PDA

View Full Version : Juwan Howard rejoins Nuggets

DenButsu
10-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Juwan Howard rejoins Nuggets

The Nuggets have signed veteran 6-9 forward Juwan Howard to a one-year minimum, non-guaranteed deal, a source said.

Howard, 35, is in town for a physical and should be ready to participate in Denver's evening practice session.

A Nugget from 2001 to 2003, Howard put up big numbers for much of his career and as recently as 2006-07, he still averaged 9.7 points and 5.9 rebounds. Last season, however, he didn't get his regular minutes for the Mavericks - 7.1 compared to his career average of 33.3 -- and only scored 1.1 points per game.

For his career, Howard averages 15.3 points. denverpost (http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_10618411)

WTF?!? Did not see that one comin'...

C-Dub
10-02-2008, 01:01 PM
well, idk if its good or bad....

fly boy
10-02-2008, 02:27 PM
i think its good now we need to go out and get a pg maybe livingston since no one will take him we can work him out n get him in denver he's better than the ones we have in training camp lol nah but this is a good move i didnt c it coming either

MILESC04
10-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Now im really confused as to why JR isnt going to start. maybe its more realistic now that we signed juwan howard. we can have nene, martin, howard, and birdman and or hunter and that way kleiza can be anthonys main back up which would make our gaurd position go as iverson and jr starting and from what i hear dahntay jones is a coach favorite for d and he can play back up SG with AC as back up point and that is a good defensive second line up...

AI
JR
MELO
K-MART
NENE

AC
JONES
KLEIZA
HOWARD
HUNTER/BIRDMAN

the second line up is better defensively but you would have to think iverson or melo will be in with the second lineup. both of them wont be on the bench at the same time. but if so..jr or probably will be out there.

p.s. let atkins go...

fly boy
10-02-2008, 04:44 PM
hey u forgot about balkman his d is nice too but i agree let atkins go and while were at it we should let ac go also n get a new pg

thedfactor
10-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Juwan Howard is washed up...Denver keeps getting worse

Kohaku
10-02-2008, 05:58 PM
FO's signing people I haven't heard of in years lol.

DJiC
10-02-2008, 06:27 PM
why are we signing players who are of no use to us? first cleaves/fazekas/parker/patterson now howard? what are we starting a retirement home for these players? granted fazekas and parker arent as old as patterson/howard but still they play like old people......i hope these guys if they make the roster gets traded for someone who helps

IBleedPurple
10-02-2008, 07:57 PM
wow, maybe howard will get a new motivation and be a solid backup......or just be a flop

i did like rube the last time he played here though

our team is definitely one of the best in the nba........if a brawl breaks out :box:

DenButsu
10-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Look people, this is a great signing.

First of all, everyone needs to keep in mind that Smush, Patterson, Howard, and the other 3 scrubs are all signed to non-guaranteed one year contracts, meaning that all but one or two of them will ultimately be waived. 3 of our training camp scrubs are legitimate NBA players, and that gives us a) a higher caliber of training camp practices and scrimmages, and b) better and more options for the front office when it comes time for them to make the final cuts.

Howard can shoot and rebound. How many other bigs do we have who can really shoot? If he's signed, he surely won't play for more than 5 or 10 minutes. He'd be a great guy to have on the bench for veteran leadership, someone who's familiar with the Nuggets organization, bench depth and injury insurance. I'd rather have him than Ruben.

There is absolutely nothing to criticize the FO about for this, imho. They're running a great training camp by all accounts right now, so we should be psyched about that, and hope that this energy carries over into the regular season.

DenButsu
10-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Does Juwan Howard, coming off a season in which he averaged 1.1 points, have much left?

“I don’t think we’d bring him in if we didn’t think he had something left,’’ said Nuggets coach George Karl.

The Nuggets will sign Howard, 35, a 14-year veteran and former Denver forward, to a one-year, nonguaranteed contract worth the minimum of $1.26 million. He’s expected take part in practice Friday.

“It’s a good addition to our camp roster,’’ said Nuggets vice president of basketball operations Mark Warkentien. “We have five players (out of six invitees) in camp with NBA experience competing to try to win jobs.’’

