PDA

View Full Version : Mavs Trade For Shawne Williams

mrgerbik
10-10-2008, 03:59 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081010/SPORTS04/81010033/1004/RSS02

The Indiana Pacers have traded swingman Shawne Williams to Dallas, two people with knowledge of the situation said today.

The Pacers will receive guard Eddie Jones, two second-round picks and approximately $1.8 million in cash.

Williams averaged 6.7 points in two seasons with the Pacers, but several off-court incidents put the franchise in a bad light and made him expendable.

In February, a man wanted for murder in Memphis, Tenn., was arrested after leaving Williams' home. The suspect, Gary Ian Bohannon, 20, was driving Williams' truck when police pulled him over.

Before last season, team president Larry Bird suspended Williams for three games after the player was arrested following a traffic stop.

Police said they found a gun and marijuana in Williams' car. Police linked both to two passengers, Roosevelt Rollins and Roderick Helton, both from Memphis, where Williams grew up and played college basketball.

The Pacers selected Williams with the 17th overall pick in the 2006 draft.

Indiana Pacers trade Shawne Williams for EJ, 2 round 2 picks and some cash...

Huge deal for us. Mainly because EJ is gone, and we don't haev to play Deavan George..

BlondeBomber41
10-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Are you saying this happened? Because I dont see it on any websites.

29$JerZ
10-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Sounds kind of fishy, if they trade 2 more 2nd ounders doesn't that mean Mavs have basically no picks for the next 4 years?

BlondeBomber41
10-10-2008, 04:19 PM
Ok I found a link for it and put it in the main post.

I like the deal, Williams is a versatile player. I doubt he gets much time here but we'll see.

Pacerfan99
10-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Are you guys sure you don't want Tinsley also? I'm sure Bird would just give him to you at this point. :o) If Williams stays out of trouble he'll be a nice pickup for you guys.

BlondeBomber41
10-10-2008, 04:28 PM
I would actually love Tinsley as a backup PG if he can stay healthy, but I bet he couldnt.

xanderyear
10-10-2008, 04:48 PM
It's more of a matter of if he'll stay out of trouble. No, I think this is a good pickup, although I question it since you also have a player similar in Gerald Green.

BlondeBomber41
10-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Yeah I really wish we could of made a move to grab another big man. We were already loaded at SG/SF and this trade just basically swaps Jones for Williams.

Pitfall
10-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Heh. The Mavericks don't like to draft.

#1Mavericksfan
10-10-2008, 06:07 PM
I think this is a good trade...Shawne is 22 years old, athletic and can still improve under Rick Carlisle plus we dump Eddie Jones I don't see anything wrong with this trade....and we can make up for the draft picks in the free agent market.

Sevilla91
10-10-2008, 06:16 PM
i dont understand why we did this, not because of the draft picks, (honestly, how many good players come from the 2nd round anyways, maybe 1 or 2 a year) but we dont need a character guy like that. hes a loser and we dont need another young guy who is "learning" the nba still. this makes no sence to me

bhooks80
10-10-2008, 10:46 PM
I think this is a great trade!
This could be another Bass, in terms of great pick-ups by the Mavericks scouting department.

It seems to be that the Mavs feel just fine about forgoing Draft picks and finding other ways of adding top quality young players with considerable potential to their roster. And finding them in FA!

The draft is a crap-shoot in the 2nd round, and even in the late 1st round as we have seen. We are quietly becoming a very long and athletic team.

Shawne Williams was a major prospect.
This is exactly the type of acquisition the Mavericks gamble on. They Hit on Bass and Diop. Now Green and Williams? I think they know what they are doing.
Good Gamble and Good Trade.

re:
I am sure he has done some stupid things. He got arrested after being pulled over on a traffic violation.
Being arrested after the Cop found Mary-jane and a gun in the car I believe. They belonged to one of his passengers and found on said persons.
He also got into trouble as a guy wanted for murder or something was pulled over in his car. Thats all I found if anybody has anything else on him. I would like to see.

