PDA

View Full Version : Inge - Over/Under on 2009 Avg.

smarkow
10-02-2008, 12:34 PM
What will his average be next season?

mark1125
10-02-2008, 01:55 PM
I am thinking .225 with about 20 homers IF they follow through on the ridiculous notion of him being an everyday player.

Bondomania
10-02-2008, 06:17 PM
yeah, i agree... although i think that he will only hit about 15 homers... and i think that he will most likely be pulled halfway through the season because his offense will be lackluster

stanpapi
10-03-2008, 10:31 AM
IF he lasts as the everyday guy at 3rd (a big IF), I'd peg him right around .230, a little higher than that, but he won't hit .250 and he'll K about 135 to 150 times. I can't believe they're doing this without at least forcing him to win the job in spring training.

smarkow
10-03-2008, 12:37 PM
I agree with you stan. However, he has proven that he can play 3B with the best of them. I don't think you're going to find too many guys that play a better DEFENSIVE 3B than Brandon Inge.

Its his hitting that's the problem........................................... ......

stanpapi
10-03-2008, 01:07 PM
At that position, you've got to do a bit of both. Agreed, he has a great glove, no question. And if he was a SS, I'd be a more forgiving. But he's not a SS. Worse, he Ks as much as a Cecil Fielder did -- and without the upside. It's not just the average, it's his whole package at the plate. He doesn't put the ball in play. Doesn't advance runners. Doesn't hit sac flies. And I can't recall him ever laying down a clean bunt. He just Ks. A guy with that much trouble at the plate has to learn to do some of those other little things well, and he doesn't. In fact, I don't even think he's worried about doing any of those other things. He just gets up there and tries to hit taters. It's like he thinks it's a long-drive contest or something. Unless he totally rebuilds the way he plans his at-bats, this is doomed. More than anything else, however, it just blows my mind that he's been handed the job in October. Sets a god-awful message to training campers. No matter what you do, our mind is made up about all of you, so why bother trying to improve yourselves over the winter?

mark1125
10-03-2008, 01:47 PM
He shouldn't even be promised a roster spot let alone a starting position. As you said stan, if he were a gold gloe calibur SS, you could deal with it. He homers or whiffs. That is it. He doesn't even homer enough to warrant that. He seems to do the solo homer too.

This decision alond with the Guillen to LF decisions really have me scratching my head.

giff
10-03-2008, 09:26 PM
I believe that you need to look at it from a line up position not a fielding position. If he hits 220-230 20hr 60rbi from the 9th spot and plays the defense he is capable to then what is the promblem

mark1125
10-03-2008, 11:37 PM
I believe that you need to look at it from a line up position not a fielding position. If he hits 220-230 20hr 60rbi from the 9th spot and plays the defense he is capable to then what is the promblem

I can deal with the avg if he made contact, moved runners along, actually hit in the cluthc, sacrafice, etc. He is a rally killer.

smarkow
10-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Agree with a lot of what Stan said earlier. don't understand how this guy doesn't/can't change the way he approaches hitting. I wonder if the hitting coaches have approached him about changing his approach at the plate.

I'll give you an example that is in now way comparative to the major league level. In my softball league, I could probably hit the ball over the heads of most of the outfielders...if I wanted to. Problem is, once those guys move back a few steps, it makes it much harder and all I'd be doing is hitting some Long fly ball outs that look really good off my bat. After one game, I decided to screw that and hit the ball up the middle every time, which I basically did. As i said, i'm in no way comparing my ability to change my approach at the plate in softball to the major leagues, but it takes that kind of committment to change what you're doing, and help the team. I figured, I'd be helping the team a lot more by getting a hit and getting on base than trying to hit a HR every single time.

Stan is definitely right about giving him 3B in October. make the guy believe he doesnt have a spot on the team. Tell him that if he doesnt come in with a new attitude/approach at the plate, then he may not be starting at 3B.

Same thing with Guillen. I absolutely love the guy. He's one of my favorite tigers that got no respect outside of Detroit until last year. However, i don't see how he fits into this team. I don't really see him as an outfielder. I hope he proves me wrong. but that leaves Thames, Joyce, etc, etc, that also play LF.

