PDA

View Full Version : What Percentage of Nba players do you think smoke weed?

Frank Costanza
10-09-2008, 12:40 PM
I dont know if its the hip hop nature of the sport, the way some ppl conduct interviews or just how much fun it is to play when your high(trust me its a trip) but there is a consensus amonst fans that these guys are on the rifa, not all but some, question is what percent?

Frank Costanza
10-09-2008, 12:43 PM
i dont think its all of them , but i dont think its none of them , i went with 20-30% if a team has 13 players im saying btw 1-2 , some teams are full of bad seeds, the old indi team with artest-oneal-tinsly i think that starting 5 were on the rifa

MiamiHeat
10-09-2008, 12:44 PM
0-15%

bambam27
10-09-2008, 12:45 PM
16-20%

MoBASS
10-09-2008, 12:53 PM
I read in a Bill Simmons article that the NBA labor agreement has a stipulation that the league can NOT test its players for it in their "random" drug tests.

JIDsanity
10-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Some of you are so naive

barreleffact
10-09-2008, 01:28 PM
I dont know if its the hip hop nature of the sport, the way some ppl conduct interviews or just how much fun it is to play when your high(trust me its a trip) but there is a consensus amonst fans that these guys are on the rifa, not all but some, question is what percent?

EVERY group smokes weed. Hip hop has nothing to do with it...BRAD MILLER. lol. but seriously, i went with 30-50%. after Miller, it just opened my eyes a lot. I do not expect to ever see anything on a superstar smoking. Kobe is a def no, Lebron did back in the day but i doubt he does now, I couldnt see wade....Maybe dwight or Bosh. but as far as the league as a whole, i think about 35-40% do

NYKnickFanatic
10-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Def more than half of the players in the NBA smoke weed...def.

Afridi786
10-09-2008, 02:12 PM
On occasion or frequently?

theuuord
10-09-2008, 02:17 PM
lol over 50% easily...

brandonwarne52
10-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Yeah I was gonna say 50 at least.

theuuord
10-09-2008, 02:21 PM
I'd put it at like 85%, give or take.

mjt20mik
10-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Around 0-15 % IMO.
I just don't see the greatest basketball league in the world having the majority of its players being potheads.

brandonwarne52
10-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Maybe you need to stop using and leave some for the players, then.

NYKnickFanatic
10-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Around 0-15 % IMO.
I just don't see the greatest basketball league in the world having the majority of its players being potheads.

Hahaha...sure :up:
Maybe at least 8 or 9 years ago, maybe less, the BLAZERS were known for there name. Literally.
Blazingggg all day, everyday. Lol

TheY called Rasheed Wallace, RashWEED Wallace.

JR-FIGHTER
10-09-2008, 02:53 PM
95%

_Sn1P3r_
10-09-2008, 02:59 PM
20-30 %.

Nighthawk
10-09-2008, 03:02 PM
HERES ONE ARTICLE I FOUND...lol...Its OLD

A fondness for weed isn't found only among top NFL players. Many of the NBA's most skilled players are also known to enjoy a toke, often right before a game!

NBA players have been tested for pot since 1998, but the testing regime isn't as stringent as that of the NFL. NBA players are drug tested at the start of training camp, and veterans who test negative don't get tested again until next season.

Star NBA player Charles Oakley told the New York Post in 2001 that 60% of NBA players use marijuana. "You got guys out there playing high every night," said Oakley. His claim matches a 1997 poll by the New York Times, which claimed that 60% to 70% of NBA players smoke pot.

The list of NBA players charged with marijuana possession in recent years includes high-profile names like Allen Iverson, Chris Webber, Jason Williams, Lamar Odom, Isaiah "JR" Rider, Eddie Griffin, Damon Stoudamire, Rasheed Wallace, Zach Randolph, and many others.

Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was busted for possession in 1998, then again in 2001. Abdul-Jabbar told the media that he uses the herb for medical reasons, because it helps alleviate the nausea from his severe migraine headaches.

Love of pot in the NBA goes well beyond just the players. In January, the Chicago Bulls mascot was caught dealing buds from his car, getting busted with six ounces and a scale.

blazerman
10-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Being from Portland, I think I can name a few. Jr Rider,Quentel Woods,Damon Stoudamire,Rasheed Wallace,Shawn Kemp and the list goes on, so Id have to say at least 40%. I could have named a 100

barreleffact
10-09-2008, 03:12 PM
HERES ONE ARTICLE I FOUND...lol...Its OLD

A fondness for weed isn't found only among top NFL players. Many of the NBA's most skilled players are also known to enjoy a toke, often right before a game!

NBA players have been tested for pot since 1998, but the testing regime isn't as stringent as that of the NFL. NBA players are drug tested at the start of training camp, and veterans who test negative don't get tested again until next season.

Star NBA player Charles Oakley told the New York Post in 2001 that 60% of NBA players use marijuana. "You got guys out there playing high every night," said Oakley. His claim matches a 1997 poll by the New York Times, which claimed that 60% to 70% of NBA players smoke pot.

The list of NBA players charged with marijuana possession in recent years includes high-profile names like Allen Iverson, Chris Webber, Jason Williams, Lamar Odom, Isaiah "JR" Rider, Eddie Griffin, Damon Stoudamire, Rasheed Wallace, Zach Randolph, and many others.

Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was busted for possession in 1998, then again in 2001. Abdul-Jabbar told the media that he uses the herb for medical reasons, because it helps alleviate the nausea from his severe migraine headaches.

Love of pot in the NBA goes well beyond just the players. In January, the Chicago Bulls mascot was caught dealing buds from his car, getting busted with six ounces and a scale.

Not surprising at all. Just glad you didnt name any superstars besides AI and Jabbar. I seriously doubt Lebron or Kobe smoke. Kobe especially would be eye popping all things considered...we all know Lebron used to but considering his high hopes of being a billionaire and knowing he has an image to maintain, I doubt he does. OJ mayo might. But your super elites...i cant see it happening

Nikolishin
10-09-2008, 03:14 PM
blazing and hooping is a perfect combination id say over 50% easily

Nighthawk
10-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Not surprising at all. Just glad you didnt name any superstars besides AI and Jabbar. I seriously doubt Lebron or Kobe smoke. Kobe especially would be eye popping all things considered...we all know Lebron used to but considering his high hopes of being a billionaire and knowing he has an image to maintain, I doubt he does. OJ mayo might. But your super elites...i cant see it happening

really

You would be shocked if Lebron or Kobe smoked weed???? They dont test for it....I wouldnt say Bron or Kobe are potheads or anything. But they all party together. Im sure Kobe gets high

Nighthawk
10-09-2008, 03:16 PM
blazing and hooping is a perfect combination id say over 50% easily

Thats what i voted for......It gets tested for ONCE a year....Plus its been talked about for years that the NBA is filled with weed users. Not saying its a bad thing....AT ALL...I would actually be SURPRISED if it was UNDER 50 %

barreleffact
10-09-2008, 03:19 PM
really

You would be shocked if Lebron or Kobe smoked weed???? They dont test for it....I wouldnt say Bron or Kobe are potheads or anything. But they all party together. Im sure Kobe gets high

I just really couldnt see Kobe getting high. They say his work ethic is second to none to the point that he is always tin the gym. Everything I know about him has always been that he puts ball above almost anything else and wont jeopardize his abilities nor his career. I would say his image too, but he does tend to come off very selfish and doesnt have the best image as is.

Bron I wouldnt be surprised, but when I think of elite talents...I do not think weed. When I think of players like Melo and J Howard...sure, but they arent special.

What about CP3?

Nighthawk
10-09-2008, 03:28 PM
I just really couldnt see Kobe getting high. They say his work ethic is second to none to the point that he is always tin the gym. Everything I know about him has always been that he puts ball above almost anything else and wont jeopardize his abilities nor his career. I would say his image too, but he does tend to come off very selfish and doesnt have the best image as is.

Bron I wouldnt be surprised, but when I think of elite talents...I do not think weed. When I think of players like Melo and J Howard...sure, but they arent special.

What about CP3?

Kobe wouldnt jeopardize his career??? You remember what went down in Colorado??? That was a lot worse than if Kobe was smoking a blunt...id say..

CP3 hell yes...I heard he always has other NBA stars at his crib, like D-Will. Im sure they spark it up right in the mansion.

Plus nothing in sports surprises me anymore....I never thought id see Roger Clemens going through all this..Cheating with multiple woman, roid abuser, BLATANTLY lying in court. Nothing surprises me.

Fribbles
10-09-2008, 03:36 PM
The % of NBA players who toke, is the same as the % of people who toke that responded to this forum....

barreleffact
10-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Kobe wouldnt jeopardize his career??? You remember what went down in Colorado??? That was a lot worse than if Kobe was smoking a blunt...id say..

CP3 hell yes...I heard he always has other NBA stars at his crib, like D-Will. Im sure they spark it up right in the mansion.

Plus nothing in sports surprises me anymore....I never thought id see Roger Clemens going through all this..Cheating with multiple woman, roid abuser, BLATANTLY lying in court. Nothing surprises me.

WOW!!!! Kobe cheated...so what? He didn't rape her. That was a huge waste of time from a desperate attempt for money. Jordan cheated on his wife ALL the time. Shaq too. it happens. Id be more surprised about weed because I think it takes away from your work ethic. I think you are limiting yourself when you do it. Ive seen a lot of potheads and just regular pot users that could have been special but turned out to be bums in the end. How much weed's role was in that, I cant say but the fact that they turned out to be nothing is what I think about.

Lol...CP3 does have ppl over all the time. You could be right. I hope not though. It would really just ruin the game for me if all these players smoke.

Not much really surprises me anymore. I mean, after I found out a lot of people think MJ is an ******* and how he cheated on his wife all the time, and that Jkidd beats his wife, I know anything can happen. The MJ thing should have been a duh....but I was a kid when MJ was in his prime.

SpaceCadet
10-09-2008, 03:39 PM
98%

Nighthawk
10-09-2008, 03:45 PM
WOW!!!! Kobe cheated...so what? He didn't rape her. That was a huge waste of time from a desperate attempt for money. Jordan cheated on his wife ALL the time. Shaq too. it happens. Id be more surprised about weed because I think it takes away from your work ethic. I think you are limiting yourself when you do it. Ive seen a lot of potheads and just regular pot users that could have been special but turned out to be bums in the end. How much weed's role was in that, I cant say but the fact that they turned out to be nothing is what I think about.

Lol...CP3 does have ppl over all the time. You could be right. I hope not though. It would really just ruin the game for me if all these players smoke.

