PDA

View Full Version : Hollinger's Team Forecast: Denver Nuggets

DenButsu
10-02-2008, 08:26 PM
I chopped this up for the purpose of this post, so it's probably best to read the entire article at ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/trainingcamp08/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=NuggetsForecast0809) before commenting, since there's a lot more to it than what's right here.

Hollinger's Team Forecast: Denver Nuggets

2007-08 Recap
Exciting. Erratic. Frenetic. Mind-boggling.

A lot of words could describe the Nuggets in 2007-08, but here's one that should be right at the top of the list: misunderstood.

Every analysis of the Nuggets described them as a group of talented offensive players who lost because they didn't play any defense. And everybody who wrote that was dead wrong.........

Biggest Strength: Perimeter scoring
Good luck hiding a bad wing defender against these guys. Denver can send out a lineup with Iverson, Smith and Anthony at the three perimeter positions at the same time; to really turbocharge things, the Nuggets also can play with Kleiza as an undersized 4. ..........

Biggest Weakness: Perimeter defense
Yes, they were a good defensive team last year. But that was with Camby. Now that he's gone all those gambles the Nuggets take on the perimeter are going to prove much more costly, because Camby wiped away several defensive mistakes every night. .............

Outlook
Denver fans are feeling down about the Camby trade, and with good reason -- in a conference as loaded as the West has been the past few years, just being a .500 team isn't going to cut it. That's about all the Nuggets look like, with Camby's departure taking a bite out of the defense and the inability to spend leaving the bench looking mighty skimpy.

If the Nuggets are going to stay afloat, two players are key: Smith and Nene. We've covered Smith already, but Nene will have to take over in the middle for Camby and prove he can stay healthy for a full season. He isn't Camby's equal as a defender, but he has the size and quickness to be a factor and help make up for his loss, plus he's a better offensive player.

Also, they might want to get off to a good start. Iverson has an expiring deal worth $20 million, and if the Nuggets find themselves near the bottom of the standings, trading him to a contender -- and getting out from the luxury tax in the process -- is going to look awfully tempting.

Conversely, if the Nuggets can stay in contention, they might go in the opposite direction. Sitting on a $10 million trade exception from the Camby trade, they could take on another team's high-priced talent to supplement their playoff push.

But the only way that happens is if they vastly exceed expectations with the current crew. More likely is that they scuffle along -- winning a few here, losing a few there -- and stay in the playoff mix all season before missing out at the end.

Prediction: 41-41, 3rd in Northwest Division, 9th in Western Conference

Kohaku
10-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Oh cmon..I predicted at least 45 wins.

Yes, they were a good defensive team last year. But that was with Camby.

No we weren't. Just look at what Lakers did to our defense.

Mario
10-03-2008, 07:26 AM
I say 50 maybe a little more, I really think we'll be better this year

C-Dub
10-03-2008, 01:17 PM
thats what i think, i also think the spurs, mavs and suns arent gonna be as good as last season