PDA

View Full Version : Schaefer Released

The Intimidator
10-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Boston, MA– Boston Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli announced today five roster moves: forward Peter Schaefer has been released from the club and will be placed on waivers for purpose of assignment to Providence (AHL), forwards Nate Thompson and Jeremy Reich have been placed on waivers for purpose of assignment to Providence (AHL), defenseman Matt Hunwick has been assigned to Providence (AHL), and forward Carl Soderberg has been assigned to Malmo (Sweden2).

After these moves, 23 players remain on the Bruins roster.

Schaefer appeared in 63 regular season games for the Boston Bruins last year and tallied 9-17-26 totals. In the postseason, Schaefer played in all seven contests and contributed one goal and three assists. He was acquired by the Bruins from the Ottawa Senators on July 17, 2007 in exchange for forward Shean Donovan.

Reich played in 58 regular season games for Boston last season and notched 2-2-4 totals and 78 penalty minutes. He also appeared in four postseason games. Signed by the Bruins as a free agent on August 30, 2005, Reich was originally drafted in the second round (39th overall) in the 1997 NHL Entry Draft by the Chicago Blackhawks.

Thompson spent the entire 2007-2008 season in Providence and set professional career highs in goals (19), assists (20) and games played (75). Thompson was Boston’s eighth round pick (183rd overall) in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

Hunwick spent the majority of the 2007-2008 season in Providence where he posted 2-21-23 totals in 55 games. He was recalled to Boston on four separate occasions last year and tallied one assist in 13 games. The University of Michigan graduate was drafted by the Bruins in the seventh round (224th overall) in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.

In 42 games played for Malmo in 2007-2008, Soderberg notched 22 goals and 36 assists. Acquired from St. Louis on July 23, 2007 in exchange for Hannu Toivonen, the 22-year-old Malmo, Sweden native was originally selected by the Blues in the second round (49th overall) in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.

In addition, defenseman Mike Egener has announced his retirement from professional hockey. Egener was signed by the Bruins as a free agent on August 28, 2008 and was waived on September 28, 2008. Selected by Tampa Bay in the second round (34th overall) of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft, the 23-year-old played for four years in the AHL, appearing in 205 games and recording 6-8-14 totals.

The Bruins open their 2008-2009 regular season in Denver, Colorado on Thursday, October 9 against the Avalanche at 10:00 p.m. ET.

Source: bostonbruins.com

http://bruins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=385285

The Intimidator
10-07-2008, 05:36 PM
23 players remain on the Bruins Roster after these moves today:

14 forwards
7 defensemen
2 goalies

Obviously, we're keeping the 2 goalies. :D I'm assuming that we will get rid of another defenseman to get down to an even 6. I've been saying it for a while now, and I firmly believe that Shane Hnidy is the odd man out here. That leaves 2 forwards that need to be sent down, and I'm hoping that those two guys are Sobotka and Nokelainen. I think that you're wasting Wheeler if you keep him down in Providence. I know that there is a significant salary bump if he's up here, but it's worth it because he can do great things for this team.

Cessna
10-07-2008, 06:36 PM
too bad for Schaefer he seemed to have a decent upside but never could reach potential...

MilledgeGomez
10-07-2008, 07:18 PM
man i like schaefer hopefully he'll be back up soon

Shaiza
10-07-2008, 08:24 PM
Don't be surprised if he is picked up by someone soon. He can contribute, it's not like posting 21 pts in the league is a piece of cake. I think he has a lot left. Hopefully he goes down to Providence.

Stonevision
10-07-2008, 08:35 PM
I liked Schaefer too. But he wasn't anything close to what he was in Ottawa. He had the opportunity to play with great players like Savard and Kessel early on last year but couldn't get it done.

My question is who goes down to the baby B's? I think you have to keep Wheeler but I like both Sabotka and Noky. If I was to keep either of the 2 up it would be Sabotka. But who else might go down?

The Intimidator
10-08-2008, 11:00 AM
I liked Schaefer too. But he wasn't anything close to what he was in Ottawa. He had the opportunity to play with great players like Savard and Kessel early on last year but couldn't get it done.

