PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Livingston Signs Deal With Heat

Tom81
10-03-2008, 03:55 PM
MIAMI, Oct. 3 (AP) -- The Miami Heat are giving Shaun Livingston a second chance at an NBA career.

The free agent point guard signed Friday. He hasn't played since seriously injuring his left knee 19 months ago. Several other teams showed interest in Livingston this offseason, including Portland, Minnesota and the Los Angeles Clippers, who drafted the 6-foot-7 guard with the fourth overall pick in 2004.

Livingston averaged 7.4 points and 4.8 assists in parts of three seasons with the Clippers. He was injured on Feb. 26, 2007, tearing three knee ligaments and dislocating his kneecap.

The Heat cut point guard Tre Kelley to make room on the 20-man training camp roster.

http://www.nba.com//news/livingston_081003.html

nba.com

heat

NYKnickFanatic
10-03-2008, 04:04 PM
I hope he makes it.

Thats a deadly starting 5, if he can make the team and is able to start.

Really soft at C though.

JordansBulls
10-03-2008, 04:05 PM
They need a PG, so this makes sense.

LayZbone
10-03-2008, 04:15 PM
man...can you imagine the potential of the season after next....when Beasley has a year under his belt, and Livingston is hopefully 100%? Not to mention whoever the Heat sign next summer, if they don't re-sign Marion. The Heat look like they're shaping up to make a quick turnaround.

barreleffact
10-03-2008, 04:23 PM
man...can you imagine the potential of the season after next....when Beasley has a year under his belt, and Livingston is hopefully 100%? Not to mention whoever the Heat sign next summer, if they don't re-sign Marion. The Heat look like they're shaping up to make a quick turnaround.

this was all planned. i guarantee you after wade got injured in 07 they started tanking on purpose just to get a good pick and some cap space.

cmellofan15
10-03-2008, 04:25 PM
The Heat will be looked at as one of the best FO's if this works out

MiamiHeat
10-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Tre Kelley WHOO??
LOL

but yeah nice signing hope he can make a nice comeback to the NBA :)
most improved player? :D

ugottabjoshinme
10-03-2008, 04:37 PM
good move

bleedprple&gold
10-03-2008, 04:37 PM
this was all planned. i guarantee you after wade got injured in 07 they started tanking on purpose just to get a good pick and some cap space.

Yes, its blatantly obvious the Heat tanked at the end of last season. Just look at their starting lineup and the end of the year:

Ricky Davis, SF
Stephane Lasme, F
Mark Blount, C
Daequan Cook, SG
Chris Quinn, PG

You don't put out a lineup like that with the expectation of winning

LayZbone
10-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Yes, its blatantly obvious the Heat tanked at the end of last season. Just look at their starting lineup and the end of the year:

Ricky Davis, SF
Stephane Lasme, F
Mark Blount, C
Daequan Cook, SG
Chris Quinn, PG

You don't put out a lineup like that with the expectation of winning

right. but it's not about that is it? :offtopic:

We're talking about this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8ZtSlDeR-I&feature=related). :smoking:

Nets fan 93
10-03-2008, 04:49 PM
decent but Livingston isnt great imo... solid

MiamiHeat
10-03-2008, 05:05 PM
right. but it's not about that is it? :offtopic:

We're talking about this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8ZtSlDeR-I&feature=related). :smoking:

:laugh2:
I'm hoping he does this
and more :rock:

ShakeN'Bake
10-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Good for the heat. Hopefully Livingston will be bale to get healthy and live up to his potential.

marlins19
10-03-2008, 05:17 PM
how can you tank when literally your entire team is injured. it wasnt on purpose. every team will look bad when injuries include wade marion mourning haslem wright williams and marcus banks out with legitimate injuries.

CrowninMe
10-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Heat playoffs this season. Go shaun!!!!!!!!

bleedprple&gold
10-03-2008, 05:40 PM
how can you tank when literally your entire team is injured. it wasnt on purpose. every team will look bad when injuries include wade marion mourning haslem wright williams and marcus banks out with legitimate injuries.

