PDA

View Full Version : George Karl Tells Iverson, Anthony To Shoot Less

JordansBulls
10-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Source: Boston (http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2008/10/05/still_sour_around_apple/?page=2)

NBA sources said Karl told Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony at the beginning of training camp that they would have to make a much stronger effort to get their teammates more involved offensively. Iverson averaged 26.4 points and 18.9 field goal attempts per game last season while Anthony averaged 22.5 points and 19.2 field goal attempts. In light of the team defense being ridiculed last season, Karl also worked on nothing but defense during the first four days of practice.

BkOriginalOne
10-07-2008, 01:27 PM
If they each give up 2 shots a game, thats about 12 extra points for J.R Smith. I see the logic, haha.

Kohaku
10-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Lol he should have told them that like..1 year ago? I guess they won't be the top scoring duo this year O.o.

Beno7500
10-07-2008, 01:50 PM
They are such ballhogs

JayW_1023
10-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Hopefully it'll pay off.

L@ker4Life
10-07-2008, 02:04 PM
They need D. It doesnt matter who scores....At the same time its hard to get everyone putting their all in D if they dont touch the ball on O.

SeoulBeatz
10-07-2008, 02:14 PM
They are such ballhogs

indeed they are. but iverson is a scorer, and its good to see him get 6+ apg even while shooting so much.

but now that we're talking about ballhogs, didn't Kevin Martin only average 2.1 apg last year?
and didn't he shoot a worse percentage from the field than Allen Iverson?

im just saying my piece :)

Beno7500
10-07-2008, 02:18 PM
indeed they are. but iverson is a scorer, and its good to see him get 6+ apg even while shooting so much.

but now that we're talking about ballhogs, didn't Kevin Martin only average 2.1 apg last year?

1) Kevin Martin isn't a Combo guard, so he doesnt play a point guard role.

2) Iverson averaged .002 % better shooting percentage than martin
- Martin shot 40% from 3 while iverson only shot 35%

3) Iverson played 5 more minutes per game so he could do more becuase he played longer

4) martin only played 57 games last season. how much did iverson play?

MiamiHeat
10-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Allen Iverson is one of my favorites
but it seemed right to post this pic :D

http://i35.tinypic.com/2hxlxjl.gif

rhino17
10-07-2008, 02:38 PM
scoring isnt their problem, idk why they need to shoot less, they are both good scorers. Its defense they need to worry about

JMan17
10-07-2008, 03:04 PM
1) Kevin Martin isn't a Combo guard, so he doesnt play a point guard role.

3) Iverson played 5 more minutes per game so he could do more becuase he played longer

Kobe does not play a point guard role either but he avg 5.4 ast as well but many ppl call him a ball hog? hmmmm.

5 min hahaha. wow he played 5 min longer. that's how long it takes to go to the bathroom, take a ****, and come back out.

pd7631
10-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Good time to decide to start playing defense after they just traded one of the best defensive players in the league for a bag of balls. If anything they should just be trying to score 120 points a game.

Philapsychosis
10-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Ahhhh, AI shooting less. Welcome to Larry Browns hell

Ansy
10-07-2008, 04:36 PM
What he hell? This makes no sense.

Carmelo had his most efficient year last year, averaging fewer ppg than in the two previous years while shooting his best FG% and TS% yet. He doesn't need to shoot less, he needs to suck less at defense.

Iverson also had the most efficient year of his career last year, shooting less than usual at a higher FG%, TS%, 3pt% and eFG% than ever before! If you think he's shooting too much now than you shouldn't have traded for him because last year was the best team ball he ever played!

The guys both played the most unselfish and efficient ball of their careers last year. The team failed in other departments such as fast break points and defense.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
10-07-2008, 05:06 PM
They are such ballhogs

I wasn't gonna say nothin... Till u had to diss AI and Melo.

AI averaged more assists then KMart. long story short.. AI isn't a ballhog.

Melo however is a ballhog and he even managed to get more assists then Kmart.

'Nuff Said.

