PDA

View Full Version : Penguins do not view the contract status of Jordan Staal as a pressing need as of yet

Sbank
10-13-2008, 04:25 PM
The Penguins do not view the contract status of Jordan Staal as a pressing need as of yet.
"We'll sit down at some point and see where we are, compare notes," general manager Ray Shero said. "But the time just isn't now." Staal's current deal expires at the end of the season and he will likely seek a payout in the $4-$5 million range per year. He suffered the sophomore slump last campaign, but is off to a solid start this campaign with two assists in two games. Staal is currently playing on the wing on Pittsburgh's second line, which should help his production if he remains there.

Rotoworld (http://rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NHL&id=2040)
I hope we can re-sign Jordan Staal. He won of my favorite players on the Penguins team.

SidTheKid
10-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Rotoworld (http://rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NHL&id=2040)
I hope we can re-sign Jordan Staal. He won of my favorite players on the Penguins team.

Agreed. I'll never forgive this team if they let a player like him leave.

jmiller26
10-13-2008, 08:40 PM
I, on the other hand, hope they trade Staal. In my opinion, he is nothing special, and does not deserve 5 mil a year. If somehow the pens could get gaborik, or bouwmeester (rumors are swirling about him on the insider on pittsburgh sports), I would get rid of Staal immediately.

ShaunRiching9
10-13-2008, 09:51 PM
^^ i agreeif we can get gaborik or bouwmeester i would for sure trade him

beantownboy
10-13-2008, 10:15 PM
well pittsburg wouldnt get gaborik or bouwmeester for just staal. and pittsburg cant keep dumping away players for one. they got rid of 3 solid players for hossa now they dont have those 3 solid players or hossa. you can't do the same again less then a year later. gaborik will be looking for 8 million a season and you cant have half your salary on 3 players (crosby, malkin, gaborik) or 90% percent of your salary on 6 players (crosby, malkin, gaborik, gonchar, whitney, fleury)

PittBeatWV
10-14-2008, 11:22 AM
I agree - Staal needs to move for the betterment of his career and for the betterment of the Penguins as a whole. He is simply buried behind Sid and Geno - and that is not going to change. He is going to command too much money for a 3rd line center, which he is... he is a better center than a wing.

As for the "3 solid players" argument... Christensen & Armstrong have 2 points between them and Esposito, while an excellent prospect is still an unknown commodity and again a CENTER. The deal for Hossa was a good one - we were 2 wins away from Lord Stanley and probably would not have been without him. (I wouldn't be surprised to Hossa back in Pittsburgh next season for a discount if he manages to win the Cup in Detroit this season.)

bartlett2266
10-14-2008, 03:48 PM
I dont want that bum hossa back not after he sold us out like that ******* him. and what if we traded staal for bouwmeester then trade ryan whitney (after hes back from injury) with others for a scoring winger

jmiller26
10-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Hossa will not come back, he stabbed shero in the back. As for Gaborik, i know you can't get him for just Staal. The pens could easily throw in a pick or two, and a prospect to get the deal done. Remember, the pens have depth in the minors; the baby pens made it to the finals last year.

bartlett2266
10-14-2008, 04:55 PM
^ that doesnt mean everything AHL has alot of 30 year olds who dominate the league but have no NHL value (Peter and Chris Ferraro) we cant afford to trade staal away for a rental if we trade him we have to lock up what ever comes back in return

Sbank
10-14-2008, 05:21 PM
I don't get why trade Staal. We can lock him up and he be cheap for us. Bringing a guy like Gaborik or Bouwmeester will only add to our cap space. I don't think we could lock one of those two in a trade even if we could. Staal off to a good start for us. I don't think trading him is worth it.

SidTheKid
10-14-2008, 05:27 PM
I don't get why trade Staal. We can lock him up and he be cheap for us. Bringing a guy like Gaborik or Bouwmeester will only add to our cap space. I don't think we could lock one of those two in a trade even if we could. Staal off to a good start for us. I don't think trading him is worth it.

Agree 100%

PittBeatWV
10-15-2008, 08:00 AM

I agree, they CANNOT trade for a rental. Why do you think that Staal is goign to be cheap??? He's going to get a big offer sheet after this season as a restricted free agent and after watching last night's game, I'm beginning to wonder if Jordan could hit water if he fell out of a boat! Where did his scoring touch go??? He HAS to bury that puck with a wide open cage.

jmiller26
10-15-2008, 04:14 PM
Staal is looking for 4-5 mil per season, and i wouldn't pay that kind of money to a great penalty killer.

ShaunRiching9
10-15-2008, 10:13 PM
who says he has to be traded for gaborik or bouwmeester sure those guys are being discussed but what if we could trade him for quality wingers or something or a cheap young rookie like Voracek im not sayin they should trade im just saying if the right offer came i wouldnt hesitate to trade him because as long as crosby malkin are infront of him hes a 3rd line centre, yeah sure he is doing his best to play wing but hes to good at center to and he will be held abck from his full potential but if we get a talented young guy who prefers the wing why not trade him?

Sbank
10-15-2008, 11:15 PM
who says he has to be traded for gaborik or bouwmeester sure those guys are being discussed but what if we could trade him for quality wingers or something or a cheap young rookie like Voracek im not sayin they should trade im just saying if the right offer came i wouldnt hesitate to trade him because as long as crosby malkin are infront of him hes a 3rd line centre, yeah sure he is doing his best to play wing but hes to good at center to and he will be held back from his full potential but if we get a talented young guy who prefers the wing why not trade him?

Maybe for a quality winger for him but it have to be a steal trade for us. I think trading Staal is just a bad idea. We all know Crosby gets hurt for a few games but bounces back. Staal is a real key guy for us. I think can fill the role when Crosby out pretty good. Sure if you can get like rookie like Voracek I think long and hard about the deal.

