PDA

View Full Version : Wieters Dominating in the AFL

IndiansFan337
10-10-2008, 08:04 AM
Matt Wieters went 4-for-4 with two doubles and a walk Thursday in his second game for Surprise of the AFL.
He tripled and walked in his debut Tuesday. Wieters is right there with David Price as the game's best prospect and is certainly the top minor league catcher to come along since Joe Mauer. It's going to be awfully difficult for the Orioles to resist turning the reins over to him at the beginning of next year.
Rotoworld.com

bigity b
10-10-2008, 09:29 AM
he's ready.

Hermie13
10-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Problem is, can you move Hernandez and his big contract this winter? Don't see you guys putting him on the bench next year for Weiters.....

sager729
10-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Weiters is a badass. He needs to be your starting catcher next season.

Hermie13
10-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Has he even played at AAA yet?

blb
10-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Problem is, can you move Hernandez and his big contract this winter? Don't see you guys putting him on the bench next year for Weiters.....

I can see the O's benching Hernandez in a heartbeat. Especially with Wieters coming up. Hernandez will be 33 in May, he's overweight, his defense has gone way downhill, he's afraid to block the plate, he doesn't seem to enjoy working with the young staters and he has no work ethic.

My guess is that when Spring Training rolls around, Wieters will be in camp and the O's will give Hernandez an ultimatum: Get in shape and play hard or you're benched. I wouldn't be surprised if they already gave him that ultimatum.

bigity b
10-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Hernandez will be a nice veteran back-up. (doesnt he only have 1 yr left on the contract anyway?)... Weiters will be next year's Mauer and Soto when they came up.

Hermie13
10-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Hernandez is getting paid $8M next year with an $8.5M option ($1M buyout) in 2010. So basically you're gonna be paying him $9M next year......doubt he'll ride the bench for that much but maybe he will.....

I think Weiters will start in AAA....could see him in July though as someone may bite on Hernandez then.....

thegreatone08
10-15-2008, 09:12 PM
If Weiters is ready I say play him. Let him fight for the job in spring training. Let Hernandez back him up and get time at DH. Hopefully we can trade him tho.

TChef02
10-23-2008, 04:16 PM
Unless we can trade him Hernandez will be sitting and watching Weiters start most days and he will get the occasional start when Weiters needs a day off. The kid is a beast and as good as Joe Maur is the talk on Weiters is that he is Joe Maur but with more power. I can't wait to see this kid play for the O's; I've seen him in single A Frederick and he is sick! With Boras being his agent it could help us land Texiera as well.

papipapsmanny
10-24-2008, 09:45 PM
if they block him from coming up ill be so pissed

if they do to him what they are inexplicably doing to reimold ill go kill angelos

Vainglory07
10-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Hernandez is getting paid $8M next year with an $8.5M option ($1M buyout) in 2010. So basically you're gonna be paying him $9M next year......doubt he'll ride the bench for that much but maybe he will.....

I think Weiters will start in AAA....could see him in July though as someone may bite on Hernandez then.....

I completely agree here. Wieters will have plenty of time to do some damage in the MLB. It will be difficult for management to bench a guy making that much money. If Wieters dominates AAA for the first half of the year, then yeah, bring him up in July and give him a taste of MLB before making his full-time debut in 2010. Patience people, you don't want to rush him.