PDA

View Full Version : 2009 NBA MVP Candidates.

BkOriginalOne
10-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Who do you guys think will win it this year?

1. Chris Paul - certainly seemed like he was going to get it last year, slipped right through his grip late last season. With the addition of posey and the confidence that comes with winning a gold medal, what's to stop him from making that push?

2. Kobe Byrant - Will Kobe do the unthinkable and repeat? Remains to be seen. The lakers do look better with Bynum at Center and Gasol at the 4, but where does that leave Odom. Despite these questions Kobe whould flourish with the extra help. But does this extra help lessen his chances of getting the trophy again?

3. Kevin Garnett - Leading the charge for the best team in the NBA would certainly have you're name on this list.

4. Yao Ming/Tracy Mcgrady - I have them both here because it really depends who emerges mid season as the leader of this team. Whose going to be making the tough plays? Hitting the big shots? Really shouldering the team? The Rockets are sure to be a plus 53 win team and get out of the first round (assuming they stay healthy).

5. Elton Brand. The sixers will improve greatly on defense. Brand, offensively give the sixer the post player they need to complete their offense. The sixers are sure to add at least 10 wins from their respectable 40-42 run last season. Someone is going to deserve the credit.

6. Carmelo Anthony. I know, I know you guys don't think that the nuggets will even make the playoffs. But i've been watching them, we're going to suprise the league this year. We're going to be better offensively and defensively! Fair statment: IF the nuggets win the NW division (better record then the Jazz which we were 5 games behind last season) then won't melo be MVP candidate material?

7. Tim Duncan. Yeah.

8. Lebron James. With the cavs to be more offensively charged up (but probably not better overall) Lebron is making a run this season. I think he can win it if it appears that he is going to take them to the finals.

9. Wade. Statemen year for sure. Beasely and marion also have alot to prove at this point in their respective carreer. I see the east getting the 7th seed.

10. Dwight Howard - With his numbers he is going to be in the top 5 for years to come.

jimbobjarree
10-12-2008, 11:28 AM
deron will be top 5 at least...maybe even in conversation for winning it

Famous03
10-12-2008, 11:37 AM

1. Chris Paul - certainly seemed like he was going to get it last year, slipped right through his grip late last season. With the addition of posey and the confidence that comes with winning a gold medal, what's to stop him from making that push?

2. Kobe Byrant - Will Kobe do the unthinkable and repeat? Remains to be seen. The lakers do look better with Bynum at Center and Gasol at the 4, but where does that leave Odom. Despite these questions Kobe whould flourish with the extra help. But does this extra help lessen his chances of getting the trophy again?

3. Kevin Garnett - Leading the charge for the best team in the NBA would certainly have you're name on this list.

4. Yao Ming/Tracy Mcgrady - I have them both here because it really depends who emerges mid season as the leader of this team. Whose going to be making the tough plays? Hitting the big shots? Really shouldering the team? The Rockets are sure to be a plus 53 win team and get out of the first round (assuming they stay healthy).

5. Elton Brand. The sixers will improve greatly on defense. Brand, offensively give the sixer the post player they need to complete their offense. The sixers are sure to add at least 10 wins from their respectable 40-42 run last season. Someone is going to deserve the credit.

6. Carmelo Anthony. I know, I know you guys don't think that the nuggets will even make the playoffs. But i've been watching them, we're going to suprise the league this year. We're going to be better offensively and defensively! Fair statment: IF the nuggets win the NW division (better record then the Jazz which we were 5 games behind last season) then won't melo be MVP candidate material?

7. Tim Duncan. Yeah.

8. Lebron James. With the cavs to be more offensively charged up (but probably not better overall) Lebron is making a run this season. I think he can win it if it appears that he is going to take them to the finals.

9. Wade. Statemen year for sure. Beasely and marion also have alot to prove at this point in their respective carreer. I see the east getting the 7th seed.

