PDA

View Full Version : Starting lineup?

ryguy2k7
10-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Who will start at small forward is the question.

PG - Foye/Bassy
SG - Miller/McCants
SF - (Carney?...Brewer?...)
PF - Love
C - Jefferson

what do you cuties think?

jwin2005
10-08-2008, 05:07 PM
My main lineup which I hope they keep as much as they can would be
Foye
McCants
Miller
Love
Jefferson

The real question is how much do you guys think Brewer, Gomes, and Carney should play?

IowaAJ
10-08-2008, 11:46 PM
The only problem I see is who is going to guard the best scorer on the other team. Miller is not a great defender so I don't know how we defend Kobe, or Melo, Brandon Roy, there are a lot of good scorers in our conference so we need to at least contain the top scorers in our conference to get a lot of wins.

To answer your question Jwin I think Gomes will get a lot of minutes because of his versatility in that he can play the 4 and we can go small or he could playt the 3 and we have a big lineup, I like the options he provides for us. The guy I really don't know about yet is Carney I think he could get some minutes against teams that don't like to run that often like the spurs he could provide a lot of energy off the bench with a dunk or a 3 pointer. Brewer is our best defender and he is going to need to play a lot of minutes vs the top scorers in the league.

Right now this would be my starting lineup due to defense

Pg Foye
Sg Miller
SF Brewer
PF Love
C Jefferson

A Big lineup and a better defensive lineup with Brewer plus you have good outside shooters with Foye and Love and Miller to build around Jefferson so the defense can't just double team. We will need Brewer to hit his shot at least well enough so the defense can't just double team off of him all the time if he makes them pay.

6th man McCants
7th man Smith
8th man Telfair
9th man Gomes
10th man Carney
11th man Richard or Collins
12th man Ollie

2nd linup in the game

Pg Foye
SG McCants
SF Miller
PF Smith
C Jefferson

McCants in for Brewer gives us a quick scoring punch off the bench and Smith scores so well in the low post and I like Smith and Jefferson on the low block. You have three outside shooters around Jefferson and Smith who will be on the low block.

3rd lineup

Pg Telfair
sg Carney
sf Brewer
Pf Smith
C Richard

A little more of a transition lineup with Telfairs speed and Carney and Brewer on the wings could produce a lot of fast break points.

These our my 3 lineups at least to start

then the 4th lineup go

Pg Foye
SG Miller
Sf Gomes
PF Love
C Jefferson

Gives us a bigger lineup vs some of the bigger teams we probably will see collins or Richard come in for Jefferson but I am not sure yet.

Hawkeye15
10-09-2008, 12:46 AM
what is the deal with no respect for Gomes guys??
Foye
Miller
Brewer
Love
Jefferson

6-McCants
7-Gomes

both play 25 mpg at least

8-Smith
9-Telfair
10-Carney

PurpleJesus
10-09-2008, 03:00 AM
telfair has to be get atg least 20 mpg to relieve foye and also let him play some 2, so i think telfair is right behind McCants in the lineup, also i think that smith should steal about 15mpg from the rookie love, and about 7 from Big A, Gomez takes about 5 pg from PF and about 15 from SF

PurpleJesus
10-09-2008, 03:02 AM
we have a lot of talent, it will be interesting to see who gets minutes this year, although i am sur bassy will get at least 20, and McCants 25

my starting five i wish
Foye
McCants
Miller
Love
Jeff

PurpleJesus
10-09-2008, 03:04 AM
geez, i really think we are going places this year

boeknows
10-09-2008, 05:16 AM
I think our best starting linup would be

Foye
Miller
Gomes
Love
Jefferson

or

Telfair
Foye
Miller
Love
Jefferson

Preuss-is-right
10-09-2008, 07:57 AM
who will start at small forward is the question.

