PDA

View Full Version : Mayo emerges for Grizzlies

Big Quett
10-06-2008, 01:56 AM
Rookie's game blending well with team's veterans

He often talks barely above a whisper.

O.J. Mayo clearly wants his game to speak at a high volume.

And the Grizzlies like the tone from their 6-5 rookie guard after one week of training camp.

He arrives early and stays late. His competitive spirit never needs booster cables. Mayo is making a smooth transition so far.

"He's shown everything he's shown before," Griz head coach Marc Iavaroni said, referring to Mayo's offseason work.

"He's tremendous competitor. He pays a lot of attention to defense. He's got a balanced game. He's learning that he can be an assassin in this league."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/oct/06/mayo-emerges-for-griz/

I like to see that work ethic in a player.

Beno7500
10-06-2008, 02:02 AM
Jason Thompson is doing the same thing. i can give a link if you want

marvILLous
10-06-2008, 02:25 AM
my sig is for you :)

Big Quett
10-06-2008, 03:49 AM

lol dude i luv it no homo

oldenpolynice
10-06-2008, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I read that article too. Mayo is going to be one of the great players in this league very soon. Hard worker, competitive, has natural talent, works on the parts of his game that most other guys don't want to work on.

He's going to be a star. Hands down. I have no doubt.

Here's my full take on Mayo:

http://davissportsdeli.com/wordpress/2008/10/05/mayo-becoming-a-star-in-memphis/

da wood
10-06-2008, 05:19 PM

is that 2k or live

oshea225
10-06-2008, 05:23 PM
hope he lives up to the hype. kinda like him

_Supreme_
10-06-2008, 05:23 PM
is that 2k or live

Hehe, I wanted to ask him which game that was since the other team is the Heat, but obviously Miami hasn't played the Grizz with those players on the court, so it's 2K.

Looks real good though, except for that he dunks on the Heat of course :D

da wood
10-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Yeah, I read that article too. Mayo is going to be one of the great players in this league very soon. Hard worker, competitive, has natural talent, works on the parts of his game that most other guys don't want to work on.

http://davissportsdeli.com/wordpress/2008/10/05/mayo-becoming-a-star-in-memphis/

now i have read the article too and i like what i am hearing i was a lil upset he didn't get as much love compared to rose when it came down to it. what people don't realize is that the path was set of for rose to achieve greatness. as far as match ups. he played against guards 6'0 and under in the first three rounds. where as not only did mayo get beasley in the first round but he ended up going agaist ol boy that hhe played with in high school talk about knowing your opponant. mayo was a great pick up for the grizz

da wood
10-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Hehe, I wanted to ask him which game that was since the other team is the Heat, but obviously Miami hasn't played the Grizz with those players on the court, so it's 2K.

Looks real good though, except for that he dunks on the Heat of course :D

yeah but it could be live too though. can't it?

MiamiHeat
10-06-2008, 05:50 PM
That sig is sweet,
the game looks sweet :)
I see Beasley,Haslem and Marion
and is that Wade?

knicks1214
10-06-2008, 05:54 PM
This is why he was my favorite college player and I wanted him to get drafted by the Knicks since he was a high school senior...the kid has a great attitude, is always looking to get better, and is already incredibly talented.

marvILLous
10-06-2008, 06:11 PM
yeah but it could be live too though. can't it?

it is 2k.
live can NEVER be that smooth :p

marvILLous
10-06-2008, 06:12 PM
That sig is sweet,
the game looks sweet :)
I see Beasley,Haslem and Marion
and is that Wade?

yah he's at the corner guarding gay lol

Hawkeye15
10-06-2008, 06:36 PM
he aint 6'5", but whatever. No doubt Mayo will be a good scorer in the NBA. But what else is he going to do? I have my doubts he will be a star. I think you are looking at Ben Gordon Jr. Only time will tell

JayW_1023
10-06-2008, 06:48 PM
Mayo has been overhyped...people are treating him as Kobe: the second coming. Not saying he hasn't got the potential though...

knicks1214
10-06-2008, 06:49 PM
I say in between Ben Gordon and D Wade. But, with more point guard skills.

