PDA

View Full Version : Official NBA 2k9 Thread: Likes and Dislikes: Also which is better? 2K9 or 2K8?

JordansBulls
10-08-2008, 02:27 PM
What do you like about this game and what do you dislike about it?

I played the first game with the Bulls against the Celtics on Hall of Fame and I couldn't stop them for nothing.

Next game I used the Rockets and I beat the Lakers. But they were throwing alley oops and getting tip dunks like it was nothing. I couldn't stop Kobe early in the 4th and he came down and just dunked on me 3 straight times. Derek Fisher was hitting all types of crazy shots as well. I barely won when I played them.

Rome
10-08-2008, 03:48 PM
I haven't played yet, but I watched my friends play. Seemed like it got a lot easier to block shots and get steals. Free throws you have to release earlier than 2k8 but otherwise I don't see too much a difference. Graphics look great, tatoos look sick, rosters are pretty much up to date.

Overall I think I like it. Haha just have to play that first game.

pete_one
10-08-2008, 03:52 PM
theres no "Team Interest Bar" [at least i havent found it] on the trades menu on association, so i can't tell if the other team wants Luke, Radman, and Karl for their 12th man, but i guess it doesnt matter, i override it anyways :) i also hate that the opposing team makes these crazy *** shots on the run and always score down low. i like the new post moves though

Chronz
10-08-2008, 03:54 PM
The game sucks, its impossible to stop the post player once hes in deep, it doesnt matter if its Tim Duncan or Rasho Nesterovic everyone has to be doubled in the low post and even the doubles are weak as they routinely step thru them anyways. Horrible game so far

DocUSN
10-08-2008, 03:57 PM
I've always been a 2k fan but I was swayed by live this year, I bought it and I really think live is catching up if not already there

jetsfan28
10-08-2008, 04:00 PM
The game sucks, its impossible to stop the post player once hes in deep, it doesnt matter if its Tim Duncan or Rasho Nesterovic everyone has to be doubled in the low post and even the doubles are weak as they routinely step thru them anyways. Horrible game so far

Then no offense, but you aren't good, I've been getting stops in the low post at a very realistic percentage.

Biggest complaint so far: Robin Lopez > Brook Lopez :confused:

Also, at the end of the game, it's too easy to run out the clock, if you keep passing they don't foul

FOBolous
10-08-2008, 04:07 PM

that was a problem i had too but i managed to overcome it...i blocked AI several times in the low post when I play against Denver. but yeea...i'm sure you'll get the hang out of it after a little more practice

Rome
10-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Just takes time sometimes getin use to a new game.

Phaze_4
10-08-2008, 04:32 PM
I've tried playing Online with Ps3 and it freezes looks like 2k's servers are crap right now.

JordansBulls
10-08-2008, 04:39 PM

I think that is the point. It should be much easier for a great big man player to score in the paint. That is what I like about this game. All the other games it was too hard to score in the post because you would lose the ball too much or get bad position. Now it is easier to score and you would lose the ball a little less than guys on the perimeter. Now I can truly build my team around a big man.

Other games you would have a prime Shaq and would barely give him the ball because it was too tough to score, now it is more realistic.

Beno7500
10-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Haven't played it yet. might get it today

KiLLA RAiDER
10-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Need to get it! :D

RocketsRule
10-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Just go it, but can't play it just yet. My Xbox 360 got those three rings as I was about to play it...

CB4AB7VC15
10-08-2008, 05:43 PM
I can't stop big baby he's a machine. post players can't be stopped at all and defence in general is very hard this year.

kntresistheheat
10-09-2008, 12:53 AM
A few things I dont like so far, 1) You cant get the drive angle online play.
2) Its a little choppy againgst the computer and online.....3) And the sever for 2k is not connecting properly.....4)The menu is so weird, its not easy like 2k8!....5) The play against the computer on HOF is to easy to score, I used beasley and scored 20 points in the post.......Besides that the game is pretty bad *** just needs some tweaks which I know they would do???

theuuord
10-09-2008, 04:13 AM
The frame rate needs serious fixing. Against a friend the game sped up and slowed down so unpredictably that I was just tossing up shots with no clue when I was supposed to release it.
When I played against the computer it was choppy until I hit halfcourt and then it went right to normal (kind of awkwardly).

