PDA

View Full Version : Which is tougher to do? Repeat as Champions or get back to Finals ...

JordansBulls
10-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Which is tougher to do?

#1) Repeat as Champions

or

#2) Get back to Finals when you lost the year before in them?

knicks1214
10-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Why is this a question...repeating is no doubt a lot harder.

lakers4sho
10-13-2008, 11:32 AM
Which is tougher to do?

#1) Repeat as Champions

or

didn't you ask this already like 10 years ago??

anyways, I think repeating as champions is harder...you have to win 4 more games...

_Sn1P3r_
10-13-2008, 12:38 PM
Repeating is harder. And yeah, I swear this question was asked. :confused:

mkool65
10-13-2008, 12:44 PM
I was gonna say that getting back is harder. If you win it you are the best team in the league, getting there means you are closer to the middle of the pack. I think Boston has a better shot at repeating than LA does of getting back, given the West is tougher but its jut my opinion.

Faneik
10-13-2008, 12:46 PM
I was gonna say that getting back is harder. If you win it you are the best team in the league, getting there means you are closer to the middle of the pack. I think Boston has a better shot at repeating than LA does of getting back, given the West is tougher but its jut my opinion.

Oh no! :speechless:

Why did you say that?

Now this is going to be another Bynum thread.

UofA
10-13-2008, 12:58 PM
Oh no! :speechless:

Why did you say that?

Now this is going to be another Bynum thread.

You know it was going to turn into that anyways

lakers4sho
10-13-2008, 01:36 PM
We all know that this thread was aimed to be another Boston-LA thread.

This thread = fail.

JordansBulls
10-13-2008, 02:02 PM
A poster elsewhere just came up with the analysis of how things have worked out for the past 20+ years.

Looking at the recent past:

Repeats:
Lakers in 2001 and 2002
Bulls in 92, 93, 97, 98
Rockets in 95
Pistons in 90
Lakers 88

Returnees:
Nets in 03
Jazz in 98
Pistons in 89
Celtics 86
Lakers 85
Sixers 83

Since 1980, there have been 9 repeats, and 6 returnees, so you would think a repeat is more likely 50% of the time.

lakers4sho
10-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Without the peats of the Lakers and Bulls, returning to the Finals has a 66% chance...

UofA
10-13-2008, 02:23 PM
I think it's harder to return, but I think the Lakers will be able to because of Kobe and Phil Jackson's leadership

Hawkeye15
10-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Seeing as Boston has an easier road to the finals, I think the Lakers will have a harder time getting there, than the Celtics winning it again. I doubt either happen, but the Celtics winning it seems more likely to me

Nexus
10-13-2008, 07:28 PM
This isn't specifically about LA and Boston. Most teams that lose in the finals don't have a center expected to get like 16/10 thrust into their line up the next year. Based on the stats, it looks like the second best team has a tougher time staying in the top two than the best team does staying the best.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
10-13-2008, 07:33 PM
#1) Repeat as Champions

cmellofan15
10-13-2008, 07:36 PM
How dare about the Lakers the have Bynum now so they're going to be the greatest team ever and I see six-peat in the future b/c Bynum is the greatest b/c he gained weight and trained w/ a great center and blah blah blah...

Just starting off the Bynum-ness

Hawkeye15
10-13-2008, 07:37 PM
This isn't specifically about LA and Boston. Most teams that lose in the finals don't have a center expected to get like 16/10 thrust into their line up the next year. Based on the stats, it looks like the second best team has a tougher time staying in the top two than the best team does staying the best.

stats are pretty, aren't they? That doesn't matter. In order to make the finals, many things need to go right, even things out of your control. The west is way tougher, hence, LA will have a harder time making it back. Sure, Philly, Toronto, they improved, and Cleveland and Detroit are still there, but they pose minimal threat to Boston, whereas, Houston, New Orleans, Utah, and San Antonio could take LA out anytime. Not saying it will happen, but there is a stronger chance of that happening. You made it about LA and BOston by bringing Bynum into it, so I did to.

Lakersfan2483
10-13-2008, 07:39 PM
Which is tougher to do?

#1) Repeat as Champions

or

Repeating as champs is tougher because everyone is looking for you to fail and wants to beat the champs.

clutchfan
10-13-2008, 07:40 PM
I

clutchfan
10-13-2008, 07:40 PM
I

Sox Appeal
10-13-2008, 07:45 PM
There's no question that repeating is tougher. Reason being, after some teams win a Championship they become less hungry or motivated to win it again. But if you would lose in the Finals, you usually come back the next season more motivated to win a Championship the next time around.

