PDA

View Full Version : Boston Bruins Trade Andrew Alberts

Danman1116
10-13-2008, 02:44 PM
wow...thoughts?

http://bruins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=386358

Boston, MA - Boston Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli announced today that the club has traded defenseman Andrew Alberts to the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for forward Ned Lukacevic and a fourth round pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. The 2009 fourth round pick becomes a 2009 third round pick if the Flyers resign Alberts at the end of his contract which expires on June 30, 2009.

The 22-year-old Lukacevic played 61 games for Reading of the East Coast Hockey League and tallied 17 goals and 19 assists last year. In three-plus professional seasons split between Reading (ECHL) Manchester (American Hockey League) and Philadelphia (AHL), the 6-0, 200 pound Podgorica, Serbia native played in 126 games, recording 25-36-61 totals and 99 penalty minutes. Originally drafted in the fourth round (110th overall) in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft by the Los Angeles Kings, Lukacevic was dealt to the Flyers on June 30, 2008 along with Patrik Hersley in exchange for Denis Gauthier. He did not see any action in the first two games of the 2008-2009 season for the Philadelphia Phantoms (AHL).

Alberts played in 181 games for the Bruins during his three-plus years with the club, notching one goal, 18 assists and 231 penalty minutes. Drafted by the Bruins out of Boston College, Alberts was selected in the sixth round (179th overall) in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft. Last season, Alberts saw action in 32 regular season and 2 postseason contests and contributed two assists. He was a healthy scratch in the Bruins first two games of the 2008-2009 season.

Tomas Kaberle
10-13-2008, 03:16 PM
Love this deal for Boston. Alberts wasn't going to become anything better than a 6th defensemen on this team....Actually he's probably our 8th or 9th best right now (Chara, Ward, Wides, Ference, Hnidy, Lashoff, Hunwick, and Penner). I liked him, but he was overpaid for what he did. We get a nice pick in a great draft and a player who could strenghten our AHL team.

This is just a small saple of what is to come. I'd expect a big trade any day now (Gaborik, Kaberle)

The Intimidator
10-13-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm not sure whether or not I like this trade. I thought that Alberts would have had a great season last year if not for the dirty hit that he took, which kept him out for a long time. Call me crazy, but I think that he will be very missed by the end of the season.

Tomas Kaberle
10-13-2008, 04:30 PM
He's behind SHANE HNIDY on the depth chart...He's back there for a reason.

The Intimidator
10-13-2008, 04:35 PM
He's behind SHANE HNIDY on the depth chart...He's back there for a reason.

I think it was health related. There's no way that they thought Hnidy was a better overall defenseman than Alberts.

Tomas Kaberle
10-13-2008, 04:41 PM
Well they did. And I think they're right. Alberts coming in was a great story. Homegrown, BC kid, late round pick, but this was inevitable. After the hit you knew he wasn't going to be his old self. In pre-season he got outplayed by Mike Egener, and Ryan Stokes. It was apparent that he wasn't making any steps at getting better. I wish him the best once he gets out of Philly.

Another thing, he was a 7th rounder, gave us a few good years and we turned him into a 4th rounder in a draft where 4th rounders have 1st round talent. He wasn't going to re-sign here anyway as much as he loved it. He knew he was the odd man out with 2 up and comers in Lash/Hunwick.

beantownboy
10-13-2008, 09:19 PM
this trade is the beginning of a another trade. we have depth so why not trade and make room for an impact player. we did not need alberts since we have some defensemen just as good. I liked alberts too, my brother played against him 4 years in college, but remember the name of the game is making your team better. not bad we got a 4th round pick for someone who was watching games from his suit.

Shaiza
10-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Mixed reaction on this trade.
Alberts had no room for us obviously, however, I think we could've gotten more than Lukacevic. Anyway, the 4th rounder evens out everything.

And many of you are right. We are clearing up room so we can add a big name defenceman. It's laid out like that. Good for you guys to catch on that. Besides, I don't want any more of Hnidy.

Danman1116
10-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Mixed reaction on this trade.
Alberts had no room for us obviously, however, I think we could've gotten more than Lukacevic. Anyway, the 4th rounder evens out everything.

And many of you are right. We are clearing up room so we can add a big name defenceman. It's laid out like that. Good for you guys to catch on that. Besides, I don't want any more of Hnidy.
Any grumblings on what big name dman we might be going for?