That needs a patch of some sort.

(Also the player ratings are messed up, but that's to be expected)

Also where's the trade interest bar???

Chronz
10-09-2008, 04:43 AM
Then no offense, but you aren't good, I've been getting stops in the low post at a very realistic percentage.

Biggest complaint so far: Robin Lopez > Brook Lopez :confused:

Also, at the end of the game, it's too easy to run out the clock, if you keep passing they don't foul

Please man, Im a 2k veteran, been playing since Tmac was on the Raps. You wouldnt be able to stop me in the low post, what was your ranking in 2k8, if you werent atleast in triple digits dont waste my time, unless you took it up late or something but either way my point remains, I KNOW basketball games, I never said I didnt beat the **** out of the computer, but the way I did it wasnt BASKETBALL. In fact my first intentions when I buy a 2k game is to beat the game silly, see what I can get away with.

Chronz
10-09-2008, 04:44 AM
that was a problem i had too but i managed to overcome it...i blocked AI several times in the low post when I play against Denver. but yeea...i'm sure you'll get the hang out of it after a little more practice

I hope so man, I wont judge to any conclusions until I have the game for a month or so

Chronz
10-09-2008, 04:47 AM
I think that is the point. It should be much easier for a great big man player to score in the paint. That is what I like about this game. All the other games it was too hard to score in the post because you would lose the ball too much or get bad position. Now it is easier to score and you would lose the ball a little less than guys on the perimeter. Now I can truly build my team around a big man.

Other games you would have a prime Shaq and would barely give him the ball because it was too tough to score, now it is more realistic.

I dont know man I loved the balance in 2k8 and I shouldnt have to double every bigman who gets deep position, or at the least make it alot harder to make that entry pass or get that position. I cant guard the perimeter because I know the cheezers will keep looking for that play to present itself.

And we play with a prime Shaq all the time in 2k8, the guy is a beast.

rico
10-09-2008, 04:55 AM
my biggest concern is actually the CAP. its so stupid this year. i loved making a guy look just like me to put on my team and play with. but you can either make crispy black dude to light skinned black dude. no matter what you do tot the facial features hes still gonna look like a black dude. :(

oh and the fact the 'random 5on5' isnt random at all. they have a server set up with teams vs teams. however they are accepting feedback on what teams theyd like to add to play each other. - i dont see why it cant just be RANDOM for real.

defense is SO much harder on this game :( i havnt seemed to master the lock on D i guess.

but as a whole i like the game :)

ALSO - Anyone who has the game for 360 who wishes to join in our PSD league - the deadline is at 8:30 eastern THURSDAY (today) so if the remaining 7-8 ppl havnt signed up by then PM me your gamertag and be on around that time to get the info to join up.

Chronz
10-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Yea you guys were right, Im starting to get the hang of defending that play but its not how I like to play defense.

jkiddvc20
10-09-2008, 08:28 AM
I will probably get it within the next 5 days along with my new HDTV!!!!

Nighthawk
10-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Please man, Im a 2k veteran, been playing since Tmac was on the Raps. You wouldnt be able to stop me in the low post, what was your ranking in 2k8, if you werent atleast in triple digits dont waste my time, unless you took it up late or something but either way my point remains, I KNOW basketball games, I never said I didnt beat the **** out of the computer, but the way I did it wasnt BASKETBALL. In fact my first intentions when I buy a 2k game is to beat the game silly, see what I can get away with.

GET OUT OF HERE WITH THAT JUNK!!

Now, im not saying you suck, or your not good.. Hell you'd prollie DESTROY ME. But rank is rather a garbage way to determine your skills over someone else. I bought 2k8 months after its official release last season. When i went online my rank was obviously high but i was murdering dudes with high ranks. And its funny cuz High rank players wont play low ranks(Obviously they feel there too good) But i have beaten dudes with like a 452 rating or a 800 ratings when i was only at like 19,000

Chronz
10-09-2008, 03:55 PM
GET OUT OF HERE WITH THAT JUNK!!