ARMIN12NBA
10-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Repeating as Champs.

clutchfan
10-13-2008, 07:46 PM
I heard Kobe is retiring after this:
http://i38.tinypic.com/11jrmed.jpg :clap::silly:

dre1990
10-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Repeat as Champions

Nexus
10-13-2008, 08:13 PM
stats are pretty, aren't they? That doesn't matter. In order to make the finals, many things need to go right, even things out of your control. The west is way tougher, hence, LA will have a harder time making it back. Sure, Philly, Toronto, they improved, and Cleveland and Detroit are still there, but they pose minimal threat to Boston, whereas, Houston, New Orleans, Utah, and San Antonio could take LA out anytime. Not saying it will happen, but there is a stronger chance of that happening. You made it about LA and BOston by bringing Bynum into it, so I did to.

Stats are the only empirical data we can use here. This forum would be pretty boring without them. I believe we signed the "anything can happen, even things out of your control" waiver when we registered for the forum.

LA may have a tougher time getting to the finals with a tougher conference. However, it's not who has a better chance of making it to the finals. It's: which is more likely, Boston winning it again or LA making it to the finals again. So whoever comes out of the west, Boston has to contend with as well.

Hawkeye15
10-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Stats are the only empirical data we can use here. This forum would be pretty boring without them. I believe we signed the "anything can happen, even things out of your control" waiver when we registered for the forum.

LA may have a tougher time getting to the finals with a tougher conference. However, it's not who has a better chance of making it to the finals. It's: which is more likely, Boston winning it again or LA making it to the finals again. So whoever comes out of the west, Boston has to contend with as well.

couldn't agree more. But I don't think LA will come out of the west. My opinion, of course.

JordansBulls
10-13-2008, 11:00 PM

Who did that to him?

lakers4sho
10-13-2008, 11:21 PM
Beno Udrih

LAKERS 24/7
10-14-2008, 02:52 AM
Yea that was embarrassing. He missed a dunk after too. :mad:

Lost Art
10-14-2008, 03:01 AM
A poster elsewhere just came up with the analysis of how things have worked out for the past 20+ years.

Teams who lose in the finals probably decide they need to make changes and make adjustments the following year and therefor are less likely to make it back to the finals.

Nexus
10-14-2008, 12:03 PM
couldn't agree more. But I don't think LA will come out of the west. My opinion, of course.

Were you think thinking someone specific in their place or just that the odds are stacked against them?

BkOriginalOne
10-14-2008, 03:03 PM
I'm sorry, this seems like a very silly question, no offesne.

But isn't it always harder to repeat then get back to the finals where your team lost. This differnce will always be, beating the team in the finals, which means getting the most wins in a sense.
The question is basically asking is it harder to be the number 1 team in you're conference or to be the best team in the league, correct me if im wrong:eyebrow:

MiamiHeat
10-14-2008, 03:06 PM

he's a grandpa now :)
hes like 30 years old now

MTar786
10-14-2008, 08:51 PM
How dare about the Lakers the have Bynum now so they're going to be the greatest team ever and I see six-peat in the future b/c Bynum is the greatest b/c he gained weight and trained w/ a great center and blah blah blah...

Just starting off the Bynum-ness

hmmm.. sorry dude.. it'l be hard for us to 6peat cuz our players will be older.. maybe 5peat? i mean... when houston is our 'competition' i dont see it being that hard for us to 5peat.. hahaha.. take ur sarcasm somewhere else plz

Hawkeye15
10-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Were you think thinking someone specific in their place or just that the odds are stacked against them?

Gut feeling. I think New Orleans or Houston comes out of the west. My opinion, of course. Laker fans will bash me for this, but whatever

Kabowdos
10-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Repeating as champions is not as hard because if you are the champion you are the best team in the league. Therefore, most likely the team that wins the championship is going to be the favorite for the next year as long as there are no major changes.

On the other hand, if you are a team that lost and trying to get you are obviously not the best team in the league. You have to GET BETTER.

Kabowdos
10-14-2008, 10:21 PM
Gut feeling. I think New Orleans or Houston comes out of the west. My opinion, of course. Laker fans will bash me for this, but whatever

They shouldn't bash you unless you were to say it is there is no way Lakers make it to the finals. That would idiotic of you to say especially without even watching a season game yet. I think the West is coming down to LA or HOU or NOH.

There is a lot to watch before I make my predictions.
No one knows what Houston is going to be like with the addition of Artest.
No one knows what Lakers are going to look like with Bynum back and bigger than ever.
It is early. Can CP3 play better than last year? If that is even possible. Too early.

Hawkeye15
10-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Repeating as champions is not as hard because if you are the champion you are the best team in the league. Therefore, most likely the team that wins the championship is going to be the favorite for the next year as long as there are no major changes.

On the other hand, if you are a team that lost and trying to get you are obviously not the best team in the league. You have to GET BETTER.

:clap:

Beno7500
10-14-2008, 10:34 PM
I don't know. I'm not in the NBA

Afridi786
10-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Repeat as champs.

SAVAGE CLAW
10-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Win the championship when you had the first pick the year before.

Win the title and be out of the playoffs the folowing season.