PDA

View Full Version : Which of these players would you Build Around

SAVAGE CLAW
10-11-2008, 01:07 AM
Ok, everybody would want to build around MIng or Paul or Lebron or KObe.

But if you had to build around a "second tier" who would you Choose for it?

Igoudala

Eddie Curry

Devin Harris

Jose Calderon

Caron Butler

Emeka Okafor

Shawn Marion

Rashard Lewis

Marvin Williams

Rajon Rondo

Prince

Hinrich

Redd

Ilgauskas

Dunleavy

Josh Howard

Ginobili

Battier

West

Conley

Pau

Kaman

Diaw

Harrington

Kevin Martin

Aldrige

Foye

Green

Jr Smith

Boozer.

DODGERS&LAKERS
10-11-2008, 01:10 AM
If I had to build a team around one of those players as my main guy, I would sell the team

stawka
10-11-2008, 01:13 AM
Either Iggy or Okafor for me. Iggy's versatile and can really play at times, while Okafor can be a beast inside... and he's a big man

DwAyNe_WaDe
10-11-2008, 01:15 AM
If I had to build a team around one of those players as my main guy, I would sell the team

Why their is great players on that list. In my opinion I would take Calderon because it is easy for a team to build around a great PG. Or I would take Ginobili just because he is proven veteran.

theimortalone
10-11-2008, 01:21 AM
Iggy of course!

Vinny642
10-11-2008, 01:23 AM
chris paul

Kyben36
Probably Boozer. A big is easier to build around then a Small. however, Iggy is right there.

DODGERS&LAKERS
Why their is great players on that list. In my opinion I would take Calderon because it is easy for a team to build around a great PG. Or I would take Ginobili just because he is proven veteran.

They are nice players. But in the NBA, you need stars to win. The 2004 Pistons are the only team to win a ring with no bonafied star on thier team. But they did have 4 very good players.

But I dont think anyone on that list would be able to win a championship with them as the focal point of the team. The only player on the list that has had a team built around him is Pau. But we all seen how that worked out for the Grizz. TheY were bottom feeders in the league the past couple of years and were forced to trade him for 2 Kit kats and a Almond Joy.

I would rather skip those players on the list and start with a horrible team to get a good draft pick for the next 3 years. Kind of like the Blazers.

DwAyNe_WaDe
10-11-2008, 01:29 AM
They are nice players. But in the NBA, you need stars to win. The 2004 Pistons are the only team to win a ring with no bonafied star on thier team. But they did have 4 very good players.

But I dont think anyone on that list would be able to win a championship with them as the focal point of the team. The only player on the list that has had a team built around him is Pau. But we all seen how that worked out for the Grizz. TheY were bottom feeders in the league the past couple of years and were forced to trade him for 2 Kit kats and a Almond Joy.

I would rather skip those players on the list and start with a horrible team to get a good draft pick for the next 3 years. Kind of like the Blazers.

I agree that none of these players should be your main focal point on offense but, he is asking which player out of those players would you pick.

DODGERS&LAKERS
10-11-2008, 01:33 AM
I agree that none of these players should be your main focal point on offense but, he is asking which player out of those players would you pick.

Okay, Ill play along. Pau, Boozer, Iggy in that order. Redd and Iggy might swap if Redd gets into shape and plays some d this year. But building a team around any of these players screams first round exits at best.

PhxGiant
10-11-2008, 01:34 AM
Hmmm David West because you should always build around talented bigs. But my guard would be Calderon easily.

Vinny642
10-11-2008, 01:39 AM
west and calderon or ginobli, everybody else cant lead, iggy too

FortyDubs
10-11-2008, 01:41 AM
Kevin Martin

lakers4sho
10-11-2008, 01:45 AM
marvin williams

kobe24>jordan23
10-11-2008, 02:00 AM
kobe with bynum or gasol or boozer

clehmun
10-11-2008, 02:18 AM
boozer or caron butler.
by the way... why is battier or diaw even on the list? can you imagine a team with battier as your number one franchise player? he's the best role player there is, but cmon.

Hellcrooner
10-11-2008, 02:55 AM

Pau is a solid leader and you can rely on him, see Spain does and they have a world championship and olympci sivler and european silver to prove he is a good leader, Barcelona won a sapnish cup and a "ring" with him being the main man.

And as for teh grizz, they never gave him the real lead, neve payed 40 minutes a game or shot as much as Dirk or Kobe or Kg were alowed too.

Anyway he iddnt owrk tha tbad for them.
How mani times had they qualified for the playoffs without him ? 0!!!!

