PDA

View Full Version : Saito??

banglawiz
10-03-2008, 12:40 AM
Is he our post season Closer?? He looks shakey.

I think our closer spot is still a big question mark!

I think Brox should be our closer even if he is unconsistant.

Thoughts.

Sumo331
10-03-2008, 12:49 AM
Him and Brox were real shaky today. I don't trust either of em right now.

DogBoy_3_18
10-03-2008, 12:54 AM
I say we go with Wade and Maddux. Saito is shaky and I would rather Poctor pitch the ninth than Brox.

CHRISDODGERS
10-03-2008, 12:59 AM
Saito was just not used to his situation.... he's used to a 1-0 lead you know... i still have him as my closer..

LA_Bron
10-03-2008, 04:07 AM
Our bullpen in general is looking shaky right now. Towards the end of the season, our offense was clicking but our bullpen took a hit. Saito's slider just isn't there right now, which means his 2 seamer isn't being too effective right before it either.

Staying positive though, there are teams in the post season who would drool to have either Saito or Broxton, so two have both even though they're struggling, isn't the worst thing in the world. When Saito was looking shaky, I felt at ease (besides the 7 point lead) because I know we had Broxton waiting in the pen.

LAFord
10-03-2008, 04:10 AM
I didn't SEE the game, only radio. How was his velocity?

I'd say, It's the same 'ol closer headcase thing.

Gagne used to suck when he was in any game that wasn't a save situation...We've seen this from Saito also. He'll be fine when the chips are on the table.

DropoutLA
10-03-2008, 04:25 AM
dont get me wrong i love saito, hes been one of my favorite dodgers for a few years now but i think this whole playoff scenario kind of forced him to come back a little premature and we all know he wants to be here more than anyone. im okay with the idea of brox closing things out, maybe maddux would work out, but hey thats just me.

Jubiloman
10-03-2008, 04:32 AM
dont get me wrong i love saito, hes been one of my favorite dodgers for a few years now but i think this whole playoff scenario kind of forced him to come back a little premature and we all know he wants to be here more than anyone. im okay with the idea of brox closing things out, maybe maddux would work out, but hey thats just me.You know, I never thought of Maddux being a closer, ever, but if Hoffman can do it with his weak stuff and pinpoint control I guess Maddux could do it too. I don't see him closing on a regular basis though, only in a pinch. I think Torre should keep with the usual routine during October, regardless of the score. Seventh inning Biemel, eighth inning Broxton, Ninth inning Saito. Use Wade and others for situational pitching or to relieve the previous mentioned due to too much work the day before.

OutOfTHEBLUE
10-03-2008, 04:56 AM
I would tend to agree that Saito, for whatever reason, was not impressive. I don't have a problem with letting Maddux take care of the ninth inning for now. It might work well to bring in Maddux on the heels of Broxton, which would give the batters a very different look.

Going from Broxton's gas to Maddux's soft toss could make Greg that much more effective.

Having said that I'd prefer to keep Wade available for the seventh.

BlueZoo
10-03-2008, 10:21 AM
I think that Saito was dangerously bad...his pitches were in horrible locations, and the Cub response for the time he was in there was devastating. I agree with Banglawiz.
It is a big problem who to use...if we are fortunate enough to move on, I don't think we'll be scoring like we have in the past 2 games all the time. And Saito's performance , along with Broxton's (somewhat), left a lot to be desired.
We were fortunate that liner Soto hit was caught nicely by Berroa.
I guess maybe Wade could be used, although he's perfect for the 7th inning IMO. Or Maddux, like Jubilo said...troubling.

knoxcrew
10-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Saito will be fine. I have complete faith in him regaining his composure and dominating hitters from here on out. Stop looking for holes in our team and cherish what we have going on right now.

darth550
10-03-2008, 11:49 AM
While Saito was (hopefully only) uncharacteristically shaky, Broxton still scares the **** out of me with that straight cheese of his. With a guy like Longoria, Ortiz or dare I say Tex/Vlad up there it'll be a real nail biter!

Bottom of the 9th, game 7 I just don't know......

c2thab
10-03-2008, 12:05 PM
I was watching the post game press conf and Torre said he thinks Sammy was just throwing to try to get them to hit into outs. Obviously that didnt work too well! I still think Wade should be our closer, the guy has been lights out all year!