Not much really surprises me anymore. I mean, after I found out a lot of people think MJ is an ******* and how he cheated on his wife all the time, and that Jkidd beats his wife, I know anything can happen. The MJ thing should have been a duh....but I was a kid when MJ was in his prime.

Do you smoke??

And also why would it ruin basketball for you??? I wouldnt care if every NBA player snorted coke and shot up...Aslong as im getting good, competitive ball games i dont give a rats *** what these guys do in there free time.

PhillySportFan
10-09-2008, 03:51 PM
I'd say give or take some where around 50%. Being high really doesn't effect you that much unless you just started smoking. Also, your high gets killed quicker in more pressure packed situations, if your sitting on your coach and you just smoked you will be a little stupid sure, but if you just smoked and your in front of a crowd of 40,000 people and hear all this noise your high won't be quite as potent feeling. They probably don't smoke a lot a lot though, probably a couple times a week or something of that nature.

barreleffact
10-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Do you smoke??

And also why would it ruin basketball for you??? I wouldnt care if every NBA player snorted coke and shot up...Aslong as im getting good, competitive ball games i dont give a rats *** what these guys do in there free time.

Na, I dont. I choose to not hang with people that do, also. You are defined a lot by your friends in the sense that you are a lot like who is around you. Most people that Ive been around that used weed have either gone to jail, and or failed at life. Thats not how I see myself.

It wouldnt completely ruin it. Id still watch and play all the time. But it would ruin player images. If you got time to smoke, you got time to be in the gym. you got time to be takin that extra shot in practice. you got time to do a lot of things. It shows negatively on their work ethics and just in general, in my mind it makes me think of how good they could have been had they been more dedicated

KiLLA RAiDER
10-09-2008, 03:58 PM
More than 50% of the players smoke weed! You know Kobe has sparked a blunt once in a while with like Pau Gasol!:cool:

WSU Tony
10-09-2008, 03:58 PM
EVERY group smokes weed. Hip hop has nothing to do with it...

% wise, yes it does. Do you honestly think a lower % of NBA players smoke weed compared to MLB? Wow.

cirilow
10-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Only the lebrons or wades in the world smoke that kugh and the others smoke that stress

Chronz
10-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Na, I dont. I choose to not hang with people that do, also. You are defined a lot by your friends in the sense that you are a lot like who is around you. Most people that Ive been around that used weed have either gone to jail, and or failed at life. Thats not how I see myself.
Sounds like your basing your beliefs off of an incredibly stupid sample of people youve met, I guarantee most people youve met you probably wouldnt associate weed but do it discretely, alot of people do but if your up front about it you can definitely spot them out. My Philosophy professor used to smoke daily so its not like only low lifes do it, and even if it was it doesnt mean its because weed is what caused them to fail.

It wouldnt completely ruin it. Id still watch and play all the time. But it would ruin player images. If you got time to smoke, you got time to be in the gym. you got time to be takin that extra shot in practice. you got time to do a lot of things. It shows negatively on their work ethics and just in general, in my mind it makes me think of how good they could have been had they been more dedicated
So your saying Robert Parish had bad work ethic? You know he only kept his body in shape long enough to withstand 2 decades of pro basketball.

Its an ignorant stance, players have free time to live out their LIVES outside of the basketball world, and if they should happen to enjoy spending that time getting high its their right. Marijuana is not a drug, its a plant, if you should happen to set on fire will have entertaining effects.

barreleffact
10-09-2008, 04:07 PM
% wise, yes it does. Do you honestly think a lower % of NBA players smoke weed compared to MLB? Wow.

that is one of the most ignorant things ive heard in a while. hip hop has NOTHING to do with it. Do you know how many Arabs, Europeans, WHITE AMERICANS, etc smoke weed? EVERY nationality, group, w/e smokes. you just assume differently. I used to too, till I opened my eyes. If you're trying to nicely say that the league has like 60% blacks compared to the like 10% of the MLB...thats true. still, I guarantee you, the MLB players smoke too. A lot of them. IDK what percentage, but thats beside the point. It's a lot like saying blacks steal more when statistics prove middle aged white women steal more than anyone else. just blacks are the ones in the media for it. thats all that is...exposure.

Chronz
10-09-2008, 04:09 PM
that is one of the most ignorant things ive heard in a while. hip hop has NOTHING to do with it. Do you know how many Arabs, Europeans, WHITE AMERICANS, etc smoke weed? EVERY nationality, group, w/e smokes. you just assume differently. I used to too, till I opened my eyes. If you're trying to nicely say that the league has like 60% blacks compared to the like 10% of the MLB...thats true. still, I guarantee you, the MLB players smoke too. A lot of them. IDK what percentage, but thats beside the point. It's a lot like saying blacks steal more when statistics prove middle aged white women steal more than anyone else. just blacks are the ones in the media for it. thats all that is...exposure.
Thats interesting, I didnt know that about middle aged women, makes sense.

Kaptain Kanada
10-09-2008, 04:09 PM
i dont think its all of them , but i dont think its none of them , i went with 20-30% if a team has 13 players im saying btw 1-2 , some teams are full of bad seeds, the old indi team with artest-oneal-tinsly i think that starting 5 were on the rifa

Math check... 1-2 is 0-15%.