I am sure being a Pacer and being invloved with the Cops in anyway would be a ticket to a short tenure with the organization. And more scrutiny.

Furthermore, you have to develop young players, it is critical to do this.
So yeah, Good Trade!

mrgerbik
10-13-2008, 10:55 AM
i dont understand why we did this, not because of the draft picks, (honestly, how many good players come from the 2nd round anyways, maybe 1 or 2 a year) but we dont need a character guy like that. hes a loser and we dont need another young guy who is "learning" the nba still. this makes no sence to me

Ok, let me try to help you understand. We get rid of EJ who can not play anymore and is too old to contribute going forward. We get back a guy who is very athletic and 22yrs old with a bright future. You know nothing about the dood I would imagine to call him a loser. None the less he's a MAV now so he's not a loser until he proves it.

audiosway
10-13-2008, 01:36 PM
This is another move that is pure genius honestly. The mavs have created a very smart system. As a team in the NBA you draft a player who is a mid to late 1st rounder because of his incredible potential. They really usually aren't ready for the NBA so they get very little playing time struggle to adjust and usually end up wearing on the team. So, the team dumps them even though they don't want to because of the potential there. So, the player realizes "Hey, I'm making stupid mistakes. I'm going to lose a good thing here". They get a "second chance" with the Mavs. The mavs get hungry, young, extremely talented guys who are basically on their last chance. Guys like Gerald Green, Shawne Williams who have learned by their mistakes. The mavs basically gave two wasted picks (How many late second rounders ever do much) and a guy on his last legs. In return they get a guy who is hungry to play and extremely talented. Even if he is a bust what have they lost? Most likely he will flourish and the mavs get a young really athletic player ready to prove his worth.

mrgerbik
10-13-2008, 02:42 PM
^Amen to this Intelligent post!

Lone Maverick
10-13-2008, 07:28 PM
I like the deal. Whatever he did in the past should remain in the past. I love us getting more athletic and younger. Win-Win imo

thedfactor
10-14-2008, 10:46 PM
This trade really made me feel good about the team going into the season. As Carlisle lets Jason Kidd play his game in a motion offense and up-tempo system, having younger and more athletic players only leaves room to improve. I was tired of the old bench mob our Mavericks had last season - Juwan Howard, Devean, Eddie, Tyrone - it was hurting the team as a whole because they couldn't be depended on to provide energy consistently when the starters need rest. Now look at the new younger group - Diop, Bass, Green, Williams, Wright, and the many fighting to make the squad. Personally I think it would be nice to lose George and add one of the guys like Charles Rhodes. Devean isn't the defender he once was and his sweet 3 has worn with his multiple injuries. As far as the meaning of the Shawne Williams acquistion, I think he has the ability to prove he has starter's worth sometime during the season. His 6-9 build and 3-pt range could allow Josh to play the shooting guard with Shawne occupying the 3. As for now, I see Antoine entering the season as the starting shooting guard, rounding out the starting five.

R3aZoN
10-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Anyone else like how James Singleton plays?

mrgerbik
10-16-2008, 10:48 AM
YUP, give him all of Georges minutes!!!

R3aZoN
10-16-2008, 02:15 PM
Screw George. Give Charles Rhodes or Reyshawn Terry his roster spot.

mrgerbik
10-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Not happening, for some reason they see George as a Veteran that won't hurt you on teh floor and can play D. I disagree tho... I think he needs to recieve his walking papers

thedfactor
10-17-2008, 07:07 PM
George is old and not much left to help this team. He needs to be moved or waived. One of the younger guys deserve his spot.

mrmav
10-18-2008, 12:06 PM
i wouldn't be surprised if George had a pretty good year this year. maybe the uptempo offense will suit him. the front office isn't in the business of resigning talentless deal-blockers (i hope).