Its very convenient that all those guys got "injured" at the same time. I guarantee if the team was in the playoff race, most of those guys would have been playing.

MiamiHeat
10-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Its very convenient that all those guys got "injured" at the same time. I guarantee if the team was in the playoff race, most of those guys would have been playing.

Wade did come back for the playoffs but
didn't go far with the DLeaguers

_Sn1P3r_
10-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Shaun still has to prove himself so hopefully things work out.

marlins19
10-03-2008, 05:43 PM

ok but they werent and they didnt get injured at the same time so your just making yourself look like an ***.

its just a tad different if your in tthe playoff race. and banks wright and haslem wouldnt have played either way because they wereinjuries you cant play with. they wanted to get all of these guys ready for next year so there not rehabbing into the season like zo is.

HiphopRelated
10-03-2008, 05:50 PM
We did tank, but that's my philosophy, if you're gonna suck, suck hard and draft well. It only hurts for a season.

There's a reason we've only had 3 losing seasons under Riley's 15 years in the FO, and those have been horrible, but we got Caron, Wade and now Beasley.

da wood
10-03-2008, 05:52 PM

man them weren't injuries that was straight shut down even the damn coach shut himself down. but thats a topic for another day.

da wood
10-03-2008, 05:54 PM
We did tank, but that's my philosophy, if you're gonna suck, suck hard and draft well. It only hurts for a season.

There's a reason we've only had 3 losing seasons under Riley's 15 years in the FO, and those have been horrible, but we got Caron, Wade and now Beasley.

man you hit it on the head you seem to be a stand up guy and i like that.

bleedprple&gold
10-03-2008, 05:57 PM
ok but they werent and they didnt get injured at the same time so your just making yourself look like an ***.

I know they didn't get injured at the same time, but by the end of the year they were all sitting out, that's what I meant, and people agree with me, so how does that make me look like an ***? That was a classic tank job, anyone can see that...

bleedprple&gold
10-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Wade did come back for the playoffs but
didn't go far with the DLeaguers

We're talking about this last season. The Heat didn't make the playoffs...

MiamiHeat
10-03-2008, 06:03 PM
We're talking about this last season. The Heat didn't make the playoffs...

OOOOOOOO GOTCHA :o
I'm just trying to forget last season

marlins19
10-03-2008, 06:04 PM
I know they didn't get injured at the same time, but by the end of the year they were all sitting out, that's what I meant, and people agree with me, so how does that make me look like an ***? That was a classic tank job, anyone can see that...

anyone who didnt actually watch them can say that. anyone who did watch them could tell that it was real injuries because they happened during the games.

fishfan79
10-03-2008, 06:05 PM
it is a nice pickup I hope he works out for us :)

JusFig
10-03-2008, 06:09 PM
should be a solid 5 now. We just need a C.

MiamiHeat
10-03-2008, 06:11 PM
should be a solid 5 now. We just need a C.

:nod:
I know man we need to find a good rebounding, defensive mentality C

marlins19
10-03-2008, 06:12 PM
weve got jamaal magloire. thats solid at c. all he needs to do is get 10 and 7 which hell do with all the penetration

Joshtd1
10-03-2008, 06:22 PM
I like the signing. A low risk, high reward type signing here. Hope to see him make it

bleedprple&gold
10-03-2008, 06:26 PM
anyone who didnt actually watch them can say that. anyone who did watch them could tell that it was real injuries because they happened during the games.

I'm sure some of those guys actually did get injured, but all it would take was one tiny little nick and that guy would be shut down for the year. I seriously question Marion's supposed "back spasms". I figure since you're a Heat fan, you would be a proponent of them tanking. After all, you guys got Beasely out of it.

marlins19
10-03-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm sure some of those guys actually did get injured, but all it would take was one tiny little nick and that guy would be shut down for the year. I seriously question Marion's supposed "back spasms". I figure since you're a Heat fan, you would be a proponent of them tanking. After all, you guys got Beasely out of it.

i actually know they didnt tank. marion had a foot injury, not back spasms. you cant play with a foot injury and you dont want to aggravate it further.