Now, im not saying you suck, or your not good.. Hell you'd prollie DESTROY ME. But rank is rather a garbage way to determine your skills over someone else. I bought 2k8 months after its official release last season. When i went online my rank was obviously high but i was murdering dudes with high ranks. And its funny cuz High rank players wont play low ranks(Obviously they feel there too good) But i have beaten dudes with like a 452 rating or a 800 ratings when i was only at like 19,000

Yea the only exception is if you started playing online late, but thats what happened to me and I got into the top 1000 within a few months. And rank is the only way to determine skills, Ive never lost to someone above 10000 rank unless their win loss record showed promise, something like 80-90% success rate, then you know the guy has potential to rank up there, but if your ranked in the 5000+ and youve had the game for awhile with a pathetic win loss record then your garbage. And Im sure youve beaten those guys, but if you were to play nothing but dudes ranked in the triple digits compared to playing nothing but dudes in the double-thousands then your going to have a lower success rate.

PS I dont cheeze, and if you do Ive been known to drop games.

xDjEpYOnx
10-10-2008, 03:39 AM
First time poster, long time reader =D but I felt this would be a good place to get myself started: After getting a couple of games under my belt, the defense is better but tougher in this 2k, the new lock-on requires you to choose to face up or force the player to a side, unfortunately, you have to do this with the right stick, so you're bound to accidentally reach or just put your hands up if you don't move the stick just right or your lock-on is broken on the offensive player. Otherwise, the game is definitely more realistic. This game just has a longer learning curve, even for 2k vets, so take some time to play the game and let the cpu kick your *** a few times until you can figure out how do things right.

rico
10-10-2008, 04:08 AM
welcome -^

yeah im still getting beat by the computer in association by double digits on superstar. playing with the bulls. but yeah i hope to improve my defense... stoked about this 30team online 360 lg we just started tho WOOT!

JWalk126
10-10-2008, 04:11 AM
I'll get it when it comes out for the PC

Beno7500
10-10-2008, 04:24 AM
I like that I can just take over a game with Jason Thompson

Rome
10-10-2008, 06:22 AM
Until I get my own 360 I won't be able to start an association or play against the computer. But I did play my first 3 games tonight with the Suns, twolves, and Blazers. All wins. I can't wait to get me own pad and start playing online with people.

10-10-2008, 09:08 AM
I luv 2k and this 1 does have its pros n cons! The cons, the shooting percentages are wayyyy 2 high. Playing againts other humans I enjoyed every second but the 1st game in my association, wow I have no idea how my controller is still in tact! They made every damnthing shot 75 % and I was takin the same shots and missing mine! The defense is definately tougher and and low post star in the league is UNSTOPPABLE! Only way they're missing post shots r if they r blocked! but im sure as I get better the better it'll get I love everything else! Check baq in a month!!!!

TMAC94
10-10-2008, 09:14 AM
im hopefully gonna get it tomorrow :D NBA 09 as well! PES 2009 i hope too :D

TMAC94
10-10-2008, 09:16 AM
but pes comes out in like a week or two :(

BRADY4MVP
10-10-2008, 09:40 AM
I think that is the point. It should be much easier for a great big man player to score in the paint.

you do realize that the quote that you are responding to included Rasho Nesterovic in your "great big man"

BTownTeamsRKing
10-10-2008, 09:46 AM
Does anyone here think the computer is rediculously good in this game?

i played 2 games as the Celtics vs. den and orl. and both times the cpu did some UNBELIEVABLE shots and drives to the hoop. i mean damn they were unstoppable at times even with the lock down D. (which is L2 right, just like in 2k8?)

anyways, this was on all star difficulty and last year u used to play on HOF and it was hard, but not like this. my defense was damn good and i used to play as the raptors so yes im a good player.

when i say unbelievable shots, i mean covered fadeaway 3's in clutch moments and driving through 3 defenders to do a crazy windmill lay up to win the game.

also did anyone else find that if u leave the ball handler covered by a cpu teamate, that the other team scores EVERYTIME?

still love this game. they did a great job.

