PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Prospect Cherapanov Dies During KHL Game

T.O.Bombinators
10-13-2008, 03:49 PM
New York Ranger prospect Alexei Cherepanov collapsed on the bench at or near the end of Omsk's Kontinental Hockey League game and died a short time later.

According to reports, medical personnel attempted to revive him.

No further details are available at this point.

"He was a great kid," Cherepanov's agent, Jay Grossman told TSN. "He had a great smile and was an outstanding player with a great future on and off the ice. It's both shocking and devestating news for all of us. "

Cherepanov was drafted by the Rangers in the 1st round, 17th overall, in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=252547&lid=headline&lpos=secStory_nhl

Ragun
10-13-2008, 03:59 PM
sad sad news.

RIP

King Henrik
10-13-2008, 04:05 PM
oh my. very sad news.

the kid had game. its unfortunate that we'll never get to see him bleed blue. RIP

jetsfan89
10-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Wow. Very sad news. RIP.

redwhiteandblue
10-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Unbelieveable. Horrible, tragic event... Very shocking... this happened to a guy on my mens league team, except we were able to revive him and keep him going until the ambulance got here. It's been one week since it's happened too... very eerie...

RIP Alexei

Davey24
10-13-2008, 04:28 PM
19 years old? That is just awful. From what I heard, this kid was a solid player. Wow, just shocked at that. So scary.

SLY WILLIAMS
10-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Alexei Cherepanov is dead at 19 (Updated)

October

The Rangers have confirmed an earlier report that Alexei Cherepanov, their first round draft pick from 2007, died in a game played this evening in Russia.

ďWe are extremely saddened by the tragic passing of Alexei,Ē Glen Sather said in a statement. ďOn behalf of the New York Rangers organization, I would like to extend our deepest sympathies to his family. Alexei was an intelligent, energetic young man, with tremendous talent and an extremely bright future.Ē

According to TSN, Cherepanov collapsed on the bench during the third period, but not as a result of a specific hit or play. The site quotes head coach Wayne Fleming as saying medical personnel tried to revive the player, but without success.

Cherepanov had seven goals and 12 points in 14 games this year for Omsk, where he was a teammate of Jaromir Jagr. The Russian wing was the 17th pick overall in the 2007 draft, although most scouting services had him rated much higher.

Although he had come to a Rangers prospect camp immediately following that draft, he never came back to New York. At the time the player expressed his desire to play in the NHL, but given the precarious relations between the NHL and the upstart Continental Hockey League, there were increasing questions about whether Cherepanov would ever play for the Rangers.

Still, this is a tragic blowóa devastating loss of an immense talent, and a player some saw as a significant part of the Rangers future.

Update, 4:22 p.m.: Spoke to Jay Grossman, Cherepanovís agent.

ďItís completely shocking, completely devastating,Ē Grossman said. ďThis 19 year old kid who was a great kid, he had a great smile and was a tremendously talented kid. Itís a situation that you canít even describe.Ē

According to Grossman, who spoke to people at the game, Cherepanov collapsed once on the ice, and collapsed again on the bench. I realize there have been reports that he collided with another play, but I havenít been able to confirm that, and Grossman knew nothing about it.

Finally, I asked Grossman about whether Cherepanov had any history of heart problems.

ďNot that we know of. He was here attending training camp two years ago there was no indication of this whatsoever.Ē

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2008/10/13/alexei-cherepanov-is-dead-at-19/

cubfan23
10-13-2008, 05:18 PM
wow I'm shocked. I mean they said he had better numbers than Ovechkin did when he was in that league....its crazy. RIP

BriereIsDaBest
10-13-2008, 05:20 PM
RIP Alexei... :(

B-West.Joba
10-13-2008, 05:22 PM
shocking, terribly sad news. i saw his name one espn and i expected it to have something to do with whether he would come over to the US next year. unfortunatly, i turned out to be wrong. turns out it was jagr that collided with, very eerie.

SLY WILLIAMS
10-13-2008, 05:23 PM
Ever since he was drafted many of us Ranger fans thought Slats got a major steal. He only dropped in the first round because he had a Russian contract. Slats had flown over to Russia like 4 different times to scout him before the draft. I hope his family is OK.

blueNorange
10-13-2008, 05:24 PM
sad news, way too young. :(

r.i.p.

B-West.Joba
10-13-2008, 06:09 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Report-Rangers-prospect-Cherepanov-dies-after-c?urn=nhl,114584

stuff on jagr, so sad

redline
10-13-2008, 06:18 PM
The whole thing with Jagr is very eerie. He was going to be a big part of the Rangers future, R.I.P. Alexei.