My question is who goes down to the baby B's? I think you have to keep Wheeler but I like both Sabotka and Noky. If I was to keep either of the 2 up it would be Sabotka. But who else might go down?

Like I said earlier, I think that the three people who will be cut/sent down will be Hnidy (released or traded), Sobotka (Providence), and Nokelainen (Providence). Both Sobotka and Nokelainen are promising, and the fact that we may have too many good young players is a great problem to have. So I think that we send those two down, at least for the time being. They will be back throughout the season, whether it be due to an injury or because someone up here is struggling. For now, however, I think that they should be the odd men out.

abourne13
10-08-2008, 11:43 AM
I was a fan of Schaef and he was starting to turn things around in the playoffs (not by points, but with a physical presence) but this team needs something new. I agree that Schaef should be picked up by someone but the B's are on the right track with it's current line-up.

Hockeyras
10-08-2008, 02:02 PM
I was a fan of Schaef and he was starting to turn things around in the playoffs (not by points, but with a physical presence) but this team needs something new. I agree that Schaef should be picked up by someone but the B's are on the right track with it's current line-up.

Unfortunately the only time he came to play was in the playoffs...We need to get rid of his salary for Wheeler...I'd rather have Wheeler than Schaf IMO...not sure how many of you agree

beantownboy
10-08-2008, 04:56 PM
Wheeler can't develop into an NHL'er until he sees NHL time. Schaefer will not get better, Wheeler will and obviously Wheeler is already better then Schaefer. I know axelson is a good role player but i'd rather take a young talented guy and teach him defense then waste a spot on the roster for axelsons pk ability. We have so much young talent we need them to see time and develop. If axelson finishes this year with us its his last. Schaefer is a bum tho if he was worthy of an nhl position he'd have been picked up on waivers.

The Intimidator
10-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Wheeler can't develop into an NHL'er until he sees NHL time. Schaefer will not get better, Wheeler will and obviously Wheeler is already better then Schaefer. I know axelson is a good role player but i'd rather take a young talented guy and teach him defense then waste a spot on the roster for axelsons pk ability. We have so much young talent we need them to see time and develop. If axelson finishes this year with us its his last. Schaefer is a bum tho if he was worthy of an nhl position he'd have been picked up on waivers.

If you think that having Axelsson on our roster is a waste then you did not watch the playoff series against Montreal last year. Penalty killing is one of the most important aspects of hockey, and a team that can't kill penalties won't go deep into the postseason at all. You need veteran guys like Axe on your roster in order to help develop the young guys that you think so highly of. Finally, Schaefer is not a bum, and very well deserves an NHL position. He would still be with us but is the victim of a numbers issue. Too many players, not enough spots.

beantownboy
10-08-2008, 05:31 PM
why do you think we picked up yelle? hes a pk guy, a veteran, and has his name on the stanley cup twice. axelson is expendable. talent wins out. the most points schaefer has had is 50 on a sick ottawa team 3 years ago and 26 points last year. add that to axelsons 29 points last year. wheeler will have that in his first season. You need secondary scoring to have a good team. the bruins didn't have that last year. you can't teach talent but you can teach defense. axelson wont even be a regular in the lineup. PK is all positioning and it can be learned and when you have Julien teaching it its even more easy to learn. His teams are always defensive and low scoring but why not be defensive and high scoring. It'll happen soon.

beantownboy
10-08-2008, 05:35 PM
schaefer and axelson are decent players on a bad team. on a good team they aren't worth talking about. it's time we move forward. the bruins are going to be real good real soon and its not going to be because of shaefer or axelson.

The Intimidator
10-08-2008, 06:05 PM
schaefer and axelson are decent players on a bad team. on a good team they aren't worth talking about. it's time we move forward. the bruins are going to be real good real soon and its not going to be because of shaefer or axelson.

Not every team is full of superstars. First of all, we know that Schaefer is gone, seeing that the title of the thread is "schaefer released". Second of all, defense is not "easy" to teach, like you claim. If it were so easy to teach, then we wouldn't have had such a terrible defense corps the last few years. Also, PK is not strictly positioning; it is hockey sense. That isn't something that can be taught, but rather it is an intangible that you either have or you don't have. Axelsson has these qualities, and that is exactly why Axe is valueable to our team. Like I said before, if you want to compete, you need a solid mix of vets and young guys. If you want to win, you cannot go with a complete youth movement. This is why Axe will be around this season.