He lead them there 3 out of 6 years , Of course it was with the 8th seed on a DEEP and TALENTED stacked WEST , so facing the 1st seed, well how can you balme them for not wining ( he stepped up his numbers n teh series anyway) a game, 2 of the three times they faced the cahpions.

and of course they sucked tha last two years the first of them he spent three months injuried and the FO had consecutievely lost ALL HELP he had, Jay Wlll, Wells, Soudamire, BATTIER......... Gay might be good, but he was a rookie two years ago, so how can you blame Pau?

And of course, should have Menmhis been placed in the east ( last time i chechekd memphsi was in teh east coast) i GUARANTEE you that the WIlliams, Miller, Batttier, Gasol, Swift, Wells Grizz would at least have played Conference finals.

amare#1
10-11-2008, 03:29 AM
It is too hard to say because it depends so much on what position the first tier player is. Out of that list my favorites would be Iggy, Calderon, Butler, Marion, Ginobili, West, Gasol, Kaman and Boozer.

UofA
10-11-2008, 03:56 AM
Calderon because a good point guard makes the rest of the team good

Lakersfan2483
10-11-2008, 05:08 AM
Ok, everybody would want to build around MIng or Paul or Lebron or KObe.

But if you had to build around a "second tier" who would you Choose for it?

Igoudala

Eddie Curry

Devin Harris

Jose Calderon

Caron Butler

Emeka Okafor

Shawn Marion

Rashard Lewis

Marvin Williams

Rajon Rondo

Prince

Hinrich

Redd

Ilgauskas

Dunleavy

Josh Howard

Ginobili

Battier

West

Conley

Pau

Kaman

Diaw

Harrington

Kevin Martin

Aldrige

Foye

Green

Jr Smith

Boozer.

None of these guys are franchise players, but if I had to select from the list, I would pick both Boozer and Gasol.

Wilson
10-11-2008, 07:49 AM
Caron Butler, he's done a really good job of keeping the Wizards competitive whilst Arenas has been injured.

Boozer would be a good choice too.

alexander_37
10-11-2008, 10:03 AM
boozer or kaman cause theys beastin

or iggy cause he would attract a large crowd because hes a flyer

AirJordanXVIII
10-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Butler. He does everything well.

heyman321
10-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Jose Calderon, he is an up and coming PG, and he's relatively young.

_Supreme_
10-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Memphis built around Pau, and that worked out great didn't it?

He is not a first option, MAYBE a second option, but to be honest I would only be comfortable with him as a shared 2nd option at best.

To be honest I don't think any of the players on that list could be built around to contend for a championship unless the team end up Detroit-like, but in that case you don't really build around one player.

Wilson
10-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Memphis built around Pau, and that worked out great didn't it?

He is not a first option, MAYBE a second option, but to be honest I would only be comfortable with him as a shared 2nd option at best.

To be honest I don't think any of the players on that list could be built around to contend for a championship unless the team end up Detroit-like, but in that case you don't really build around one player.

Pau can be a great 2nd option, you just need to put solid defenders around him so he's not a liability on that side of the floor.

b_russ
10-11-2008, 11:32 AM
As of right now the only player that is considered a franchise player to his team is Kevin Martin, and Pau Gosol is the only former franchise player. If Igoudala turns out as good as I hope he does then for sure I'd pick him #1. It would also be hard to pass over Caron Butler if they guy could stay healthy. If we could rewind in time I'd take a youthful Manu Ginobili any day. Also I think this might be Devin Harris' year, maybe the Nets know something that we don't.

I don't know how you could even consider some of those players. (i.e. Diaw, Harrington, Green, Jr Smith?)

_Sn1P3r_
10-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Aldridge, Iggy, Butler or Okafor.

Big Quett
10-11-2008, 11:54 AM
if i had to build a team around one of those players as my main guy, i would sell the team

agreed

Big Quett
10-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Pau can be a great 2nd option, you just need to put solid defenders around him so he's not a liability on that side of the floor.

Pau had a solid team around him a few years back. He had James Posey, Shane battier, Mike Miller and J Will all in the prime of thier careers. Pau is not a franchise player although i hve to admit he is a great 2nd option though. I think KG or Duncan would have won with that team around him not saying championships but im sure they would have won a damn playoff game which Pau didnt in 3 straight years.

Big Quett
10-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Pau is a solid leader and you can rely on him, see Spain does and they have a world championship and olympci sivler and european silver to prove he is a good leader, Barcelona won a sapnish cup and a "ring" with him being the main man.