Hawkeye15
10-06-2008, 06:52 PM
I say in between Ben Gordon and D Wade. But, with more point guard skills.

point guards should probably get more assists than turnovers, I am just saying

knicks1214
10-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Yea I know that but still, last year he was forced to pretty much do everything. He controlled the ball most of the game. With a few years under his belt, maybe 2 years, I can see him as a player in between BG and wADE.

Big Quett
10-06-2008, 07:06 PM
he aint 6'5", but whatever. No doubt Mayo will be a good scorer in the NBA. But what else is he going to do? I have my doubts he will be a star. I think you are looking at Ben Gordon Jr. Only time will tell

He is 6'4. I just seen him in person Saturday he is a legit 6'4. But he will play D that what else he is going to do. Ben gordon doesnt do that nor does he show any willingness to do so. Mayo WANTS to be a great defender and actually focuses on it.

point guards should probably get more assists than turnovers, I am just saying

And he will not play point. And nobody says anything about D Wade always among the top of the league in turnovers look it up.

Hawkeye15
10-06-2008, 07:12 PM
He is 6'4. I just seen him in person Saturday he is a legit 6'4. But he will play D that what else he is going to do. Ben gordon doesnt do that nor does he show any willingness to do so. Mayo WANTS to be a great defender and actually focuses on it.

And he will not play point. And nobody says anything about D Wade always among the top of the league in turnovers look it up.

I agreed, Mayo is not a point guard. That is why I wrote that. Gordon did play defense, when the whole team bought into it. I don't see more than Gordon. He has every opportunity to prove me wrong. But he is overhyped. And although he was a frosh, he is 21 at the first of the season, so he is the physical maturity of a junior. There is nothing wrong with 19 ppg, on high percentages. I can't believe people think it is a criticism. But he isn't the next Kobe. Please

HiphopRelated
10-06-2008, 07:20 PM

LMAO @ all the comments(uninformed) about Beasley...the fukk??

JOSETHEALLSTAR
10-06-2008, 11:20 PM
nice to see hes working hard

pete_one
10-07-2008, 01:26 AM
they should call him O.J. "Honey" Mayo, cuz he's sweet on the Grizzlies...

Big Quett
10-07-2008, 01:45 AM
I agreed, Mayo is not a point guard. That is why I wrote that. Gordon did play defense, when the whole team bought into it. I don't see more than Gordon. He has every opportunity to prove me wrong. But he is overhyped. And although he was a frosh, he is 21 at the first of the season, so he is the physical maturity of a junior. There is nothing wrong with 19 ppg, on high percentages. I can't believe people think it is a criticism. But he isn't the next Kobe. Please

No you said it in a condescending way. And the guy said point guard skills. And i agree I think the comparison with Kobe is a bit premature but Kobe's career fg percentage is right around 45% and 34% for 3's. Mayo shot 44% and 41% in 3's. So i really dont get your point about shooting percentages. So what would you think is an respectable shooting %?

Kobe career http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3118/career;_ylt=AtkGzIFH_MuoTTnKiiB2KpikvLYF

Mayo at USC http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/teams/uad/stats

CrowninMe
10-07-2008, 02:32 AM
Mayo will be great in a year. Give him a rookie season of mistakes, then he'll tear it up. His team is growing with him which is great. They will be fun to watch this year regardless.

ryanph30
10-07-2008, 02:36 AM
Good thing the Wolves traded him. :pity:

**** you Kevin Mchale, **** you.

Hawkeye15
10-07-2008, 01:15 PM
No you said it in a condescending way. And the guy said point guard skills. And i agree I think the comparison with Kobe is a bit premature but Kobe's career fg percentage is right around 45% and 34% for 3's. Mayo shot 44% and 41% in 3's. So i really dont get your point about shooting percentages. So what would you think is an respectable shooting %?