10. Dwight Howard - With his numbers he is going to be in the top 5 for years to come.

The ones in bold are the ones who are going to be up for MVP this year in my opinion. But out of all of them i do think that CP3 will come out on top.

MiamiHeat
10-12-2008, 12:25 PM
I think Wade will have an amazing season, he's still trying to prove the doubters that he is back. So I can't wait until the season starts :D

Raps18-19 Champ
10-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Why Brand?

I know he will help improve Sixers record by 5-15 games but I wouldn't consider him in front of Deron Williams, Amare Stoudimire, etc.

Those guys would have a better season than Brand and their team would have better records.

I dont know bout Melo either

I know you just wanna vote for him cuz he's on your team but the truth is, that nuggets wont make the playoff

jimbobjarree
10-12-2008, 12:49 PM
yeah fat chance you'll finnish in front of the Blazers let alone the Jazz.

looks like it will be Jazz V Blazers for the NW for the next however many years while you get your act together

LayZbone
10-12-2008, 01:03 PM
I think it'll be either Lebron, Paul or Wade.

23LBJCleBrowns
10-12-2008, 01:05 PM
WTF?????!?!?!?!?!?!? LeBRON 8th?!??!?!! HE WILL BE NUMBER 1. Your probably just a hornets fan who wants Chris Paul.

MiamiHeat
10-12-2008, 01:06 PM
WTF?????!?!?!?!?!?!? LeBRON 8th?!??!?!! HE WILL BE NUMBER 1. Your probably just a hornets fan who wants Chris Paul.

:pity:
and your a Cavaliers fan that want Lebron to win.

Storch
10-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Chris Paul or Lebron James are gona win it this year.

BkOriginalOne
10-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Why Brand?

I know he will help improve Sixers record by 5-15 games but I wouldn't consider him in front of Deron Williams, Amare Stoudimire, etc.

Those guys would have a better season than Brand and their team would have better records.

I dont know bout Melo either

I know you just wanna vote for him cuz he's on your team but the truth is, that nuggets wont make the playoff

Brand because he is probably going to get 23-24ppg, 10-11rpg, 2-3 apg, 2 block, and a steal and a half. The sixers will improve from 40-42 to about 52-30, he might also be their only all star, unless igoudala becomes caron butler. I think Brand has the edge over Amare because brand is not playing with former MVPs, Finals MVPs, Former All star/All NBA players, with championship rings and much playoff/finals experience All categories that steve nash, shaq, grant hill, raja bell can fall into.
Watch: Nash> Miller
Shaq> Sam
Raja Bell> Willie Green
Heck, Amare> Brand.

But we'll see whose team plays better and gets deepest into the playoffs.

Melo deserves attention if the nuggets win the NW dvision and he becomes the true team leader of the team on both ends of the court. Wouldn't hurt and gets numbers like 25ppg 8rpg 4apg, over a block and a steal. Which is only a slight improvement.

SUNDUNDIDIT
10-12-2008, 02:04 PM
yeah fat chance you'll finnish in front of the Blazers let alone the Jazz.

looks like it will be Jazz V Blazers for the NW for the next however many years while you get your act together

How is it a fat chance, when we have finished in front of the blazers the last 4 years????? And since we are better then we've ever been this decade???

IversonIsKrazy
10-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Either one of these.

CP3
LeBron
Kobe
D12

JordansBulls
10-12-2008, 02:13 PM
CP3 or Lebron

BALLER71
10-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Elton Brand?
WTF...

Lebron 8th? Can you be a little less biased..

BK-TY
10-12-2008, 02:15 PM
If not David Lee then Lebron. :D

rick66ankiel24
10-12-2008, 02:24 PM
I think Wade will have an amazing season, he's still trying to prove the doubters that he is back. So I can't wait until the season starts :D

yea my heart says wade but i bet its going to be chris paul or lebron, lebrons numbers will be crazy good again cuz hes going to be carrying the scoring load for the cavs, while wade has marion and beasley to lessen his load

torontosports10
10-12-2008, 02:26 PM
:pity:
and your a Cavaliers fan that want Lebron to win.