SidTheKid
10-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Maybe for a quality winger for him but it have to be a steal trade for us. I think trading Staal is just a bad idea. We all know Crosby gets hurt for a few games but bounces back. Staal is a real key guy for us. I think can fill the role when Crosby out pretty good. Sure if you can get like rookie like Voracek I think long and hard about the deal.

Agreed. If we can lock him up for a few years at a relatively cheap price we need to take advantage of that.

H-MYK
10-16-2008, 08:20 PM
The Pens would be foolish to trade Staal.

ShaunRiching9
10-16-2008, 09:25 PM
you cant have 3 franchise players on 1 franchise and malkin and Crosby are already locked up that leaves staal out.

SidTheKid
10-17-2008, 04:12 PM
you cant have 3 franchise players on 1 franchise and malkin and Crosby are already locked up that leaves staal out.

Why not?

jmiller26
10-17-2008, 04:18 PM
Staal is not a franchise player and will be lucky to score 15 goals this year. His stock will continue to fall, so they should trade him asap.

mike1od
10-17-2008, 04:50 PM
If there was ever a time, does anyone else agree with me that it's now?

We all know Staal is a center, not a wing, and as good as he CAN be, there are nights where we need those points out of a second line winger that were just not getting...

All in all with some of the wingers rumored to be on the "trading block", I think we have the depth internally to move Jordan, and use the 6 million or so he's going to command to sign role players like Talbot/Scuderi/Gill Etc.

I mentioned those role players for a reason, is anyone else noticing the void not having the Malones and Halls and Roberts has left us with in the young season. I do like how Godard has been playing, but I don't see Satan being what we need, and I don't see Fedotenko living up to the potential he could play at....

Also throw Sykora in there, who at 31 seems to be really on sometimes, and really off others....is he worth the probably 4-5 million he might ask for in a new deal after this season, I just don't see us getting him for any less than 3.75...

So with Satan and Fedotenko not living up to early expectations our first line is still in shambles, today it was announced Malkin is moving back up there...

Here's what i'm proposing, and remember this is all hypothetical....

With the rumors swirling earlier around Marian Gaborik, people became really excited...the fact is we saw just a sliver of what could be when a talented young winger with superstar potential played with Sidney, we came within one game of winning the cup...

Fact is Gaborik doesn't want to be in Minnesota, if he did he would have signed in the offseason while they were courting him so much, he wants to be on a contender and the Wild are a first round playoff team at best...

What about a sign and trade type scenario, as in we sign staal, they sign gaborik and being that marian is a little more highly touted we throw in another legit name and a draft pick...

I'm playing around with Staal/Satan/2nd or 3rd round pick, maybe even sydor in there also for Gaborik....now lets say that deal by some miracle goes through...what a break...

Personally I think Kennedy can and will be a second line winger, Talbot also fits that role...so let's play around...

If we acquired just Gaborik at the deadline....

Gaborik-Crosby-Dupuis

Sykora-Malkin-Kennedy/Talbot

Cooke-Talbot/Kennedy-Fedotenko

Godard-Zigomanis-Thomas/Bissonette

Honestly those lines, or something in that order might really flow....It just shows that trading staal doesn't leave this huge void for us right now...we have alot of depth. Top priority should be getting Sidney that winger he deserves, what we tried to do with Hossa.....

I just want to get thoughts/opinions, or other wingers/scenarios you could see working for the Guins....

Thanks!

Sbank
10-17-2008, 05:18 PM
Staal is not a franchise player and will be lucky to score 15 goals this year. His stock will continue to fall, so they should trade him asap.

I highly doubt that he will only score 15 goals. It's only been 4 games. Give the season time. I don't think selling him low now will be good.

ldarius21
10-18-2008, 09:57 AM
I think this all comes down to being able to sign him or not, from all the talk I have heard Staal may not want to be in Pittsburgh so this deal will or will not happen depending on us being able to sign him, if we are not able to strike a deal by the beginning of the year he is as good as gone and why not crunch some numbers on who we can or cant get and what deals would be devistating to our cap. If a deal is made for Gaborik it would have to be with a contract before the trade was made IMO. If we cannot lock him up then the discussion should be over at that point. We cannot continue to move players without keeping something in return and Shero knows that, Penguin fans will not be ok with us dealing away our Naslund's and Jagr's for nothing and we all know that. I like Staal and he is a great PK just needs to show what he did in his rookie season to earn a better paycheck.

SidTheKid
10-18-2008, 11:26 AM
I highly doubt that he will only score 15 goals. It's only been 4 games. Give the season time. I don't think selling him low now will be good.

Agreed. The team is starting out slow but that doesn't mean we need to trade everyone that has value.

PittBeatWV
10-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Mike1OD makes some great points. I think the point is trading value for value. This organization is too deep at center and not nearly deep enough at the wing hence the reason dealing Christensen and Esposito wasn't a big deal.

Yes, it is early in the season but Shero MUST make deals to improve this team... why not now??? Jordan will more than likely be a good player in this league - I'm just not sure it is going to happen here. The same thing happened with Naslund in the mid-90s. He was BURIED on this team... Lemieux, Jagr, Francis, Stevens, Robitaille... there was just no place for him to play so we dealt him... what we got in return was junk, but the idea of trading was correct. If Shero can combined the good idea of trading Staal with a quality return it should most definitely be done as soon as it is available.

Jordan is NOT a goal scorer, despite his numbers from his rookie season. Going back to juniors here are his numbers:

GP G A P
66 9 19 28 Peterborough
68 28 40 68 Peterborough
81 29 13 42 Pittsburgh
82 12 16 28 Pittsburgh

That's 70 pts in 163 NHL games