TMAC94
10-10-2008, 09:52 AM
ive got demo, and man i cant get into the paint KG cant back down gasol! come on, its so real i cant wait too get it :D

JordansBulls
10-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Does anyone here think the computer is rediculously good in this game?

i played 2 games as the Celtics vs. den and orl. and both times the cpu did some UNBELIEVABLE shots and drives to the hoop. i mean damn they were unstoppable at times even with the lock down D. (which is L2 right, just like in 2k8?)

anyways, this was on all star difficulty and last year u used to play on HOF and it was hard, but not like this. my defense was damn good and i used to play as the raptors so yes im a good player.

when i say unbelievable shots, i mean covered fadeaway 3's in clutch moments and driving through 3 defenders to do a crazy windmill lay up to win the game.

also did anyone else find that if u leave the ball handler covered by a cpu teamate, that the other team scores EVERYTIME?

still love this game. they did a great job.

Well I only play on Hall of Fame level. A lot of times I try to keep the game close though so what I do is share the ball with everyone. If I use just two players it seems it is easy to blow them out. But that is on any basketball game.

Ansy
10-10-2008, 12:10 PM

Yes and it was incredibly frustrating. I like to play off the ball defense and try to deny entry passes to the low post- etc, but every time I switched off the ball handler he scored. It didn't matter who he was either, could be Derek Fisher or Devin Harris or Chris Quinn. Whoever it is, he'll score. The CPU is just too horrible if you ask it to guard someone.

I played Association mode for a while last night and liked some things.

The fantasy draft is now a snake draft (last in first round goes first in second round, etc), which is much fairer than a regular draft.

When your team is short on players before the season begins you can just have the CPU sign a bunch of random min-salary players instead of having to do it yourself.

Upgrades seem way too overpowered again. I was hoping they'd tone them back from where they were in 2k8 but they're as powerful as ever. I upgraded Kevin Durant's perimeter shooting twice and he started averaging 40ppg. It wasn't just 1 season, either; he averaged 39-43ppg foe 6 simulated seasons straight before I stopped playing with that franchise.

cmoneytakemoney
10-10-2008, 12:19 PM
I've tried playing Online with Ps3 and it freezes looks like 2k's servers are crap right now.

Yeah online is a joke this year. They need to do something to fix it because it freezes 9 times outta 10 but, the 1 time you do get a game it lags like a mutha flipper. Patch it please.

23LBJCleBrowns
10-10-2008, 12:27 PM
The Graphics are insane.

Beno7500
10-10-2008, 01:47 PM
we need a patch

JMan17
10-10-2008, 02:01 PM
i got a few complaints...

1. Free Throw system online - WTF happened to this!? everybody is shooting free throws much quicker now and on online it's impossible to make both. I went to the free throw line, i knew online makes the free throws a big lagey to i shot the free throws a little quicker knowing that and then it says "bad release, too late" HOW!? not only that, but most of the games i played so far came down to free throws. I can never make both free throws, maybe one out of 2 sometimes but never both. And it's not just me it's everyone i play, they have trouble making free throws as well just because of how much they changed it for the worst :pity: but you know maybe it is only the first day of me playing it so i will just try to get more use to it.

2. everybody scoring in the post - weather it is chris mihm or some other sucky bigman, i make all those guys look like karrem or shaq in their. none of the centers or PFs ever miss! i even complain on how i make some of these post shots. How in the world did i make a shot from the foul line with Chris Mihm!?

3. Tmac - they had to make another reason why for the noob players to be the rockets :pity: the only 2 games i lost so far were both by the rockets. and that's because of T-Mac! He does not miss ever! I know his shot is easy but come on! A dude made 3 almost half court shots also right in his face too, with Tmac like it was nothing! I do a wide open 3 with kobe, no good? so T-Mac can make a fadaway three with a guy in his face from almost half court and make it but kobe can't make an open 3!? Yao Ming in the game is hard enough :laugh2:

but it is only the first day i tried it, so i will continue and stuff.