And your a Heat fan who wants Wade to win it.

Everyone would want their fav player on their fav team to win. I want Bosh to win but know it not gonna happen.

Kobe,Lebron,CP3,Garnett and Wade if healthy are my main choices

Lakersfan2483
10-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Kobe or CP3 will win it this year.

Top Candidates:

Kobe
Lebron
CP3
D. Howard
T-Mac
D. Will
KG

MTar786
10-12-2008, 03:22 PM
either lebron,kobe,wade,paul or d12

but see, i'd love wade to win it. i feel he's so much better than people remember but the heat wont win 50 games so mark him off this year. hopefully he gets the scoring title atleast. then there d12 who i think the same of.. magic might get 50 but in a weak east that wont prove much. its either between paul kobe or james

MTar786
10-12-2008, 03:23 PM
oh ya n i forgot.. either tmac or yao too

NYMetros
10-12-2008, 03:25 PM
I'll go with Paul Pierce. The captain of the best team in the NBA.

ARMIN12NBA
10-12-2008, 03:31 PM
CP3 or Kobe Bryant.

Wilson
10-12-2008, 03:31 PM
Why is everyone complaining about the order of the list? The OP didn't say that the players were in order of their chances to win.

I think LeBron will be the rightful winner, but since it seems to be 'the best player on the best team award' now, Chris Paul or Kobe Bryant will probably win it.

kobynum2417
10-12-2008, 03:39 PM
who do you think?? kobe!

JOSETHEALLSTAR
10-12-2008, 04:05 PM
tmac

Vinny642
10-12-2008, 04:24 PM

Lebron Top 5 IMO with Wade, Kobe, Dwight(maybe), Cp3 and him.
But im that Hornets fan saying that Cp3 gonna win it

goku
10-12-2008, 04:55 PM
mike james

CHRISDODGERS
10-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Lebron..... CP3 2nd..... Kobe 3rd....

theanswer418
10-12-2008, 07:32 PM
Brand because he is probably going to get 23-24ppg, 10-11rpg, 2-3 apg, 2 block, and a steal and a half. The sixers will improve from 40-42 to about 52-30, he might also be their only all star, unless igoudala becomes caron butler. I think Brand has the edge over Amare because brand is not playing with former MVPs, Finals MVPs, Former All star/All NBA players, with championship rings and much playoff/finals experience All categories that steve nash, shaq, grant hill, raja bell can fall into.
Watch: Nash> Miller
Shaq> Sam
Raja Bell> Willie Green
Heck, Amare> Brand.

But we'll see whose team plays better and gets deepest into the playoffs.

Melo deserves attention if the nuggets win the NW dvision and he becomes the true team leader of the team on both ends of the court. Wouldn't hurt and gets numbers like 25ppg 8rpg 4apg, over a block and a steal. Which is only a slight improvement.

shaq>sam?... he definately is in his prime but now shaqs just washed up dalembert has to be the better player

Bishnoff
10-12-2008, 07:57 PM
LOL! You put Brand @ 5 and no mention of Stoudemire or Bosh - 2 PFs who get way more MVP votes than Brand.

dre1990
10-12-2008, 08:00 PM
i think Carlos Boozer has a chance, maybe even Brandon Roy, those are 2 who arent on that list that i think have a chance

Wilson
10-12-2008, 08:06 PM
i think Carlos Boozer has a chance, maybe even Brandon Roy, those are 2 who arent on that list that i think have a chance

He'd have to have a really great year to get mentioned before Deron Williams, IMO.

Cavs_Fan24
10-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Elton Brand should definitely not be that high, and IMO Yao and T-Mac wont even be in the conversation for MVP. Idc how much better their teams gotten with Artest, i dont think they'll be MVP players because they're frequently injured and that wont change this year.

dre1990
10-12-2008, 08:18 PM
He'd have to have a really great year to get mentioned before Deron Williams, IMO.

i know but IMO, he's been the MVP fo the Jazz the past 2 years, not Williams

johnnylee722
10-12-2008, 08:26 PM
My guess is Lebron or Kobe.
Both ridiculous good players that carry their teams and do a little bit of everything.