Kobe career http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3118/career;_ylt=AtkGzIFH_MuoTTnKiiB2KpikvLYF

Mayo at USC http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/teams/uad/stats

He aint shooting that in the NBA. Line is farther, defenses are WAY better. Guys like Kobe won't have high %, they are forced to create offense when there is none with the shot clock winding down. Mayo will not be that type of player IMO. He will be Ben Gordon. I already stated that. He could be better, he could be worse. I am only stating my opinion on the guy. I think he is hype. For a undersized shooting guard, which Mayo is, he would have to shoot 45% from the field, and 38% from the three point line to be considered a good shooter in my opinion. I don't think you will get more than 20-3-4 out of him. And above average defense.
And if Kobe would have gone to college, I think he would have had just as good of stats as Mayo, even though he would have been over a year younger. Dude, you are not changing my opinion. Only Mayo is by proving he is a star.

Big Quett
10-07-2008, 02:09 PM
He aint shooting that in the NBA. Line is farther, defenses are WAY better. Guys like Kobe won't have high %, they are forced to create offense when there is none with the shot clock winding down. Mayo will not be that type of player IMO. He will be Ben Gordon. I already stated that. He could be better, he could be worse. I am only stating my opinion on the guy. I think he is hype. For a undersized shooting guard, which Mayo is, he would have to shoot 45% from the field, and 38% from the three point line to be considered a good shooter in my opinion. I don't think you will get more than 20-3-4 out of him. And above average defense.
And if Kobe would have gone to college, I think he would have had just as good of stats as Mayo, even though he would have been over a year younger. Dude, you are not changing my opinion. Only Mayo is by proving he is a star.

Im trying to see what your beef with him is. You said he didnt shoot good percentages and when i prove you wrong you find another way to criticize him dont you. And not your talking about his height last time I checked he was the same height as D Wade at 6'4. And i dont think he has any problem has he? I think he is the next D Wade. A great and clutch scorer and solid defender. All you have to say is his turnovers. Wade is perhaps one of the greatest in the game today and nobody says anything about his career 4 turnovers a game. So before you judge him atleast get the facts straight. I think he Wade with more range.

P.S. not trying to change your mind just sticking up for my guy.

thedfactor
10-07-2008, 02:22 PM
I have always heard O.J. Mayo was really good. I saw some highlights from high school and a few games at USC. I never thought of him as the hard working, gym-rat he is gaining credit to be. Therefore I have read about him and watched more of his videos...this guy is awesome. I really feel he was the best player in the draft. Beasley and Rose, nice players, but Mayo has the potential to be an elite league stud eventually. Nice work by Memphis acquiring him to patch up the wounds of the Gasol deal. As a Mavericks fan I will be excited to watch him play us this year. O.J. for R.O.Y.

JMan17
10-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Mayo is gonna be amazing, i have no clue why the wolves traded him, he's got star pot. written all over him.

Hawkeye15
10-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Mayo is gonna be amazing, i have no clue why the wolves traded him, he's got star pot. written all over him.

I was actually upset that they didn't move him when I went to bed. I was happy when I woke up, and they got what they did for him. I have never been a fan of his. I just don't see a high ceiling on him.

Hawkeye15
10-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Im trying to see what your beef with him is. You said he didnt shoot good percentages and when i prove you wrong you find another way to criticize him dont you. And not your talking about his height last time I checked he was the same height as D Wade at 6'4. And i dont think he has any problem has he? I think he is the next D Wade. A great and clutch scorer and solid defender. All you have to say is his turnovers. Wade is perhaps one of the greatest in the game today and nobody says anything about his career 4 turnovers a game. So before you judge him atleast get the facts straight. I think he Wade with more range.

P.S. not trying to change your mind just sticking up for my guy.

Well, his lateral quickness is not that great according to many scouts. He is not a good decision maker. He was a year older than the average freshman. He is an undersized shooting guard, Wade is a freak athlete, so that is a bad comparison. I think he is one dimensional. Shooting percentages in college mean what? If he is going to even be an average pro, he should dominate in college. I have no beef with him personally. I am simply stating I don't see star potential in him. I wish him the best of luck in his NBA career, but I am not expecting what you are. The Wade comparisons are ridic. They are the same height, and kinda similar in build. That is the extent of the comparisons. Mayo is a shooter. Wade is a slasher. Mayo's quickness is average. Wade is a cat. My comparison is Ben Gordon. Yours is Wade. Lets cool it, and see who is closer in the next 2 years;)
P.S. If you see something that turns you on to his potential, you should defend it. I always like Love, even before my Wolves got him. Many don't see him even being average. I stick up for him all over these boards. By no means do I get everything right. That is for certain. Keep sticking up for your guy, that is what you are supposed to do