I think that there are probably 2-4 per team that hit it up.

m26555
10-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Why would it be shocking if Kobe Bryant smoked weed? It's amazing how some of you people conjure up such a positive image of this well-known dirtball.

lovingTO
10-09-2008, 04:12 PM
What percentage of the nba are gangbangers or homies? Then add about another 10% to that.

Nighthawk
10-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Sounds like your basing your beliefs off of an incredibly stupid sample of people youve met, I guarantee most people youve met you probably wouldnt associate weed but do it discretely, alot of people do but if your up front about it you can definitely spot them out. My Philosophy professor used to smoke daily so its not like only low lifes do it, and even if it was it doesnt mean its because weed is what caused them to fail.

So your saying Robert Parish had bad work ethic? You know he only kept his body in shape long enough to withstand 2 decades of pro basketball.

Its an ignorant stance, players have free time to live out their LIVES outside of the basketball world, and if they should happen to enjoy spending that time getting high its their right. Marijuana is not a drug, its a plant, if you should happen to set on fire will have entertaining effects.

Exactly....

You could spend all day in the gym....All day on the court....But every player is going to have alone time...Time where there at home relaxing...Time to toke up....I kno officers who smoke. I kno dudes parents who smoke and they have nice jobs with incredible homes. I know bums who smoke...I know blacks, whites, and every color that smoke...I dont think what you said what right at all barrel.... but ah well.

barreleffact
10-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Sounds like your basing your beliefs off of an incredibly stupid sample of people youve met, I guarantee most people youve met you probably wouldnt associate weed but do it discretely, alot of people do but if your up front about it you can definitely spot them out. My Philosophy professor used to smokes daily so its not like only low lifes do it, and even if it was it doesnt mean its because weed is what caused them to fail.

No, Im not implying that. I know EVERYONE high ranking or low smokes weed. Its ignorant to say that one race, nationality, culture, wealth status, etc are the only ones. Ive known a lot of people that could have gone further had they not gotten caught up in weed...which is a drug. the word drug just always gets taken in a negative conotation. It isnt a bad drug. its far better than crack, pcp, meth, etc but still, it is a drug. Many successful people, and probably quite a few CEO's even smoke, but it just says something about their character to me. just like to you, losing to have a better playoff matchup speaks volume about character...weed speaks volumes about players to me. the difference is, tanking to play a team you can beat has tangible benefits(money, fame, extended season, rest if you beat them sooner, more practice time, etc)...what tangible gain do you get from weed?

As far as Perish, or even if Kobe smokes...to me it is saying they could have done more and been better had they chosen not to.

And thats bull about they have to live their lives too. with the money they have, there are plenty of things to do, and people to do things with. Weed is not the only means of relaxation. if its their choice, w/e. but I dont have to agree with it nor do they have to agree with me nor care wat i think.

barreleffact
10-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Why would it be shocking if Kobe Bryant smoked weed? It's amazing how some of you people conjure up such a positive image of this well-known dirtball.

why is he a dirtball? he is arrogant, but all players at that level are and should be. He is selfish in the sense that he wants to win, and will do w/e it takes to push his teammates to be better(even if that means degrade them). outside that last thing, what makes him a bad guy?

Nighthawk
10-09-2008, 04:23 PM
No, Im not implying that. I know EVERYONE high ranking or low smokes weed. Its ignorant to say that one race, nationality, culture, wealth status, etc are the only ones. Ive known a lot of people that could have gone further had they not gotten caught up in weed...which is a drug. the word drug just always gets taken in a negative conotation. It isnt a bad drug. its far better than crack, pcp, meth, etc but still, it is a drug. Many successful people, and probably quite a few CEO's even smoke, but it just says something about their character to me. just like to you, losing to have a better playoff matchup speaks volume about character...weed speaks volumes about players to me. the difference is, tanking to play a team you can beat has tangible benefits(money, fame, extended season, rest if you beat them sooner, more practice time, etc)...what tangible gain do you get from weed?

As far as Perish, or even if Kobe smokes...to me it is saying they could have done more and been better had they chosen not to.

And thats bull about they have to live their lives too. with the money they have, there are plenty of things to do, and people to do things with. Weed is not the only means of relaxation. if its their choice, w/e. but I dont have to agree with it nor do they have to agree with me nor care wat i think.

HAVE YOU EVER SMOKED!!!!!

Trust me if smoke smokes weed and is a loser/bum...It isnt the weed...Its the person..They'd be a loser/bum if they were sober 24/7. Weed doesnt stop you from getting up and going about your bidness!!

I think you need to smoke a fat blunt....then come back into the thread.

Nighthawk
10-09-2008, 04:25 PM
why is he a dirtball? He is arrogant, but all players at that level are and should be. He is selfish in the sense that he wants to win, and will do w/e it takes to push his teammates to be better(even if that means degrade them). Outside that last thing, what makes him a bad guy?

R

A

P

E

:p

barreleffact
10-09-2008, 04:32 PM
R

A

P

E

:p

LOL....:rolleyes:shut up...he did not rape that girl. does anyone seriously believe he raped her? i mean come on:speechless: LOL

$ NyC $
10-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Light it up man, every1 in NY does it loll go around Queens my hood was crazy

Chronz
ok REAL QUICK before I go to work

No, Im not impling that. I know EVERYONE high ranking or low smokes weed. Its ignorant to say that one race, nationality, culture, wealth status, etc are the only ones. Ive known a lot of people that could have gone further had they not gotten caught up in weed...which is a drug. the word drug just always gets taken in a negative conotation. It isnt a bad drug. its far better than crack, pcp, meth, etc but still, it is a drug.