One Nut Kruk
10-06-2008, 08:31 PM
I agree with you stan. However, he has proven that he can play 3B with the best of them. I don't think you're going to find too many guys that play a better DEFENSIVE 3B than Brandon Inge.

Its his hitting that's the problem........................................... ......

He cost us the Al Central in 2006 with a brutal error against KC in the final regular season game and then made 3 awful errors in the World Series that seem to be forgotten because of the pitching staff's horrendous fielding. Sure, he makes a lot of nice highlight reel plays......there is no doubt about it....but he also makes his fair share of boneheaded blunders. He is far from the best fielding 3rd sacker in the game.

Nizzle20
10-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Inge's defense at third is the best in the league. Hands down. End of conversation. (sorry One Nut Kruk) And his defense MORE then compensates for is poor offense. This poor offense is assuming he is batting in the 3-7 spots in the lineup. But he isnt. He bats in the 9 spot. His numbers in the 9 spot are fairly average if you take all catagories into concideration.

Now to play devil's advocate. Why in the name of whatever baseball gods that are out there, does Inge not get locked in a batting cage with Placido? With the explicite insturctions to remain in said batting cage until he can swing the bat while choking up, with lesser bat speed and the ability to GO THE OTHER WAY!!!!

smarkow
10-07-2008, 01:40 PM
And his defense MORE then compensates for is poor offense. This poor offense is assuming he is batting in the 3-7 spots in the lineup. But he isnt. He bats in the 9 spot.

Completely disagree with this statement other than that he bats in the 9 spot. 3B is a position that almost all teams have a guy that can hit. While his defense, in my opinion, is outstanding, it certainly does not compensate for his poor offense. Maybe if he played catcher.....oh, i guess we already tried that...

Now to play devil's advocate. Why in the name of whatever baseball gods that are out there, does Inge not get locked in a batting cage with Placido? With the explicite insturctions to remain in said batting cage until he can swing the bat while choking up, with lesser bat speed and the ability to GO THE OTHER WAY!!!!

This i completely agree with, and I said it a few posts earlier. I just don't get some of these hitters that don't adjust.

Bondomania
10-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Brandon has stated in the past that he doesn't take well to having people mess with his swing.. he is a guy that tries to figure it out on his own and work through it on his own.. which is completely ********.. obviously you cannot make those adjustments and he gets exposed almost every game..

The defense does NOT make up for his lackluster offense.. he doesn't hit with runners in scoring position.. he is a certified rally killer.. usually most good teams put a guy that is like a second leadoff hitter in the 9 spot.. that way you have a guys that can turnover the lineup and get on base for the number 2-3-4-5 hitters.. somethings we do not do what-so-ever.. seriously, how many times were magglio and miggy batting with no one on base.. i mean just imagine what miggy's numbers would have looked like if he was hitting in the 4 spot all season long... i am willing to bet that he would have had 150 rbi's

smarkow
10-07-2008, 07:49 PM
seriously, how many times were magglio and miggy batting with no one on base.. i mean just imagine what miggy's numbers would have looked like if he was hitting in the 4 spot all season long... i am willing to bet that he would have had 150 rbi's

No *****. this is so true. I hate seeing Magglio leading off the inning...or even Cabrera when he was in the 5 spot. I hope next year that will change with Magglio in the 3 spot with cabrera following.

Bondomania
10-07-2008, 09:45 PM
maggs and cabrera were hitting out of this world in the second half once they made that switch.. i like the idea of finding a real leadoff hitter and moving granderson into the number 2 spot.. i mean with grandy hitting in the 2 spot, in fact i really think that Granderson could be a 30 HR guy if we moved him down in the order.. there also could be huge opportunites for magglio and miggy to drive in a ton of runs this next year.. i am not a huge fan of polanco as a number 2 hitter, just because he doesn't necessarily take a lot of walks, which kind of leads to a low OBP.. it would be nice if Clete was healthy, then he could have been our leadoff hitter.. seriously, the guy was good at the major league level.. he had speed, was patient and put the ball in play..

stanpapi
10-07-2008, 10:20 PM
And I can't help but think it they would have just let Clete alone he would have been alright.

