PDA

View Full Version : Peavy on the market

acohn1230
10-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Jake Peavy and Roy Oswalt are best friends. Any chance at all the Astros have the pieces to put this trade together? I read somewhere Roy and Peavy would like to play together

whitesoxfan83
10-13-2008, 05:36 PM
i dunno to me the astros seem like they would be a great fit

being that hes good friends with oswalt, that could be the selling point

Felipe Paulino, Josh Flores, and Hunter Pence?

maybe towles instead of pence?

i think that could net peavy. that would be quiet a 1-2 punch. and just the kind of youth the padres might be looking for.

native_astro
10-13-2008, 08:59 PM
The Astros probably could package something together, but the Padres are going to want Pence.

I wish we could offer....

Michael Bourn: CF
J.R Towles: C
Polin Trinidad: AA SP
Bud Norris: AA SP
Mark Ori: (A) 1B

I read somewhere that Peavy would only waive his no trade clause to go to a NL team(not named), and I believe it is the Astros because of the strong tie to Roy Oswalt.

I don't think the Astros are going to be a player in this one.

Sign Wolf and Garland and concentrate on the draft again.

lawphin2
10-13-2008, 11:02 PM
If we want Peavy it means we lose Pence. I would really miss Pence and hate to see him play against the Astros.
I'm kinda torn on this, if it happens, sure i'll be upset but i'm also sure i'll get over it.

I bet it would take somethin close to
Pence
Towles
Norris
Paulino
for
Peavy

maybe more, but it will definitely be Pence.

lawphin2
10-13-2008, 11:04 PM
Who would take Pence's place if Brian Bogusevic isn't ready?
Do you see anyone you like?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/12/2009-mlb-free-a.html

native_astro
10-13-2008, 11:46 PM
Who would take Pence's place if Brian Bogusevic isn't ready?
Do you see anyone you like?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/12/2009-mlb-free-a.html

Bourn, Reggie or Erstad can play CF until Bogusevic is ready.

If something like this were to take place and Pence was traded(this is the mother of all "If's"). I would not be surprised to see the Astros go out and sign Adam Dunn.

Peavy at the top of the rotation, Dunn in RF, and Bogusevic in CF would make me forget about Pence really quick.

Tragedy
10-14-2008, 12:03 AM
1) Peavy is going to cost a LOT in terms of prospects. I'm not entirely sure the Astros have what it takes.

2) Peavy-Oswalt being best friends has literally nothing to do with where Peavy will end up. He's not to tell the Padres to put him on the Astros "Because my friend is there".

cegielskijastro
10-14-2008, 12:31 AM
we're not giving away pence, but i think this could do it

sampson
towles
saccomanno
bogusevic
cash
and some more players

peavy is great and ya know that he'll waive his no trade clause to come here just think of the rotation...

oswalt
peavy
wolf
wandy
moehler

nickymintz
10-14-2008, 01:17 AM
I doubt that we get in the race for Peavy. Theres just so many other teams that want him that have better trade pieces (Yankees). The only things that make me believe that we could get him is that...
1) Him and Oswalt are very good friends
2) The Astros know they need another top of the rotation starting pitcher
3) The Astros and Padres seem to make a lot of trades with each other and seem to sign free agents from each other
4) In basketball, the Grizzlies traded a star player for crap why wouldnt it work in baseball?

TheRedMarauder
10-14-2008, 08:56 AM
4) In basketball, the Grizzlies traded a star player for crap why wouldnt it work in baseball?

Because there's no salary cap in baseball. That trade was basically a salary dump.

It's very unlikely that the Astros have what it takes in terms of prospects to get Peavy. And I would say no to the trade if it meant letting go of Pence.

acohn1230
10-14-2008, 12:10 PM
1) Peavy is going to cost a LOT in terms of prospects. I'm not entirely sure the Astros have what it takes.

