PDA

View Full Version : Was O'neal or Moses the worst Blazers trade ever?

mrblisterdundee
10-08-2008, 02:01 PM
In 1976 the Blazers traded Moses Malone to Buffalo for a first round pick, which netted them Herm Gilliam. The Blazers still won a championship considering the less talented 70's, but obviously Moses would have made the frontcourt, teaming with Bill Walton, unstoppable.

In the 90's, Jermaine O'neal was traded to Indiana for "Stale" Dale Davis. O'neal went on to become a franchise player, and one of the best centers or power forwards. Teaming him up with Rasheed would have given the Blazers a masterful front court, which would have been useful in the regular match-ups with the O'neal-led Lakers.

Personally, I think the O'neal trade was worst, because we still won a championship in the 70's after the Moses trade, and because the 90's were a harder arena to win in. Also, I think "Stale" Dale gave less to the Blazers than Herm Gilliam. Which of these trades do you think was the worst in Blazer history?

A.Mopp
10-08-2008, 03:28 PM
I think the Malone trade was the worst.

Dawson8
10-08-2008, 06:44 PM
O'neal had to have been the biggest mistake. I think that we would have had 1 championship during that time. He was showing the blazers that he was ready and the front office wasn't ready to listen. Mosses was a great player, probably a better player than O'neal. However, we showed that we could do without him and win. Without O'neal we just didn't have a legitimate center. The big man is without a doubt the most important position on the court in the NBA. If you don't have that you will not have long runs in the NBA. Jordan is the only exception to the rule. MJ retired and that type of player only comes around so often. Every dynasty had a dominant center. Out with the past...........we have our center now.

GregOden#1
10-08-2008, 06:49 PM
The weaker 70's? ...

Anyway, Moses is fifty times better than JO, the 70s would've resulted in a dynasty for the Blazers if it wasn't for that trade.

blazerman
10-08-2008, 07:10 PM
By far Mo. Malone, The Blazers had the best record in the league in 77/78, the yr after winning the championship when Walton went down with a broken leg. Imagine if we would have had Malone to fall back on, we would have been looking at back to back c-ships.

Oneal would have probably still been here and we'd have been better but we most likely wouldnt have ended up with what we have now and we'd be the ones paying that huge contract(cap friendly now)

BoltLakerPadre
10-09-2008, 02:00 AM
I'd say Malone was worse. As good as JO was/is, Moses, in my opinion, was a fair bit better.