TopCheese101
10-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Wow, that's a shocker. Schaefer was MONEY in Ottawa.

The Intimidator
10-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Wow, that's a shocker. Schaefer was MONEY in Ottawa.

I liked him, he's just the victim of a numbers crunch over here.

beantownboy
10-08-2008, 06:37 PM
schaefer maxed out in ottawa. bergeron and is back and kobasew has done real well on pk as well. add yelle to the mix. and theres 3 real good pk players. now out of the other 9 forwards i think we'll be able to find some to fill in without a problem. we need to score more. we did an excellent job last season on defense and i think we'll only get better on defense this year with two number one goalies and one year experience of julien's defensive zone. still, we have to score more. defense is not all that hard to teach for julien. maybe for you. the only reason we made playoffs last year was defense. he has that covered. and no kidding you need hockey sense thats a given, you dont make the nhl without it. the bruins will be good on defense and pk with or without axelson. the only issue the bruins have is secondary scoring. our defense is actually better then last season.

SensandRaps
10-08-2008, 06:38 PM
hopefully he comes back to ottawa dirt cheap he had great chemistry with fisher

TopCheese101
10-08-2008, 08:15 PM
hopefully he comes back to ottawa dirt cheap he had great chemistry with fisher

That would be unreal. They were magic together.

Shaiza
10-08-2008, 09:15 PM
And to believe Donovan is still on the team.

The Intimidator
10-08-2008, 09:52 PM
schaefer maxed out in ottawa. bergeron and is back and kobasew has done real well on pk as well. add yelle to the mix. and theres 3 real good pk players. now out of the other 9 forwards i think we'll be able to find some to fill in without a problem. we need to score more. we did an excellent job last season on defense and i think we'll only get better on defense this year with two number one goalies and one year experience of julien's defensive zone. still, we have to score more. defense is not all that hard to teach for julien. maybe for you. the only reason we made playoffs last year was defense. he has that covered. and no kidding you need hockey sense thats a given, you dont make the nhl without it. the bruins will be good on defense and pk with or without axelson. the only issue the bruins have is secondary scoring. our defense is actually better then last season.

I'm tired of trying to discuss this with you. We aren't getting rid of Axelsson. End of story.

Starkonian
10-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Agreed.

The Intimidator
10-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Hey, what do you know, Axelsson played pretty well last night, and like I mentioned earlier in this thread, he is a great asset to this team.

beantownboy
10-10-2008, 05:21 PM
all i'm saying is these young guys we have are not going to be making under a million a season forever. schaefer cant get called up unless we send 2 million salary back to providence. i guess 16 minutes played and a dump in assist with one shot is a good game. axelson is not great and he is expendable. thats my point. you don't seem to get that. this team would not be worse without him and he has peaked. I understand your concern for leadership and its not like we dont have veterans like chara, savard, yelle, sturm, thomas, fernandez, and bergeron (all of whom have been in the nhl many years) along with a couple dudes by the names of cam neely and don sweeney with them everyday. i guess axelson is good for what he does, pk and 15-16 minutes a game and 20+ points/season for 2 million(really). our season would not be in turmoil if we lost him. and if we did lose him, your boy scaefer can replace him on 4th line. yahoo.

The Intimidator
10-11-2008, 09:54 AM
all i'm saying is these young guys we have are not going to be making under a million a season forever. schaefer cant get called up unless we send 2 million salary back to providence. i guess 16 minutes played and a dump in assist with one shot is a good game. axelson is not great and he is expendable. thats my point. you don't seem to get that. this team would not be worse without him and he has peaked. I understand your concern for leadership and its not like we dont have veterans like chara, savard, yelle, sturm, thomas, fernandez, and bergeron (all of whom have been in the nhl many years) along with a couple dudes by the names of cam neely and don sweeney with them everyday. i guess axelson is good for what he does, pk and 15-16 minutes a game and 20+ points/season for 2 million(really). our season would not be in turmoil if we lost him. and if we did lose him, your boy scaefer can replace him on 4th line. yahoo.