Pg - foye/bassy
sg - miller/mccants
sf - (carney?...brewer?...)
pf - love
c - jefferson

wtf???

thesparky33
10-09-2008, 01:46 PM
I think opening game, we will have a starting lineup of:

PG: Foye
SG: Miller
SF: Gomes
PF: Love
C : Jefferson

(Either Love and Jefferson or Jefferson and Madsen IMO, depends if Love works his way into starting)

I think McCants will be best used as a 6th man, and Telly will be used a lot, with Foye out on the court as well. We have a lot of guards who should get heavy minutes with Foye, Telfair, McCants and Miller, so I'd think that would be a reason to slide Miller to SF most of the season...

The Lizard King
10-09-2008, 01:48 PM

I hope you aren't a guy.

The Lizard King
10-09-2008, 01:50 PM
I think opening game, we will have a starting lineup of:

PG: Foye
SG: Miller
SF: Gomes
PF: Love
C : Jefferson

Unless Carney, Bass, McCants or Brewer step it up big in the preseason, this sounds about right. Not a bad lineup if you ask me.

ryguy2k7
10-09-2008, 04:57 PM
hahaha. calling you guys cuties was only to make you all feel incredibly uncomfortable.

joke.

I say if Brewer nails his shots in the preseason, he gets the starting SF and Miller goes to SG with Foye at PG.

Love and Jeff should start. Smith backs up Love and Gomes backs up Brewer.

The Lizard King
10-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Gomes backs up Brewer.

I don't see this happening unless Brewer shows drastic improvement this preseason.

PurpleJesus
10-09-2008, 05:49 PM
I don't see this happening unless Brewer shows drastic improvement this preseason.

its just preseason remember, nothing matters:)

The Lizard King
10-09-2008, 05:57 PM
I know you're joking around, but seriously, I never said the preseason didn't matter or nothing anyone does in the preseason matters. I simply said 5-8 in the preseason is nothing to write home about.

Hawkeye15
10-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Foye
Miller
Brewer
Love
Jefferson

6-McCants
7-Gomes
8-Smith
9-Telfair
10-Carney

This should be our rotation

The Lizard King
10-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Why is Brewer starting over Gomes?? Taylor said himself that the players who play the best at their respective posistions will see the most playing time. As opposed to last year when we would play Brewer just because he was a rookie and he needed the experience, he now needs to EARN that spot.

I'm not sure I would give Brewer the SF spot over Carney, let alone Gomes right now. he needs to prove alot this preseason for me to change that viewpoint.

thesparky33
10-10-2008, 11:13 PM
IMO, Brewer is still really far away from being a big contributor to our team, and also pretty far away from being a starter at that.

Last year he showed lots of promise, and he had a few games where he played great, but more times than not he looked like a lost rookie, and his offensive game (or lack thereof) was and will be too much of a liability IMO.

I like the style of play he brings, the scrappy defense and hustle, but to say he should or will start over Gomes, or even McCants is a little too much IMO... I think he'll improve, but not that much...

jwin2005
10-10-2008, 11:51 PM
We can argue this SF position all day long, but at the end of the day the Wolves are still very weak in our lineup

We know for sure Miller, Foye, and Jefferson will step up and lead this team

The rest of the team is pretty weak. Love seems to be the next guy who can join those 3 guys, but the rest of the team seems like they are not ready to be great or even good players. I think McCants is ready if he proves his defense is worthy to play. Otherwise I am sorry to say but we are in for another fairly long season.

PurpleJesus
10-11-2008, 12:19 PM
their are planty of people that can step up outside of the 4 you mentioned, also since when has it been bad gto have 4 reliable guys on your team?
There are some really talented players that arent going to get to much playing time this year

fabian11593
10-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Foye
Miller
Brewer
Love
Jefferson
Brewer for defense and athleticism.

The Lizard King
10-11-2008, 03:11 PM
We can argue this SF position all day long, but at the end of the day the Wolves are still very weak in our lineup

This lineup has a ton of potential. I don't know where you get the word "weak" from.

We know for sure Miller, Foye, and Jefferson will step up and lead this team

The rest of the team is pretty weak. Love seems to be the next guy who can join those 3 guys, but the rest of the team seems like they are not ready to be great or even good players. I think McCants is ready if he proves his defense is worthy to play. Otherwise I am sorry to say but we are in for another fairly long season.