Howard, 35, has a career average of 15.3 points and played in the 1996 All-Star Game. But he averaged just 1.1 points in 50 games last season with Dallas.

Howard averaged 17.9 points for the Nuggets while playing the last half of the 2001-02 season with them. He averaged 18.4 points for Denver in 2002-03 before leaving to sign as a free agent with Orlando.

“I think the thought process is he’s a hell of a player. He has a respect in our locker room already with some of the players who played with him when he was here,’’ said Karl, referring to Nene and Chris Andersen, the two players now with the Nuggets who played with Howard in Denver. “If I started tomorrow, I couldn’t tell you who would be the third guy off the bench (the first big man backing up Nene and Kenyon Martin).’’rockymountainnews (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/oct/02/nuggets-juwan-howard/)

AIMelo=KillaDUO
10-02-2008, 09:06 PM
We really are getting desperate.

BRAVE KID
10-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Love this signing. Howard will provide an excellent backup, Birdman doesn't really provide an offensive threat, and Howard does provide an offensive game, and a respectable one at that. No high flying dunks or stuff like that but he'll make the sure jump shot, and as den said he'll get the rebounds. I absolutely love this signing.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
10-02-2008, 10:07 PM
He's got alot of miles on them legs tho...

C-Dub
10-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Idk, it seems better than the others, so like Den said, we are making a better training camp.
Ruben and Smush are the only other players that Id like to have on the team.
Smush can be ok, and with his hair and stuff he fits in pretty well with AI and Melo, lol. But on a serious note, Smush is a good player and a good boost off the bench, he aslo averaged 1.2 steals a game last season with all his moving around. He is a good passer, but not great, and really quick and athletic. Way better than our current PG's.

Lol, my friend Dakota is a Laker fan and this is his opinion on Smush.....

Chris says:
smush parker signed with the nuggets for training camp
Dakota says:
ya
Chris says:
its pretty cool, did you like him with the lakers
Dakota says:
ya he is quick he stole the ball from steve nash and that doesnt happen often
Chris says:
ya
Chris says:
i like the fact that he might come off the bench for us, its better than AC and Atkins
Chris says:
is he a good 3 baller
Dakota says:
kind of
Chris says:
it says 23% last season
Dakota says:
he is more of a passer but when he shoots he does make some
Chris says:
but he moved around a lot too
Chris says:
well with smith and stuff he needs to be more of a passer

Howard can still play, and so can Ruben, so not bad I think so far.

BRAVE KID
10-02-2008, 10:20 PM
He's got alot of miles on them legs tho...true but he isn't here to start, if he was then there would be a problem. he is here for bench production, and he can definately provide that. I approve this move.

BRAVE KID
10-02-2008, 10:30 PM
We got back Ruben patterson as well?? Awesome, I liked his play here for Denver. a perimeter defender and a good one, also can provide an offensive game. Him and Balkman equal two good perimeter defenders that can guard PG's and SF's, something carter can't do. I really like this signings.

Mario
10-03-2008, 07:23 AM
ok people who keep crying about who we are signing don't watch these players with other teams, smush started 160 games with the lakers, he's not a bad pg, better than ac and chucky.Bring him in so AI can focus on playing sg, howard is a vet, a big that we know can get the job done when his number is called, other kmart and nene we have no bigs, and that's if they don't get hurt. It's a good pick up

DJiC
10-03-2008, 09:34 AM
well say byebye to chucky cause we got TINSLEY NOW....hopefully he stays healthy

chaugh970
10-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Im excited to see juwan back. If we do make the playoffs this year he could be a great leader and offensive post threat off the bench.

Recent youtube mix of juwan at Houston. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsDQNhFVkmk)

DenButsu
10-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Im excited to see juwan back. If we do make the playoffs this year he could be a great leader and offensive post threat off the bench.

Recent youtube mix of juwan at Houston. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsDQNhFVkmk)

Great mix, thanks for posting it. Everyone here should watch that. It looks like it's all clips from the 2006-07 season, so not last season but still recent.

What a great asset a big who's basically a pure shooter and rebounder will be.