PDA

View Full Version : Contracts vs Endorsements

KnicksWin
10-07-2008, 11:45 PM
http://www.fanhouse.com/2007/03/31/business-lebron-needs-some-assistance/
Business LeBron Needs Some Assistance
Posted Mar 31st 2007 12:31AM by Nate Jones

Two seasons ago, LeBron James left his agent Aaron Goodwin in favor of being managed by his childhood friends from Akron. Although LeBron continues to make waves on the basketball court, he hasn't really reached is potential off of it. Despite being one of the most recognizable figures in the world of basketball today, LeBron has failed to capitalize on his fame in the form off the court marketing and endorsement deals. Since his departure from Goodwin Sports Management in May of 2005, LeBron has only signed two endorsement deals. Those two deals (one with Cub Cadet Lawnmowers for $200K and another with Microsoft for $500K) don't even total $1 Million. How is it that LeBron's previous agent was capable of signing LeBron to $120 Million in off the court endorsements prior to LeBron putting on an NBA Jersey, yet with LeBron more popular than ever, his current management team has only managed to procure $700K in endorsement deals? I know LeBron wants to help his friends out, and I'm all for that. But he is a multi-million dollar brand that needs an experienced manager helping him out. As Dwyane Wade's management team has proven there are other endorsement opportunities out there for LeBron to pursue. Where's LeBron's cellular phone endorsement? Where's his automotive endorsement? What about a fast food deal? I'm just saying, there are opportunities out there where LeBron could procure millions of dollars, yet his management team has not capitalized on them. Well, at least they have a shnazy website.

From Newsday, here's a look at LeBron's endorsement empire:

Company Approximate value

Nike $90 million

Coca-Cola (Sprite and Powerade) $14 million

Cadbury Adams (Bubblicious gum) $5 million

Upper Deck (trading cards) $6 million

Juice Batteries (expired) $2 million

Microsoft $500,000

Cub Cadet (lawnmowers) $200,000

Total (including bonuses and incentives)$120 million

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2007/12/lebron_is_no_1_on_list_of_rich.html

Lebron is No. 1 on list of richest young superstars
Posted by From staff reports December 05, 2007 15:17PM
Categories: Cavaliers, LeBron James

John Kuntz/The Plain Dealer
Lebron James
Read the Forbes magazine story.

Photos of the top earning superstars

Forbes magazine today put LeBron James at the top of its list of 20 under 25 Top-Earning Superstars.

James, who will turn 23 on Dec. 30, earned $27 million between June 2006 and June 2007. That could be the low-end of James' earning potential, Forbes pointed out. James is primed to outpace Los Angeles Laker Kobe Bryant, 29, as the highest-paid player in the NBA this year because of his new four-year $60 million contract. The Cavs will pay him $13 million his first year. Endorsement deals with Nike, Coca-Cola and Upper Deck, among others, easily eclipse his on-court salary, Forbes said.

Athletes with lucrative endorsement deals landed in the the top four slots of the "20 Under 25." list.

No. 2 is Reggie Bush, 22-year-old running back for the NFL's New Orleans Saints, with $24 million.

No. 3 is tennis ace Maria Sharapova, who pocketed $23 million (only $3.8 million from winnings), and is the world's highest-paid female athlete.

No. 4 is golf phenom Michelle Wie, with $19 million in earnings

Rounding out the top five are former kid stars turned boho fashion icons Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, who earned $17 million apiece, largely from their 'tween merchandise empire Dualstar.

Also see
http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/27/commentary/sportsbiz/index.htm

Come on people. How many times does it have to be said? Offering a Superstar more money in salary to stay in a small market will not help. If Lebron is moved by money he WILL go to a BIGGER market. It does not have to be NY, but you name a bigger market and I will listen. He already fired his agent over relationship... why wouldn't he play for the Nets (Please Lord no!) over a relationship with gayz... I mean j my bad LOL. If he stays in Cleveland great I don't care b/c I see us having the same problem with getting people to take pay cuts and giving him the max to come to the Knicks. PLEASE Cavs fans shut up with the "we can offer him more" because the simple truth is the market is where stars make money... just ask the original #23 about that...

40oz
10-08-2008, 02:18 AM
He's big enough world wide to where he bring the world to Cleveland, he knows that. Plus, the Nets move has been delayed how long? I'm a long Knicks fan, i know he's not coming to us, but watch out the Nets. At one point i was wondering he Jay-z was cheatin on Beyounce with Lebron (ok, i kid, i kid.)