PDA

View Full Version : A Coach Defines "Most Valuable"

phlp_bj
10-05-2008, 05:42 PM
How do you go about predicting who the NBA's Most Valuable Player will be, even before the first pre-season game ever tips off?

First and foremost you have to define "Most Valuable Player", which starts an argument all it's own. If it is just the best player in the league, the guy with the best stats who has the best invididual season, then you have one set of players.

But, if you tie it to winning and team success, the best player who is also most responsible for his team's success, then you have another set of players. As a coach, those are the players I am interested in.

When you take those two groups of players and cross match them, that subset where the circles intersect is where you find the true MVP.

This is why a great player on a bad team cannot be the Most Valuable Player. If the team isn't winning, or underachieves, then how truly "valuable" can that player be? As a coach, I don't need a fantasy guy. I need a player whose numbers and production on the court lead to victories.

Following that formula, I think there are four players this season who have the best chance to be this year's NBA Most Valuable Player.

I think Dwayne Wade is going to have a monster year and if healthy, may very well be the best player in the NBA this season. Fans have forgotten pretty quickly just how good he was before injuries started taking their toll. All you had to do was watch the Olympics this summer, or pop in a tape of the HEAT's NBA title season, to see how good Wade is. If healthy, which of course is the "big if" in his case, Wade could have his best year ever. If he can lead his team to the playoffs, then he should be in the running. But, with the HEAT not expected to be in that race, it is hard to give Wade the nod at this point.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10176

oshea225
10-05-2008, 05:52 PM
his picks - wade, paul, kobe, lebron (his number 1 choice). pretty sure its safe to say it'll be one of them lol. i definitely hope it is.

Hawkeye15
10-05-2008, 07:12 PM
So, basically he is saying that an MVP comes from a top team record wise. How is this news???? That is the case. Never mind that teams with the best record have that record not only because they have a great player, but because they have a great supporting cast from guys 1-8. But that doesn't matter. They just take the guy with the best stats from one of the top 3 teams, and give him the MVP. LeBron will either need to get 40-10-8, or his team will have to win 55 games for him to get MVP. It will go to Paul this season.

blacknell
10-05-2008, 07:26 PM
dirk

cahawk
10-06-2008, 03:58 AM
If a player carries a weak team to the playoffs like Lebron did, I would vote for them.

My possible picks: Lebron, Wade & Pierce
But let the season and their play decide...whoever it may be.

JayW_1023
10-06-2008, 07:41 AM
It's still Duncan...the guy has never missed the postseason. That already says something. He is not the popular pick...but he is the one I will pick, homerism aside. The results speak for themselves.

Lebron23
10-06-2008, 07:46 AM
53 wins for the Cavaliers

LeBron will win his first MVP in the league ( 32/8/8 Stats)

jellywuoo
10-06-2008, 10:32 AM
I hope the MVP of the coming season is Wade.
I rave about his sharp penetration which just like a flash,his first step maybe the quickest in the league.
In 2006,when he was health, he could barely be stopped.He was the real corner stone of the championship.

Zefflin
10-06-2008, 10:40 AM
Kobe will win his 2nd straight MVP award. His stats will go down in some areas but that will be his sacrafice in order to beat Jordans 72-10 season. I'd say a solid 26ppg/5rpg/7apg/2spg. We won't see much of the Mamba this season as Kobe will be focusing more on his inner Doberman. LA will be on top in the west again and that means another trophy for KB.

daleja424
10-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Kobe will win his 2nd straight MVP award. His stats will go down in some areas but that will be his sacrafice in order to beat Jordans 72-10 season. I'd say a solid 26ppg/5rpg/7apg/2spg. We won't see much of the Mamba this season as Kobe will be focusing more on his inner Doberman. LA will be on top in the west again and that means another trophy for KB.

I know your joking. You think this Laker team is going to win more then 72 games. Dude you're deluded. This Laker team won't top 60. KObe's Lakers are good... but 72 wins... get outta here. Have you seen the west?

JordansBulls
10-06-2008, 12:50 PM

This is the stuff we are talking about here. How can you overrate a team that much saying they will break a record and they haven't even played a game yet.

What would you use if the Lakers don't break it or win it all? Will you be one of the ones that say they didn't have the talent?

Now I can understand people picking different teams to win it all or winning a lot of games, but to say a team will just come in and break a record is just a simply ridiculous prediction to make when no one has even seen the team play yet.

And exactly how does being the top at the west mean another trophy?

Frank Costanza
10-06-2008, 01:18 PM
good read, my pick is yao ming if he plays 75 games or more , and avgs 25+ppg 11+rpg and has his team in the top 3 in the west