SidTheKid
10-13-2008, 07:23 PM
RIP Alexei :(

$KnicksAndKobe$
10-13-2008, 10:10 PM
19 is too young ) :

he was going to be a superstar

T.O.Bombinators
10-13-2008, 10:14 PM
jagrs playing their cuz of $$$$$

T.O.Bombinators
10-13-2008, 10:16 PM
good ol youtube..AC's last minutes here.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AsRGC1UCbE

and his last shift here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DTBe9jTqkE i dont know his number though

King Henrik
10-13-2008, 11:04 PM
Former Rangers captain Jaromir Jagr played a shift with Cherepanov and was talking to his young Avangard Omsk teammate on the bench shortly after they left the ice, when Cherepanov suddenly collapsed, said a Rangers spokesman who talked to Jagr.

There was no collision that preceded the collapse, the spokesman said, but few other details were available. Cherepanov scored the first goal of the game and had eight in 15 contests this season, his third with Avangard Omsk.

"It was really kind of a surreal thing for the players," Cherepanov's agent Jay Grossman said. "He was skating in on a 2-on-1 with Jaromir and then they came back to the bench. Jaromir was talking to him and he told him he has to score on that play. The next thing you know, he collapsed.

"(Jagr) went with him into the dressing room area and they revived him for some time and then he didn't make it."

Grossman said Cherepanov was eventually taken to the hospital, but he was unable to be saved.

"I don't know the specifics, but I've heard that there wasn't an ambulance there (at the arena), that it had left, and that there were problems with the defibrillator that they had there," Grossman said. "Other than that, no details. I don't know if that would've necessarily made a difference."

The Rangers announced the death of Cherepanov, and before they played New Jersey, a moment of silence was observed at Madison Square Garden as Cherepanov's picture was displayed in the midst of a black background on the center ice video board.
sportsline

Drucifer
10-14-2008, 12:04 AM
Sound like an aneurysm instead if a heart attack.

KniCks4LiFe
10-14-2008, 12:17 AM
R.I.P. Alexei :(

messleetch94
10-14-2008, 12:28 AM
This is just a terrible , sad thing. He had a bright future ahead of him. You are seeing this way too often , almost every couple of months. Whether it be high school players, college, or professionals. Things need to happen where precautions are met and mandated whether it be an ambulance or two, make sure defribulators are working. On you tube, it was like two minutes before they even moved him. It could be a matter of life and death. It's just a shame.

C-Rod
10-14-2008, 01:26 AM
Thier is nothing more "devastating" than this....l send my prayers and sympathies to Alexei's famliy...

nrmax88
10-14-2008, 02:12 AM
RIP kid. Our hearts go out to his family. He is a year younger then me. This could be me, you, or anybody we know. So sick.

viktor06
10-14-2008, 05:46 AM
Sad, sad news. I saw Jagr speak about it, he cried during the interview and said he thought he just fell asleep on the bench....

Rest in peace

messleetch94
10-14-2008, 08:30 AM
Jagr speaks to the Rangers frequently. He immediately called Jim Ramsey and the VP of public relations to inform them of what happened. He had told Tom Renney that this kid could play in the second line now, in the NHL. I'm sure som e of the kids in Hartford are devastated, as in Grachev, Anisimov. I'm sure they played together at some time. Once again, a very sad tradgedy.

SLY WILLIAMS
10-14-2008, 09:45 AM
It is very sad. Jagr is a good guy. I'm glad there was no collission so he doesnt have to think about that.

LT56
10-14-2008, 12:22 PM
:(very sad news, my heart goes out to his family and the NY rangers....:(

nyteamsports09
10-14-2008, 11:20 PM
Investigator: Hockey player had heart problems

By MIKE ECKEL,
Associated Press Writer

MOSCOW (AP) Alexei Cherepanov had heart problems and probably should not have been allowed to play in a game in which he collapsed and died, a regional investigator suggested Tuesday.

Yulia Zhukova said Cherepanov, who died Monday playing for Avangard Omsk in a Continental Hockey League game outside of Moscow, apparently had chronic ischemia - a medical condition when not enough blood gets to the heart or other organs.

"Checks will be conducted to clarify, in particular, why the sportsman with such an illness went onto the ice," Zhukova said.

Cherepanov's agent, however, said NHL tests showed him to be healthy.

A lawmaker suggested that the 19-year-old first-round draft pick for the New York Rangers may have died due to negligence on the part of paramedics.

Pavel Krasheninnikov, who sits on the Russian Hockey Federation's supervisory council and is a member of the State Duma, said there was no ambulance on duty at the Moscow region arena where Cherepanov was playing.