I love the optimism. There is no reasoning behind your assumption we will have a "long season".

jwin2005
10-11-2008, 04:55 PM
after watching two of the preseason games i have plenty to assume

you may be optimistic.. be as much as you want... the team hasnt grown leaps and bounds like you think

the only thing is that McCants if he gets minutes has grown a ton going into his 4th season.. otherwise Miller is the only other bright spot

Love is still very raw and his ceiling is not THAT high.. he may be a 10/10 guy but not much more... I am still holding my belief that Beasley was the only guy who could have helped us get to the level of a playoff team... maybe next year

The Lizard King
10-11-2008, 08:33 PM
I'm not unrealistically optimistic. I think you are unrealistically pessimistic.

boeknows
10-11-2008, 09:48 PM
after watching two of the preseason games i have plenty to assume

you may be optimistic.. be as much as you want... the team hasnt grown leaps and bounds like you think

the only thing is that McCants if he gets minutes has grown a ton going into his 4th season.. otherwise Miller is the only other bright spot

Love is still very raw and his ceiling is not THAT high.. he may be a 10/10 guy but not much more... I am still holding my belief that Beasley was the only guy who could have helped us get to the level of a playoff team... maybe next year

How has McCants grown a ton?

Oefarmy2005
10-12-2008, 03:53 AM
Some how Jwin hates the wolves but also likes McCants who is one of my least favorite players on the team, due to his character that I can see. I think he should take McCants and go to some forum where someone might give a crap about what he thinks.

jwin2005
10-12-2008, 11:09 AM
how about you go take your favorite player Gomes and start building a team around him

I will take McCants and start a team over your Gomes any day!

McCants would be your least favorite player... you cant take any negativity in your perfect little world you live... in Maple Grove... I know a lot of people who think McCants is a huge part of our future.. and you think Gomes is.. what a joke

jwin2005
10-12-2008, 11:36 AM
McCants is stepping it up on defense during preseason and is showing he can step it up in the 4th.. two games ago he forced the other team to foul him 4 times in the 4th quarter giving the Wolves 8 free points at the line.. he is a leader in the making

Oefarmy2005
10-12-2008, 12:08 PM
First off, don't diss me because I put the town I live in, and don't be jelous of me in maple grove.

Second, I never said I like Gomes, I honestly couldn't care less about either of them being our future, I just said that I don't like McCants.

Third, McCants will never be anything on defence, he's just not capable of stopping anyone in this legue.

The Lizard King
10-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Some how Jwin hates the wolves but also likes McCants who is one of my least favorite players on the team, due to his character that I can see. I think he should take McCants and go to some forum where someone might give a crap about what he thinks.

I care what everyone thinks, no matter how consistently wrong they may be.

McCants will never be anything on defence

Never??

I'm sure you don't realize this, but there have been players in NBA history who came into the league with a poor defensive game, who have tought themselves to be very good defensively. Where there's a will there's a way. He has the phtisical ability to be a good defender, what he needs to do is really work at it, and everything will fall into place. It's more mental than it is physical.

Never, seems like an over the top statement.

he's just not capable of stopping anyone in this legue.

Anyone??

I'm sure you can find a player in the NBA who is worse Offensively than McCants is Defensively.

The Lizard King
10-12-2008, 07:09 PM
I am still holding my belief that Beasley was the only guy who could have helped us get to the level of a playoff team... maybe next year

Our goal is not to be a playoff team this year, it's to build a team who will compete for years to come.

JBoog35
10-12-2008, 08:31 PM
I'm sure you don't realize this, but there have been players in NBA history who came into the league with a poor defensive game, who have tought themselves to be very good defensively.

Trenton Hassel came into the league as an offensive guard... made him self a D stopper... p.s., defense is about will power and attitude. It's not like a coach is going to ask McCants to guard Tim Duncan. McCants has all the physical tools necessary to be a good defender. He just has to choose to put more effort and attention into it.

Pg - Foye
sg - Miller
sf - Gomes
pf - Al Jefferson
c - Jason Collins (barring he actually plays the preseason)

I know picking Collins isn't a sexy pick, but he has legit size and Mad Dogg and the Rhino are better suited off the bench. Until Love breaks the starting lineup, I'm taking Collins as the starter at the C spot.