Lakersfan2483
10-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Source: Boston (http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2008/10/05/still_sour_around_apple/?page=2)

I definitely think Carmelo needs to expand his game, he has to learn to make others better. Iverson was not the problem last year.

JayW_1023
10-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Assist numbers can be misleading if you want to measure the degree of 'unselfishness' in a player. Marbury also racks up assists. Alot of players only pass when they know it's counted as an assist. Neither Iverson nor 'Melo are WILLING passers.

IversonIsKrazy
10-08-2008, 01:04 AM
AI is notta ballhogg man, melo on the other hand needs 2 pass tha rock more often. AI averaged more than 7apg. he plays SG, i mean c'mon. i h8 it when ppl call him a ballhogg. ever since he went 2 denver he shot less and got a better fg%. look at the stats, if u wanna call sum1 a ballhogg look. ai averaged more points than melo w/ the same # of shots. 4get abt stats then. AI CAN b that passer, but he has 2 b on a team that doesnt need as much as scoring, which was a thought when he came 2 denver. He was pretty much carrying the nugz on his back like in philly considering how hard the west was. Watch, if ai shot less, and passed more, nugz would lose and b one of the worst teams. AI is one of the best the NBA has ever seen, and ever will! Melo is the problem. d-fence is the problem.

DenButsu
10-08-2008, 02:26 AM
Assist numbers can be misleading if you want to measure the degree of 'unselfishness' in a player. Marbury also racks up assists. Alot of players only pass when they know it's counted as an assist. Neither Iverson nor 'Melo are WILLING passers.

What, are you an assists psychoanalyst or something? :rolleyes: Can you peer into Iverson's soul to divine the motives of his passes? Fact of the matter is, not one SG/SF combo in the league that I know of (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) averages over 10 assists except for AI and Melo. And as far as Melo's numbers go, people always compare him to LeBron, which is ridiculous since Melo (unlike LBJ is NOT a primary ball handler, and the offense does not flow through him, it flows to him. Not to mention he has, for most of his career, not had anyone to dish off to down low. With Nene replacing Camby, Melo's assist numbers increase this season for sure.

And JB, what's with not posting this in the Nugs forum, too? :p

The Melky Way
10-08-2008, 02:40 AM
Where is the article that has Iverson and Anthony saying....

"Coach Karl, how bout you get out there and try to play the low post and get us some F'ing rebounds and open up the paint.

adamsison
10-08-2008, 03:44 AM
first of all melo averaged 25.7 not 22.9

melo isnt a ball hog, he is a willing passer, but the nuggets dont have any outside shooters outside of jr smith. Melo averages close to 4 assists. not many other players who average 25+ have 4 assists per game.

i would be glad to see iverson play point and pass the ball more and let j.r smith start or kleiza (both have 3 point range).
also if he plays point his over dribbling would make some sense, but still would like to see the nuggets pass more.

DenButsu
10-08-2008, 04:39 AM
first of all melo averaged 25.7 not 22.9

melo isnt a ball hog, he is a willing passer, but the nuggets dont have any outside shooters outside of jr smith. Melo averages close to 4 assists. not many other players who average 25+ have 4 assists per game.

i would be glad to see iverson play point and pass the ball more and let j.r smith start or kleiza (both have 3 point range).
also if he plays point his over dribbling would make some sense, but still would like to see the nuggets pass more.

I would too, actually. And I think they will. Juwon Howard will be another option as a shooter to bring in. Balkman might not have a good shot, but he's a solid ball handler who can be involved in facilitating movement. K-Mart can actually be a really solid passer if he's operating in the context of organized offensive sets which, with Nene in the mix, they should be.

Nice 1st post. :cheers:

JayW_1023
10-08-2008, 04:55 AM
What, are you an assists psychoanalyst or something? :rolleyes: Can you peer into Iverson's soul to divine the motives of his passes? Fact of the matter is, not one SG/SF combo in the league that I know of (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) averages over 10 assists except for AI and Melo. And as far as Melo's numbers go, people always compare him to LeBron, which is ridiculous since Melo (unlike LBJ is NOT a primary ball handler, and the offense does not flow through him, it flows to him. Not to mention he has, for most of his career, not had anyone to dish off to down low. With Nene replacing Camby, Melo's assist numbers increase this season for sure.