Yogi
10-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Good for him. Glad to see him back.

Bulls4Lyfe
10-03-2008, 06:49 PM
weve got jamaal magloire. thats solid at c. all he needs to do is get 10 and 7 which hell do with all the penetration

jamal magloire is not a "solid" center. im hesitant to call him decent..maybe adequate?

personally, id rather see haslem start at the center for the time being, until we get a better big or if zo comes back. if zo returns, have him start and play about 20 minutes and have haslem play about 20 at center. then anthony/magloire/blount can split the remaining 8 minutes lol.

marlins19
10-03-2008, 07:02 PM
jamal magloire is not a "solid" center. im hesitant to call him decent..maybe adequate?

personally, id rather see haslem start at the center for the time being, until we get a better big or if zo comes back. if zo returns, have him start and play about 20 minutes and have haslem play about 20 at center. then anthony/magloire/blount can split the remaining 8 minutes lol.

we? wow. what a bandwagoner. maybe your name should be whoevers goor right now. anyway, haslem is 6-9 and maglorie has real size and is a good defender and rebounder which is just what we need. hell get 7-10 boards and will get plenty of points with the guys around him

Bulls4Lyfe
10-03-2008, 07:32 PM
we? wow. what a bandwagoner. maybe your name should be whoevers goor right now. anyway, haslem is 6-9 and maglorie has real size and is a good defender and rebounder which is just what we need. hell get 7-10 boards and will get plenty of points with the guys around him

firstly, im a heat fan (im also a fan nof the usf bulls fyi).

secondly, i wouldnt call the heat good right now, although i believe they will become better as the season progresses and make the playoffs.

third, magloire hasn't been a good defender or rebounder in a few years, but i thinks it still a low risk move to give him a shot at the starting role.

also, i think haslem has the tenacity to play some minutes at the center position, as haslem is definetely a good defender and rebounder

marlins19
10-03-2008, 07:35 PM
last time i checked tenacity doesnt give yoou size. you can play like udonis does and that still doesnt make you able to guard powerful centers. he would get dominated at center.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
10-03-2008, 07:38 PM
good job Miami :clap: to bad he couldn't sign in Denver.

SwaggaIke
10-03-2008, 07:48 PM
last time i checked tenacity doesnt give yoou size. you can play like udonis does and that still doesnt make you able to guard powerful centers. he would get dominated at center.

Who are the true centers that will dominate him? Dwight Howard w/ his limited arsenal? Andrew Bynum, how many touches will he get throughout the course of a game? Kaman my cause problems. Shaq...i'm sure Haslem has guarded him straight up before. Chandler..also a severely limted arsenal. Yao is the only center I can see "dominating" Haslem at the center position. There isn't a glut of true centers in the league. And he's been guarding shifting Pf/C for years. The likes of Duncan, Gasol, Garnett and Amare. What has changed since last season?

sacgiants1213
10-03-2008, 07:50 PM
nice too see liivingston back ready to compete. i think he'll make the team, i mean miami is pretty thin at pg.

neohemp
10-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Glad to see our hometown boy is getting another chance!

dre1990
10-03-2008, 07:56 PM
very good pickup for the heat, pat riley knows what he's doing.

Hawkeye15
10-03-2008, 08:05 PM

its just a tad different if your in tthe playoff race. and banks wright and haslem wouldnt have played either way because they wereinjuries you cant play with. they wanted to get all of these guys ready for next year so there not rehabbing into the season like zo is.

No, the Heat shut down players that would have played if their season wasn't a disgrace. They wanted to secure a top pick. I am not huge on tanking, but I don't really have anything against it either. Wade's injury was legit. On top of that, every single player in the NBA is hurting by game 65. The Heat decided to sit their guys. Don't defend them. It landed you Beasley. Be happy they did what they did.

Hawkeye15
10-03-2008, 08:06 PM
He won't do much this season, but he still has potential. Maybe he will turn into a player a couple years down the line. That injury was just so bad, it will take him a while to get back to NBA speed.

bleedprple&gold
10-03-2008, 08:16 PM
No, the Heat shut down players that would have played if their season wasn't a disgrace. They wanted to secure a top pick. I am not huge on tanking, but I don't really have anything against it either. Wade's injury was legit. On top of that, every single player in the NBA is hurting by game 65. The Heat decided to sit their guys. Don't defend them. It landed you Beasley. Be happy they did what they did.

marlins19 seems convinced that the Heat didn't tank last year. I don't think we're gonna change his mind now, but he is in the minority for believing that. Anyway, if I were a Heat fan, I would be glad they tanked too. It was a lost season anyway, and I wouldn't want to believe my team is that bad unless they deliberately tanked.

BALLER71
10-03-2008, 08:16 PM
6'7 point guard?
That's amazing.
I know he won't live to the expectations this season, he isn't healed but for sure next year he will impress us.

theimortalone
10-03-2008, 08:20 PM
It is good to hear that he got a roster spot. I am glad. Dude deserves it.

Hawkeye15
10-03-2008, 08:25 PM
marlins19 seems convinced that the Heat didn't tank last year. I don't think we're gonna change his mind now, but he is in the minority for believing that. Anyway, if I were a Heat fan, I would be glad they tanked too. It was a lost season anyway, and I wouldn't want to believe my team is that bad unless they deliberately tanked.

they let Posey walk. Zo got older and hurt. Shaq was old. Wade got hurt. Jason Williams declined. I mean, they had horrible luck. But fact is, with 20 games to go, they threw up the white flag. KG even commented after the Celtics beat them late in the season, that, "We better beat a bunch of D leaguers". Like I said before, who cares, they got Beasley. They earned it after last season's embarrasment.

Master Mind
10-03-2008, 09:28 PM

Dude your profile pic is hella sweet!!!!!! :up: Might have to use that as my sig---:D

MiamiHeat
10-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Dude your profile pic is hella sweet!!!!!! :up: Might have to use that as my sig---:D

ii didnt see anythin pic
what pic?

kylem4711
10-04-2008, 02:00 AM
for how long and how much?

HiphopRelated
10-04-2008, 10:05 AM
lol, no problem

JayW_1023
10-04-2008, 10:09 AM
If he stays healthy, for ONCE, he won't have a hard time getting the starting job...unless Chalmers turns out to be a real steal of course.

I swear, If Riley takes the reigns from Spoelstra if the Heat start winning again...my respect ratio for him will drop to nil.

_Supreme_
10-04-2008, 10:49 AM

Anyone who watched the D-league Heat squad play at the end of the season saw that the guys on the court were playing their arses off, so the guys who played those games definitely didn't tank anything.

Also, most of the injuries the normal starters had were very legit. I don't think anyone will argue that. The only one who probably could have played more games is Shawn Marion, but in the situation the team was in he only would have made a marginal difference.

So what exactly should Pat Riley have done to avoid the "tank" label?

Play an injured Wade, risking his future health/career for a lost cause? Play Shawn Marion some more games, resulting in 2 or 3 more wins maybe (which would have made no difference in the end)?

Personally I don't care whether or not they did tank, but many have attached this "tank" label a little too easy Imo, and without putting much thought into the actual situation the team was in.

I'd like to know how exactly this tanking took shape according to the people saying they tanked, and what the team should have done to not have been considered tanking?

DODGERS&LAKERS
10-04-2008, 10:52 AM
I think signing Livingston can really pay off in a year. He was a very good defender with good court vision. If he can somehow get back to that, the Heat should have a really good young team

_Supreme_
10-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Btw the Livingston signing is pretty nice Imo.

The MLE had been spent already, and I think the LLE also, although I don't remember right now who the team signed with that money (Magloire? or did he get a minimum vet contract?).

So this is a low cost gamble with possible good reward.

marlins19
10-04-2008, 10:56 AM
I think signing Livingston can really pay off in a year. He was a very good defender with good court vision. If he can somehow get back to that, the Heat should have a really good young team

the heat already have a very good young team

J$mo0th_3o5
10-04-2008, 11:45 AM
PG-Livingston
SG-Wade
SF-Marion
PF-Beasley
C-Haslem
That's a pretty nasty team!

BullsFan_1
10-04-2008, 11:51 AM
This is a great story and all, and I'm glad to see him back after that injury, but Livingston was only an average NBA player at the time of his injury...Heat fans in here are acting like he is going to bring them a championship or something...he hasnt played basketball in almost two years, and he is coming off one of the worst knee injuries anybody has ever seen...

It's still up in the air whether he is going to even be confident in his knee anymore...but I guess its good to stay optimistic.

$ NyC $
10-04-2008, 12:02 PM
He doesn't have 2 play 36 minutes a game. Him and Super Mario could split the pg duties. Wade can play a lil' point 2.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
10-04-2008, 02:28 PM
he should make the team but hes a good sign overall

_Sn1P3r_
10-04-2008, 02:30 PM
He doesn't have 2 play 36 minutes a game. Him and Super Mario could split the pg duties. Wade can play a lil' point 2.

I don't think Wade wants to play PG.

Beno7500
10-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Livingston isnt great imo

SwaggaIke
10-04-2008, 02:34 PM
I don't think Wade wants to play PG.

There are going to be a lot of times when Wade initiates the offense, whether its at as point guard or not. The offense flows through Wade and as much as he enjoyed working off ball in the Olympics, its a new ball game. I think he'll handle the ball as much as he has in recent years this year. If he cuts down his turnovers and stupid mistakes, he will end up w/ a nice assist to turnover ratio this year. He's always around 6 or 7 a game anyway. I can see Livingston giving up 4 or 5 once he comes back mid season. Chalmers and Quinn will add 6-8 until then. It'll all even out at the end of the day.

WntAbCEO
10-04-2008, 02:46 PM
PG-Livingston
SG-Wade
SF-Marion
PF-Beasley
C-Haslem
That's a pretty nasty team!

and they're all about the same height

BoltLakerPadre
10-04-2008, 03:07 PM
If Livingston can really come back sometime this year, the Heat might actually put together quite a team. Get a bigger, stronger center in there to go with all the athleticism in the rest of their positions and I think that could be quite a line up.

BoltLakerPadre
10-04-2008, 03:08 PM
The best part about this news is that now that Livingston is signed, we don't have to deal with anymore rumor threads about where he might be going.

IversonIsKrazy
10-04-2008, 03:54 PM
livingston/wade/b-easy/marion/C?

next summer if they dont re-sogn they would have $17m. They need a C now desperately.

Hawkeye15
10-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Anyone expecting more than 45 games and around 10 mpg from Livingston will be dissapointed. He isn't ready to contribute this year most likely. But that is not why they signed him. He still has potential to play 3 positions, and be a capable player someday. That was a horrible injury. It will take some time to get back in the rythm of playing pro basketball.

J$mo0th_3o5
10-04-2008, 04:26 PM
They have a pretty good rotation of Pg's now
Livingston, Chalmers, and Banks

RapsGuy23
10-04-2008, 04:27 PM
THIS KID CAN BALL. I remember watching him play with the Clips pre injury and he exhibited the qualities needed to be a starting pg in the league. He has good size at 6'7, he's was very quick, good hands, could finish at the basket...needed to improve his shooting, especially from the perimeter but he's only turning 23 this year. Hopefully he can bounce back from that injury. I'm sure Miami have done there home work...and they can always cut him before the season begins but I do hope we see him on an NBA court again. Good luck to him