6th - McCants
7th - Love
8th - Bassy
9th - The Rhino
10th - Brewer
11th - Carney
12th - Richard, Booth, Harrison, Ollie, Mad Dogg (who ever's on the active roster?)

kambion
10-12-2008, 10:07 PM
what is the deal with no respect for Gomes guys??
Foye
Miller
Brewer
Love
Jefferson

6-McCants
7-Gomes

both play 25 mpg at least

8-Smith
9-Telfair
10-Carney
completely agree, there are going to be nights when love stuggles, gomes will have to fill in , and nights brewer cant score so mccants will play a lot, its going to be an interesting year, all the fat has been trimmed, now the players compete for who will lead the team...ive got a feeling the year will end with the starting lineup you suggest

Preuss-is-right
10-12-2008, 10:26 PM
I think our fast pace line-up will be our most effective line-up.
Telfair
Foye
Miller
Gomes
Jefferson

jwin2005
10-12-2008, 10:39 PM
[QUOTE=JBoog35;6980681]
Pg - Foye
sg - Miller
sf - Gomes
pf - Al Jefferson
c - Jason Collins (barring he actually plays the preseason)

I know picking Collins isn't a sexy pick, but he has legit size and Mad Dogg and the Rhino are better suited off the bench. Until Love breaks the starting lineup, I'm taking Collins as the starter at the C spot.[QUOTE=]

Collins is a fine pick for center... he has proven himself more than enough for the starting position. BUT he is out until December I believe and will probably not be back in basketball shape until January which REALLLY SUCKS!

I do not believe we have the right pieces that everyone thinks we do... it is my opinion that we are still missing something... Jefferson may be a beast but he needs a go to guy who can dominate such as a Kobe, Carmelo, or Lebron. Until we get a guy like that I don't think we can be a championship contendor. I do not see any of our current guys have the potential to be at that level.

Let's just hope we are a Blazer caliber team next year and we can attract Kobe, Lebron, Wade, or Bosh in 2010!

Oefarmy2005
10-12-2008, 11:54 PM
I believe that the lineup will look like this, at least at the start of the year:

pg - Foye
sg - Miller
sf - Brewer - because we do need a guy who can guard the best offensive player.
pf - Love
c - Jefferson

Although I would rather have Jefferson play PF and have some one else play center, but at this point I am expecting Harrison would start over Collins if anyone.

jwin2005
10-13-2008, 01:10 AM
well Telfair will for sure not be our starting point guard for at least the first two games... he is suspended

Lets hope McCants gets over his elbow injury

The Lizard King
10-13-2008, 01:18 AM
well Telfair will for sure not be our starting point guard for at least the first two games... he is suspended

Lets hope McCants gets over his elbow injury

Suspended for what?

Preuss-is-right
10-13-2008, 04:28 AM
http://www.twolvesblog.com/telfair-suspended-for-start-of-season.html

He's suspended because of the April 07 incident when he had a loaded handgun. We knew he was going to be suspended but we still signed him so its obviously not a big deal.

JBoog35
10-13-2008, 02:36 PM
If Collins is out til December this team is going to struggle guarding the bigs... Kevin Love will prove he can play offense, but like Al he will rebound enough to make fans forget how bad our interior D is. We really need a legit C...

PurpleJesus
10-13-2008, 11:57 PM
Telfair saiys he doesnt know if he is suspended, but there are reports coming out that he is.

Does anyone know when we get that foreign center, is it next year or the year after? He better be learning english too, i saw a thing on that iranian center playing for memphis (hadadi) he spoke no english and the coaches had a hard time having any communication with him.

I think getting a quality center into our lineup is key, which makes me wonder why we drafted love, if this foreign dude turns into a legit center, than we used the 3rd overall pick for a backup PF

WSU Tony
10-14-2008, 03:01 PM
When we could have had Mayo!

The Lizard King
10-14-2008, 03:37 PM
When we could have had Mayo!

:pity:

Don't start this again Tony, you know better.

The Lizard King
10-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Telfair saiys he doesnt know if he is suspended, but there are reports coming out that he is.

