of the Rookies and Sophomores.

If the NBA was going to replace the allstar game with the game above, then MLB definitely should as they probably have more people from other countries playing then does the U.S.
Also does Hockey even do that, because they probably have more individuals from different countries playing that sport than does the U.S.

AFlagRules
10-14-2008, 10:49 AM
I think it would be cool if that was the game on Friday night instead of the Rookies and Sophomores.

If the NBA was going to replace the allstar game with the game above, then MLB definitely should as they probably have more people from other countries playing then does the U.S.
Also does Hockey even do that, because they probably have more individuals from different countries playing that sport than does the U.S.

Hockey did that for a long time. Now they're back to East/West. It use to be NA vs World...Wales vs Cambell (don't ask, but thats what they were called), They also took teams and went against "all-stars" for example, the Maple Leafs vs All-Stars or the Canadians vs "All-Stars".

More than 60% of the MLB is of some sort of Spanish speaking country...Them alone would destroy anyone else.

Wilson
10-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Old old old idea.. And we've had this topic numerous times..

East vs West is good. But I think they should like play for a charity. Say each member from the winning team gets like 10 grand donated in their name to a charity in their teams hometown. Maybe that would motivate them a little and make it a game? Might be an old idea too..

Seems a little unfair to the charities who are waiting to see if they get $10'000 or nothing...

cegielskijastro
10-14-2008, 11:41 AM

i think they used to do a NHL All-Stars vs. CCCR game, but the CCCR would always destroy the NHL... so they stoped

kyleh1987
10-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Does anyone think they should do what MLB does and institute Home Court Advantage to ensure that players actually take the game seriously?

mrblisterdundee
10-14-2008, 12:44 PM

The Starters

Technically Tim Duncan is from the Virgin Islands, and Pau Gasol isn't a small forward.

USA
C: Dwight Howard
PF: Amare Stoudemire
SF: LeBron James
SG: Kobe Bryant
PG: Chris Paul or Deron Williams

World
C: Yao Ming
PF: Dirk Nowitzki or Pau Gasol
SF: Linas Kleiza
SG: Manu Ginobili
PG: Steve Nash

Wilson
10-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Does anyone think they should do what MLB does and institute Home Court Advantage to ensure that players actually take the game seriously?

I think home court should be awarded to the team with the best record, you shouldn't have to go play a game 7 on the road against a team you had a better record than just because of the all-star game. It's unfair to the coaches and players who didn't have the chance to participate in the all-star game.

The all-star game shouldn't be taken too seriously anyway, it's supposed to be a small party in the middle of the season isn't it?

$ NyC $
10-14-2008, 12:56 PM
exactly..if they take it so seriously it wont be as entertaining, they wont try the dunks they try, they wont do the tricks they do. It's 4 fun, the winning team should be rewarded a one week vacation after their seasons end. There you go. This way Rasheed will wanna come instead of blow it off 4 a vacation loll.

cegielskijastro
10-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Technically Tim Duncan is from the Virgin Islands, and Pau Gasol isn't a small forward.

USA
C: Dwight Howard
PF: Amare Stoudemire
SF: LeBron James
SG: Kobe Bryant
PG: Chris Paul or Deron Williams

World
C: Yao Ming
PF: Dirk Nowitzki or Pau Gasol
SF: Linas Kleiza
SG: Manu Ginobili
PG: Steve Nash

Tim Duncan if from the U.S. Virgin Islands... so he'll be on the USA team...