And as for teh grizz, they never gave him the real lead, neve payed 40 minutes a game or shot as much as Dirk or Kobe or Kg were alowed too.

Anyway he iddnt owrk tha tbad for them.
How mani times had they qualified for the playoffs without him ? 0!!!!

He lead them there 3 out of 6 years , Of course it was with the 8th seed on a DEEP and TALENTED stacked WEST , so facing the 1st seed, well how can you balme them for not wining ( he stepped up his numbers n teh series anyway) a game, 2 of the three times they faced the cahpions.

and of course they sucked tha last two years the first of them he spent three months injuried and the FO had consecutievely lost ALL HELP he had, Jay Wlll, Wells, Soudamire, BATTIER......... Gay might be good, but he was a rookie two years ago, so how can you blame Pau?

And of course, should have Menmhis been placed in the east ( last time i chechekd memphsi was in teh east coast) i GUARANTEE you that the WIlliams, Miller, Batttier, Gasol, Swift, Wells Grizz would at least have played Conference finals.

yeah and how wins did he have in the playoffs? ZERO
you cant tell me Duncan or KG wouldnt have at least won a damn game.

JJ81
10-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Pau or Manu

MTar786
10-11-2008, 02:59 PM

HAHAHAHAH i swear i was thinking of typing the exact same thing while i was lookin at the list... anyway id prob build around ginobli.. then sign lebron bosh and wade in 2010 lol

RoyalG333
10-11-2008, 03:20 PM
I would build around Kevin Martin. He is not flashy but he is a scorer. There are too many intangibles to really make a solid argument for any one of these guys, but I like K-marts game. Of course Iggy, Pau, Boozer are all guys that would be fine building a franchise around.

Famous03
10-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Boozer

Iodine
10-11-2008, 03:25 PM
This isnt even funny

Caron or west

kntresistheheat
10-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Magic
Jordan
Bird
Duncan
Shaq

Cp3
Wade
Lebron
Amare
D.Howard

JOSETHEALLSTAR
10-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Caron Butler

40oz
10-11-2008, 07:41 PM

pretty much what i thought...

SAVAGE CLAW
10-12-2008, 12:28 AM
^ How many 2d round games has T-Mac Played? With Grant Hill and Yao Ming as company.......

Doe sit make him less of a Franchise player?

23LBJCleBrowns
10-12-2008, 12:30 AM
Kevin Martin

SensandRaps
10-12-2008, 09:37 AM
west with calderon or
boozer with calderon

number1nykfan25
10-12-2008, 09:46 AM
i was laughing so hard at eddy curry. i was like who the hell would build a team around him but than i looked at the other players on that list of the original poster and curry's name didn't look that bad.

number1nykfan25
10-12-2008, 09:49 AM
i would go with Calderon and Igoudala.

TMAC94
10-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Paul with boozer, whos green? if gerald chuck him in too :P

DODGERS&LAKERS
10-12-2008, 11:03 AM
^ How many 2d round games has T-Mac Played? With Grant Hill and Yao Ming as company.......

Doe sit make him less of a Franchise player?

Actually yes. If we are not judging on flash and potential anymore and judging from what a guy has done on the floor over a 11 year career, I would say he is not a franchise player.

RapsGuy23
10-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Boozer or Jose.

mrblisterdundee
10-12-2008, 12:01 PM
None of these players is a good choice to build around. Considering a point guard distributes to all other players, I would go with Mike Conley.

$ NyC $
10-12-2008, 12:30 PM
You either build around a point guard or big man thas how it goes.

UofA
10-13-2008, 12:27 AM
Boozer would be a pretty good option, Jose is my number one though

JermanJaysFan
10-13-2008, 12:37 AM
I would go with one of the bigs most likely- Boozer/West/Gasol. That team would suck, but then I draft Rubio and have a nice inside/outside combo.

NYMetros
10-13-2008, 12:39 AM
I'd go with Caron Butler. He's a great player, young, has a great jump shot, can do it all, basically. I like him over Iguodala, Andre has a weak mid-range game.

godschild
10-13-2008, 12:44 AM
okeafor,iguadala,or boozer

but its kind of a stupid question because in what situation would u build a team around a 2nd tier player??? i think you just wanted to start a thread..............and rajon rondo??? on what team exactly is he a 2nd tier player??? he's not even a top 3 player on ANY team in the league

Hawkeye15
10-13-2008, 07:23 PM
wow, off that list, as my #2 guy, nobody. But I guess Ginoboli would be the only choice, since he has proven he can contribute to a winner.