He also asserted emergency workers took too long to respond and didn't have a defibrillator - a medical machine that shocks the heart. It was unclear how much time it took paramedics to respond.

"There are elements of negligence here," Krasheninnikov said.

Vladimir Shalayev, the managing director for the newly formed Russian league, said a preliminary autopsy showed Cherepanov had a "hypertrophied heart."

"It has nothing to do with yesterday's game, there were absolutely no injuries," Shalayev said in televised comments. "He was not injured during this game."

Cherepanov's agent, Jay Grossman, said the player had tests at the NHL combine before last year's draft that didn't reveal any heart problems. He has been told that players in the Russian league receive regular heart and blood tests, similar to those given in the NHL.

The incident caught the attention of a high-level government meeting, chaired by President Dmitry Medvedev, to discuss how to revitalize Russia's deep sporting traditions.

"A person should not be allowed to take part in competition if he has ischemic heart disease," sports minister Vitaly Mutko said. "This means that in fact there is no preliminary health control and monitoring. And this system should be very well-defined."

Former Rangers captain Jaromir Jagr played a shift with Cherepanov and was talking to him on the bench shortly after they left the ice. Cherepanov then suddenly collapsed, according to a Rangers spokesman who talked to Jagr.

There was no collision that preceded the collapse, the spokesman said.

Amateur video taken at the match showed players and coaches gathered around the Avangard bench and then carrying a player who appeared to be Cherepanov.

Cherepanov scored the first goal Monday and had eight in 15 games this season, his third with Avangard Omsk.

"It was really kind of a surreal thing for the players," Grossman told The Associated Press. "He was skating in on a 2-on-1 with Jaromir and then they came back to the bench. Jaromir was talking to him and he told him he has to score on that play. The next thing you know, he collapsed.

"(Jagr) went with him into the dressing room area and they revived him for some time and then he didn't make it," he said.

Cherepanov was the 17th pick by the Rangers in the 2007 NHL draft. The talented forward dropped to a lower pick than expected because of concerns about his signability and the potential difficulty in getting him to leave Russia.

http://stats.sfgate.com/nhl/story.asp?i=20081014201500730000101

SLY WILLIAMS
10-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Jagr interview (translated so may not be exact)

Jagr spoke about what happened to Alexei Cherepanov with Czech and Russian reporters. Here is a translation of his interview as it appeared in iDnes thanks to DaTel, who said this was the most difficult translation he has ever done:

Q: Is it even possible to describe your feelings?
A: Itís extremely hard to talk about it. The shock is beyond inexpressible. I was close to Alexei. He was a huge hockey talent, a kid who worked hard all the time to become better.

Q: How did it happen?
A: Lyosha went off the ice, sat on the bench. And died. [Very long pause] We still donít understand it. Something had to be working improperly inside him. Otherwise, thereís no explanation.

Q: The word is that the medical care and equipment at the arena was vastly insufficient.
A: I canít comment on that. As far as I could see, the doctors did a good job. I canít blame anyone.

Q: The Russian media first reported that he died after a collision with you.
A: Nothing like that happened. I donít get where this came from. Probably, someone wanted to make the news interesting, so they put the name Jagr in the title.

Q: So it was a ruse?
A: It couldnít have even happened. I donít play on Lyoshaís line. Weíre both right wingers. Well, he was a right winger [pauses again]. Itís horrific. Terrible.

Q: Could the death of a friend take away the joy of playing hockey from you?
A: You know what? Ití a... [searching for words]... How to say this?... Itís not pleasant, thatís for sure. You keep remembering it. Again and again. Just hours ago, the kid sat next to you in the locker room, laughing, making jokes. And suddenly, heís not there.

Q: Is it possible to get over it?
A: Time will hopefully heal it. But I really donít know. Itís hard to say.

Q: Is this the worst thing ever to happen to you in hockey?
A: Most definitely yes. Besides, the older you get the more differently you take these things.

Q: What do you mean?
A: Well, I donít know whether I said it right. Itís hard to compare these experiences. I remember when I played in the Czech League for Kladno, we went to play in Zlin. It was their first home game after their defenseman Ludek Cajka died.

Q: That happened in 1990 [Cajka, a Ranger sixth round draft pick in 1987, hit a rut during a race for a puck, there was contact with the other player, he crashed head-first into the boards and later died].
A: Yes, exactly. But Cajkaís death was something totally different. He was rushing to touch up the icing and hit his head. Something happened, there was a visible reason.

Q: Which wasnít the case this time.
A: Right. I still canít get it through my head. Iím going to repeat myself but itís horrific. Beyond words.

http://www.blueshirtbulletin.com/2008/10/sabres-vs-strea.html