23LBJCleBrowns
10-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Its between CP3 and LeBron. IMO LeBron will win it.

kobe24>jordan23
10-12-2008, 08:38 PM
kobe will repeat you can quote me on that if u want

theimortalone
10-12-2008, 08:52 PM

7. Tim Duncan. Yeah.

Are you ****ing kidding me? Why is Amare Stoudemire not in the top 10? He was a top 5 last year. Wow.... Horrible ratings. And where the hell is Kobe Bryant? He was the Leagues MVP last year. He is easily in the top 3.

theimortalone
10-12-2008, 08:54 PM

Is that so???? Are you that confident? Then again this quote is coming from someone who says Kobe24 is better then the greatest player of all time MJ.

UofA
10-12-2008, 09:52 PM
It's Kobe or CP3 if either one of their teams take the west but if not I think KG or Lebron will grab it

Epic89
10-12-2008, 09:57 PM
Cp3

LayZbone
10-12-2008, 10:31 PM

lol no need. your name tells us that kobe will win at least 3 more rings and 4 more season MVPs. we can pretty much pencil in your vote for the next 5 years.

theimortalone
10-12-2008, 10:33 PM
lol no need. your name tells us that kobe will win at least 3 more rings and 4 more season MVPs. we can pretty much pencil in your vote for the next 5 years.

lol very true, its probably true man. haha :D

Iodine
10-12-2008, 10:38 PM
If Deshawn stevenson does not win I am ***** slapping david stern

pete_one
10-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Chris Paul, hes going to take the Hornets upon his back again. Kobe won't have to be as valuable to the Lakers with the addition of Bynum and Gasol working together, same goes to Yao and T-Mac, as Artest will relieve the pressure of scoring and D.

kurtismurray
10-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Deron Williams

Lebron23
10-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Just 50 plus wins with a Great Stats LeBron should win the MVP Award.

marques724
10-12-2008, 11:30 PM
1. CP3
2. Lebron
3. Kobe
4. KG
5. D-12

Kobe won't repeat unless the lakers win 70 games because they are stacked. I think the CP3 narrowly beats Lebron due being in the tougher conference

SwaggaIke
10-12-2008, 11:34 PM
Wade, Kobe and LeBron in no particular order.

_Supreme_
10-12-2008, 11:34 PM
The reason Kobe won last year was because he "was due".

Now that this political reasoning is out of the way the award can go to an actual deserving candidate like CP3 (who should have won last year) or Lebron James.

TMAC94
10-12-2008, 11:56 PM
heres my top 5 that have a chance ( no order ) and their stats;

Chris Paul: 21 points 13 assits 3 rebounds 3 steals .1 block
LeBron James: 28 points 5 assits 6 rebounds .5 steals .8 block
Kobe Bryant: 29 points 4 assits 6 rebounds 1 steal 1 block
Tracy McGrady: 24 points 8 assits 6 rebounds 1 steal 1.5 block
Dwanye Wade: 26 points 6 assits 4 rebounds 2.5 steals 1 block

knicks1214
10-12-2008, 11:57 PM
Lebron, Paul, Wade (if healthy), T-Mac and maybe Brand. I don't see KG winning it, but I think Brand going to Philly will be huge for them and will make them a much better team.

SwaggaIke
10-13-2008, 12:04 AM
I doubt Paul gets it this year. The surprise factor of how well N.O played last year plus Paul's great play propelled him into MVP talks last year. I do think he'll be in the top names once again, but I don't think he wins it.

Bruno
10-13-2008, 05:32 AM
If the Lakers put up 65+ wins Kobe will get it. He will put up at least 25-5-5 for the season. Those stats plus 65 wins gets the MVP. Kobe won't get it if the Hornets place above the Lakers in the standings, and Paul wont get it if the Lakers finish higher.