You're the only one here who seems to think that Axe is expendable, so no, there must be something that you aren't getting. Maybe you're just a bit stubborn?

beantownboy
10-11-2008, 02:32 PM
thats very possible. or i just know what i'm talkin about. its just tough listening to hear you talkin about how much of an asset he is when he was a healthy scratch some games last season on an injury bitten team. if he is that much of an asset why is he watching games from the stands with the real injured players? again the bruins would be fine without him and eventually his salary will end up someone else's and he'll be forgotten about.

Bruins37
10-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Axelsson is not expendable, he is an great asset on and off the ice.
But what do I know, you know what you are talking about and everybody else is just wrong apperantly.

The Intimidator
10-11-2008, 08:55 PM
thats very possible. or i just know what i'm talkin about. its just tough listening to hear you talkin about how much of an asset he is when he was a healthy scratch some games last season on an injury bitten team. if he is that much of an asset why is he watching games from the stands with the real injured players? again the bruins would be fine without him and eventually his salary will end up someone else's and he'll be forgotten about.

Last year, Axelsson played in 75 out of a possible 82 games. According to bruins.com, all 7 of those games he missed were due to injury, so I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say that he was a healthy scratch a lot. Now, in those 75 games played, Axe scored 13 goals and had 16 assists, for 29 points. Axe also led the team in +/-, as he was +11 last year. I don't know about you, but I want a guy who was +11 on my team any day. Furthermore, Axelsson had only 15 penalty minutes, which means that he's extremely disciplined. So no, Axe is not as expendable as you think, and clearly you do not know what you're talking about. I'm going to go with the fact that you are just plain stubborn.

beantownboy
10-12-2008, 02:25 AM
chara was +14 last year. pj +11 last year, -10 the year before, -3 year before that. Pj Axelson 7 playoff games 0 goals 0 assists. i remember him being a healthy scratch last season, my family has season tickets so i pay attention, and i tried lookin it up cant find injury reports from last season for anyone but i did find rumors for why he was a healthy scratch and it was because he was almost dealt but thats just rumors. he was healthy scratched for some games last year tho. and let me tell you how ironic it is axelson with 3 assists so far, its like he knows i'm talkin about him. altho 2 of his 3 assists came from neutral zone passes and his 2nd assist tonight i didnt see. 29 points in 75 games is not that good dude. and +11 is ok. your so used to the bruins not being good that you forgot what good is. not good is having one guy with over 70 points and the next highest scorer with 55 or something like that. 29 points and +11 and the bruins pk was 27th ranked (axelson is so good on the pk tho what happend?). and the year before he had 27 points and -10 . you think 29 points in 75 games is good cuz the rest of the team didn't have good numbers either so by comparison it is good. you forget what good is. look at all the good teams and look at stats, then look at pj axelson and bruins stats. stop being content with pj axelson being an "asset." he doesn't win you games and the bruins wouldn't be any worse without him.

beantownboy
10-12-2008, 02:28 AM
and yeah i'm a competitive athlete, stubborn is good. always look to get better, not stay where your at. look at the wings this year bringin in hossa when they don't need him. but they want tto be better. stop being content you wont win anything

The Intimidator
10-13-2008, 04:40 PM
chara was +14 last year. pj +11 last year, -10 the year before, -3 year before that. Pj Axelson 7 playoff games 0 goals 0 assists. i remember him being a healthy scratch last season, my family has season tickets so i pay attention, and i tried lookin it up cant find injury reports from last season for anyone but i did find rumors for why he was a healthy scratch and it was because he was almost dealt but thats just rumors. he was healthy scratched for some games last year tho. and let me tell you how ironic it is axelson with 3 assists so far, its like he knows i'm talkin about him. altho 2 of his 3 assists came from neutral zone passes and his 2nd assist tonight i didnt see. 29 points in 75 games is not that good dude. and +11 is ok. your so used to the bruins not being good that you forgot what good is. not good is having one guy with over 70 points and the next highest scorer with 55 or something like that. 29 points and +11 and the bruins pk was 27th ranked (axelson is so good on the pk tho what happend?). and the year before he had 27 points and -10 . you think 29 points in 75 games is good cuz the rest of the team didn't have good numbers either so by comparison it is good. you forget what good is. look at all the good teams and look at stats, then look at pj axelson and bruins stats. stop being content with pj axelson being an "asset." he doesn't win you games and the bruins wouldn't be any worse without him.