Lol, no it's actually much simpler. I just watch what they do on the court. Iversons assists come from penetration, Melo's assist come usually when we is double teamed from the weak side. They usually only pass when they know a teammate is in a position to score or when they fail to score on isolation plays as opposed to just willingly pass the ball.

LeBron has great court vision and that makes him very valuable as to knowing where his teammates will be. Even though he scores alot...he always looks out for setting up his teammates. He is a superstar that mostly flows with action, although LeBrons shot selection is sometimes questionable too...especially in half court situations. But LeBron is one of the few superstars that willingly passes the ball and knows the importance of keeping the ball moving. The thing is...when you have a player who can create like LeBron he will find you when you're open.

A.I. and 'Melo have more of a scorers mentality and look to score almost everytime down the floor. But they don't have the court awareness to be above average facilitators. They only seem to care about dishing when the defense denies them opportunities to score. I can't even count how many times Iverson decided to force shots while there are guys who are in much better position to score. That's just the scorers mentality there. I respect Iverson for his toughness and competitive spirit, but like Melo his decisionmaking on the floor is questionable.

All in all assists numbers don't mean all that much...it's one of the many misleading statistics in the game of basketball. It doesn't really say enough on wether a player is playing within the offense or disrupting it.

DenButsu
10-08-2008, 05:16 AM
So, last season, when the starting 5 was in, Melo and AI should have been dishing off to which of these legendary shooters?:

Anthony Carter
Kenyon Martin
Marcus Camby

?

bigmac8675
10-08-2008, 05:21 AM
We will see if it actually happens.....

JayW_1023
10-08-2008, 08:34 AM
So, last season, when the starting 5 was in, Melo and AI should have been dishing off to which of these legendary shooters?:

Anthony Carter
Kenyon Martin
Marcus Camby

?

It would at least help not to waste 5 seconds per shotclock on fancy dribbling moves.

DenButsu
10-08-2008, 10:43 AM
It would at least help not to waste 5 seconds per shotclock on fancy dribbling moves.

Okay, first of all sorry about that last post. It was contrite because I was at work and didn't have more time for anything other than a very brief reply. The point made is still valid, I think, but not well explained.

AI dribbles too much. And if you search the Nuggets forum for posts including "iverson" written by "denbutsu", you'll see that I've probably been the most vocal critic of that in that forum. So you're preaching to the choir on that one.

And apologies again, because I've got to split - hectic things at home right now - but I'll return to this in more detail when I can, tomorrow...

JayW_1023
10-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Okay, first of all sorry about that last post. It was contrite because I was at work and didn't have more time for anything other than a very brief reply. The point made is still valid, I think, but not well explained.

AI dribbles too much. And if you search the Nuggets forum for posts including "iverson" written by "denbutsu", you'll see that I've probably been the most vocal critic of that in that forum. So you're preaching to the choir on that one.

And apologies again, because I've got to split - hectic things at home right now - but I'll return to this in more detail when I can, tomorrow...

Dude, I understand :cheers:. No sweat. Better take out frustrations on an NBA forum in the context of just talking about basketball than elsewhere in the vicinity.

Vidball
10-08-2008, 01:08 PM
I actually think AI and Melo would be a HUGE threat in the West if they had a low post scoring option on the team. Whether or not they turn to more of a team game, the game won't open up too much for their teammates without a presence on the block.

IBleedPurple
10-08-2008, 01:26 PM

Luckily we don't have to worry about Kevin Martin, because he is not on our team

{}
10-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Oh no he dadn't! GIRRRRRL!

Denver will have two pissed off Diva's this season. I can imagine AI and Melo sitting in a beauty salon right now getting their hair braided and telling the girl giving them a pedicure how upset they are with Carl.