Yea I didnt read your earlier posts, I misjudged you. But there are different definitions of what constitutes a DRUG. It alters your mindstate so people say that alone qualifies it, if thats what your talking about but Im ok with that sense you recognize that it is nothing like what I consider hard drugs. You can break down weed to a molecular level but thats more botonism than being chemically altered like those hard drugs.

Many successful people, and probably quite a few CEO's even smoke, but it just says something about their character to me. just like to you, losing to have a better playoff matchup speaks volume about character...weed speaks volumes about players to me. the difference is, tanking to play a team you can beat has tangible benefits(money, fame, extended season, rest if you beat them sooner, more practice time, etc)...what tangible gain do you get from weed?

Quick question, why do you associate marijuana users with ANY kind of prejudice when youve just acknowledged that it has no identity. It shouldnt define your character because thats not what weed does.

Weed helps with glaucoma, ocd, siezures, cancer, anorexia the possibilities are endless the power of the mind is quite strong and to some marijuana helps them regulate that power. But if your talking from a strictly recreational purpose then it serves as a great social bonding activity no different than having a drink of coffee or watching a basketball game, in fact it only adds to the enjoyment of those.

This is becoming a common occurence with you, it seems to me you think you know whats best for every player imagineable, Kareem is the all-time leader in PTS Produced, I bet you think he couldve done more as well.

And thats bull about they have to live their lives too.
aHAHAHAHAHA Im sorry man, I know you probably have a point and are going somewhere with this but that was just a really bad way to start it. It just sounds funny.... **** their lives ... lol

with the money they have, there are plenty of things to do, and people to do things with. Weed is not the only means of relaxation. if its their choice, w/e. but I dont have to agree with it nor do they have to agree with me nor care wat i think.

Nevermind there was no point, its because of the money they have that they can enjoy weed even more, I cant even begin to dream of the kind of weed I would be smoking it I had millions upon millions of dollars.

Weed is not the only means of relaxation? Who said it was?

$ NyC $
but bro theres a diff between lighting it up occasionally and between ODn it (over-doin)

$ NyC $
10-09-2008, 04:37 PM
but also..recently and i aint lien..my cuz has become addicted 2 that **** and its ruining my uncles family.

BoltLakerPadre
10-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Regularly, in the off season, or have before in their life? I'd say at least 50% have before in their life.

barreleffact
10-09-2008, 04:55 PM
ok REAL QUICK before I go to work

Yea I didnt read your earlier posts, I misjudged you. But there are different definitions of what constitutes a DRUG. It alters your mindstate so people say that alone qualifies it, if thats what your talking about but Im ok with that sense you recognize that it is nothing like what I consider hard drugs. You can break down weed to a molecular level but thats more botonism than being chemically altered like those hard drugs.

Quick question, why do you associate marijuana users with ANY kind of prejudice when youve just acknowledged that it has no identity. It shouldnt define your character because thats not what weed does.

Weed helps with glaucoma, ocd, siezures, cancer, anorexia the possibilities are endless the power of the mind is quite strong and to some marijuana helps them regulate that power. But if your talking from a strictly recreational purpose then it serves as a great social bonding activity no different than having a drink of coffee or watching a basketball game, in fact it only adds to the enjoyment of those.

This is becoming a common occurence with you, it seems to me you think you know whats best for every player imagineable, Kareem is the all-time leader in PTS Produced, I bet you think he couldve done more as well.

aHAHAHAHAHA Im sorry man, I know you probably have a point and are going somewhere with this but that was just a really bad way to start it. It just sounds funny.... **** their lives ... lol

Nevermind there was no point, its because of the money they have that they can enjoy weed even more, I cant even begin to dream of the kind of weed I would be smoking it I had millions upon millions of dollars.

Weed is not the only means of relaxation? Who said it was?

Lol...ur a funny guy. this whole discussion is having me rollin

The biggest diss I have against weed, probably would be solved if weed was legalized. Ive just seen a lot of people lose their jobs, go to jail, be on probation. a lot of things. A few former close friends of mine have lost a lot and had some major set back because of 1 bad occurence. I just dont think you should risk it, esp at the nba level. granted celebs can get away with anything almost.

even not from a jail prospective, ive seen star athletes that have had scholarships ready, lose them. Ive seen people that were so dedicated before they started smokin weed, lose their edge, determination, work ethic just because they smoked too much. it happens. some players maybe can handle it, but I look at it as, if every occurrence ive seen of an athlete smoking always ended with reduced abilities, then what if they didnt smoke.

I cant say anything negative about Kareem...he was an outstanding talent to say the least.

MiamiHeat
10-09-2008, 04:57 PM
:pity:
The Blazers....

JIDsanity
10-09-2008, 05:04 PM
I'd say a fair 70%

MiamiHeat
10-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Wow that's ridiculous
just because the majority of the NBA players are black
doesn't mean they all smoke just :pity: on all of you

Beno7500
10-09-2008, 05:10 PM
31-50%

Chris Webber and Jason Williams used to get high all the time together.

Beno7500
10-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Wow that's ridiculous
just because the majority of the NBA players are black
doesn't mean they all smoke just :pity: on all of you

oh shut up.