They aren't getting rid of him, so this is all a moot point. And 29 points on one of the lower lines is good.

Tomas Kaberle
10-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Rumors have it the Canes are interested in him. Frank Kaberle or Joe Corvo? Boston has to add more but I could see it happening.

beantownboy
10-13-2008, 09:10 PM
i can see it happening. put him on a line with savard get him some points up his trade value and bring in that offensive defensive we're lacking on the breakout and power play. joe corvo would be a nice addition and getting rid of axelsons salary plus we got rid of alberts salary i'm sure the bruins made that trade knowing they going to make another trade

Shaiza
10-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Schafer is not going to bring Kaberle or Corvo.
He was involved earlier with McCabe *offseason, but that deal cooled down.
However, we do have some prospects that the Canes might be interested in. That'd be great if Kaberle was added to the team. He can bring that puck up with ease.

Bruins37
10-14-2008, 10:53 AM
the year axelsson ahd -10, bergeron had -28 Savard had -19 Chara had -21. So, sure they put up more points but it dosent matter if you cant play on defence. Axelsson was one of the better +/- that year on a terrible bruins team. Hes getting older, but he still a good defensive forward, that can play against top lines and pk. hope he resigns for another year or 2.
beantownboy you clearly dont know what you are talking about

pjax
10-14-2008, 11:20 AM
The thing about Axelsson getting traded is he can only be traded to certain teams he has a No trade clause were he has to approve the trade. i heard it on the nhl network last year during the trade deadline.

pjax
10-14-2008, 11:28 AM
http://www.nhlscap.com/no_trade.htm
I also found it here.

The Intimidator
10-14-2008, 05:26 PM
the year axelsson ahd -10, bergeron had -28 Savard had -19 Chara had -21. So, sure they put up more points but it dosent matter if you cant play on defence. Axelsson was one of the better +/- that year on a terrible bruins team. Hes getting older, but he still a good defensive forward, that can play against top lines and pk. hope he resigns for another year or 2.
beantownboy you clearly dont know what you are talking about

Thank you. He conveniently forgets that the entire team had negative +/- that year, because they were so bad.

The Intimidator
10-14-2008, 05:27 PM
The thing about Axelsson getting traded is he can only be traded to certain teams he has a No trade clause were he has to approve the trade. i heard it on the nhl network last year during the trade deadline.

Thank you. Yet another reason why Axe will stay put, and deservedly so.

beantownboy
10-14-2008, 08:31 PM
so last year at the deadline axelson was worth talking about trade rumors??? why would that be if the bruins weren't shopping him?? put your emotional attachment with axelson in the closet with the rest of your secrets.

The Intimidator
10-14-2008, 11:26 PM
so last year at the deadline axelson was worth talking about trade rumors??? why would that be if the bruins weren't shopping him?? put your emotional attachment with axelson in the closet with the rest of your secrets.

Every player is talked about in trade rumors during their careers. It doesn't mean that they aren't good; it's actually quite the opposite. It means that the other team wants him. Just because you're shopped doesn't mean you aren't a good player. I have no emotional attachment to Axe; I just know that he's a key cog on this team. And btw, that last line was extremely corny. :rolleyes:

Shaiza
10-15-2008, 06:07 AM
I believe Axelsson will approve trades to places like Detroit, where he can play with his teammates in the olympics. What a fit he will be in Detroit.

pjax
10-15-2008, 09:23 AM
ya i was thinking detroit or the Ottawa Senators i know he is good freinds with Daniel Alfredsson. But i would hate to see him go, I like his style of play.

beantownboy
10-15-2008, 04:54 PM
the bruins wont win a stanley cup with this team and if they want to make playoffs by more then two points and win a series they need another impact player. by getting an impact player we'll have give someone up whos goin to go in and play immediately and also give up draft picks or prospects. we need bergeron, sturm, chara, savard, and both goalies. i would rather dish axelson and prospects or picks then anyone of those players we need. our team is young enough we don't need to trade for the future anymore, we'll end up trading for now. the bruins have a great core but lack one more offensive threat or an offensive defensemen. i think axe would waive his no trade clause if the conditions were right.