Shaiza
10-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Any grumblings on what big name dman we might be going for?

Frantisek Kaberle
Joe Corvo
Kevin Bieksa
Mike Commodore

There are bigger names, but these are the legit ones. (others include Kubina, Ohlund, and ect.)

Rumors are swirling that we are in the Gaborik sweepstakes as well, if he doesn't accept the 80 million contract.

Danman1116
10-14-2008, 04:25 PM
Frantisek Kaberle
Joe Corvo
Kevin Bieksa
Mike Commodore

There are bigger names, but these are the legit ones. (others include Kubina, Ohlund, and ect.)

Rumors are swirling that we are in the Gaborik sweepstakes as well, if he doesn't accept the 80 million contract.

Ya, orignally they were talking Savard for Bieska which was outrageous. Not too familiar with him but those other guys would probably fit in pretty decently in the organization.

As for Gaborik, without a doubt he'd be a rental player b/c no way in heck we'd be able to afford him at the end of the season. I read somewhere that it was rumored he wanted 10 yr/$100 million which is a little far fetched if you ask me.

The Intimidator
10-14-2008, 05:29 PM
Ya, orignally they were talking Savard for Bieska which was outrageous. Not too familiar with him but those other guys would probably fit in pretty decently in the organization.

As for Gaborik, without a doubt he'd be a rental player b/c no way in heck we'd be able to afford him at the end of the season. I read somewhere that it was rumored he wanted 10 yr/$100 million which is a little far fetched if you ask me.

I don't think that a player can make 10 million per season...

mattybeingmatty
10-14-2008, 06:18 PM

i would take bieksa over those others for sure, but definitely not for savard. i would offer something like schaefer/axe+sobotka/noke, and maybe a pick that is not a first or second rounder.

beantownboy
10-14-2008, 08:46 PM
vancouver offered mats sundin two year 20 million and a one year 10 million. so i think you can make 10 million a year.

The Intimidator
10-14-2008, 11:39 PM
vancouver offered mats sundin two year 20 million and a one year 10 million. so i think you can make 10 million a year.

Alexander Ovechkin is the highest-paid player in the NHL, and he makes 9.5 million. I think that if a player could make 10 million a season, he would.

Shaiza
10-15-2008, 06:10 AM
The thing about Ovechkin's contract is, it is a long term contract. If it is a 2 year contract like Sundin's, and you have money to spend (Vancouver) then 10 million is pretty reasonable. I mean that team needs some offense.
The new salary cap era definitely won't bring Gaborik 10 million a year, however it will be very very close. Don't forget the B's are already eyeing Hossa and possibly a backup goaltender for Rask (Timmy might be going).

GoBruins17
10-15-2008, 01:12 PM
In terms of "making room for talent", let's talk exclusively about Hunwick and no more words on Lashoff. His clock is ticking fast. He seems to have made 0 progress and is busting by the second. He looked miserable is most of the preseason action.

The Intimidator
10-15-2008, 02:04 PM
In terms of "making room for talent", let's talk exclusively about Hunwick and no more words on Lashoff. His clock is ticking fast. He seems to have made 0 progress and is busting by the second. He looked miserable is most of the preseason action.

Hunwick was called up on Monday.

homie564
10-18-2008, 01:35 PM
u can make 10 mill per... vinny lecavlier accepted an extension for 10 mill per

The Intimidator
10-18-2008, 08:04 PM
u can make 10 mill per... vinny lecavlier accepted an extension for 10 mill per

Yeah, I guess I'm wrong. I was dead sure that when the lockout ended, one of the new rules was that players couldn't make more than 8 million dollars per season.

mattybeingmatty
10-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Yeah, I guess I'm wrong. I was dead sure that when the lockout ended, one of the new rules was that players couldn't make more than 8 million dollars per season.

the maximum salary a player can earn is based on the cap, which is based on revenue, which is up since the lockout ended. same reason a team can spend more now than they could at the beginning of this agreement.

The Intimidator
10-18-2008, 10:19 PM
the maximum salary a player can earn is based on the cap, which is based on revenue, which is up since the lockout ended. same reason a team can spend more now than they could at the beginning of this agreement.

Oh okay...so I'm a few years behind. :D