NomarsOnlyHR
10-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Saito scares me more than Broxton scares most of you.

lynchgagne
10-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Saito scares me more than Broxton scares most of you.

yeah true broxtons 8 blown saves arent that bad :rolleyes:

The 6-4-3
10-03-2008, 01:41 PM
saito and brox were a lil shaky but it was their FIRST big game theyll bounce back

whiskeyjtango
10-03-2008, 02:22 PM
The pre-elbow Saito is without question the closer.

But last night, he looked really light to me weight wise, and he's trim to begin with.
His pitches were creaky too.

How effective is that PRP treatment anyway?

Maddux and Broxton make me grit my teeth.

Let's just hope we can muster up a 5 run cushion throughout the playoffs.

LAFord
10-03-2008, 02:52 PM
I can't believe you guys are already to give up on saito...last week "he's back". 1 bad outing that was a landslide, non-save situation and he's done?

bestlakersfan
10-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Come one guys. WTF are you thinking? It's well known that closer can't perform nearly as good as they do when the situation isn't a closing situation. Plus, let's not forget that the Cubs had the best offensive team in the NL this year.

The BP is not shaky and let's not get worried. Torre wanted Saito to get some work in and had he been healthy we would've seen Troncoso or McDonald in there, not Saito then Broxton.

Lay off and stop finding random crap to worry or complain about. We are in the playoffs and up 2-0 against the best team in the NL and heading home.

Cut the *****.

LAFord
10-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Come one guys. WTF are you thinking? It's well known that closer can't perform nearly as good as they do when the situation isn't a closing situation. Plus, let's not forget that the Cubs had the best offensive team in the NL this year.

The BP is not shaky and let's not get worried. Torre wanted Saito to get some work in and had he been healthy we would've seen Troncoso or McDonald in there, not Saito then Broxton.

Lay off and stop finding random crap to worry or complain about. We are in the playoffs and up 2-0 against the best team in the NL and heading home.

Cut the *****.That's more like it!

BlueMouse
10-03-2008, 03:10 PM
saito and brox were a lil shaky but it was their FIRST big game theyll bounce back

I can't believe you guys are already to give up on saito...last week "he's back". 1 bad outing that was a landslide, non-save situation and he's done?

Cut the *****.

You men are wise beyond your years. I would like to change my previous stance. Let's just relax. :cool:

LAFord
10-03-2008, 03:25 PM
You men are wise beyond your years. I would like to change my previous stance. Let's just relax. :cool:
You are wise to recognize we are wise. ;)

Tapptout
10-03-2008, 04:31 PM
I think Saito just didn't bring the same tenacity he usually has because it was a 9 run cushion he had coming into the game.

BlueZoo
10-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Hopefully, it's rust, and that's the deal...it doesn't mean you're "looking for holes" if you comment on a performance by your closer (or anyone else). Some people watch the game and actually see some things that they'd like to discuss , not be lectured about it as if they are hoping they tank. It's an observation.
The guy's pitches were horrible; he had nothing last night. Maybe it was just last night... who knows how he feels?
If your closer goes out there and gets roundly clocked, it's not legit to ask who Torre might use instead, if Saito's inneffective?
The same type thing was replied when I mentioned Torre's use of Kuo a couple of weeks ago - unneccessarily, IMO. I said it was a big risk needlessly on his elbow at the time...I was told I shouldn't look for something to "complain" about...so where's Kuo?

DodgersFanKid55
10-03-2008, 05:51 PM
i would go with ne body but saito. hes still not ready. Broxton can come in and gas everybody but he is a little shaky and inconsistent. maddux would be a good idea becuz he'll just throw strikes with a limited amount of pitches. But i think wade might be the best option. the guy paints black and has a dirt curveball. plus these teams in the playoffs have rarely seen wade so they havent figured him out.

snowmanr18
10-03-2008, 06:22 PM
if it wasnt the playoffs id like to see wade get a shot but for now i think saito remains the closer. i think he just wasnt as focused cause of the score

DropoutLA
10-04-2008, 06:49 AM
btw am i the only one here who thinks broxton looks like fat elvis?

BlueZoo
10-04-2008, 12:11 PM
btw am i the only one here who thinks broxton looks like fat elvis?

You mean not as fat as Elvis, right? Yes he does....