LeBron will get it over both of them if neither the Lakers or Hornets get 60 wins, and he puts up a huge stat line of 31-8-8 for the season. For him to be MVP the Cavs have to put up at least 50 wins, and a top 3 in the east.

amare#1
10-13-2008, 06:54 AM
Both Amare Stoudemire and Deron Williams should be in the top 10 over Elton Brand and Carmelo Anthony.

Wilson
10-13-2008, 12:48 PM
The reason Kobe won last year was because he "was due".

Now that this political reasoning is out of the way the award can go to an actual deserving candidate like CP3 (who should have won last year) or Lebron James.

Kobe and Paul were both in pretty similar situations last year, they were both the best player on very good teams, they both had a lot of help, so I don't think you can say that Paul really deserved it that much more than Kobe did...

Faneik
10-13-2008, 12:50 PM
If the MVP wasn't the best player on a top 4 team it would be Lebron James.

Since is not, my picks are:

1. Chris Paul
2. T-Mac
3. Garnett
4. Kobe

Jahari Kavi
10-13-2008, 01:04 PM
I'm thinking Bron, Paul, Wade, Kobe or Ron this season........

ShaunRiching9
10-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Brand will not make a run for mvp, lebron should be higher, smae with dwight, d-will should be on there,

Da_Great_White
10-13-2008, 01:21 PM
kobe, enuf said

hockeypro68
10-13-2008, 01:34 PM
HAHAHAHAHA at everyone who included Elton Brand in MVP discussions. People never cease to amaze me.

BkOriginalOne
10-13-2008, 01:41 PM
My list, is NOT a top 10. It's not even listed in any particular order, I was just naming people. Sorry for the all the confusion.
However, I do think that Amare will not be higher on this year's list then brand. Brand will have a bigger impact on the sixers this season, then Amare will have on his team this year.

My list is of merely potential players, so obviously leaving out guys like, D will, Bosh, Dirk? Nash, Amare regulars in the discussion. Thats why I was so bland mentioning Tim Duncan.

I think this year, it depends on Team success.
Kobe won't repeat because the public won't allow it, haha. He also has a better team this year.
I think if the hornets look like they can take the west it will CP3.
If Lebron can get the Cavs past the C's. He should get it. Lebron is also young, and will always be in the discussion (so he may not get it right now).

I do think that with the Sixers success.. brand would be a respectable mention and will be somewhere in the TOP 8 candidates.

still1ballin
10-13-2008, 01:44 PM
Who ever has the top seed in the west or east, the best player on that team will win it.

DreamShaker
10-13-2008, 02:04 PM
In no order....

Duncan
Kobe
Deron Williams
Chris Paul
KG
Lebron
Yao/T-Mac
Howard
Dirk
Wade

BoltLakerPadre
10-13-2008, 02:07 PM
I wouldn't have Brand, Anthony, or Garrnet on that list, and I'd move Lebron way up. The rest looks good. And depending on the way the Jazz play as a whole, I would consider Deron Williams.

STAT OWNS
10-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Stoudamire is going to win MVP

cubbybear2290
10-13-2008, 02:21 PM
CMON guys no Joakim Noah LOL, what about BG7, or hell why not just give it Derrick Rose right now LOL yes im a bears fan.

Hawkeye15
10-13-2008, 07:39 PM
It's LeBrons to lose if his team wins 52+, otherwise, Paul. Wade's team won't be good enough, and as everyone knows, if you don't have a top 3-4 team, you better average 70-12-12 to get it.

Vinny642
10-13-2008, 07:55 PM
it's lebrons to lose if his team wins 52+, otherwise, paul. Wade's team won't be good enough, and as everyone knows, if you don't have a top 3-4 team, you better average 70-12-12 to get it.

lol 72-12-12

WntAbCEO
10-13-2008, 07:59 PM
LBJ, LBJ, LBJ, Lebron, LBJ, LBJ, LBJ

maybe CP3

Lakersfan2483
10-13-2008, 08:14 PM
In no order....

