PDA

View Full Version : Carmelo and Allen Iverson experiement, have they had enough time to prove themselves?

JordansBulls
10-13-2008, 05:37 PM
Iverson got traded virtually the middle of the 2006-2007 season and last year they were together for the entire year.

Both years in the playoffs they lost to the team that blazed thru the conference on their way to the finals.

My question is: Have Carmelo and Allen Iverson had enough time to prove themselves together on the Nuggets yet or will this year be the year where we can say that they have had enough time together?

SUNDUNDIDIT
10-13-2008, 05:51 PM
This will be the year to criticize or praise...I think denvers focused on what needs to be done....It needs to be a team effort, and not depended on 2 players alone....

Denver has a well more rounded C in NENE...He's by far as good as Camby in both offense and defense, as long as he stays healthy....Balkman and Anderson are already showin intensity off the bench, and Balkman impressed a lot of Nuggets fans with his Defensive attitude in that Outdoor game....

Kenyon has shed weight, and is lookin more healthier then ever, and high flyin like he use to be when he was an all star.....J.R. Smith still shows that he can get it done, bein the top scorer in both preseason games thus far....And we still workin with the extra players....Reuben Patterson even impressed me, the way he was determined to hustle and play hard in the televised game...

The only weakness I see denver havin is Anthony Carter.....He's worthless....He was our startin PG last year, and to me, he's a reason why we have troubles.....When he gets pick and rolled, he can't get back on defense on time before the player he's guardin has an open shot.....And every time I see a player hit an open shot against us, I always see Carter double teamin a player that he shouldn't.....

...And his offense is even more pathetic.....He isn't a playmaker whatsoever, and he makes 2 good plays every game, and misses majority of shots that he puts up....I'm honest when I say, that I can hit more shots at a park with the wind blowin, then he can in a game!!!!

Nuggets really need that PG, but Chuck Atkins is a crybaby, and gets hurt everytime he touches a jersey, and Anthony Carter is too small,old,and slow....I would really hope that we could incorporate J.R. Smith into the lineup but it doesn't seem Karl is tryin to execute on it.

Nuggets can be better thern most teams, but there so much flaws that they have to work out, that it doesn't seem possible, unless we get the PG position worked out......But other then the PG problem, nuggets are in it, and I think Melo and A.I. will show how determined they are in proven the criticizin people wrong, and showin how valuable they can be together!

MrBloop
10-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Iverson got traded virtually the middle of the 2006-2007 season and last year they were together for the entire year.

Both years in the playoffs they lost to the team that blazed thru the conference on their way to the finals.

My question is: Have Carmelo and Allen Iverson had enough time to prove themselves together on the Nuggets yet or will this year be the year where we can say that they have had enough time together?

That experiment has worked out exactly how I thought it would...

Competitive regular season team records, nice stats, high scores, all culminating with early playoff exits to teams with better stars than them.

This team lost any D it had to begin with (Camby), so offensively the duo could get better, but that won't help them win in the postseason

JOSETHEALLSTAR
10-13-2008, 05:57 PM
i think they wont work to many good teams in the west

SUNDUNDIDIT
10-13-2008, 06:00 PM
That experiment has worked out exactly how I thought it would...

Competitive regular season team records, nice stats, high scores, all culminating with early playoff exits to teams with better stars than them.

This team lost any D it had to begin with (Camby), so offensively the duo could get better, but that won't help them win in the postseason

How do you figure we lost every kind of Defense that we can possess, when we have added players over the offseason just for that reason???? We lost a blocker, and a CENTER who wasn't physical enough to play against a post game.....So explain....You sound like a broke record, another echo repeatin the same thing over and over again that everybody else says, yet nobody explains.

bogdanrom
10-13-2008, 06:06 PM
I think this will be the last chance for "experiment". If by the trade deadline the Nuggets are struggling to make the playoffs then I see them trading one or maybe both(but probably not).

DerekRE_3
10-13-2008, 07:07 PM
Look at the Celtics last year. They won a championship in their 1st year. AI and Melo have been together roughly 1 1/2 seasons, and they haven't gotten out of the first round yet. I think they have had enough time.

UofA
10-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Need to show pretty good signs of improvement by the all-star break or they should move one of them

Lakersfan2483
10-13-2008, 08:01 PM

I don't think both Melo and AI compliment one another very well. Melo is still learning how to make others better and needs the ball in his hands to be even remotely effective in a game. Iverson has sacrificed contrary to popular belief, his assists are up, but I don't think he fits in with Denver, he would be great on a team like Detroit.

