PDA

View Full Version : Cavs' Pavlovic ready to start over

Sbank
10-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Cavs' Pavlovic ready to start over
To Sasha Pavlovic, last year didn’t exist.

The veteran swingman missed all of training camp last season when he was locked into a contract dispute with the Cavaliers.

He’s come into the 2008-09 season in a better frame of mind.

Pavlovic started at shooting guard on Tuesday in the Cavs’ 104-84 loss to the Toronto Raptors in the preseason opener for both teams.

“I missed training camp, and I think that’s a big part of the season,” he said. “It helps you get ready. This is a new season. I want to forget last year.”

The Serbian native is a candidate to start at shooting guard for a team that fashions itself as an Eastern Conference title contender.

But Coach Mike Brown cautioned not to make too much of the move. He said he might start Wally Szczerbiak or even Tarence Kinsey in upcoming games.

When it’s all said and done, some think Delonte West could be the starting “2.” West remained out of camp to deal with a family matter.

“I’m going to get a feel (for the position),” Brown said. “We still have a while.”

Pavlovic isn’t known for his playmaking abilities, but he dished out four assists. The 6-foot-7, 235-pounder added five points, one rebound and one block.

“I know Coach believes in me,” he said. “I’m going to do my best to help my team.”

Pavlovic said he isn’t thinking about the starting job.

“We just have to play together as a team,” he said. “Whatever it takes. We’re trying to win a championship.”

Pavlovic is listed at 235 pounds. He said he lost about 10 pounds.

Guard Mo Williams played his first game at Quicken Loans Arena since joining the Cavs. He had 12 points and four rebounds and pushed the ball up the court.

“We have to know how to run and when to run,” Brown said. “If an easy look isn’t available, we should go into our early offense.”

Center Zydrunas Ilgauskas paced the Cavs with 16 points and six rebounds.

Many came off pick-and-rolls with Williams.

“Mo is a tough cover when you play pick-and-roll with him,” Brown said. “He’s a danger to shoot behind it or turn the corner. When he came off the pick-and-roll, Mo made the right pass back to Z.

“Z got some good looks. When he gets a chance to set his feet from 19-20 feet, he’s pretty good.”

Forward LeBron James played just eight minutes and managed only one point.

Quick shots

James said he expects to play between 38 and 40 minutes per game this season.

“We’ll see how the season goes,” he said.

James said whenever he sees one of his Olympic teammates it gives him a special feeling. He faced Toronto’s Chris Bosh on Tuesday.

“It’s because of all the hard work we put into it and all the dedication and time we committed to it,” James said. “It’s good to see him, of course.”

An industry source said Fox Sports Ohio (formerly FSN Ohio) will broadcast 68 of 70 games in high definition this season. The other 12 games are nationally televised games, which will also be in HD.

Center Lorenzen Wright was a late scratch on Tuesday because of ingrown toenails.

Forward/center Anderson Varejao was able to play despite a strained quad. Evidently, he’s grown since last season as the Cavs now list him at 6-11, 260.

Fox Sports Ohio analyst Austin Carr had his right knee replaced in the offseason. It was the same knee that troubled him when he played for the Cavs.

News-Herald (http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2008/10/08/sports/doc48ec401ca341a451353281.txt)
If Pavlovic can play like he did before the contract hold out last year our team going to be scary with Gibson, West, Wally and Hickson coming off the bench.

Cavs_Fan24
10-08-2008, 08:27 PM
Hopefully Sasha can really show us something this season.

IndiansFan337
10-10-2008, 11:16 AM
I went to the Wine & Gold scrimmage last weekend & he looked the same as last year. He shot an air ball on a mid range shot (He was the only player to shoot an air ball). He missed 2 or 3 layups too. He made 1 or 2 tough shots in traffic, but I think that he only finished with about 6 points or so. And he was one of his team's go-to scoring options. LeBron only played about 5 minutes in the scrimmage.

I think Brown will start one of the bigger SG's (Wally or Sasha), but Gibson will score so much that he'll get as much or more PT than the veterans. I can see Wally/Sasha starting & only getting 20-25 mpg, while Gibson gets 25 mpg. I really like how we now have all of these guys that can hit the 3 (Gibson, Wally, Mo Williams). Now we can rely less on mediocre shooters like Sasha.

23LBJCleBrowns
10-10-2008, 12:23 PM
I am expecting a lot from him this season. He is a very good player and nobody realizes it. I hope that this season he proves why we got him. And he becomes a 15 point scorer every game.

Hermie13
10-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Pav needs to step it up big time this year. He'll likely see a lot of time at the 3 as well......wish we could somehow peddle him for a nice 4, but not likely to happen....

This team has too many guards....