LAKERS 24/7
10-09-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm just gonna say a few things about the subject. I used to be a pretty big pothead a year back and still light it up occasionally, so I'd say I'm pretty familiar with it.

It is not a drug, that is bullshite. Drugs kill, marijuana saves. There are so many positive effects that it would take too long to list them all. The only negative things that I could say about it is that I do believe it makes you slightly dumber. I don't know if its because it kills you brain cells or if you just become lazier and not want to study. Either way, I believe that is the only negative effect it could have. That being said, I know a lot of very smart potheads as well as stupid ones. My dream is for it to one day be legalized, that would make life so much better its not even funny.

About Kobe, I HIGHLY doubt he smokes weed at all, maybe a couple times a year at most. His entire life revolves around the game, and weed could have negative effects in that manner. It could effect his lung capacity and/or his work ethic possibly. I know when I was a pothead I didn't want to do **** but smoke eat sleep and play video games. I heard Kobe say in an interview a while back that he doesn't even drink, because it wouldn't help him play ball. I doubt thats true, he probably drinks once in a while at least.

crew158
10-09-2008, 06:59 PM
I think 45% of the general public smokes. I have been floored by some of the people ive met who smoke. Lawyers, doctors, moms, pops, people I work with, Repubs and Dems, people you would never suspect. So I say about 50%+. NBA players have a lot of free time and money.

cmellofan15
10-09-2008, 07:12 PM
MiamiHeat: Andersen got caught and he's white so what's your point?

and race has nothing to do with blazin' it's all about where your from and what you've expierienced. Now would you expect someone like Etan Thomas (a published writer) to smoke weed or would you expect Ron Artest (someone from QB with some anger issues) to blaze?

Rome
10-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Personally I do smoke on occasion and find nothing wrong with it, and I certainly don't give a rats *** if NBA players do. Well as long as its not too obvious and they're not playing normal and you can tell their baked. They are human and can do what they want in their free time and with their money.

I know if I was in the NBA right now I'd be blazzin with Drose Beasley, Josh Howard, etc. Whoever smokes lol.

Ima say about 60% plus smoke. I think a lot of veterans have gotten past that stage and some stars just don't because there afraid of getin caught.

Beno7500
10-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Beasley always looks blazed.

Nighthawk
10-09-2008, 08:20 PM
In the article i posted a couple pages back Charles Oakley said some players smoked before games...Id love to go back and watch those games and see if any of the players looked BAKED out of their minds..Lol...Ive played ball high before. And its not hard but it def isnt the same.I dont kno how they could play professional NBA ball high..THEY TRULY OUR THE WORLDS BEST BALLERS!!

theuuord
10-09-2008, 08:23 PM
lol, weed isn't a drug.

nyy27
10-09-2008, 08:43 PM
i was going to say close to 85%. some of you are so naive.

harris2carter
10-09-2008, 08:45 PM
no way that the top superstars smoke on the regular if they did they wouldnt be able to play all those mins well

harris2carter
10-09-2008, 08:46 PM
i wouldn't be surprised if steave nash blazed jk

harris2carter
10-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Beasley always looks blazed.

beasley looks dirty with his dirty brown hair

breedlove2drug
10-09-2008, 09:01 PM
for sure kevin martin does it

Bruno
10-09-2008, 09:11 PM
To be realistic, these are guys, mainly in their twenties. How much of the population 20-29 smokes at least a few times a year? Definitely a big percentage, over 50%

BarryIsInnocent
10-09-2008, 09:24 PM
A couple years ago when the warriors made the playoffs. Baron davis and Jason Richardson did an interview on TNT and they were blazed out of there minds. I wish someone had the link.

DenButsu
10-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Over 50. For sure.

Nighthawk
10-09-2008, 10:50 PM
A couple years ago when the warriors made the playoffs. Baron davis and Jason Richardson did an interview on TNT and they were blazed out of there minds. I wish someone had the link.

Same here.....Wish i could see that ****...lol

KnicksWin
10-09-2008, 10:51 PM
After this year's draft class it went up to 31-50%. Thanks, "hurry up and flush" Beasley! lol

But, seriously IMO the NBA is a snapshot of what is really going on. As long as it is going on in America it will be going on in pro sports, not just the NBA...

pete_one
10-09-2008, 10:57 PM
jordan farmar blazed me out in the UCLA dorms once...

zambo4president
10-09-2008, 11:07 PM
420%

IversonIsKrazy
10-09-2008, 11:11 PM
if its tried in their lifetime, then more than 50%. if its like frequently or sumthin, then i'd gotta go w/ 20%-30%.

zambo4president
10-09-2008, 11:18 PM
but for real though 50% or more is rollin the dankies. if you got money you know you got connects and your gettin hooked up, personally i think paul pierce rips the bong like a mad man. also corey brewer, jason terry, thabo sefalosha, melo, noah, chalmers, arthurs and beasley and howard as we already know, ricky davis, udonis haslem, shawn marion, nate robinson, brian scalbrine haha, jermaine o`neal, danny granger, steve francis, chuck hayes, bobby simmons, quentin richardson, alando tucker, ronny turiaf, javaris crittenton, mike conley, josh smith, mike bibby, marko "the pornstar" jaric, joe smith, rippp hamilton, jerry stackhouse, marcus williams i could keep going but i don`t feel like it

DenButsu
10-09-2008, 11:50 PM
420%

You win.

