PDA

View Full Version : Cavaliers want guards to set a quicker pace

Sbank
10-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Cavaliers want guards to set a quicker pace
AKRON Run-and-gun basketball will never be Mike Brown's style as a head coach.

But with the addition of point guard Mo Williams, the Cavs do want to pick up the pace this season, something that was noticeable in Saturday's Wine and Gold Scrimmage at Rhodes Arena.

"With Mo's quickness and the rest of the guards and their quickness, we want to try to get the ball up the floor a little quicker," Brown said. "We don't want to be Phoenix. We don't want to be old Sacramento or anything like that. But we have guys that are quick, push guards, so we want to try to take advantage of it. I thought Mo was good with that."

Williams and fellow point guard Daniel Gibson were the stars of the scrimmage.

Gibson scored 16 points on 6-of-13 shooting, including 3-for-5 from 3-point range. Williams, acquired from Milwaukee in an August trade, had 13 points, two assists and a turnover. He hit 4-of-8 shots, including 2-of-4 on 3-pointers.

Williams knows the Cavs expect him "to get up and down the floor to make plays."

"So I have to be willing and able to do it," he said. "I have to stay healthy and I have to be in great condition."

An increased tempo should benefit Cavs All-Star LeBron James, who figures to get more opportunities to finish plays, something he does better than anyone in the league.

"With the quick guards that we have in Mo, in Delonte (West) and in Boobie (Gibson), we've got guys that can get out and push the ball that's tough (to defend)," James said.

After a heavy workload over the summer with Team USA, the Cavs are making sure James is kept fresh in camp. He played about four minutes Saturday, taking just two shots. His only points came on a dunk off a backboard pass from Gibson on a fastbreak.

James never got to play with Williams in the scrimmage. But when Williams flipped his practice jersey late in it, he did team up with Gibson. The two combined for 10 points in one stretch of just over a minute, as each hit deep 3-pointers.

Brown also liked the "leadership qualities" exhibited by the 25-year-old Williams.

"I saw him talking to his guys at different times, encouraging his guys when they were down," Brown said. "He fought till the buzzer went off. Those are things that you enjoy out of a guy, especially a guy that is as young as he is but is also in his prime."

That addition of Williams allows the Cavs to extend their defense, too. All of the Cavs guards, and even some of their big men, were picking up their man in the backcourt.

"We ain't going to be doing it in the scrimmage if we're not doing it in the game," Williams said. "That's something we just have to instill in us, kind of do it by instinct instead of by plan. That way it gets the defensive juices flowing and just picks up the intensity.

"It starts with me. If guys see me doing it, it just trickles down to everyone, one through five."

Again, the quickness of Williams, West, Gibson and another newcomer, guard Tarence Kinsey, allows for this.

"Those guys are athletic and can defend guys 90-plus feet," Brown said. "We want those guys to pick up fullcourt most possessions. We want them not for steals. We're not going to be a gambling team. But (we will) see if we can get our opponent to work the clock ... and put some pressure on them that way."

Canton Repository (http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?ID=434647&r=0&Category=17&subCategoryID=27)
I think our guards will push it up and try to be like the suns who run but we have the defense that they don't have. I think we see our offense better then it was last year.

EdTheRevelator
10-05-2008, 05:34 PM
I think our guards will push it up and try to be like the suns who run but we have the defense that they don't have. I think we see our offense better then it was last year.

I don't see us going into a "seven seconds or less" run and gun offense like the Suns. But a quicker pace would definitely be nice.

Sbank
10-05-2008, 05:56 PM
I don't see us going into a "seven seconds or less" run and gun offense like the Suns. But a quicker pace would definitely be nice.

Most of our players are athletic enough to run the floor back and forth pretty fast. I think the faster pace will create more chances to score then letting the the other team from setting up their defense

edla423
10-05-2008, 06:56 PM
were going to be much quicker i agree with that but our guards r still no comparison to the suns IMO

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
10-05-2008, 08:49 PM
All I am interested in is will our offense become a effective and efficient offense. We need to find what works and run with it. If that means run and gun, I hope Brown will do what's right. I do think he is on a hotter seat then usual. Time is running down on finding a offense that works. I'll give him some time, because I have a feeling that we will see even more new faces. So it wouldn't really be fair to him to judge.

IndiansFan337
10-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Well the faster pace definitely won't favor Z's offense. Maybe his rebounding will increase though? Although, this could cause his minutes to be cut.

I fully expect Varejao to average around 30 mpg this season.