PDA

View Full Version : Game 1: New York Islanders at New Jersey Devils

hughest4
10-10-2008, 05:14 PM
http://assets.espn.go.com/i/teamlogos/nhl/lrg/trans/nyi.gif@http://assets.espn.go.com/i/teamlogos/nhl/lrg/trans/njd.gif

New York Islanders at New Jersey Devils

Time: 7:00 PM EST
http://www.crownaudio.com/pressart/Prudential_Center_ice.jpg

Game Preview:

Few NHL players have become more synonymous with success than New Jersey Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur. This season should see the four-time Vezina Trophy winner reaching new heights in the record books.

Brodeur looks to move a step closer to the all-time wins record on Friday night when the Devils open their season against the Atlantic Division rival New York Islanders at the Prudential Center.

Brodeur has been the one constant for the Devils the past 15 seasons, leading the team to three Stanley Cup titles and playoff appearances 14 times in that span. He begins this season second on the career wins list with 538, 13 behind Patrick Roy. Brodeur could also pass Terry Sawchuk for the all-time shutouts record, needing eight to surpass Sawchuk's mark of 103.

Last season saw Brodeur win his fourth Vezina as the league's top goaltender after he went 44-27-6 with a 2.17 goals-against average and four shutouts.

"I'm just happy to get it going here," said Brodeur, who has started at least 70 games in each of the last 10 seasons. "We made some changes to the team and made the team better. I'm looking forward to start the season and see where we match up with the top teams in the league."

With Brodeur in net, there's no reason to think the Devils (46-29-7) won't be in the playoffs for the 12th straight season. Whether he has enough of a supporting cast to make a deep postseason run after they were eliminated in the first round last season by the New York Rangers remains to be seen.

In an effort to bolster an offense that totaled only 206 goals, New Jersey brought back a pair of familiar faces, signing free agent forwards Brian Rolston and Bobby Holik, teammates on the Devils' 1995 championship team.

The versatile Rolston had at least 30 goals in each of his three seasons in Minnesota and is expected to center the top line with Patrik Elias and Brian Gionta. Rolston should also give the Devils a reliable quarterback on the power play.

Holik, meanwhile, will provide grit, character and occasional offense from the third line.

"The great thing about it is that it's not that big of a change," Brodeur said. "Usually, when you sign free agents, there's a period of adjustment for everyone. But Brian and Bobby blended right in here and that's definitely a good thing. Plus, we have so many good young players who are going to make a difference."

Zach Parise is the Devils' only returning 30-goal scorer from last season, netting a career-high 32 in his third year as a pro. More will be expected from captain Jamie Langenbrunner, who battled injuries and was limited to 13 goals after scoring 23 in 2006-07.

Also hoping to rebound is forward Dainius Zubrus, who scored only 13 goals in his first season with the Devils after signing a big free agent contract.

While a playoff spot is expected for the Devils, the Islanders reaching the postseason under first-year coach Scott Gordon seems far less likely as they begin a rebuilding phase.
---------------------------------
The Islanders were 6-1-1 against the Devils last season, 3-1-0 at New Jersey.
-ESPN

hughest4
10-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Im extremely excited for tonights game and i have been looking forward to the return of Devils hockey for a while now. I'm going to make a quick box of pasta for myself but these are the things i am looking forward to seeing tonight:

-If Marty is just as good as ever, or if he is losing a step
-Bobby Holik back in a Devils uniform
-Whether or not this offense can put up some goals for once

hughest4
10-10-2008, 07:54 PM
1st Period Recap

9:48 - Doug Weight(Mark Streit, Bill Guerin): 1-0 Islanders
12:49 - Zach Parise(David Clarkson, Paul Martin): 1-1 Tie

Devils SOG = 11
Islanders SOG = 5

This is a good start for the Devils but they really need to start capatilizing on more of these opportunities. It doesn't surprise me that Zach Parise was the first to score, and i expect many more from him this season

hughest4
10-10-2008, 08:53 PM
2nd Period Recap

0:29 - Patrik Elias(Brian Gionta, Brian Rolston): 2-1 Devils

Islanders SOG - 17(12)
Devils SOG - 18(7)

All i need is for Bobby Holik to get involved in a goal somewhere and that would make my 4 favorite Devils have some kind of points

hughest4
10-10-2008, 09:37 PM
3rd Period/Game Recap

No 3rd Period Goals

Islanders SOG - 26(9)
Devils SOG - 29(11)

Final Score - Devils win 2-1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

njdevs25
10-11-2008, 03:55 AM
sorry hughest i would of kept u company in here but i was at the game it was awesome and we got our goal song back. great start to the season now we got pitt tomorow and college football :)

Nascar-NJDevils
10-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Was at the game too. It was a great, tight game all the way. It was good to have the goal song (Rock and Roll Part 2) back. Hopefully we'll be hearing that song alot this year.