PDA

View Full Version : Bad times hit? NBA to lay off 80 workers.

fairandbalanced
10-13-2008, 07:58 AM
Ok, here is something I don't get. Why lay people off when you have folks like Blount getting over-paid? Itz time NBA players' salary is cut all around, they're making too much money anyways. Cut their salaries Stern, not your staff.

JordansBulls
10-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Ok, here is something I don't get. Why lay people off when you have folks like Blount getting over-paid? Itz time NBA players' salary is cut all around, they're making too much money anyways. Cut their salaries Stern, not your staff.

Totally agree. Why should scrubs or mediocore guys make 10+ million a year to come off the bench?

fairandbalanced
10-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Totally agree. Why should scrubs or mediocore guys make 10+ million a year to come off the bench?

Yea. Can you imagine a world with so many people in economic disaster, and Ben Gordon rejecting a $11 mill salary per year?

Max Power
10-13-2008, 11:19 AM
David Stern doesn't control what bad GMs are willing to pay players. He can only control the payroll of his staff, which he is doing.

Unless you want him to try to lower the cap. Like the union will let that happen.

barreleffact
10-13-2008, 11:39 PM
David Stern doesn't control what bad GMs are willing to pay players. He can only control the payroll of his staff, which he is doing.

Unless you want him to try to lower the cap. Like the union will let that happen.

Exactly. besides, this is entertainment. Who do people watch? the staff? get outta here. the players deserve their money and if a GM wants to overpay someone..w/e. players like the kobes and lebron deserve every penny and at the end of the day, you cant have ball w/o the stars and athletes in general. you can ALWAYS replace staff

SAVAGE CLAW
10-14-2008, 12:07 AM
^Im guessing you dont work yet or you wouldnt have such a point of view.

People is replaceable? yes, but firing someone is really Awfull, specially if you do it out of greed, like those Car Fabrics closing and relocating to China because its cheaper for them and leaving thousend of families without a pay to feed themselves.

Why? because if they stay in europe they WIN x ZILLIONs and if they move to chine they win X-ZILLIONS + some cents.

barreleffact
10-14-2008, 01:13 AM
^Im guessing you dont work yet or you wouldnt have such a point of view.

People is replaceable? yes, but firing someone is really Awfull, specially if you do it out of greed, like those Car Fabrics closing and relocating to China because its cheaper for them and leaving thousend of families without a pay to feed themselves.

Why? because if they stay in europe they WIN x ZILLIONs and if they move to chine they win X-ZILLIONS + some cents.

by work im assuming you mean career? I have a job. jobs suck. jobs are horrible but we all know this. Yes, for the 80 people who lost their career or jobs I feel sorry for them. it is terrible for them and the economy is so horrible even dumb jobs can be hard to come by.

with that being said, I look at this as a realist. you can survive w/o a lot of staff. you cant survive w/o the players. they are the most necessary part to the league. to cut their salaries would be rediculous when you already have statements that the players want the cap gone, or when other countries may offer them more money. Looking at the bigger picture, to me cutting 80 staff members is far more expendable than cutting player salaries. Does anyone even know what type of employees got fired? staff could be anybody.

Also, outsourcing sucks for domestic workers. It limits us, but from a companies standopint, they save billions as a whole. I mean pay X amount of people 8-12 dollars or pay some Indian laborers 5 or even less. Seems like a no brainer when most consumers couldnt care less where a product is from as long as it looks ok when they buy it. It makes for bad customer service tho as far as telemarketers but i digress. they save millions yearly by outsourcing.

jetsfan28
10-14-2008, 01:16 AM

Because that would make the teams money, not the league.

SAVAGE CLAW
10-14-2008, 01:59 AM
Outsorcing could be avoided if people was aware enough of it, and they took actual measures.
Like, ok Company X goes to china to produce his Product Y? ok NOBODY buys product Y from Company X.

Let them do the math.

ANyway back on topic, you know that by just Cutting Smush parkers salary you could probably pay those 88 people salaries.

barreleffact
10-14-2008, 03:30 AM
Outsorcing could be avoided if people was aware enough of it, and they took actual measures.
Like, ok Company X goes to china to produce his Product Y? ok NOBODY buys product Y from Company X.

Let them do the math.

ANyway back on topic, you know that by just Cutting Smush parkers salary you could probably pay those 88 people salaries.

As far as the outsourcing goes, nobody would care honestly. People buy what they need or are in the mood for regardless of morals. If it'll save time, we get it. I hate how Mcdonalds is so money hungry and is always raising prices for such poor quality food and bad service, but they are quick and convenient so Ima buy Mcdonalds. same thing.

Anyway, does anyone know who's jobs got cut? from what I cant tell, the jobs probably werent careers. The only thing I read correlated the declining economy with less ticket sales and then spoke of a staff cut. To me that says the only people losing their jobs work in th arenas and dont make too incredible amounts anyway. a JOB can be replaced. sucks if Careers were lost tho. but still, ball is smush parkers career. Why lessen his money? No matter how you look at it, you cant do anything to upset the players. You can sustain with minimal staff, but if the players strike or something, then nobody gets paid. lesser of 2 evils i think.

Plus, I think every athlete is getting exactly what he deserves if not less. They are constantly in the faces of the media and are always getting critiqued but rarely get the respect they deserve. they work damned hard to the point that most just dont understand. there is a lot of work outside that they do to sustain the finished product we see. plus the player salaries are probably in total around 10-30% at best of all the money generated. To suggest that the players make ALL the money for you and then dont even recieve much(for most) and then to say cut what they already get, it just wouldnt be right and would cause a LOT of controversy from the players and their union