The Intimidator
10-15-2008, 07:01 PM
the bruins wont win a stanley cup with this team and if they want to make playoffs by more then two points and win a series they need another impact player. by getting an impact player we'll have give someone up whos goin to go in and play immediately and also give up draft picks or prospects. we need bergeron, sturm, chara, savard, and both goalies. i would rather dish axelson and prospects or picks then anyone of those players we need. our team is young enough we don't need to trade for the future anymore, we'll end up trading for now. the bruins have a great core but lack one more offensive threat or an offensive defensemen. i think axe would waive his no trade clause if the conditions were right.

Actually, the thing that is so great about this Bruins team is that they have balanced scoring. Sturm, Bergeron, Savard, Kessel, Ryder, Krejci, and Lucic all have a shot to score 20+ goals this season. (Wheeler has an outside shot as well.) The fact that they can spread out their scoring is what makes them so dangerous.

Oh, and btw, Axelsson was named an Assistant Captain today. I doubt he's being traded.

beantownboy
10-15-2008, 11:15 PM
joe thornton had a "c" on his jersey every game of the year when he was traded. and i'm not saying axelson is being traded today tmr or next week. when it comes time to pick up a player we'll see what happens. of anyone on the team, who would you part with that has value? lucic wont score 20, neither will wheeler. and if all goes well everyone stays healthy those other plays should get 20+. but it would be nice to have a 30-40 goal scorer and we have the peices to go out and get one without weakening the team.

The Intimidator
10-16-2008, 12:09 AM
joe thornton had a "c" on his jersey every game of the year when he was traded. and i'm not saying axelson is being traded today tmr or next week. when it comes time to pick up a player we'll see what happens. of anyone on the team, who would you part with that has value? lucic wont score 20, neither will wheeler. and if all goes well everyone stays healthy those other plays should get 20+. but it would be nice to have a 30-40 goal scorer and we have the peices to go out and get one without weakening the team.

I said that Wheeler had an outside shot, so yeah, there's a chance he won't score 20 either. Lucic has a really good shot though. He scored 8 last season, and the majority of them came in the second half of the season, when he started to develop more of a scoring touch. The Thornton argument is valid though. A player can be traded if he is a captain or an assistant captain, I know that. I'm just saying that they wouldn't have given Axelsson the "A" on his jersey if they thought he was expendable and not an important cog on this team.

beantownboy
10-16-2008, 04:14 PM
if you've been on a team for 10 years and the team is currently young and new faced you better have a letter. lucic won't score 20 because that won't be his role. with ryder and bergeron back there will be less of a need for lucic to score, although you will take goals from anyone. lucic will be third line all year just being a power forward and playing physically. tough for a 3rd liner to get 20+ goals. you still need a dominate goal scorer and not just play makers. i think having axelson on savard and ryders line will help him get points and i also think putting a letter on his jersey is a great idea. both increase trade value. i just think of anyone on this team we can trade away without getting rid of the solid core it would be axelson and prospects or picks. but at the same time if we wanted to bring another player in he cant put us over the cap. the season is young, only time will tell.

The Intimidator
10-16-2008, 04:28 PM
if you've been on a team for 10 years and the team is currently young and new faced you better have a letter. lucic won't score 20 because that won't be his role. with ryder and bergeron back there will be less of a need for lucic to score, although you will take goals from anyone. lucic will be third line all year just being a power forward and playing physically. tough for a 3rd liner to get 20+ goals. you still need a dominate goal scorer and not just play makers. i think having axelson on savard and ryders line will help him get points and i also think putting a letter on his jersey is a great idea. both increase trade value. i just think of anyone on this team we can trade away without getting rid of the solid core it would be axelson and prospects or picks. but at the same time if we wanted to bring another player in he cant put us over the cap. the season is young, only time will tell.

I still think that you're a little too obsessed with the "young guys" factor. Just because the majority of the team is young doesn't mean that we can't have veterans around them, to help them grow. Your point about Lucic is solid though. The more I think about it, you're right, he won't be counted on to score. I do see him increasing his point total by quite a bit, though.