2) Peavy-Oswalt being best friends has literally nothing to do with where Peavy will end up. He's not to tell the Padres to put him on the Astros "Because my friend is there".

well..it means something because Peavy has a no trade clause, and he has publicly said he would like to play with roy

sep11ie
10-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Quality outfielders are all around. Top notch starting pitchers on the other hand are not. And it does kinda matter what he says cause he can only be traded where he wants to be traded. I'd try to throw a package with Bourn in there and if they dont flinch, counter with a lesser package with Pence.

richardle9
10-14-2008, 04:24 PM
i would be torn if we gave away pence, he has only been a pro for 2 years and on the path to get better

braves95
10-14-2008, 04:52 PM
They are gonna play together in Atlanta!!!!!

sep11ie
10-14-2008, 04:56 PM
^Stay in your own teams forums dude. We dont need your ******** here.

braves95
10-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Srry dude it wus a joke

ROCKETMAN34
10-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Well the only way I see him playing here is if the Rockets Daryl Morey becomes the Astros GM. The guy could trade Backe and a bag of sunflower seeds for him and the Pads would feel great about the deal.

sep11ie
10-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Srry dude it wus a joke

All good man, just an Astros fan on the edge here.

richardle9
10-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Well the only way I see him playing here is if the Rockets Daryl Morey becomes the Astros GM. The guy could trade Backe and a bag of sunflower seeds for him and the Pads would feel great about the deal.

thats what i was thinking!!!! i had a thought why couldnt morey be the GM for all the houston teams!! he is a genius.

braves95
10-15-2008, 05:47 PM
All good man, just an Astros fan on the edge here.

Yeah i hear man im same way with the braves

rhino17
10-15-2008, 05:59 PM
I read something today saying he would approve a trade to Chicago, LA, Houston, or St. Louis

tripleplay2007
10-15-2008, 07:45 PM
Yea. They are talking abt it in the Pads forum.

tripleplay2007
10-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Our farm is dead though thanks to our owner... So I really don't see us getting him unless the Pads GM and Owner are just as retarted. Bud will probably have to be in the package.

choog
10-16-2008, 01:34 PM
^^^^

Dude. . . I can't even read the thread because I'm laughing too hard at your He-Man vid

tripleplay2007
10-16-2008, 03:03 PM
^^^^

Dude. . . I can't even read the thread because I'm laughing too hard at your He-Man vid

He-Man is the ultimate pwner. He just owned kids of different races, a fox, and of course jamie lynn spears and some other chick!

Glad you like. :D

lawphin2
10-17-2008, 01:34 AM
The more I think about the more I want Peavy. If we trade for him we won't lose the 1st round pick by signing a pitcher. The Padres apparently want 2 young pitchers and a center fielder.

Maybe Paulino, Norris and Pence would do it. Or Nieve, Paulino, and Pence.

Astros Rotation in 2009:
Oswalt
Peavy
Wolf
Wandy
Moehler

sounds awesome, even without Pence in the lineup.

RelaxedFan
10-17-2008, 08:45 AM
Just remember, based on having Kaz, Miggy, Lee and Lance in our lineup, Pence will more likely bat 6th in our lineup again. If our #6 hitter (not saying he is the 6th best), can help us land Peavy...I say do it. Whatever you give up to get him, it is worth it.

acohn1230
10-17-2008, 11:48 AM
LF- Carlos Lee
CF- Michael Bourne
RF- Adam Dunn
1B- Lance Berkman
2B- Kaz Matsui/ Geoff Blum
SS- Miggy Tejada
3B- Ty Wiggington
C- Humberto Quientero

SP- Roy Oswalt
SP- Jake Peavy
SP- Randy Wolf
SP- Alberto Arias
SP- Brian Moehler

trade backe for cash

resign latroy hawkins and doug brocail UNLESS we can get a type A or type B draft pick

sep11ie
10-17-2008, 01:44 PM
No dunn!! We dont need him!!!

astrosmaniac
10-18-2008, 11:33 PM
if the padres were to accept a deal like this (which they pry wont unless ed wade has been taking lessons from daryl morre (sp?)) would you do this?

brian bogusevic
brandon backe
bud norris
felipe paulino / nieve?

another situation is a 3 team trade (no team in mind, just a thought).

we send out:
Brian bogusevic
Jose Valverde
we recieve:
Jake peavy

padres recieve:
brian bogusevic
2 pitching prospects from team 3

Padres send out:
jake peavy

Team 3 recieves:
Jose Valverde

Team 3 sends out:
2 pitching prospects

kinda like what the redsox and dodgers and pirates did.