JIDsanity
10-10-2008, 12:01 AM
but for real though 50% or more is rollin the dankies. if you got money you know you got connects and your gettin hooked up, personally i think paul pierce rips the bong like a mad man. also corey brewer, jason terry, thabo sefalosha, melo, noah, chalmers, arthurs and beasley and howard as we already know, ricky davis, udonis haslem, shawn marion, nate robinson, brian scalbrine haha, jermaine o`neal, danny granger, steve francis, chuck hayes, bobby simmons, quentin richardson, alando tucker, ronny turiaf, javaris crittenton, mike conley, josh smith, mike bibby, marko "the pornstar" jaric, joe smith, rippp hamilton, jerry stackhouse, marcus williams i could keep going but i don`t feel like it

Jason Terry looks like he does it daily

JIDsanity
10-10-2008, 12:02 AM
However I don't see Marion doing it. He's too much of a (fill the blank)

barreleffact
10-10-2008, 12:07 AM

Yet you failed to name one true superstar unless you count marion and pierce

richardle9
10-10-2008, 12:07 AM
i dont think josh howard smokes weed(joke)

nstachowski
10-10-2008, 12:40 AM
420%

damn strait!!!

kobynum2417
10-10-2008, 01:15 AM
if it doesnt affect play. then go right ahead.

SAVAGE CLAW
10-10-2008, 01:23 AM
How many people smokes weed in the states? 30% 50%? they are people in the end so the percentage will be pretty similar.

And the percentage of them that has at least Tried once must be like 99%.

Its time to legalize.

JR-FIGHTER
10-10-2008, 01:52 AM
LOL....:rolleyes:shut up...he did not rape that girl. does anyone seriously believe he raped her? i mean come on:speechless: LOL

probably ****ed her but not rape her!

Boozerguy47
10-10-2008, 02:23 AM
Wow, 50% or more, that is a joke. I say 15-20%.

JR-FIGHTER
10-10-2008, 02:24 AM
420%

yes

JR-FIGHTER
10-10-2008, 02:24 AM
ill say 95% though realisticly

Mallpha
10-10-2008, 02:38 AM
I think occasionaly 31-50% frequently i dont think more than 15% i wonder how many have alcohol abuse problems remaber i did read once some where that Keon Clark never played a game sober.

barreleffact
10-10-2008, 08:06 AM
probably ****ed her but not rape her!

exactly. i definately think he had sex w her but rape? nah

BkOriginalOne
10-10-2008, 08:44 AM

The "Hip Hop nature of the sport" what does that supposed to mean? When you hear Hip Hop do you think, weed? that's messed up haha.
I suppoed the Rock and Roll nature of football does LSD btw plays or something.

Anyways. You guys are over exaggerating. You're basically saying that half of the NBA's athletes (people were tested in college and in the NBA) smoke weed,. That's absurd. Name one team in the NBA where you could see half of the players smoking weed.
Nuggets: maybe ai, melo, kmart (he has a stuttering problem) and birdman is reformed.
The 2000 blazers probably lit up all the time
the showtime lakers probably got high quite a bit

i think management does it more than the players. Someone had to high for that Gasol deal to go through.

TMAC94
10-10-2008, 09:22 AM
i rkn alot do, they prob do it often in the offseason, i think maurbury smokes it frequently!

Seventh King
10-10-2008, 09:26 AM
I'm thinking its around half or better .. .

HOZ THE KNICK
10-10-2008, 09:29 AM
the refs. even smoke with some of those calls they make.

TheFuture6
10-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Strong speculation.

TMAC94
10-10-2008, 09:56 AM
really

id be 90% sure kobe smokes it.

bartlett2266
10-10-2008, 10:14 AM
hey hey hey smoke weed everyday

Rome
10-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Ha that's ones question I would bring up to an NBA player if I was kickin it with them and their friends.

"hey Mark madsen, you want to spark up a blunt?" :)

DirtyThirty
10-10-2008, 10:16 AM
LOL definately the starting 5 of my pacers were on it no doubt id say 11 of the 13 players

Rome
10-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Let's do top 5 NBA players you'd want to smoke with. If you don't smoke then top 5 you'd want to drink with. If you don't do either.... Carry on.

1: Alando Tucker
2: Shaq
3: Robin Lopez
4: agent zero
5: Mark madsen

Others: Josh Howard, Yao Ming haha, skip to my Lou, bayless, beasley and most of the coming in rooks. Greg oden would be hilarious.

JIDsanity
10-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Let's do top 5 NBA players you'd want to smoke with. If you don't smoke then top 5 you'd want to drink with. If you don't do either.... Carry on.

Others: Josh Howard, Yao Ming haha, skip to my Lou, bayless, beasley and most of the coming in rooks. Greg oden would be hilarious.

Shaq man Shaq

JIDsanity
10-10-2008, 11:26 AM
jordan farmar blazed me out in the UCLA dorms once...

lol

LA412
10-10-2008, 12:01 PM
trust me......at least 80% of NBA players smoke weed..........if you think any different you are just being naive

Kianwe
10-10-2008, 01:59 PM

I like this idea,
1. Shaq
2. Yao Ming
3. Greg Oden (what wouldn't be funny about smoking with a kid who looks like your grandpa?)
4. Bosh (with a video camera handy)
5. David Stern

haircanada
10-10-2008, 02:08 PM
ob

IndyRealist
10-10-2008, 02:20 PM
I read in a Bill Simmons article that the NBA labor agreement has a stipulation that the league can NOT test its players for it in their "random" drug tests.