Big Quett
10-07-2008, 10:55 PM
Well, his lateral quickness is not that great according to many scouts. He is not a good decision maker. He was a year older than the average freshman. He is an undersized shooting guard, Wade is a freak athlete, so that is a bad comparison. I think he is one dimensional. Shooting percentages in college mean what? If he is going to even be an average pro, he should dominate in college. I have no beef with him personally. I am simply stating I don't see star potential in him. I wish him the best of luck in his NBA career, but I am not expecting what you are. The Wade comparisons are ridic. They are the same height, and kinda similar in build. That is the extent of the comparisons. Mayo is a shooter. Wade is a slasher. Mayo's quickness is average. Wade is a cat. My comparison is Ben Gordon. Yours is Wade. Lets cool it, and see who is closer in the next 2 years;)
P.S. If you see something that turns you on to his potential, you should defend it. I always like Love, even before my Wolves got him. Many don't see him even being average. I stick up for him all over these boards. By no means do I get everything right. That is for certain. Keep sticking up for your guy, that is what you are supposed to do

i brought up his college percentages because you continually say he is a bad percentage shooter. And that is obviously just your opinion because you have no proof of it. That is just your perception since every stat proves you wrong. and you dont have to worry about me i am going to keep defending him. And i guess i feel the same way about Love as u feel about Mayo. I really dont feel Love will be anything special. I think he will be solid as best. i was really upset when i went to sleep and all we had was him.I think the kid arthur will be better than him in the long run. I guess we will have to wait and see who won in this trade. And one more thing how do u feel Mayo is not as athletic as wade? Mayo has a 42 inch vertical. I agree with one thing i think wade is a bit quicker and stronger than he is but as u know he will get stronger

And im out. I really enjoyed this back and forth with you and good luck to your wovles man.

Tony_Starks
10-08-2008, 10:58 AM

Any comparison to Gordon is a insult. Gordon plays no D, he's not a clutchplayer, not a leader or decision maker, and is basically a catch and shoot guy.

OJ plays D, is waaaaaay more athletic than BG, and is a leader. You'll be eating your words pretty soon.

Also I find it funny your so down on OJ but so high on KLove? This dude looked slow, clumsy and unathletic at times in college and thats when he has the size advantage on half his opponents(ala Sean May). What do you think will happen now against guys who are just as big and stronger/quicker than him?
He's a poor mans Brad Miller, AT BEST.

Hawkeye15
10-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Any comparison to Gordon is a insult. Gordon plays no D, he's not a clutchplayer, not a leader or decision maker, and is basically a catch and shoot guy.

OJ plays D, is waaaaaay more athletic than BG, and is a leader. You'll be eating your words pretty soon.

Also I find it funny your so down on OJ but so high on KLove? This dude looked slow, clumsy and unathletic at times in college and thats when he has the size advantage on half his opponents(ala Sean May). What do you think will happen now against guys who are just as big and stronger/quicker than him?
He's a poor mans Brad Miller, AT BEST.

Your opinion on Mayo, not mine. How is it insulting to compare a guy who has never played an NBA game to a 19 ppg scorer? Wow.
And I think Love will be good because his skill level is off the charts. Larry Bird was a slow white guy, he turned out okay. I am by no means comparing the two, but you can't judge a book by its cover. Not when actual basketball skills are in play. I could care less if I get bashed for not being high on Mayo. That is why the Wolves took him at #3. They knew a lot of teams would overvalue him. They got a player who is at least equal in Love, and a vet in Miller, who is a top flight shooter and player. Great trade.

Big Quett
10-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Your opinion on Mayo, not mine. How is it insulting to compare a guy who has never played an NBA game to a 19 ppg scorer? Wow.
And I think Love will be good because his skill level is off the charts. Larry Bird was a slow white guy, he turned out okay. I am by no means comparing the two, but you can't judge a book by its cover. Not when actual basketball skills are in play. I could care less if I get bashed for not being high on Mayo. That is why the Wolves took him at #3. They knew a lot of teams would overvalue him. They got a player who is at least equal in Love, and a vet in Miller, who is a top flight shooter and player. Great trade.