lawphin2
10-18-2008, 11:38 PM
if the padres were to accept a deal like this (which they pry wont unless ed wade has been taking lessons from daryl morre (sp?)) would you do this?

brian bogusevic
brandon backe
bud norris
felipe paulino / nieve?

another situation is a 3 team trade (no team in mind, just a thought).

we send out:
Brian bogusevic
Jose Valverde
we recieve:
Jake peavy

padres recieve:
brian bogusevic
2 pitching prospects from team 3

Padres send out:
jake peavy

Team 3 recieves:
Jose Valverde

Team 3 sends out:
2 pitching prospects

kinda like what the redsox and dodgers and pirates did.

see, i would do that. But i bet we would have to add a pitcher of our own, maybe two

Blackcar09
10-19-2008, 01:19 AM
Looks like we may not be getting Peavy after all...:(

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081018&content_id=3629172&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

tripleplay2007
10-19-2008, 01:40 AM
astros maniac has the right idea. I think the most deal would be the likliest to be done if any.

RelaxedFan
10-19-2008, 08:27 AM
Does anyone get the feeling that Ed Wade is working his tail off to get this deal done but is trying a million different ways NOT to include Pence?

I just remember the 06 offseason when the Astros went after Garland and the CWS wanted Pence in the deal, so the Astros went plan B, kept Pence and got Jennings. PLEASE DO NOT GO TO "PLAN B" PACKAGE PENCE IF IT GETS YOU PENCE!

tripleplay2007
10-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Wade is a horrible GM. He has never pulled of a big deal so I really don't belive it will be happening now.

jimbobjarree
10-19-2008, 02:10 PM
I think wade is the messiah to Houston personally

tripleplay2007
10-19-2008, 02:13 PM
You have to be kidding me...

jimbobjarree
10-19-2008, 02:22 PM
no he's the man

lawphin2
10-19-2008, 03:31 PM
Does anyone get the feeling that Ed Wade is working his tail off to get this deal done but is trying a million different ways NOT to include Pence?

I just remember the 06 offseason when the Astros went after Garland and the CWS wanted Pence in the deal, so the Astros went plan B, kept Pence and got Jennings. PLEASE DO NOT GO TO "PLAN B" PACKAGE PENCE IF IT GETS YOU PENCE!

we dont know what Wade is doing, he never talks about possible trade until after they happen. So he may very well be trying to work a trade out, even if it includes Pence.

astrosmaniac
10-19-2008, 03:36 PM
if there is one thing wade does well it is draft, so id personally not wanna lose our first round pick

RelaxedFan
10-19-2008, 07:19 PM
I agree that Ed Wade doesn' tell anyone anything...honestly, I don't remember ever hearing about any of his trades before they happened. Only think I remember being news before it was announced was the Kaz signing.

jsmith.astros
10-19-2008, 09:51 PM
I'd love to have Peavy but I don't think its worth it to give up Pence (a guy who can hit for avg, power, steal bases, and play solid outfield) along with the few prospects we have. Why don't we just sign Sheets, Burnett, or Lowe? This way we could get good pitching without giving away young talent.

Agstro
10-21-2008, 01:56 AM
I'd love to have Peavy but I don't think its worth it to give up Pence (a guy who can hit for avg, power, steal bases, and play solid outfield) along with the few prospects we have. Why don't we just sign Sheets, Burnett, or Lowe? This way we could get good pitching without giving away young talent.

1. We are one of a few teams that Peavy has said he would go to, so there is less competition for his services. With the other three you mentioned everybody is going to bidding on them. It is probably safe to say at least one if not two of the guys are going to the Yankees.

2. Sheets is a disabled list waiting to happen. Wants big money and will probably get it from someone. I just hope it is not the Astros.

3. We sign anyone of those guys we lose our first round draft pick because they will all be Type A free agents. If we trade for Peavy we don't lose the pick and everybody knows we need draft picks.

4. Peavy is proven our prospects aren't. Potential can only get you so far. I remember when we had a stable of pitching studs. Redding, Elarton, Hamala, Saarloos, Astacio, etc..... Some are still around, but none really amount to anything. There have been a few that where great like Garcia, and we will see about Patton and Hirsh but...Peavy is top 5 right now.