Beno7500
10-10-2008, 02:25 PM
^ the problem with your shot is that you are kobe. pick someone else and you will make your shots. he is hard to make it with

JordansBulls
10-10-2008, 02:37 PM
i got a few complaints...

1. Free Throw system online - WTF happened to this!? everybody is shooting free throws much quicker now and on online it's impossible to make both. I went to the free throw line, i knew online makes the free throws a big lagey to i shot the free throws a little quicker knowing that and then it says "bad release, too late" HOW!? not only that, but most of the games i played so far came down to free throws. I can never make both free throws, maybe one out of 2 sometimes but never both. And it's not just me it's everyone i play, they have trouble making free throws as well just because of how much they changed it for the worst :pity: but you know maybe it is only the first day of me playing it so i will just try to get more use to it.

2. everybody scoring in the post - weather it is chris mihm or some other sucky bigman, i make all those guys look like karrem or shaq in their. none of the centers or PFs ever miss! i even complain on how i make some of these post shots. How in the world did i make a shot from the foul line with Chris Mihm!?

3. Tmac - they had to make another reason why for the noob players to be the rockets :pity: the only 2 games i lost so far were both by the rockets. and that's because of T-Mac! He does not miss ever! I know his shot is easy but come on! A dude made 3 almost half court shots also right in his face too, with Tmac like it was nothing! I do a wide open 3 with kobe, no good? so T-Mac can make a fadaway three with a guy in his face from almost half court and make it but kobe can't make an open 3!? Yao Ming in the game is hard enough :laugh2:

but it is only the first day i tried it, so i will continue and stuff.

T-mac in the game is awesome. Chris Paul and Deron Williams are just studs and I can't stop them for nothing.

king4day
10-10-2008, 02:45 PM
I just started playin for the first time.
Haven't played an NBA game consistently in years.
I'm still struggling against rookie level AI but it's still fun.
Of my first 7 games, I lost to the Pacers only (the somehow last undefeateed team in the league). So I'm psyched to play them again.
I don't like the 'top 3 plays' part. The idea is steller, but they show the finish and not the lead to it.

JordansBulls
10-10-2008, 03:13 PM
So which is better? 2k9 or 2k8 in your mind?

xanderyear
10-10-2008, 04:10 PM
I think 2k9 is still better. There were way more issues with 2k8 when it was first released, the 2k team can fix these issues way quicker. I love the game.

23LBJCleBrowns
10-10-2008, 04:26 PM
2K9 only because the Cavs are beast.

JMan17
10-11-2008, 03:25 AM
oh wait i got more complaints now...

no online lobbys - WHAT!? Every year in every game there was always lobbys!? wtf!? This is most likely my biggest complaint, the fact that there is no lobbys made the game alot worse. First of all, how can you invite people into ur leagues now? you can still invite ur friends and stuff but what about people you don't know? One of the purposes of a lobby besides tryings to find a guy to play with with ur choosing, you chat with other people, you spam chat "DRAFT LEAGUE!" and other stuff. but no. instead you have to get a game by random, by going to either quick ranked or quick player match. or custom match and choose whatever. It does not effect the gameplay and all that but this made the game alot worse still.

Team Play - this idea was great. i love it, playing with 10 people while each player on the team covers their position either random or choosing. and then play by every player being controlled instead of 1 player controlling a whole team. The problem, the lag...and i mean REALLY BAD LAG! Even if YOU or some other guy has great connection, there is always 1 other guy who has a bad connection which causes everybody's connection to suck and then lag and the game would take 2 hours to finish and the score would be 19-17 or something unless you plan not to shoot at all. It's a great idea and i love it, at least i would love it if i played 1 game with no lag!!!

rico
10-11-2008, 04:35 AM
they do have lobbies , but its not the same way and its not ranked. its more so of a player match... to make peoples ranked ratinsg more real its a random like (halo style) finding someone with your same skill to pair you up with... in 2k8 good people would play noobs to help them get better rankings thats why they did it this way.