Does anyone know when we get that foreign center, is it next year or the year after? He better be learning english too, i saw a thing on that iranian center playing for memphis (hadadi) he spoke no english and the coaches had a hard time having any communication with him.

I think getting a quality center into our lineup is key, which makes me wonder why we drafted love, if this foreign dude turns into a legit center, than we used the 3rd overall pick for a backup PF

Mchale said himself he wouldn't have done the Mayo deal if it weren't for Miller being involved. Let's not forget that. Plus, Love is agile and can play SF. Imagine a big lineup of Foye, Miller, Love, Jefferson, and Pekovic in the future.

ryguy2k7
10-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Honestly, I can't wait till Pekovic comes to the Timberwolves in 2030.

That will boost our strength for the bigs. Move Jefferson to PF and switch off with Love.

Or something. We'll see.

The Lizard King
10-14-2008, 04:34 PM
I think it's 2028.

ryguy2k7
10-14-2008, 04:42 PM
I think it's 2028.

Yeah, I think you are right.

I round up sometimes.

jwin2005
10-14-2008, 05:03 PM
Pekovic may come to MN next year? When is his Euro contract expired?

Anyways here is some stuff on Kevin Love for rookie of the year
The D (Indy): Re: ROY -- no shot for K-Love, even with your PER projections from around draft time?

John Hollinger: Love is going to have difficulty gaining traction in that race because he's on a bad team, and because as much as I like him I don't think he'll touch Oden's production.

Phil (PDX): Give us your prediction for top three pics for ROY this year... please.

John Hollinger: Three, and exactly three, players will be in the running -- Greg Oden, Michael Beasley and Derrick Rose. Everyone else can forget about it. Smart money is on Oden since he had a year to bulk up.

Lamar (FAROCKAWAY NY): besides the blazer name another lottery team thats gonna be alot better this year ?

John Hollinger: Minnesota might be a lot better, though they have a long way to go. If they can get into the teens in Defensive Efficiency they could be this year's Portland, because they're gonna score points. In the East, Charlotte and Indiana are my sleepers to take the last two playoff spots.

WSU Tony
10-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Mchale said himself he wouldn't have done the Mayo deal if it weren't for Miller being involved. Let's not forget that. Plus, Love is agile and can play SF. Imagine a big lineup of Foye, Miller, Love, Jefferson, and Pekovic in the future.

We went into the draft with a top 3 pick and two needs. We left the draft with two needs and an opportunity in 2010 to make a big move. That draft's success will come down to the 2010 offseason.

The Lizard King
10-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Our needs were PG, C, and outside shooting. We filled one of those needs with Miller, and my only assumption is we believed either Foye or Telfair would step up and man the PG spot. As far as C, I believe the idea behind drafting Love was so we could play Jefferson and and a C alternate at the Center position until Pekovic come overseas.

boeknows
10-14-2008, 11:13 PM

I really dont think Love is fast enough to play SF.

The Lizard King
10-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Why Not? His Combine 3/4 court Sprint time matched or was better than many SF in the combine. It was also one of the fastest of every PF.

IowaAJ
10-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Should Craig Smith or Ryan Gomes start at power forward. I am just wondering what you guys think. yeah we would be a very small team but when Gomes was in the Game Vs Chicago he played very well and he may be our best player behind Jefferson and Miller. He is so versatile this guy needs to play either small forward or Power forward. Craig Smith is a beast man this guy is huge watching him vs the Bulls when he took off and dunked on Tyrus Thomas that was awesome.

I am starting to like the idea of McCants starting he can get to the rim any time he wants to he just has to do it instead of settling for the outside shot.

Brewer also looks like he has improved a lot since last year. I really have no idea who will be starting besides I think Jefferson and Miller and Foye probably start other then that I am really not to sure who will start this season.

PurpleJesus
10-15-2008, 11:01 PM
i like Smith off the bench, I really do think height is the most overrated attribute in the league, but i just dont like the idea of being even more undersized at the 4 and 5.

Smith off the bench can bring a lot of electricity, and when he plays well (which is usually), he can give huge rests to Al.

