PDA

View Full Version : Potential Opening Night Lineup

Desert Plains
10-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Last nights game, with some different players in the lineup, some of the line combinations looked different than I expected. So, I started to think what Renney will go with on opening night. This is the lineup that I’d put out there, though I suspect not what Renney will come up with.

1st Line
C – Scott Gomez
LW – Markus Naslund
RW – Chris Drury

2nd Line
C – Brandon Dubinsky
LW – Aaron Voros
RW – Nikolai Zherdev

3rd Line
C – Lauri Korpikoski
LW – Nigel Dawes
RW – Petr Prucha

4th Line
C – Blair Betts
LW – Dan Fritsche
RW – Ryan Callahan

I like Callahan on the 4th line only because he’s more of a grinder and can play a more defensive style then Prucha can (since it’s the checking line). The reality though, is that I suspect Renney will put Orr in the lineup, which probably means Callahan moves up to the 3rd line and Prucha sits.

I can also see Renney swapping Voros and Dawes.

1st Defense
Michal Rozsival
Marc Staal

2nd Defense
Wade Redden
Dan Girardi

3rd Defense
Dmitri Kalinin
Paul Mara

Based on last nights game, I have all the pairings different than Renney. But, the main pair that I don’t like are Rozsival and Redden together. I just don’t think either plays D well enough to be paired together. So, I would split them up.

SLY WILLIAMS
10-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Those lines are probably pretty close but they are not blowing me away. I wish we had 1 guy we knew would get us 40 goals or 90 points.

Desert Plains
10-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think any of these guys are going to score 40 goals.

But, we have the potential for a good balanced attack - IF the veterans play to their career norms and the young guys, like Dubinsky, Dawes, Callahan and Zherdev all improve on last years totals. If that happens, though the goals will be spreadout, we should be able to score enough goals.

Spock
10-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Wait so Malik isn't on our team anymore or is he just sitting out? Because I don't think I heard anything about him getting traded. I think Drury is better off at 2nd line center though unfortunately I don't get to watch pre-season games since I'm Upstate, I think Gomez will lead the team in points this season.

Desert Plains
10-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Don't know if the Malik question was a joke or not. If not, no. He's not on the team. No way he was coming back with the constant booing. I'm not sure where he's playing this year - though I assume back in Europe.

As for Drury playing wing, I originally didn't like the move either. But, he's played well on the line with Gomez. It's seems to be working, though it's only been 3 pre-season games. And, it seems to make sense for 2 other reasons:
1) It frees up a center spot for Korpikoski (who's looked good so far)
2) Moves Dubinsky up to the 2nd line center, where he'll get more ice time vs. being the 3rd line center.

SLY WILLIAMS
10-02-2008, 02:47 PM
I dont think Malik has signed anywhere yet. Malik still has the all time NY Ranger shootout goal in my opinion. Here is a link to it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5675272436036532702

Spock
10-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Don't know if the Malik question was a joke or not. If not, no. He's not on the team. No way he was coming back with the constant booing. I'm not sure where he's playing this year - though I assume back in Europe.

As for Drury playing wing, I originally didn't like the move either. But, he's played well on the line with Gomez. It's seems to be working, though it's only been 3 pre-season games. And, it seems to make sense for 2 other reasons:
1) It frees up a center spot for Korpikoski (who's looked good so far)
2) Moves Dubinsky up to the 2nd line center, where he'll get more ice time vs. being the 3rd line center.

It wasn't a joke I never heard anything about him not resigning,thank god he's off the team. We need a physical defensmen like Beukaboom again,I haven't seen Korpikoski play so I'll have to take your word for it, I think it's going to be a long season though since we don't have a major goal scorer on the team like Jagr or Shanny but who knows who we could get by the trade deadline to really make a run for the playoffs.

onlythisfar41
10-02-2008, 09:37 PM
i think were going to be a very good team this year, it looks like we finally changed our powerplay mindset of, "Lets pass 900 times and never take one shot!", we looked very fluid during the preseason and even though we grossly over paid Redden, i think his quarterbacking of the power play will be evident.
I do however think were all going to realize what a force Jagr was and how much better he made the team. I for one will miss him.

messleetch94
10-02-2008, 10:23 PM
I don't think we will have a 40 goal scorer. If anybody was to come close, I would say Zherdev. But if the Naslund/Gomez/Drury line pans out, Zherdev will not score 40, I don't even think 30. But will we need a bonafide 40 goal scorer if we have 10 guys scoring 20?