Bondomania
10-08-2008, 10:16 AM
exactly.. Joyce was a pleasant surprise.. but Clete had speed, played good defense, hit for average and showed some flashes of power

AirJordanXVIII
10-21-2008, 10:42 PM
I voted above... .235 is my call..

I cant believe the Phillies were looking into this guy as a 3B option :laugh2:

AlStump
10-22-2008, 01:50 PM
As a every day player at 3rd I'd say maybe .230-.260 AVG, 20-25 HR, 60-75 RBI. He will never have a .300 season in a Tiger uniform. I do believe he has potential to improve his bat. He has power, he is just not locked in at the plate. The mans heads been ****ed with a lot, he's seen the worst Tiger season in history to a amazing 06' year then to a mind **** 08' year where his team was the most disappointing team in baseball for 08', position changes up the yin yang. They shouldn't be excuses but they are the facts. He needs to mature and be patient at the plate and have constancy in his roll and he will come around to being a great 3rd baseman and an average to above average batter. I really want this kid to come around and be embraced by the fans. Am i being set up to be disappointed? Well wont be the 1st time in 30 years as a Tiger fan.

Bondomania
10-22-2008, 04:47 PM
umm.. we aren't talking about some young guy... Inge is 31 years old, will be 32 at the beginning of next season.. he is past the development curve.. he is headed down the backside of his career.. and the reason he has been shifted all over the place is because he wasn't that great at managing a pitching staff.. so we brought in Pudge.. he put up a decent '06 so we reward him with a contract and he tanks in '07 and doesn't do anything in '08 to show that '07 was a fluke.. the guy doesn't take instructions well, and he has the mindset that he will work through it on his own at the plate.. instead of allow Lloyd to instruct him and help him adjust.. also, Inge has the worst pitch recognition in the league.. a sign of this is by how many times he strikes out on a check swing, because he is guessing a certain pitch.. Inge is the ultimate selfish player and someone i would never want on my team.. *****es and demands a trade when his playing time is reduced.. just utter stupidity.. here is a message.. hey *******, produce or you won't be around in this league

GOD I WISH THE PHILLIES WOULD HAVE GIVEN US ANYTHING OF VALUE FOR HIM, SO I DON'T HAVE TO WATCH HIS PATHETIC CHECK SWING STRIKE OUTS, OR HAVE SWING GROUND OUTS..

AlStump
10-23-2008, 04:50 PM
Maybe we can see Big Mike Hessman at 3rd. His strike outs are way too high but he can hit a baseball a country mile.

Nizzle20
10-24-2008, 10:16 PM
To Alstump and Bondo. You two are the extremes of both ends. Inge falls in the middle. And I am fully aware that I wont change your minds, but he sure isnt as good as AlStump says and he isnt the turdbag Bondo thinks he is.

Bondomania
10-27-2008, 10:08 AM
hahahaha, turdbag.. sorry, that cracked me up.. i don't hate him as much as i make it look.. i just hate everyone's obsession with him and everyone thinks he is such a model teammate and he is god recreated into a 3rd basemen.. his defense is way overrated in my opinion, yes he has good range, and he makes highlight reel plays.. but sometimes he screws up the simple plays.. also, i think that Inge MIGHT hit .225.. but i think his best year is behind him.. can he hit a fastball.. sure.. can he run into a HR occassionally.. sure. but he struggles with offspeed pitches, and has horrid pitch recognition.. and i think that he is WAY over paid.. i just wish Larish could progress and show that he can handle 3rd base, because i think we need some youth in this lineup, to keep it fresh.. it seems like this lineup has become stale, and i think that adding that youth and hunger to the lineup could really benefit this team in the long run.. i think that 2009 should be focused as a re-tool year.. i think we need to get some of these bad contracts out of here, and we really cannot spend a lot of money on areas of need... so my question is what would it hurt to run out some of the kids?