Redsoxin09
10-15-2008, 11:23 PM
Why is Love playing PF? Isn't Jefferson's natural position PF? Didn't we trade for Love so he could play C?

WSU Tony
10-15-2008, 11:30 PM
Why is Love playing PF? Isn't Jefferson's natural position PF? Didn't we trade for Love so he could play C?

Yes..... we did...... :p

boeknows
10-16-2008, 12:47 AM
Why Not? His Combine 3/4 court Sprint time matched or was better than many SF in the combine. It was also one of the fastest of every PF.

It has to do with lateral speed too. When ur guarding someone ur not just running beside them down the court the whole time. He will have to guard them at the 3 point line and be able to guard them out there and be able to stop them from driving right around him to the basket. Before the rules changed he would maybe be able to do it but now if u put ur hand on them its a foul. He could guard some of the SF's in the league but not most of them.

boeknows
10-16-2008, 12:49 AM
i like Smith off the bench, I really do think height is the most overrated attribute in the league, but i just dont like the idea of being even more undersized at the 4 and 5.

Smith off the bench can bring a lot of electricity, and when he plays well (which is usually), he can give huge rests to Al.

I agree. I like Smith coming off the bench. He brings a lot to us on the second team.

Preuss-is-right
10-16-2008, 10:26 AM
The only negative I can see so far is finding minutes for every player, which really isnt a bad thing I guess.

GOGOGOMEZ08
10-16-2008, 11:34 AM
I just hope it isnt like last year and they play too many different people. We by now should have seen who can play and who cant and lets go out and put our best team on the court and win

Preuss-is-right
10-16-2008, 01:04 PM
I expect we will end up making a big trade before the deadline. I really dont know why everyone doesnt think McCants doesn't merit a 1st round pick. Thats what he was picked and has already matched/proven he is worth it instead of taking a chance on a who-was-that.

WSU Tony
10-16-2008, 02:48 PM
McCants merits a first round pick? Late first round then, I'm assuming.

thesparky33
10-16-2008, 04:35 PM
I think Love could hold his own against centers, but Jefferson would do a better job, so what's the point?

And I never heard McHale or anyone say that they traded for Love so we could slide Big Al to the 4 spot... I dont know where you guys are getting that...

IowaAJ
10-16-2008, 04:36 PM
I don't think we should trade McCants I think he has a lot of potential and I think this is the year he has a breakout year.

IowaAJ
10-16-2008, 04:39 PM
I agree Sparky either Jefferson or Love could play either the 4 or 5 spot. I think Jefferson will do a better job defensively vs the Centers in this League. Love was dominated by Drew Gooden down on the block but Gooden has been around along time and he is still learning how to defend in the NBA.

The Lizard King
10-16-2008, 04:58 PM
It has to do with lateral speed too. When ur guarding someone ur not just running beside them down the court the whole time. He will have to guard them at the 3 point line and be able to guard them out there and be able to stop them from driving right around him to the basket. Before the rules changed he would maybe be able to do it but now if u put ur hand on them its a foul. He could guard some of the SF's in the league but not most of them.

Hs lane agility was comparable to many SF's in the draft as well.

The Lizard King
10-16-2008, 04:59 PM
I think Love could hold his own against centers, but Jefferson would do a better job, so what's the point?

And I never heard McHale or anyone say that they traded for Love so we could slide Big Al to the 4 spot... I dont know where you guys are getting that...

Me either. I would be VERY surprised if we play Love at the 5.

Redsoxin09
10-16-2008, 05:10 PM

Well isn't Big Al's most preferred position PF? Didn't Love play Center in college? I just don't see the point in not using Al at his most effective and original position.

ramansingh3
10-17-2008, 03:42 PM
geez, i really think we are going places this year

not the playoffs, but an improvement over last year. I liked the mayo-love swap you guys got rid of a crappy contract like jarics too in that deal.

