PDA

View Full Version : SF/SG are they the same thing in this day and age?

Frank Costanza
10-08-2008, 12:44 PM
We have many debates over if a wing player is considered a 2 or a 3

Tmac Vince carter, ray allen, paul peirce, all fall in this bubble, does it depend on the other wing, does it depend on if you rebound? is it strictly height based?
whats makes a wing player a sg or an sF

Frank Costanza
10-08-2008, 12:48 PM
I asked the questoin i dont have a good answer though, the best i can come up with is who the other wing player is, i think paul pierce is a sg if paired with artest but a sf when paired with ray allen,

tmac is a sg when paired with ron arterst but a sf when paired with mike james

Tblaze
10-08-2008, 01:03 PM
I think it depends on the point guard. If you have a point guard like Paul who sets up the offence for the team you don't need a wing that can create for other players so the difference in sg/sf won't be big. If that's not the case and you have a pg that's mainly one that's offensively minded, you're likely to have a guard next to him who has some pg skills/ can dribble. For example Baron Davis/Monta Ellis.

Vidball
10-08-2008, 01:17 PM
It depends on the offense...if you are playing in a double-post offense, your sf needs to be able to post up. If you are a run-n-gun team the positions are very interchangeable. A good amount of true half-court sets benefit from a true sf, but so many sets can be run with or without a sf on the floor--it limits a teams options, but it is workable. I don't know if I'm even making sense to anyone...lol.

NYKnickFanatic
10-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Ray Allen is a SG.
I've never heard anyone call him a SF.
Thats that.

Joshtd1
10-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Small Forward are typically taller/bigger, and better rebounders IMO.

PhxGiant
10-08-2008, 01:46 PM
There are a lot of variables, but I think a SF should be able to bang a little bit and get some rebounds. A shooting guard should be able to shoot well, and handle the ball good in the backcourt. Its hard to say, but a SG and a SF will have different skill sets most of the time.

Kyben36
10-08-2008, 01:57 PM
I think it has to do a lil with everything

Athletism. A SG should be an athletic player. If you are not very atheltic, you will probable be moved down to SF.

Shot. If you can shoot from Deep, you can play SG, If not, you are realy out of place and limit your teams Range.becasue normaly, the PG and SG can shoot the 3 well. and some SF can as well. Without a Good shooting SG, this can realy limit your teams production.

Handles. You have got to be able to drive and penetrate if you are to play SG. otherwise, you are like Marion who is very athletic, has a Shot, but can not drive like a SG can.

and hight. If you are 5"1 there is no way you can play SG or SF. you may not be able to play in the NBA at all. you would be screwed. Hight does matter but only if you are too short. if you are 7ft tall and have all of the above listed, I think you can play SG, SF, or Even PG if you have court vision. although, seeing a 7ft PG, SG, or SF would be very odd.

barreleffact
10-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Height, weight, and who your other wing is...also, who you guard. cross matches dont come up too often unless its something planned and necessary like battier and artest on kobe.

Rome
10-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Ah certain guards I would put at the 3 and certain wing players I'd put at SG. Depends on matchups and who's on your team. A lot of SG's can rebound just as good if not better than some forwards so it all just depends.

pete_one
10-08-2008, 03:56 PM
an SF by definition is LeBron "The King" James

hdxstunts1
10-08-2008, 04:00 PM
PG def - Guard that handles ball, and drives to get others open. Shoots when needed.
SG def - A guard that can shoot the ball very well and adequetly handle the ball.
Sf def - A guard/forward that plays D, handles ball sometimes, basic shot, and a very good slasher.
PF def - Forawrd that is a banger and defenseive, physical presence. Good strong post moves.
C def - Forward that is a defensive stopper, clogs the lane, and scores in basic measures.

Only in the NBA. IN every level except the NBA there is a clear difference in positions. In NBA Sg,SF,PF are all interchanging betweeen eachother. There are some people that consider people like KG or Dirk to be a PF while some think Dirk is a SG and some think KG is SF. Many people say Mike Miller is a SG when he should be a SF and can also play PF. All of us say D.Wade is a SG, when i almost have never seen him shoot, he is a SF if you go by definition. LeBron is normally a PG if you think about it, he handles the ball all the time, its in his hands, he shoots, passes, and drives, gets others open, thats not the role of a SF. The only difference is PG and Center or SG and Center but everything else is so nterchangable. Borris Diaw came to the league as a SG, was a PF last year and year before and now he is playing SF. If you look at, college and high-school you see clear differences in height and style of play.

JordansBulls
10-08-2008, 04:44 PM
A wing player is a guy who mainly plays on the perimeter. Simply put he attacks from the outside, drives from the outside, etc.

Frank Costanza
10-08-2008, 04:56 PM
[QUOTE=
Only in the NBA. IN every level except the NBA there is a clear difference in . The only difference is PG and Center or SG and Center but everything else is so nterchangable. Borris Diaw came to the league as a SG, was a PF last year and year before and now he is playing SF. If you look at, college and high-school you see clear differences in height and style of play.[/QUOTE]

my point exactly , in the nba it isnt clearly defined, and when we have polls of best sg or sf i think those 2 are the closest where it was tough to determine who was who