PDA

View Full Version : In the West, you need an Allstar Big Man to make noise in the playoffs

JordansBulls
10-10-2008, 05:07 PM
In the West, you need an allstar Big Man to make noise in the playoffs

Looking at last year's teams. Here is how the seeds were

Lakers - Gasol
Hornets - West
Spurs - Duncan
Jazz - Boozer
Rockets - Missing Yao
Suns - Amare
Mavericks - Dirk

Each of those teams had an allstar type Big man on the team who could score in the post and rebound.
It doesn't mean they were the best on the team, but it does mean they had great impact for their teams success.

With that in mind, the same formula could be applied to teams wanting to make the playoffs this year. With that in mind, I think it is clear those same 7 teams will be in the playoffs with the 8th team being up for grabs.

Vinny642
10-10-2008, 05:23 PM
Yea Portland's Greg Oden might make that list next year.
I hope David West can do what he did like last year.

lavis
10-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Well there's a team with Marcus Camby and Chris Kaman.

Iodine
10-10-2008, 06:16 PM
To live as a human you need oxygen from air

Buckwheat
10-10-2008, 06:16 PM
To be Iodine, you need cocaine

Iodine
10-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Dumbass I am on heroin jesus

JOSETHEALLSTAR
10-10-2008, 06:18 PM
yeah all those team have a very good big man

Rome
10-10-2008, 07:33 PM
I expect the blazers with GO to make the 8th spot if not then 6th or 7th. Yup.

_Sn1P3r_
10-10-2008, 10:19 PM
I think Blazers and even the Clips could get that 8th spot.

SAVAGE CLAW
10-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Unless you have a disguised Alien playing for you ( see 90s Bulls) you need a biggie to go places, East ,West, Europe , Tadjikistan or wherever.

JermanJaysFan
10-10-2008, 10:45 PM

Lakers - Gasol
Hornets - West
Spurs - Duncan
Jazz - Boozer
Rockets - Missing Yao
Suns - Amare
Mavericks - Dirk

Each of those teams had an allstar type Big man on the team who could score in the post and rebound.
It doesn't mean they were the best on the team, but it does mean they had great impact for their teams success.

With that in mind, the same formula could be applied to teams wanting to make the playoffs this year. With that in mind, I think it is clear those same 7 teams will be in the playoffs with the 8th team being up for grabs.

How about you look at it like this:

Lakers - Kobe
Hornets - Paul
Spurs - Parker/Ginobili
Jazz - Williams
Rockets - T-Mac
Suns - Nash
Mavericks - Kidd

All those teams also have a star in the back court, who in most cases is more valuable to their team than the big you named. So it looks like you need the combo, not just the big.

Lakersfan2483
10-10-2008, 10:51 PM

Lakers - Gasol
Hornets - West
Spurs - Duncan
Jazz - Boozer
Rockets - Missing Yao
Suns - Amare
Mavericks - Dirk

I agree, the better teams out west have a good big man down low. The league has always been a "Big Man's Game." For a team like LA, it helps to have the best player in the league in terms of Kobe and you couple that with an all-star type player in Pau Gasol.

The better teams out west have good big men down low. San Antonio has Duncan and Houston has Yao.

Lakersfan2483
10-10-2008, 10:53 PM
The league has been dominated by both Tim Duncan and Shaq O'neal for the last 10 yrs., it has always been a big man's league. MJ was an exception to the rule.

AirJordanXVIII
10-10-2008, 11:12 PM
How about you look at it like this:

Lakers - Kobe
Hornets - Paul
Spurs - Parker/Ginobili
Jazz - Williams
Rockets - T-Mac
Suns - Nash
Mavericks - Kidd

All those teams also have a star in the back court, who in most cases is more valuable to their team than the big you named. So it looks like you need the combo, not just the big.

Good call.