PDA

View Full Version : NBA.com 2008-2009 Season Preview: Sacramento Kings

Kyle N.
10-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Second-year Kings head coach Reggie Theus has to be careful not to pull a Rick Pitino when addressing his oh-so-young squad this season.
You can almost hear him now:

“Ron Artest isn’t walking through that door! Mike Bibby isn’t walking through that door! Shareef Abdur-Rahim isn’t walking through that door …”

No Reg, they’re not. The three players on the Kings’ 2007-08 opening day roster with the most experience, career accomplishments and name recognition have all fled Cow Town like stragglers from the herd. But fortunately for Theus, he’s still left with a nice collection of malleable spring chickens to work with.

Who cares if they’re virtually anonymous to the average fan.

They are led by Kevin Martin who has a name that makes you think Coldplay and a game that makes you think cold-blooded. The 6-7, 185-pound shooting guard is one of the most proficient scorers in the league thanks to a wonky, yet reliable J and a knack for getting to the charity stripe where he hit .869 of his attempts last season.

He’s flanked by Brad Miller who casual observers might remember for his flameout on U.S.A. Basketball’s 2006 World Championship entry followed by a nightmarish 2006-07 season when his production dipped across the board. Just like Knight Rider, 90210 and NKOTB Miller is on the comeback trail after putting up a solid campaign last year and taking Spencer Hawes under his wing.

After Martin and Miller, the Kings’ collective Q-Rating takes a major hit.

Their next three best players statistically speaking are Beno Udrih, Francisco Garcia and John Salmons whose names, if you're like me, make you immediately think of Sacha Baron Cohen, a Major League Baseball relief pitcher and a lawyer in a John Grisham novel, respectively.

That’s not to say they can’t play. Udrih is a crafty point guard who can control the tempo and has decent court vision; Garcia was awarded a five-year, $30 million deal this summer by the Kings’ brass for his progress and Salmons is the living definition of “solid” with his does-a-little-bit-of-everything numbers and ability to play three positions.

This group of unknowns and underrateds was able to claw its way to 38 wins in the deeper-than-the-Mariana-Trench West last season. If its young talent progresses sooner rather than later, Theus’ squad just might see that number rise.

Hawes, along with rookies Jason Thompson and Donte Greene, are all 6-11 or taller and all carry the reputation of giving opposing defenses all they can handle with their versatile games. Hawes is the wide body with the soft touch, Thompson’s the wide body with the rough touch and Greene’s the long body with the touch from long range. If they can all reach their potential, Sacto will have a frontcourt of the future worthy of sharing minutes with K-Mart and the rest of the guards.

The door is closed on the past. All that’s left in Sacramento are a bunch of guys whose future looks bright.

-- Dave McMenamin

NBA.com
(http://www.nba.com/preview2008/sac.html)

Beno7500
10-01-2008, 11:42 PM
i READ THIS A LITTLE BIT AGO, JUST COMPLETE TRASH

sacgiants1213
10-01-2008, 11:53 PM
how is it trash?

Kyle N.
10-01-2008, 11:58 PM
I thought it sucked. The first mistake was calling Sacramento "Cow Town". Sactown would have been acceptable, but Cow Town? Get a life dude. Otherwise, it's just stupid "I really don't know anything about the Kings I just looked at some stats really quick" stuff. The only good part about it is that they said we have a bright future (which we do). Otherwise, my friend's pet gopher could have done better.

sacgiants1213
10-02-2008, 12:01 AM
that's basically all i got out of this article.....we got a bright future, nothing the fans already didn't know.

Beno7500
10-02-2008, 12:53 AM
The NBA only knows teams with a big city and supertsar players IE, LA, Miami, Boston, etc

Kyle N.
10-02-2008, 12:56 AM
The NBA only knows teams with a big city and supertsar players IE, LA, Miami, Boston, etc

That's true. But the guys on NBA TV usually know what they're talking about. They know the Kings like we do for the most part I'd say.

Beno7500
10-02-2008, 01:04 AM
Ya they do, but the regular just nba poeple only know them. it pisses me off. i mean the heat were terrible last season and everyone thinks they will go far in the playoffs, assuming they will make it

Kyle N.
10-02-2008, 01:41 AM
Ya they do, but the regular just nba poeple only know them. it pisses me off. i mean the heat were terrible last season and everyone thinks they will go far in the playoffs, assuming they will make it

:cheers: Well at least somebody on this godforsaken forum understands. They'll certainly be better than last year, but they've proven nothing otherwise.