CurseThis
10-04-2008, 02:16 AM
Voros has no business in the top 9, let alone the top 6. He's a fourth liner.

As for Prucha... he's bound for the press box eating hot dogs and drinking beer with Rissmiller. The guy can't finish anymore. He has had a million chances to bury goals this pre-season and hasn't cashed in a single one. His one goal was due to Kalinin's shot nicking him on the way in.

Naslund - Gomez - Drury
Dawes - Dubinsky - Zherdev
Sjostrom/Fritsche - Korpikoski
Voros - Betts - Orr

Desert Plains
10-04-2008, 08:00 AM
Voros has no business in the top 9, let alone the top 6. He's a fourth liner.

As for Prucha... he's bound for the press box eating hot dogs and drinking beer with Rissmiller. The guy can't finish anymore. He has had a million chances to bury goals this pre-season and hasn't cashed in a single one. His one goal was due to Kalinin's shot nicking him on the way in.

Naslund - Gomez - Drury
Dawes - Dubinsky - Zherdev
Sjostrom/Fritsche - Korpikoski
Voros - Betts - Orr

Well, Voros certainly isn't going to score 30 goals, but I think he's a better player than Sjostrom, and you have him on the 3rd line. Voros will hit, crash the net and stand in the crease much more frequently then Sjostrom will. Which will help the other guys on his line score more.

I think Sjostrom is a 4th line player at best, an upgrade over Hollweg (as we saw the end of last season), but more of a spare part.

Desert Plains
10-04-2008, 08:04 AM
Also, the 4th line with Voros, Betts and Orr will provide zero offense. Something that Renney wanted to improve on. If Betts and Orr are automatics on that line, we really need some type of offensive player there (though one that can check as well).

Maybe it will be Voros, but he isn't not going to help guys with stone hands score. But, he can have an impact playing with guys that have offensive ability.

messleetch94
10-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Hence why they should have signed Shanny. He knew he would get a reduced role so 4th line would have been fine with him. He had hell of a shot. We could have got him for the price of Rissmiller and Voros combined.

SLY WILLIAMS
10-04-2008, 10:47 AM
I was just posting in another thread that Prucha will now play in front of his family and friends so Sjostrom or another player will likely be scratched.

jetsfan89
10-04-2008, 10:56 AM
I never understood why we signed guys like Rissmiller or Voros.

B-West.Joba
10-04-2008, 06:10 PM
i hope tomorrow we see fritsche as left wing on the third line over prucha.

Desert Plains
10-05-2008, 12:43 AM
i hope tomorrow we see fritsche as left wing on the third line over prucha.

I wouldn't mind seeing Fritsche either. But, can you really complain the way Prucha played today? I wouldn't take him out of the lineup.

If you want to take someone out, take out Orr - TB didn't play a very physical game today. We might be able to get away with keeping him out of the lineup tomorrow. We're the home team tomorrow, so Renney can decide based on who TB has in their lineup if Orr is needed.

CurseThis
10-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Well, Voros certainly isn't going to score 30 goals, but I think he's a better player than Sjostrom, and you have him on the 3rd line. Voros will hit, crash the net and stand in the crease much more frequently then Sjostrom will. Which will help the other guys on his line score more.

I think Sjostrom is a 4th line player at best, an upgrade over Hollweg (as we saw the end of last season), but more of a spare part.

You people are over-rating Voros severely. He's here to replace Hollweg, not Avery.

Sjostrom is MUCH better than Voros all-around. He has more speed, skates better, plays better defense and he has better offensive skills. The only area Voros has an advantage over Sjostrom is size.

As for offense from the 4th line? You're not going to get any offense with Betts as center and Orr riding shotgun. They are two of the most offensively inept players in the NHL.