JayW_1023
10-11-2008, 08:11 AM
I just ordered it and I'm waiting in anticipation.

BTownTeamsRKing
10-11-2008, 09:23 AM
2 complaints

1. the computer is unreal. meaning all of their points against me is wen they throw lead passes through my defense right to the basket.

2. i cant even get in online games. it freezes online all the time.

rico
10-11-2008, 09:36 AM
2 complaints

1. the computer is unreal. meaning all of their points against me is wen they throw lead passes through my defense right to the basket.

2. i cant even get in online games. it freezes online all the time.

on #2 see my post in the video games thread :)

nygiants242
10-11-2008, 10:10 AM
I love the game so far.. its really good

m26555
10-11-2008, 11:15 AM
2K8 is EASILY better. In 2K9, the post play is AWFUL (you score every time you get the ball in down low), the computer-controlled players NEVER stay on their man and always wind up leaving a guard wide open behind the three-point line (where you almost NEVER miss, by the way), and it is nearly impossible to stop some players online. Horrible, horrible game...and this is coming from the biggest 2K fan around.

JMan17
10-11-2008, 01:21 PM
they do have lobbies , but its not the same way and its not ranked. its more so of a player match... to make peoples ranked ratinsg more real its a random like (halo style) finding someone with your same skill to pair you up with... in 2k8 good people would play noobs to help them get better rankings thats why they did it this way.

i know about that one, but i don't really consider that one a lobby.

i don't like that. even if that logic makes sense it's still a downgrade. Good players playing noob guys so they can get their rank up is a choice. but also when players do that their rank is not increased much at all. most players actually play people close to their rank because there rank would get better.

i still like 2K9 better but barley. I really hope they make most of the changes soon because i always loved 2K. otherwise i might even go so low and even try Live :speechless:

rossgloadshow
10-11-2008, 02:23 PM
what is the best game of the three this year. Ihave herd mixed reviews about all.
i have always been 2K since dreamcast but i kind of enjoyed the life 06 (not as a real basketball game though)

JordansBulls
10-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Does anyone ever simulate a game where they see the computer playing one another? One thing I can tell you is that they made Boston terrible. No matter who I put against them in Boston, the Celtics get blown out and the weird thing is they have the highest overall rating in the game.

PhillySportFan
10-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Here's a few thoughts of mine on the game and remarks made about it. People are saying in this thread that the computer scores to easily and stuff like that and if noticed in 2k8 it was the same when you first got the game but after a few months you played on HoF no problem, same thing with this game, just have to get adapted to it. Online play even if you are able to play(like me) sucks to me anyways, it's laggy and many people are super cheesy and just run around until they have an open lane or a wide open shot which often happens because your lagging around and you can't stay with him. It was like this in 2k8 if you ask me, maybe it's a bit worse in 2k9 though. I really played 2k8 for association cuz online wasn't that great and I think 2k9 will be the same for me. I still think 2k9 is better then 2k8 though, I hope they come out with an update to fix the online play

JayW_1023
10-20-2008, 02:32 PM
I think it's a good game...I haven't figured out how to participate in a 10 player 5-On-5 match though...the online feature is complicated to figure out.

For the rest I really think it's the best basketball simulation out there. For those who complain about the ease in scoring the in post...you can always adjust the sliders to make the game as realistic or unrealistic as possible, and fit your preferences regardless.

jimbobjarree
10-20-2008, 02:55 PM
the most annoying thing is if theres a man under the basket or close and your trying do dunk they always block you. I've had strong two handers sent back, dunks blocked from behind and breakaway dunks blocked....and everytime they get posession, it gets annoying

NastyRud
10-20-2008, 08:54 PM
I don't like the create-a-player. Every created player has the same face. And same tats from last year. I like how you can edit real players this year. I made Beasley (6'9"), Hinrich (6'5"), & Gordon (6'4") a little taller. You can also make them younger.