David Harrison was suspended last year for 5 games for failing 3 random drug tests in a three (?) year period. While the drug tests are not publicized when they happen, the penalty for 3 failures is consistent with the penalty for weed. So yes, they do test for it.

As for a percentage, I'd go with, "The same as the rest of the country." There's a good portion of people you would never think smoke weed, then light up when they get home from work. There's a larger portion of the population who've tried it a few times and don't smoke now. The majority, (and yes, it's still the majority) wouldn't know the first thing about where to get any, let alone have ever smoked it. 20%

DeeJay
10-10-2008, 02:48 PM
We have a new Cheech and Chong in Dallas... :)

The Pacers have reportedly agreed to trade Shawne Williams to the Mavericks for two second-round draft picks and cash.
The Pacers continue to clean house, ridding themselves of another felony-prone troublemaker. Williams won't have a fantasy impact with the Mavericks and will be hard-pressed to earn more than spot minutes. Two second-round picks and some cash is actually a good deal for Indiana, since Williams' trade value was low and the Pacers were eager to unload him. Next up: Jamaal Tinsley.
Source: Indianapolis Star

king4day
10-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Robin Lopez isn't, but I hear people like to smoke his hair

I think as much as 30% is fair to say since a majority of the league is young and reckless.
Not saying they're potheads, but at least try it on occasion.

I bet Steve Nash leads that bunch ;)

MiamiHeat
10-10-2008, 03:04 PM
I don't smoke,never will

UD5soul
10-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Zero %

rainmanegbert2
10-10-2008, 03:30 PM
ya i can see dwill and cp3 smokin weed togther haha. NBA players got the money and the time in the offseason to party and smoke. Also i know people who smoke weed and it doesnt even affect how they show up play bball high and workout lol.. so for a lot of people it doesnt even matter. its gotta be over 50% of the league which is crazy to think

rainmanegbert2
10-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Name players from your favorite team that you THINK do it? its over 50 percent

Almond, Morris- Probably
Boozer, Carlos-yes
Brewer, Ronnie-Ya
Collins, Jarron-haha no, but i guess maybe him a jason blaze it at family reunions
Fesenko, Kyrylo- HeII ya
Harpring, Matt- no, maybe when he was younger or to make his knee feel better
Kirilenko, Andrei- yes
Knight, Brevin-no
Korver, Kyle- yes
Koufos, Kosta-maybe
Miles, CJ- heII ya
Millsap, Paul-yes
Okur, Mehmet-YES
Price, Ronnie-yes
Williams, Deron- for sure!!!

Frank Costanza
10-10-2008, 03:56 PM
I don't smoke,never will

try it badru, youre in miami they import some good island stuff there, put a gram in a nice philly, go to south beach hit up niki beach club and smoke that rifa right

Chronz
10-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Lol...ur a funny guy. this whole discussion is having me rollin

The biggest diss I have against weed, probably would be solved if weed was legalized. Ive just seen a lot of people lose their jobs, go to jail, be on probation. a lot of things. A few former close friends of mine have lost a lot and had some major set back because of 1 bad occurence. I just dont think you should risk it, esp at the nba level. granted celebs can get away with anything almost.

even not from a jail prospective, ive seen star athletes that have had scholarships ready, lose them. Ive seen people that were so dedicated before they started smokin weed, lose their edge, determination, work ethic just because they smoked too much. it happens. some players maybe can handle it, but I look at it as,

I cant say anything negative about Kareem...he was an outstanding talent to say the least.

The NBA doesnt even care about weed, Josh Howard is a testament to that. They arent going to get into trouble so whats the risk? And yes weed should be legalized but I think it has something to do with drug companies not being able to profit off of natural herbs or something like that, anyways heres the thing. Weed DID NOT cause them to lose their edge, thats the INDIVIDUALS fault.

f every occurrence ive seen of an athlete smoking always ended with reduced abilities, then what if they didnt smoke.
Name them, 100% not the weeds fault, and how can you say EVERY occurrence as if you have a blacklist of who does and doesnt smoke. Chances are several players you love smoke, you just dont know it. Again WEED doesnt = reduced performance, in fact Ive gotten my best grades on test when Ive smoked, obviously weed didnt put the answers into my head but it did help me focus and remember.

29$JerZ
10-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Probably 70 percent have smoked weed, 40 percent still do :shrug:

Goon.Weezy
10-10-2008, 05:02 PM
i have a feelin steve nash does.... he's from vancouver.......and vancouver has the best kush, weed, pot, ganja.. or whtever u wanna call it

philab
10-10-2008, 06:14 PM
I think we should start celebrating Nuggets-Blazers games accordingly . . .

I went with 31-50%. These arguments that you can't be an elite player or hard-worker and smoke are crazy. First, you can lift, shoot, even play high without much of a problem. Second, just because you smoke doesn't mean you're high all day, everday. Some of these guys might partake only at night after they put in their work for the day and not every day either.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
10-10-2008, 06:22 PM
50%+

theuuord
10-10-2008, 11:30 PM
I don't smoke,never will

LOL. yeah, you're better than that, right?:rolleyes: