PDA

View Full Version : Post: Tinsley to Nuggets-UPDATE- hoopsworld: NO DEAL after all

DenButsu
10-03-2008, 08:35 AM
Well, KillaDUO, looks like the joke's on me, after my big breakdown of why we shouldn't have anything to do with him...

New York Post (http://www.nypost.com/seven/10032008/sports/moresports/tinsley_dealt_to_nuggets_131908.htm):

TINSLEY DEALT TO NUGGETS

By PETER VECSEY

Posted: 3:17 am
October 3, 2008

Locked-out Pacers point Jamaal Tinsley was traded to the Nuggets for Chuckie Atkins and Stephen Hunter, The Post has learned.

The deal is contingent on Tinsley passing a physical. Chronically injured over the last four years (only once playing more than 42 games) and embroiled in violent encounters on three separate occasions (none of which he instigated), he spent all summer in Atlanta rehabbing his body and is said to be a great condition.

Denver assumes his $21M, 3-year debt. Atkins is due $3.24M and $3.48M while Hunter is guaranteed $3.86M and $3.69M. Less than half of their total salary remaining is guaranteed.

DenButsu
10-03-2008, 10:44 AM
No deal after all? That's what hoopsworld says...

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10162

Sources: Tinsley Deal Not Done

By: Travis Heath Last Updated: 10/3/08 9:23 AM ET

Despite reports to the contrary, multiple league sources have informed HOOPSWORLD the Denver Nuggets have not reached an agreement with the Indiana Pacers on a deal that would reportedly send Jamaal Tinsley from the Indiana Pacers to the Nuggets in exchange for Steven Hunter and Chucky Atkins.

One source confirmed the Nuggets have had discussions with the Pacers about Tinsley, which means a move for Tinsley down the road couldn't completely be ruled out. However, as of this moment, no deal is done.

IndyFan
10-03-2008, 11:20 AM
conrad brunner is the pacers public relations guy that writes most of the pacer.com stuff. this was part of his blog on pacers.com. leads me to think the trade rumor is correct.

Could today be the day?

According to a report by Peter Vecsey in the New York Post, the Pacers have agreed to trade Jamaal Tinsley to Denver in return for point guard Chucky Atkins and center-forward Steven Hunter. The deal reportedly is contingent on Tinsley passing a physical.

Team President Larry Bird issued the following statement Friday morning: "We're not going to comment on trade rumors involving our players."

pacers.com (http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5700021922)

:)

DenButsu
10-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the update :cool:

DJiC
10-03-2008, 01:38 PM
why are people from new york reporting anything between den-ind they should stick to their sorry *** teams of the knicks/nets and stay out of other teams business and stop trying to start something

AIMelo=KillaDUO
10-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Lol... that'd be good if we got him, maybe he can clean up his act off the court? :shrug:

BRAVE KID
10-03-2008, 04:16 PM
weeling and dealing. Good pickup..if it goes through..hopefully atkins was a bust, and karl never used hunter. I would be fine with it.

DenButsu
10-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Bunch of news reports, all of which indicate that nobody knows what the hell's going on. (A few training camp updates in these as well).

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081003/SPORTS04/81003041/1004/SPORTS

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_10630972

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_10628519

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/oct/03/reported-tinsley-deal-nuggets-shot-down/

DJiC
10-03-2008, 07:43 PM
just do the trade get ride of atkins/hunter neither are helping our team.... atleast with tinsely he passes and hes a whole lot better shooter than carter

AIMelo=KillaDUO
10-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Yeah, I don't know why they don't just get this deal over with. Hunter never plays, and neither does Chucky, JT is 1000x better than AC, sooo... What's the problem Mark?

AIMelo=KillaDUO
10-03-2008, 07:56 PM
So did we sign JT?
Did we NOT sign JT?

I've problley read 3 articles sayin he's a Denver Nugget... I've read 3 more that said he isn't. What the :censored: is goin on???

If we did... It defiently solves our PG problem, IMO.

If we didn't who's left that's still out there?

Livingston just signed in Miami.

DenButsu
10-03-2008, 08:14 PM
The problem...

...according to the Vescey report was that Wark supported the trade but Chapman did not, and I'd have to assume locker room/salary issues were his reasons for that.

DJiC
10-04-2008, 01:21 AM
salary issues? for christ sakes we have 10 mil to kill....just cut 2 or 3 of the scrubs we just signed and trade chucky hunter who make a combin of 6 or 7 mil while tinsley makes no more than 10....so what we take on 3 mil wow big deal chapman is a loser...he wont didly squat as a player and just like the players he signed hes not that good...we need to name a GM who isnt an idiot and get a GM who knows how to help the team

DJiC
10-04-2008, 01:22 AM
tinsley isnt a FA so we cant sign him he would have to be traded

DenButsu
10-04-2008, 05:45 AM
AI=KD, what's going on is that we don't know yet. I think it's clear that a deal was discussed and at least came near agreed on, but wasn't closed. So now Mike Wells is reporting that "there is a "strong possibility" he could be traded to the Denver Nuggets as early as Monday", but the bottom line is that we just can't have any idea whether anything will happen or not until one or both teams come out and say the deal's either done or there's absolutely no possibility of it happening. So we'll see.

As for the financial situation, DJiC, Chris Tomasson breaks down the downside in pretty good detail here:

Tinsley deal wouldn't be attractive economically (http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/nuggets/archives/2008/10/tinsley_deal_wo.html)

Meanwhile, both the Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_10630972) and the Rocky Mountain News (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/oct/03/reported-tinsley-deal-nuggets-shot-down/) seem to indicate the deal's not likely to go down. But we'll see.

IndyFan
10-04-2008, 08:35 AM
mike wells is the pacer beat writer for the indianapolis star. he had this column in saturday's paper.

Embattled point guard Jamaal Tinsley remained an Indiana Pacer on Friday, but there is a "strong possibility" he could be traded to the Denver Nuggets as early as Monday, a person familiar with the situation said.

A second person confirmed trade discussions were ongoing and said the Pacers will look for another partner if it falls through.

Both teams denied a report Friday morning that the deal already was done, pending Tinsley passing a physical. Nuggets coach George Karl told Denver reporters he laughed at the possibility.

"I don't think there's anything to it," Karl said.

"It's erroneous," Nuggets vice president of basketball operations Mark Warkentien told ESPN.com. "Did Dewey beat Truman?"

Pacers president Larry Bird issued a statement through a team spokesman saying they're "not going to comment on trade rumors" involving their players.

The proposed deal would send point guard Chucky Atkins and center Steven Hunter to the Pacers. Both would have backup roles with the Pacers.

. . .The trade would benefit both teams. The Nuggets need a point guard, and the Pacers would save money, get two players with shorter contracts and, more important, end their relationship with Tinsley.

. . .Tinsley's past three seasons have been marked by injuries limiting his availability and several off-court issues that negatively impacted the franchise. Coach Jim O'Brien lost confidence in Tinsley after last season, and the Pacers told him to stay away from the team while they pursued a trade.

"Unfortunately for Jamaal, some things happened off the court that basically led to this situation," said center Jeff Foster, who has been Tinsley's teammate since 2001. "I think it's best for both parties to go their separate ways, and I think he probably feels the same way. He's probably anxious for something to happen and start new somewhere."

indy star (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081004/SPORTS04/810040452/1062/SPORTS04)

BRAVE KID
10-04-2008, 10:26 AM
sooo...does denver not want tinsley?

C-Dub
10-04-2008, 12:17 PM
i dont want him, but when he does play and doesnt have issues, he is a good player, so im actaully kind of half and half, he is better than average and pass first so he could be good for us as long as he didnt get hurt or arrested

DenButsu
10-04-2008, 12:19 PM
I lean against it...

THE MTL
10-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Well if you guys do end up getting Tinsley yall would have been a pretty good team only if you kept Camby too.

You might finally get that distributor point guard you so desperately needed, but now with a front court of Martin and Nene one of them can go down at any time.

IndyFan
10-04-2008, 03:03 PM
if tinsley is healthy, then denver will be happy with the trade. he is a pretty good PG on the court. the question with him is always one of being able to play. he seems to be one of those guys just not able to take the 82 game grind.

:shrug:

SUNDUNDIDIT
10-04-2008, 03:42 PM
but now with a front court of Martin and Nene one of them can go down at any time.

Same thing with Camby...He's 34 years old, and his body is emaciated, and the potential of camby gettin injured is quite high.

Nene has got injured enough, I think it's due for him to have a consistent healthy season...And K-Mart has been great, he's lost weight, and is in more shape!!!

IversonIsKrazy
10-04-2008, 05:52 PM
This would b a great deal. We need a pass-first good pg, unless u want to start AC at point for another year. This would b really good, when hes healthy he averages abt 8apg and just under 2spg. The problem is his health consistency.

Chucky Atkins: He is just as injury prone as to Jamaal Tinsley
Steven Hunter: A benchwarmer whos getting just under $4m.

This trade would b worth it.

PG: Tins/AC/Weems
SG: AI/JR/Weems
SF: Melo/Kleiza/Balkman
PF: K-Mart/Anderson
C: Nene/?

chaugh970
10-04-2008, 08:44 PM
more like

PG: tinsley, ac, smush
sg: AI, JR, Jones, Weems
SF:Melo, Kleiza, Balkman
PF: Kmart, Howard, fazekas
C: Nene, Birdman
Obviously alot of of those players can play multiple position, throw in Patterson and cleaves as possibly interchangable with smush and fazekas?

I dont really mind Hunter at atkins being in that rotation either if we dont get tinsley.I still like our lineup this year.

IndyFan
10-07-2008, 09:06 AM
For those still breathlessly following the Denver/Indy trade talks, Vecsey has an update. this actually makes sense. it is the kind of pointless detail that two GM's would waste time haggling over. :rolleyes:

Jamaal Tinsley trade is on hold while the Pacers and Nuggets argue over money. Denver demands $3 million to defray one-seventh of the locked-out point guard's 3-year obligation.

ny post (http://www.nypost.com/seven/10072008/sports/knicks/knicks_scout_really_knows_his_stuff_132470.htm?pag e=2)

C-Dub
10-07-2008, 09:11 PM
im still having mixed feelings about him, i kinda want him now, think of tinsley (bettered off court by the new attitude of the nuggets and knowing he is with a beter team) and smuch off the bench, i like it, a lot.... pay up indy!

avsman05
10-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Hello Guys ive been moving. pain argh but... why would we go after Tinsley he is old and we just picked up our vet leader juwan so this doesn't really make sense besides talent that will get hurt by December. So would we be the Enver Thuggets if we picked Tinsley up?

DJiC
10-08-2008, 09:54 AM
tinsley is only 29 he's not that old....and look at our roster...kmart/nene/atkins/hunter theyve been injury prone granted hunter dosnt play either way but still...might as well get rid of 2 injury prone and only keep 1

IBleedPurple
10-08-2008, 10:56 AM
I say do it. Pull the trigger on the deal.

We are average at best at PG. Atkins will be hurt to start the season, and probably be hurt again by the end. So we are trading a guy who keeps the bench warm, and another who keeps the trainer's table warm.......

Since when have the Nuggets started being penny pinchers anyway? We need to win, and we are built to win now.

C-Dub
10-08-2008, 01:09 PM
Im all one sided now, I say do it. Like DJic said, one injury prone player to 2 whom hardly ever play for us, do it.

chaugh970
10-08-2008, 02:12 PM
If this trade goes down put us down to win the northwest conference I'm saying it now. Tinsley is so sick when healthy he is exactly what we need, a solid defender at point (6'3)and bulky so he can defend the cp3's and deron williams. He has an awesome post game for a point guard and can ack down almost any point in the game. His best skill though is hes an unbelievable floor general , our offense will look that much better with jamal running it. check for yourself http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hinLtRRc3hc

DJiC
10-08-2008, 02:15 PM
thanx guys.....tinsley is a whole lot better at shooting than carter too....but ya theres really no point in keeping some of the people we have i hope this trade does go down we will be perfectly fine at the PG position if we can get him...hes pass first...look at his past stats over 10 ast a game i think thats damn perfect to what we need

C-Dub
10-08-2008, 05:06 PM
as long as he stays healthy, hes a way better option than livingston, i wish this 3 mil they are fighting about would just clear up so we could have him already! i wouldnt even mind AC off the bench, we just need a good PG and Tinsley fits us just right. Atkins has played what like 5 games max with us and Hunter maybe 20 at the most, we dont use them and its a couple mil each, just rade for someone who will make us better, and denver, its 3 mil, get over it! this is going to sound dumb, but can we use our trade exception to help get for him?

DJiC
10-08-2008, 09:52 PM
yes we can but we wouldnt really have to since tinsley is owed 6mil this year...and hunter/atkins combine is 6mil so it balances out

C-Dub
10-08-2008, 10:17 PM
ok, but what about that 3 mil that denver is demanding, i dont get it, what if tinsely snt even a nugget 3 years from now when the money comes into use?

liliverson819
10-08-2008, 10:36 PM
i just want this deal to be either made official or completely thrown out the window. i have this uncertainty of wats gonna happen.

DJiC
10-08-2008, 11:01 PM
well it says in the article why im not 100% sure on the details but we should just do this deal we have people wasting away on our bench when they can be wasting away on someone elses bench

kylem4711
10-09-2008, 01:43 AM
that would b sick if you got him. just hope he stays out of trouble and hope he stays healthy...

DenButsu
10-10-2008, 01:24 PM
The Latest On Tinsely: The Indiana Pacers still have not found a taker on Jamaal Tinsley. Talks with the Denver Nuggets seem to be over, according to one source close to the situation. That source said the Nuggets insistence on cash or a first round draft pick being included in the deal killed the talks with the Pacershoopsworld (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10218)

If the report is accurate, I say: Good.

We can do better than that if we're just a little patient.

C-Dub
10-10-2008, 07:40 PM
i wanted him, one question though, who would give up a player better than him, we arent offering star players, and we aint gettin no first round pick for them, that was just dumb of the nuggets to ask for, cash and tinsley would have been enough for who we were offering

PapelbonLester
10-11-2008, 01:07 AM
iverson needs to step up......he shouldnt be second in the team in scoring this year. he should be third.

Ai
Jr
Ca
KM
Nene

should be the starting 5 with atkins off the bench. ai needs to pass the ball get his players open and dominate that way. he is a good passer and hopefully he can get melo and jr the rock. Best luck to the nuggets all my teams are on top so they better step it up this year.

DJiC
10-11-2008, 01:18 AM
den you must remember our PG at this point consist of SMUSH PARKER/AC/CA/CLEAVES i mean seriously why do we have 4 crappy pg? tinsley has outplayed all 4 combined....tinsley makes them look like the 12th man that they should be

DenButsu
10-11-2008, 07:08 AM
My #1 problem with Tinsley, far and above all else, is his offcourt behavior. Just when we have J.R., Melo, K-Mart and Nene simultaneously synchronizing their positive attitudes and strong work ethics, I think it would be terrible to introduce a powder keg into the locker room. I'm not saying he would necessarily blow things up, but to me, the risk is simply not worth the potential reward. And I think that potential "reward" is negligible anyways - Anthony Carter is probably a better defender and just as good a shot if not better (less ability to penetrate but a better jumper), and importantly, he's on a one year minimum contract and not a 3 year contract (to the tune of $6,750,000, $7,200,000, and $7,500,000). What does Tinsley have on AC? Distributive ability and court vision. But I think it's questionable whether his is superior to Chucky's or not. So the "upgrade", in my opinion, is minimal at best, but comes with a hefty - and lengthy - price tag. And the most important thing about that price tag is it potentially prevents us from getting a better point guard in the next season or two. And that's really the key. After AI's gone, J.R. will be our unchallenged shooting guard, and the core of the team will be him, Melo and Nene. The outstanding need for the future becomes a point guard. With the TE from the Camby trade plus a pick, we just might be able to get a very good quality point next offseason or by the deadline without having to commit to a dead weight contract like Tinsley's would be.

Bottom line: He's not our pg of the future, so buying the financial commitment he comes with doesn't make sense. We can do better if we're patient. And we should.

DenButsu
10-11-2008, 07:09 AM
BTW, the one other point I forgot to mention was his injury history - another thing, like his behavior, that the Nuggets do not need more of.

DJiC
10-11-2008, 11:00 AM
true that he does have off the court issues and hes injured alot...but we gave smith/melo multiple chances even though they have their fair share of problems off the court...and atkins/hunter havnt exactly been injury free people for us.....hunter was hurt earlier in the season last year and atkins has been hurt since signing with us...

DenButsu
10-15-2008, 04:39 AM
Still alive?

While Nuggets officials earlier this month refuted trade rumors about Indiana guard Jamaal Tinsley possibly coming to Denver, the Pacers' top basketball man hasn't ruled it out.

"We've been talking to Denver quite often, and I think it's in their hands now," Larry Bird on Monday told Indianapolis radio station WIBC-AM (1070). "And I think we'll be talking a little more this week."

Nuggets executive Mark Warkentien declined comment when asked about what Bird said.rockymountainnews (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/oct/14/nuggets-will-get-another-look-at-balkman-with/)

C-Dub
10-15-2008, 10:34 AM
oooooo, maybe we can still get him, like i said before, maybe if hes with a team that can do good he will stay out of trouble, and with the new spirit of the nuggets, maybe itll rub off, i love his numbers for us, if that makes any sense, 8 assists and 10 points and an ok defender, and hes 6'3 so taller than AC and Atkins, and we gt rid of 2 injury prone guys, i say do it he exactly what we need if he changes a little bit, and i personally think he would

DenButsu
10-15-2008, 10:52 AM
I think AC's 6'3" too, just fwiw.

I'm still pretty much against bringing Tinsley in. I don't think the (imho) minor upgrade he could be over the AC/Chucky combo is worth the major financial pinch he puts on the salary.

C-Dub
10-15-2008, 01:17 PM
I think AC's 6'3" too, just fwiw.

I'm still pretty much against bringing Tinsley in. I don't think the (imho) minor upgrade he could be over the AC/Chucky combo is worth the major financial pinch he puts on the salary.

AC is 6'2, not much shorter I guess but it adds on, lol. The only problem with that combo is that Atkins is never healthy, he doesnt play.

I like AC, I will admit that, he does make minor errors, but for the Nuggets, he isnt doing that bad, I think I even defended him in one of the threads yesterday and said why he might make easy mistakes. I do think he isnt starter quality, but I really like him off the bench for us. Him and Tinsley would be good I think.

But Den,
There is one other thing we could add to this, what happens if Smush makes the team and we dont get Tinsley? AC or Smush starting, and who gets the bench and pretty much no playing time?

OR, what happens if we do get Tinsley, then is Smush gone for sure or is AC, I'd keep AC if it was me, but idk, its difficult, lol. AC is prolly cheaper, and he is a good defender. Im just thinkin outloud

denversgm
10-15-2008, 08:24 PM
i think tinsley would be good for us however i just dont like how much he is getting paid. especially since we are in the luxury tax so we would be paying double.

DenButsu
10-15-2008, 08:30 PM
And it's not even so much the cost of his contract that bothers me, it's the length - 3 years. That locks us in with him much, much longer than I'm comfortable with.

If he was expiring or finished in 2010, I'd be a lot more comfortable with this one, because then the salaries would really come out much closer to even.

C-Dub
10-15-2008, 09:36 PM
would you take smush over tinsley though? Atkins might not play again for us, lol

DenButsu
10-16-2008, 12:20 AM
would you take smush over tinsley though? Atkins might not play again for us, lol

I don't know. I don't think either is superior than the other defensively. I think they're both potential locker room nightmares. They can both distribute, but they're both turnover prone. But one is about %million cheaper than the other, and we'd only have to commit to him for one year. So I'd say that last factor would skip the scales to Smush. Not to mention that he's probably a better shot than Tinsley, too.

But just instinctively, on a gut level, this sums up my feelings (http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=Drkh0YLF8rI) about acquiring Tinsley...

DJiC
10-16-2008, 04:31 PM
well now that hunter is STILL sidlined with a bruised knee and atkins IS sidelined JUST GET RID OF THEM BOTH....why not get tinsley he shoots a better % than both of them gets more assists less TO even if he is a headache arent we getting headaches from hunter/atkins because of their injuries? we took a chance on smith so why not tinsley

IBleedPurple
10-16-2008, 06:32 PM
We honestly pay Atkins to hang out with the trainer

Anyone know how Smush has been doing up to this point?

That would affect my preference on a possible Tinsley deal also

DenButsu
10-16-2008, 09:58 PM
I asked in the Lakers forum and everybody there OVERWHELMINGLY says, when I asked "Smush or Chucky?", that pretty much we should avoid Smush like the plague. And Chucky might not be all that desireable, but the phrases "At least he can (do this and that)", and "At least he isn't (locker room/offcourt negatives)" came up a lot.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282528

DJiC
10-16-2008, 11:34 PM
well i just looked at last night stats smush was 0-2 with 5 ast.....so basically he stunk just like he did in LA......and im guessing smush overall this preseason has pretty much sucked.....den i think if you threw in smush/chucky/tinsley everyone in the laker forum would say tinsley...ive sat through laker games where i had to watch smush and chucky and everytime i would pray that they have the ball in their hands cause when they do something bad will happen

DenButsu
10-16-2008, 11:59 PM
well i just looked at last night stats smush was 0-2 with 5 ast.....so basically he stunk just like he did in LA......and im guessing smush overall this preseason has pretty much sucked.....den i think if you threw in smush/chucky/tinsley everyone in the laker forum would say tinsley...ive sat through laker games where i had to watch smush and chucky and everytime i would pray that they have the ball in their hands cause when they do something bad will happen

Oh, I totally agree with that. And purely in terms of basketball, I probably would say the same thing (although I do think Tinsley is merely a marginal upgrade over AC and/or Chucky, and not a major upgrade). But when you look at all the factors involved in the big picture - the locker room aspect, the off-court drama aspect, the history of layer-coach disputes aspect, and most importantly of all, the really crappy financial aspect - then what might make sense purely in basketball terms, stops making sense to me as an overall wise front office move since the limited on-court positives are far outweighed by other negatives.