And yet you judge Mayo and say he is not going to be anything special. That is hypocrisy at its finest.

Cavs_Fan24
10-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Mayo is gonna be a top player in the NBA in 3-4 years. He is one of my favourite players and i hope he helps the Grizz contend for years to come and makes a run at ROY this season.

Hawkeye15
10-08-2008, 10:34 PM
And yet you judge Mayo and say he is not going to be anything special. That is hypocrisy at its finest.

Excuse me? Love is being judged soley on appearance and whiteness. Mayo is not. You're inability to tell the difference is idiocracy at its finest. Love is a better shooter, rebounder, passer, pretty much every single basketball skill better than Mayo, yet, since he isn't flashy, and wasn't on youtube at age 15, and can't jump 38", is considered a lesser player. That is judging a book by it's cover my friend.

Big Quett
10-09-2008, 12:46 AM
Excuse me? Love is being judged soley on appearance and whiteness. Mayo is not. You're inability to tell the difference is idiocracy at its finest. Love is a better shooter, rebounder, passer, pretty much every single basketball skill better than Mayo, yet, since he isn't flashy, and wasn't on youtube at age 15, and can't jump 38", is considered a lesser player. That is judging a book by it's cover my friend.

That is just the thing Mayo isnt flashy that is just the way YOU perceive him because of the hype he has gotten. What is flashy about him? And you say he is a bad percentage shooter yet u have nothing to back it up with. And you dont call that judging? The fact of the matter is he is a great shooter. I think you just resent the fact that Mayo is black and getting all the attention. I think u just relate to love because he more like u. You just stand the fact that the Nba is a mostly black league.

And Love is being judged by his body. He is being judged by the fact that he isnt even an average athlete which u atleast have to be in the league. He is being judged by the fact he had trouble keeping up and down the court in college. Look at his last college game he got shut down by a superior athlete that was by in all parts significantly less talented that he was in Joey Dorsey. Memphis just kept running right past him in transition. And he is not a better shooter or passer than mayo is he just had the ball in his hands less than Mayo did. And since he is a big man a would hope he is a better rebounder. And you never answered my other question who is he going to defend on the next level?

Hawkeye15
10-09-2008, 12:51 AM
That is just the thing Mayo isnt flashy that is just the way YOU perceive him because of the hype he has gotten. What is flashy about him? I think you just resent the fact that Mayo is black and getting all the attention. I think u just relate to love because he more like u. You just stand the fact that the Nba is a mostly black league.

And Love is being judged by his body. He is being judged by the fact that he isnt even an average athlete which u atleast have to be in the league. He is being judged by the fact he had trouble keeping up and down the court in college. Look at his last college game he got shut down by a superior athlete that was by in all parts significantly less talented that he was in Joey Dorsey. Memphis just kept running right past him in transition. And he is not a better shooter or passer than mayo is he just had the ball in his hands less than Mayo did. And since he is a big man a would hope he is a better rebounder. And you never answered my other question who is he going to defend on the next level?

Mayo wnet 6-21 against them. Awesome game. omg, how bout this. Good luck to you're guy, wish me good luck on my guy. trying to predict the future of a player who hasn't played a single minute in the NBA is hard to do. Lets leave it at that. And yes, Love is a better skill player in every single thing that Mayo. That is not debatable. At all. In fact, didn't Love win Pac 10 player of the year? Over Mayo, Westbrook, Lopez, whomever? Slow, white, non athletic, yet he figures it out. That won't stop at any level. My opinion. I hope Mayo does great. I would never wish non success on anyone. I just don't see the ceiling you do. Oh well
Let's touch base in a couple years, and we will see who is better.

codes238
10-09-2008, 01:15 AM

i dont understand this comparison at all... first of all mayo is a lot taller, and im not basing this just on listed heights or whatever... in the bulls photo-shoot rose is a few inches taller than BG and in the rookie photo shoot mayo is a bit taller than rose... also mayo plays excellent defense and is a much better passer then BG although BG potentially has a slightly better shot... mayo might not be a superstar but he'll definitely be better than ben gordon in my opinion...