Duncan
Kobe
Deron Williams
Chris Paul
KG
Lebron
Yao/T-Mac
Howard
Dirk
Wade

I like the new pic. I would agree with your list. My top 5 candidates: Kobe, CP3, Lebron, Howard, D. Wade, maybe KG (he would be no. 6 on my list)

TMAC94
10-13-2008, 08:24 PM
what about tmacs chances?

Vinny642
10-13-2008, 08:32 PM
tmac has like a 50% chance of staying healthy, and a 22% chance of making MVP talk IMO

kobe24>jordan23
10-13-2008, 08:51 PM
theimortalone

"Is that so???? Are you that confident? Then again this quote is coming from someone who says Kobe24 is better then the greatest player of all time MJ."

yes i do think kobe is the G.O.A.T is there anything wrong with that....

LayZbone

"lol no need. your name tells us that kobe will win at least 3 more rings and 4 more season MVPs. we can pretty much pencil in your vote for the next 5 years."

and as 4 u layZbone yes i do think Kobe will win three more rings maybe even more! but for the MVP's i don't think he will or actually can win 4 more but i do think he will or can win 1 or 2 more!!

cmellofan15
10-13-2008, 08:54 PM
^ lol :laugh:

cmellofan15
10-13-2008, 09:08 PM
theimortalone

"Is that so???? Are you that confident? Then again this quote is coming from someone who says Kobe24 is better then the greatest player of all time MJ."

yes i do think kobe is the G.O.A.T is there anything wrong with that....

LayZbone

"lol no need. your name tells us that kobe will win at least 3 more rings and 4 more season MVPs. we can pretty much pencil in your vote for the next 5 years."

and as 4 u layZbone yes i do think Kobe will win three more rings maybe even more! but for the MVP's i don't think he will or actually can win 4 more but i do think he will or can win 1 or 2 more!!

Yea some might think you're mentally ill.

Kobe has broken these records

Most free throws made - 51 by Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers (vs. Sacramento Kings), 2001 (CHEATED)

15,000 Points - Kobe Bryant (27 Years, 136 days)
20,000 Points - Kobe Bryant (29 Years, 122 days)

Youngest Slam Dunk Champion (All-Star weekend)
Kobe Bryant (18 years, 175 days)

That's it 3 records with out a referee's help (one doesn't prove anything). He's not even proven to be the best in the league, and career wise Tim Duncan and Shaq (active players) are better than him. He's not top 15 All-Time, not top 3 at SG, arguably not the best right now...

GCOOKIE7
10-13-2008, 09:35 PM
Lebron will get it.
ppl thought Kobe deserved it 2 years ago so he got it this year.
Lebron deserved it this year so he will get it next year.
And if Brand is up there so should Bosh. Bosh is being quite the leader this year.

bogdanrom
10-13-2008, 09:53 PM
MVP Candidates
1. Chris Paul
2. Lebron James
3. Kevin Garnett
4. Kobe Bryant
5. Dwyane Wade
6. Amare Stoudemire
7. Tim Duncan
8. Tracy McGrady(if healthy)
9. Dwight Howard
10. Deron Williams

tru
10-13-2008, 10:31 PM
THANK GOD they banned this character..........ELTON BRAND at 5????LOL
Lebron at 8?????? this guy must be on some good stuff but um my top 3 picks would have to be

LEBRON,CP3, or Dwight Howard in no particular order....I would say Kobe but he has too much help now(Bynum,Odom,Gasol)

tru
10-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Lebron will get it.
ppl thought Kobe deserved it 2 years ago so he got it this year.
Lebron deserved it this year so he will get it next year.
And if Brand is up there so should Bosh. Bosh is being quite the leader this year.

Bosh??? not with jermain o'neal in town...sorry...and you NEED to change your picture before you get banned