DenButsu
10-20-2008, 03:08 AM
Wasn't sure exactly where to put this, but this thread seems as good as any for it. Just a nice comment from George Karl:

"That's the best I've ever seen Randy Foye play," Karl said. "I thought he did a great job. I've never seen him distribute it and make good decisions like that."rockymountainnews (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/oct/19/nuggets-suffer-first-preseason-loss/)

eric1501
10-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Wasn't sure exactly where to put this, but this thread seems as good as any for it. Just a nice comment from George Karl:

rockymountainnews (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/oct/19/nuggets-suffer-first-preseason-loss/)

Yeah exactly I was waiting for a thread about the game in North Dakota yesterday. Randy Foye dished out 15 dimes. Thats a very very good sign. I can't wait for this year. Anyone going to the preseason opener on Wednesday?

thesparky33
10-21-2008, 01:07 AM
Randy Wittman isn't pleased with Minnesota Timberwolves' starting unit

The Timberwolves take a 4-1 record into the final week of the exhibition season, but that doesn't mean coach Randy Wittman is satisfied.

After watching his bench power another come-from-behind win Thursday at Toronto, Wittman had his players watch more than an hour of tape before Saturday's practice.

"We played two distinct styles of play in that game," he said. "The first unit in that game didn't play with a lot of energy and effort, and the second one did. So I wanted to contrast the two, to see how if you play hard, usually good things happen."
- Pioneer Press
http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_10756395?source=rss

Rome
10-21-2008, 07:40 PM
You guys think Bassy and Foye will share time at the 1 or is it gonna be mostly Foye this year?

cwilson21
10-21-2008, 11:57 PM
Guessing probably more Foye.

Preuss-is-right
10-22-2008, 10:16 AM
As of right now I'm going with this line-up.

Foye
Miller
Brewer
Gomes
Jefferson

ryguy2k7
10-22-2008, 12:57 PM
ESPN's preview of the Timberwolves had their starting lineup as...

Foye
Miller
Brewer
Smith
Jefferson

WSU Tony
10-22-2008, 03:57 PM
No love for Love?

IowaAJ
10-22-2008, 06:02 PM
I wouldn't mind that lineup because Craig Smith is a beast but I think it would be nice to have a high post player to go Along with Jefferson, but I could go with either lineup.

boeknows
10-23-2008, 03:02 AM
No love for Love?

Or Gomes?

ryguy2k7
10-24-2008, 12:19 AM
I disagree with ESPN's lineup.

My lineup changes like...every week.

Foye
Miller
Gomes
Jefferson
Love

2nd team:

Telfair
McCants
Brewer
Smith
Our backup centers suck.

Rumeye
10-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Love should be a starter.

Hawkeye15
10-25-2008, 01:34 AM
Foye 32 mpg
Miller 34 mpg
Brewer 24 mpg
Love 29 mpg
Jefferson 36 mpg

McCants 26 mpg
Gomes 22 mpg
Telfair 19 mpg
Carney 8 mpg
Smith 22 mpg

That is our rotation, and remember, the numbers for mpg will not add to a game, it is all a factor of games missed, ot's, injuries, etc.

Rumeye
10-25-2008, 01:39 AM
Foye 32 mpg
Miller 34 mpg
Brewer 24 mpg
Love 29 mpg
Jefferson 36 mpg

McCants 26 mpg
Gomes 22 mpg
Telfair 19 mpg
Carney 8 mpg
Smith 22 mpg

That is our rotation, and remember, the numbers for mpg will not add to a game, it is all a factor of games missed, ot's, injuries, etc.

It's interesting that you would give a bench player more minutes than a starter.

Hawkeye15
10-26-2008, 02:28 PM
It's interesting that you would give a bench player more minutes than a starter.

I think Brewer needs to start, and guard the other teams best perimeter player. But he is an offensive liability. Now, if he can prove he can hit a jumper, I would have no issue with him playing a little more. Besides, I think Ginoboli or Barbosa get more minutes than some of thier starters.

Rumeye
10-26-2008, 05:49 PM
The only starter Barbosa had more minutes than is O'neill, and that's no surprise considering his age and physical condition. And Ginobli, well, he's Ginobli. I don't think I would put McCants at the same level as Manu.