I don't see the Nuggets doing much this year, they will struggle to make the 8th seed.

DenButsu
10-13-2008, 10:02 PM
I think we'll be solid this year. A playoff team for sure, and quite possibly better than last year. But not a championship team, which was the goal of the experiment.

So the real question is by what measure you'd judge it a success.

If the measure is a championship, it's a fail.
If the measure is a deep playoff run (or at least getting out of the first round), it's a fail.
You see where this goes.

Granted, this is all "so far", and they've got one last shot. But as much as I'd like to see it happen, they're not going all the way this year (they're going much farther than 90% of NBA fans are giving them credit for, but not all the way). So in terms of greater success, I'm looking to 2009-10 and beyond. When AI's off the team and his departure has allowed the Nuggets to acquire a legitimate point guard, and a younger PF/C to join the core of J.R., Melo and Nene.

But all that said, I do think this probably will be their best season together. And their final season together. How good is "best"? Probably not good enough to deem "the experiment" a success in most people's eyes. But surely good enough to get into the playoffs, and possibly out of the first round for the first time in six consecutive years in the postseason.

Beno7500
10-13-2008, 10:14 PM
They have to prove themselves this year

tru
10-13-2008, 10:26 PM
I think we'll be solid this year. A playoff team for sure, and quite possibly better than last year. But not a championship team, which was the goal of the experiment.

So the real question is by what measure you'd judge it a success.

If the measure is a championship, it's a fail.
If the measure is a deep playoff run (or at least getting out of the first round), it's a fail.
You see where this goes.

Granted, this is all "so far", and they've got one last shot. But as much as I'd like to see it happen, they're not going all the way this year (they're going much farther than 90% of NBA fans are giving them credit for, but not all the way). So in terms of greater success, I'm looking to 2009-10 and beyond. When AI's off the team and his departure has allowed the Nuggets to acquire a legitimate point guard, and a younger PF/C to join the core of J.R., Melo and Nene.

But all that said, I do think this probably will be their best season together. And their final season together. How good is "best"? Probably not good enough to deem "the experiment" a success in most people's eyes. But surely good enough to get into the playoffs, and possibly out of the first round for the first time in six consecutive years in the postseason.

I see the Denver Nuggets as another Charlotte Bobcats team(obviously they had a better record but hear me out) The nuggets seem to have LOADS of talent and just never seem to get the job done...honestly I just dont think AI and Melo can play on the same court, they are both the #1 guy on the team and when that happens, the chemistry goes to *****....I do not beleive losing Camby will effect them too much as I see Camby as a weaker Tyson Chandler, who will be the starting C by the way??? anyway maybe if Ai can FULLY COMMIT to being a passing point guard then the nuggets will succeed more, also I think JR Smith should definitly be a starter, that guy has alot of potential but for right now i say they win around 50 games and "possibly" advance to the 2nd round, I think they're one legitimate big man away from a finals trip, only problem is Ai and Melo hog up so much of the salry cap that it will be hard to bring in another big man thats worth a damn, perhaps the nuggets should see what the asking price for Okeafor is, I think he would fit in perfectly in Denver......but my honest opinion to sum it all up is get rid of AI.....perhaps to detroit for Rasheed and billups for Ai and a second round which I think is fair but anyway thats just my thoughts

DenButsu
10-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Need to show pretty good signs of improvement by the all-star break or they should move one of them

I think unless the Nuggets have some transcendental success this season - and I'm talking making it to the WCF and playing very well there or the Finals - AI's gone after his contract expires.

theanswer418
10-14-2008, 10:31 PM
I see the Denver Nuggets as another Charlotte Bobcats team(obviously they had a better record but hear me out) The nuggets seem to have LOADS of talent and just never seem to get the job done...honestly I just dont think AI and Melo can play on the same court, they are both the #1 guy on the team and when that happens, the chemistry goes to *****....I do not beleive losing Camby will effect them too much as I see Camby as a weaker Tyson Chandler, who will be the starting C by the way??? anyway maybe if Ai can FULLY COMMIT to being a passing point guard then the nuggets will succeed more, also I think JR Smith should definitly be a starter, that guy has alot of potential but for right now i say they win around 50 games and "possibly" advance to the 2nd round, I think they're one legitimate big man away from a finals trip, only problem is Ai and Melo hog up so much of the salry cap that it will be hard to bring in another big man thats worth a damn, perhaps the nuggets should see what the asking price for Okeafor is, I think he would fit in perfectly in Denver......but my honest opinion to sum it all up is get rid of AI.....perhaps to detroit for Rasheed and billups for Ai and a second round which I think is fair but anyway thats just my thoughts

how bout ai start at point if he gonnna pass more might as well swithch him to point guard and put jr smith in the lineup and we have a excelent 6th man in kleiza i say it will work the line up should look like this

pg:ai
sg:jr smith
sf:melo
pf:kmart
c:nene

if this works the "iverson trade rumors" will stop and the nuggets will be a playoff team i feel confident in denver and surely hope that they use that line up

SAVAGE CLAW
10-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Yes they had, it didnt work, they should try to move foward and trade one of them.

