PDA

View Full Version : will the O/D line ever step up?

BRADY4MVP
10-06-2008, 12:56 PM
our Offensive and Defensive lines have looked terrible this year, for the most part. sunday, against a 49ers team that was on-pace to have 60 something sacks *against*, our front 4 couldnt do a thing. Seymour was NO WHERE to be found....its getting pathetic for the once "best front 4 in football" they need to step up, like we all know they can.....

and the Offensive line looks lost. Kazcur dove OUT OF SOMEONEs way yesterday.....i dont know what the hell is going on with all of our "PRO BOWLERS" on the line.....

does anyone have any answers?!?!?!? i had to rant, sorry....

The Intimidator
10-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Just like the Maroney thread, this is a bit unnecessary. Both the O-Line and the D-Line looked a bit sluggish early on, which was the main contributor to the 14-7 first quarter deficit. From the second quarter on, however, the Pats outscored the niners 23-7. Offensively, Cassel was much better protected, the run game opened up quite a bit, and they were able to move the ball more effectively. Defensively, the Pats got much more pressure on O'Sullivan, to the point where he made some bad throws that resulted in picks. The lines are fine, just relax.

BRADY4MVP
10-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Just like the Maroney thread, this is a bit unnecessary. Both the O-Line and the D-Line looked a bit sluggish early on, which was the main contributor to the 14-7 first quarter deficit. From the second quarter on, however, the Pats outscored the niners 23-7. Offensively, Cassel was much better protected, the run game opened up quite a bit, and they were able to move the ball more effectively. Defensively, the Pats got much more pressure on O'Sullivan, to the point where he made some bad throws that resulted in picks. The lines are fine, just relax.

i think we are going to have to agree to disagree here. i think our o-line hasnt played anywhere close to what they did last year. when the pocket is collapsing, how the heck can cassel have a chance? brady was so good side-stepping that maybe we didnt realize that the o-line certainly had their holes?

cmoneytakemoney
10-06-2008, 03:23 PM

He was sacked 6 times man.

griff141
10-06-2008, 03:33 PM

That was mainly due to Cassel's indecisiveness. He's made strides already but he's still maturing, he'll take a sack whereas other QB's will either check it down or throw it away. He also can't read the defenses like Brady can. We are always seeing Brady identify blitzes and changing the protection schemes to buy more time in the pocket. Cassel will continue to improve and by the end of the season we will see a completely different Matt Cassel then what we saw in his first few starts. I'm not concerned about our lines yet, they will get it together and come on strong like always.

BostonHooligan1
10-06-2008, 04:24 PM
i belive the big difference with the o-line this year is the fact that they are playing more run plays.... something that last year they didnt do much of. to switch from being a 90 percent passing team to a 90 percent run team, and only have what 4 weeks since brady went down to convert is going to take a toll on them....hopefully with as gifted as they were proclaimed they will step it up. And with the D-line, im sorry to say it but they are getting old. Harrison in the back field blew that touchdown coverage and seems like he has lost a FEW steps.... we need to rebuild or defense with younger guyz.... I am a HUGE bruschi fan....but , as painful as this is, i think its time to think about another MLB. maybe put Bruschi on to teach some new guyz....its getting to be the time, not everyone stays young forever...and our defense is showing it.

The Intimidator
10-06-2008, 04:53 PM

That had little to do with his protection. And I know it doesn't make much of a difference, but it was only 5 times. The bottom line is that you can't just look at the stats in this case. There were at least 3 sacks where Cassel had great protection, but appeared to not be able to find anyone downfield. He held on to the ball for too long, and was then brought down for a sack. As he begins to read defenses better, and makes decisions quicker, the sacks will decline. Don't worry!!!

BostonHooligan1
10-06-2008, 06:38 PM
That had little to do with his protection. And I know it doesn't make much of a difference, but it was only 5 times. The bottom line is that you can't just look at the stats in this case. There were at least 3 sacks where Cassel had great protection, but appeared to not be able to find anyone downfield. He held on to the ball for too long, and was then brought down for a sack. As he begins to read defenses better, and makes decisions quicker, the sacks will decline. Don't worry!!!

honestly im over cassel. He played like a high school QB. get rid of the ball damnit it. I really think for the sake of the year we need to get a VETEREN Q.B. this is rediculous, risking the whole year on a Q.B who isnt going to get better. I dont think we deserve to be the laughing stocks of the league....we had a hard time beating S.F. thats scary

The Intimidator
10-06-2008, 07:46 PM
honestly im over cassel. He played like a high school QB. get rid of the ball damnit it. I really think for the sake of the year we need to get a VETEREN Q.B. this is rediculous, risking the whole year on a Q.B who isnt going to get better. I dont think we deserve to be the laughing stocks of the league....we had a hard time beating S.F. thats scary

As I have mentioned in other threads, where would this veteran QB come from? Any QB who is even slightly competant is already on an NFL roster. Who exactly is available on the streets that you would be comfortable handing over our offense to? For all the Garcia lovers: Griese is banged up, so Garcia will most likely be playing. Cassel isn't perfect, but we are 3-1 with him as our QB. Unless you know something that I don't, it looks like we're keeping this in-house.

BostonHooligan1
10-06-2008, 11:22 PM
As I have mentioned in other threads, where would this veteran QB come from? Any QB who is even slightly competant is already on an NFL roster. Who exactly is available on the streets that you would be comfortable handing over our offense to? For all the Garcia lovers: Griese is banged up, so Garcia will most likely be playing. Cassel isn't perfect, but we are 3-1 with him as our QB. Unless you know something that I don't, it looks like we're keeping this in-house.

what about an opt for Leftwhich? hahaha nevermind your right :clap:

Patsfan56
10-08-2008, 04:53 AM
I am still somewhat concerned about the O Line. I did not see them opening holes the way they need to for Maroney to be very successful. I saw pressure coming almost all afternoon. I will grant that Cassell needed more time than normal, and Maroney has issues at times committing to a hole. But we knew those things going in. They are going to need to bring it together soon, along with Cassell needing to learn to get rid of the ball, and Maroney learning to commit.

If course at 3-1 it definitely isn't all bad. I am hopeful it will come together.

Crickr
10-08-2008, 09:18 AM
I am not as concerned about the D as I am about the O line . Yes it was designed for Brady and now Cassel is there so there must be adjustments there just seems to be some big holes there.

BRADY4MVP
10-08-2008, 09:34 AM
I am not as concerned about the D as I am about the O line . Yes it was designed for Brady and now Cassel is there so there must be adjustments there just seems to be some big holes there.

no kidding...its been terrible for the most part