Hawkeye15
10-27-2008, 12:52 PM
The only starter Barbosa had more minutes than is O'neill, and that's no surprise considering his age and physical condition. And Ginobli, well, he's Ginobli. I don't think I would put McCants at the same level as Manu.

McCants reminds me of Peeler. If he comes in and hits some shots, let him play. If he isn't hitting, he isn't really all that effective. If he could get to the line more, that would be one thing. There are many situations where the 6th man plays more minutes than a starter to tell you the truth. I don't feel like wasting time going team by team and researching, but some guys are more effective when they start, even if they don't play a lot of minutes. And Brewer needs to be out there to slow the other teams perimeter scorer and not let him get into a groove early.

GOGOGOMEZ08
10-27-2008, 02:44 PM
You have to remember that a sixth man will sub for more than one position which will accumalate more minutes than you think

Rumeye
10-27-2008, 06:57 PM
I don't necessarily disagree with you guys.

hdxstunts1
10-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Foye
Brewer
Gomes
Love
Jefferson

you would have the height, the strength, the speed, the power, the ball handling, the only thing lacking would be shooting but with some ball fakes it could easily make up for it! This line-up killed my bulls and i think the T-Wolves are a dominent young PG-SG(someoneto go with Foye) away from being a good dynasty.

WSU Tony
10-27-2008, 09:29 PM
We shoot well, our defense is the problem many of us are worried about.

Preuss-is-right
10-27-2008, 11:11 PM
I hope we dont try to be like phoenix was. I think we have the firepower but those kind of teams never pan out.

WSU Tony
10-27-2008, 11:45 PM
DEFENSE WINS, plain and simple. I'll take a stud defensive team who struggles to score vs the opposite. You can depend on a strong defense but you can't depend on a strong offense. A few missed shots on a strong offense means you lose the game. Always make your opponent work for points or it'll be a long season.

Rumeye
10-28-2008, 12:23 AM
DEFENSE WINS, plain and simple. I'll take a stud defensive team who struggles to score vs the opposite. You can depend on a strong defense but you can't depend on a strong offense. A few missed shots on a strong offense means you lose the game. Always make your opponent work for points or it'll be a long season.

I agree. I equate having a good defense in the NBA to the philosophy that good pitching beats good hitting.

Plus, you can't turn offense into defense, but you can turn defense into offense. Especially for a running team, which the Wolves appear to be.

WSU Tony
10-28-2008, 10:09 AM
Depending on shots falling or getting hits is a poor way to go about the game. Regardless of how good you are, you're playing against the odds of scoring vs playing with the odds of them not scoring with a great defense. Plus, good defense is rewarded with less pressure on your offense. A good offense doesn't put much less pressure on a defense.

Oefarmy2005
10-28-2008, 11:19 AM
I expect the Wolves to be pretty bad on defence this year, I stayed away from calling it "terrible". We definatly need a center, and I almost wish we took Lopez, maybe not witht the 3rd, but traded down to get him. I think we'll in every game do to our offense, but we need a defencive center before we can think about making the playoffs. I would make that offseason priority, unless buy some stroke of luck either Jefferson or Love learn how to defend the post.

WSU Tony
10-28-2008, 11:22 AM
We need a LARGE defensive center, a real presence in the paint. I don't think Love is that guy we need.

Next year's draft we'll be looking for a large yet quick center and a true PG. If we could find two very talented guys in those positions in the upcoming draft / FA class of 2010, we'll be in GREAT shape.

IowaAJ
10-28-2008, 01:41 PM
1 day and we won't have to debate because the starting lineup will be on the floor. I am so excited for the season to start.

WSU Tony
10-28-2008, 02:39 PM
I don't think the starting lineup will be the same. Someone mentioned this year being "different" but expect them to be trying people in different positions and still spreading minutes around quite a bit.

IowaAJ
10-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Yeah I agree with that Tony we will probably see a lot of lineup changes depending on if Foye can be a pass 1st point guard or not. If he can't then we have to move him to shooting guard and put Telfair at the Point. I hope Foye can though because Telfair is a great change of pace off the bench.

ryguy2k7
10-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Real starting lineup tonight...

Foye
Miller
Brewer
Gomes
Jefferson