AirJordanXVIII
10-14-2008, 11:15 PM
I think this is the last year for fully prove. Anything less than a Western Conference Final's appearence would be a failed experiment.

avsman05
10-14-2008, 11:38 PM
This will definately be the last year for AI and Karl as well if they don't make it past the first round. A lot of this is dependent on Melo, he needs to step up and play D and rebound like he did for USA. We see that Melo they will be a better team. Karl needs to play the players that are playing the best that night and sit AI and Melo if need be. If they can do that I can see a second or third round bid but no further.

Please no more comments about Camby unless you are going to back them up. It gets really old saying the same old thing he was our only defender. We had Kmart last year did a pretty d*** good job on Defense.

ramansingh3
10-17-2008, 02:41 PM
Look at the Celtics last year. They won a championship in their 1st year. AI and Melo have been together roughly 1 1/2 seasons, and they haven't gotten out of the first round yet. I think they have had enough time.

thats what i was thinking, the only difference is the nuggets are blessed with depth.

Chronz
10-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Theyve accomplished a fair amount, theyve never had their full compliment of bigmen so you cant really say theyve had more than enough time. With Nene and K-Mart fully healthy they wouldve been better on both ends. Melo and AI did their part with the scoring but their defense left alot to be desired. They need to mix up the offense for sure though.

Chronz
10-17-2008, 03:22 PM
So AI and Melo should be expected to accomplish as much as an entire Celtics squad?

thats what i was thinking, the only difference is the nuggets are blessed with depth.
Celtics were pretty deep themselves and got deeper as the season went on.

JordansBulls
10-17-2008, 03:27 PM
I think what could change the Nuggets fortune would have been if they had a PG.

Put Hinrich on that team from last year at PG instead of Carter and that team can possibly win 60 games.

Hinrich having guys who can create their own shot would enable him to have many open shots.

Chronz
10-17-2008, 03:42 PM
I really dont think Hinrich is worth 10 extra wins but yea hes the kind of stopper they couldve used on the perimeter but they need bigmen more than anything.

IversonIsKrazy
10-17-2008, 06:39 PM
it never worked, west is way 2 competitve. if u think abt it, it was sucessfull in a way. they wanted 50+wins, they got 50, its just that they never realized every1 else was going to win 50 as well. when the trade went down, if they had won 50 wins, they b like 3rd. now w/ 50, u may b looking on TV for playoffs.

SUNDUNDIDIT
10-17-2008, 06:57 PM
I really dont think Hinrich is worth 10 extra wins but yea hes the kind of stopper they couldve used on the perimeter but they need bigmen more than anything.

No...Nuggets need a PG....Carter isn't beneficial and Chuckys always hurt.

L@ker4Life

Dope sig...I remember that game..That dude torched the Lakers.

avsman05
I think what could change the Nuggets fortune would have been if they had a PG.

Put Hinrich on that team from last year at PG instead of Carter and that team can possibly win 60 games.

Hinrich having guys who can create their own shot would enable him to have many open shots.

Totally agree with you Hinrich would put that team over the hump.

L@ker4Life
10-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Those guys need an offensive post presence and a new defensive philosophy. Iverson and Mello have all the tools to be good defenders but D just isnt on their mind.

amare#1
10-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Before the Camby trade I would've said that its too late to prove themselves, but I now think that they will have another chance without Camby slowing things down.

DenButsu
10-17-2008, 07:37 PM
Those guys need an offensive post presence and a new defensive philosophy.

That post presence would be Nene. And George Karl spent the entire first week of training camp trying to implement a new defensive philosophy. So the concepts and pieces are in place (save for a legit pg). We'll see how well executed they will be.

dre1990
10-17-2008, 07:57 PM
I say give them 1 mo year.....they could Surprise alot of people

_Sn1P3r_
10-18-2008, 01:09 PM
That post presence would be Nene. And George Karl spent the entire first week of training camp trying to implement a new defensive philosophy. So the concepts and pieces are in place (save for a legit pg). We'll see how well executed they will be.

Yeah agreed. We'll see if this offseason was an improvement defensively.